What's new

New naval exercise focuses on firing missiles undetected.

Aarush

Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian Navy has begun a month-long war-game with the underlying purpose of fine-tuning its skill of firing a missile at enemy without being detected.

The massive exercise, involving Indian Navy’s aircraft-carrier INS Viraat, nuclear-powered submarine INS Chakra and several destroyers, frigates and submarines, seeks to perfect the Navy’s ability to launch missiles avoiding enemy nations’ surveillance systems.

To deceive adversaries’ electronic detection systems, a key input would be provided by India’s only military satellite, GSAT-7, run by the Navy.

Thanks to the indigenous satellite, Navy’s eastern and western fleets are networked, giving them an operational edge in the dense maritime environment of Indian Ocean.

“We are witnessing an ever-increasing presence of extra-regional navies and multinational forces in support of the US-led operations in the Indian Ocean region,” said Navy vice-chief Vice-Admiral Robin Dhowan in Delhi.

Being held under the watchful eye of Navy chief Admiral D K Joshi and Vice-Admiral Anil Chopra, commander-in-chief of Eastern Naval Command, the mock war drill will involve firing of missiles, torpedoes and the anti-missile system.

Delhi-class destroyers and a whole range of naval frigates, missile boats and submarines are taking part in the war game. Joint operations will be carried out with the Air Force involving its Su-30 and Jaguar aircraft and IL-78 mid-air refuellers. A special Army team on amphibious operations too will hone its skills in this war game.

The theatre-level exercise takes place in the backdrop of increasing economic and strategic importance of Indian Ocean, because of which the US too has shifted its focus from traditional views. “Oil arteries of the world flow through the Indian Ocean region, and any impediment to free-flow of energy resources could have a profound effect on regional as well as global economies,” said Dhowan.

Almost the entire naval aviation fleet, including the three latest P8I long-range surveillance aircraft, will be in action. In addition, IL-38 with Sea Dragon suite and Dorniers will maintain keep eagle’s eye on vessel movement in the high seas, while Sea Harrier fighter jets will take off from the decks of INS Viraat.

New naval exercise focuses on firing missiles undetected | idrw.org

To deceive adversaries’ electronic detection systems, a key input would be provided by India’s only military satellite, GSAT-7, run by the Navy.
that is interested what could be the input???

Can anybody please enlighten me, what's the use of a Jaguar in naval operations. Is it able to fire Klub missiles?does it have enough range so as to provide support beyond India's maritime boundaries.. I thought IAF used the Jags for ground attack roles. And strangely we don't hear the mention of the Harriers which are mainly for naval roles only.

Can anybody please enlighten me, what's the use of a Jaguar in naval operations. Is it able to fire Klub missiles?does it have enough range so as to provide support beyond India's maritime boundaries.. I thought IAF used the Jags for ground attack roles. And strangely we don't hear the mention of the Harriers which are mainly for naval roles only.
Harriers are mentioned in the article. And Jags carry the Harpoon II ASM.

What about mig 29K?
I was thinking that but I think that, given the K/KUBs pilots just started carrier qualification on the Viky last week they are very busy with that process and that that is the SQD's priority right now.

What about P8-I?
What about it?

Almost the entire naval aviation fleet, including the three latest P8I long-range surveillance aircraft, will be in action.

It'll be there.

What about P8-I? India should allow America to station drones across India to help keep Indian ocean open to all traffics.

India will allow US to behead you stop repeating such stupid questions ...LOL

You seem rather obsessed with American drones on Indian land ....Grow up and make at least some intelligent looking comments .

I was thinking that but I think that, given the K/KUBs pilots just started carrier qualification on the Viky last week they are very busy with that process and that that is the SQD's priority right now.

They should have practiced with mig 29k since that's our front line naval fighter aircraft. Besides I'd love to see that bird in action ;)

IAF has deployed about 39 Jaguars-IMs for naval operations. They can't fire Klub missiles but they can fire Harpoon-II missiles. Rest of Jaguars are for ground operations(around 100).

What about P8-I? India should allow America to station drones across India to help keep Indian ocean open to all traffics.

O.K as we said before you are funny... but repeating same sh!t all day steal the punch out of it... you know what I wanna say..

IAF has deployed about 39 Jaguars-IMs for naval operations. They can't fire Klub missiles but they can fire Harpoon-II missiles. Rest of Jaguars are for ground operations(around 100).
Thanks bro... I thought on P8 and harriers were able to fire harpoons.. But do these Jags have enough range to support the navy in Blue water roles far away from the mainland. Also are these upgraded Jags or the older ones?

Thanks bro... I thought on P8 and harriers were able to fire harpoons.. But do these Jags have enough range to support the navy in Blue water roles far away from the mainland. Also are these upgraded Jags or the older ones?
Yes P8-I can fire Harpoons too while sea harriers are equipped with sea eagle anti-ship missiles and Jaguar-IMs can fire both Harpoon and sea-eagle missiles. Jaguars have a good combat radius of around 700KM without external fuel and more than 900KM with external fuel or with IFR. Currently Our Jaguars are getting Darin-3 upgrades with Multi mode radars, new glass cockpit, digital displays, new engines and new mission avonics.
PS: MKIs are also equipped with long range anti-ship missiles like KH-59 with 280km range.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom