What's new

New doors open for PAF

Moscow

BANNED
Reaction score
reports from the indian media seems to clarify that out of the 6 original members for the mmrca saab gripen has failed to make the grade so only 5
of the original members remain.
points from the report state.

technical evaluation committee (TEC) in the Air Headquarters having sent evaluation report to the ministry of defence.

According to sources, based on the recommendations made by the TEC, after examining the technical bids, the Swedish "JAS 39 Gripen" has failed to make grade on the technology front for the deal. "The recommendations were made last week and now the ministry of defence has to take a final decision on this," sources explained

The five bidders, including Boeing's F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, Dassault's Rafale, Eurofighter's Typhoon, Lockheed Martin's F-16, Russian Aircraft Corporation's (RAC's) MiG with the MiG-35, are now expected to participate in the field trials that will start in a couple of months," said sources

the complete article:5 in fray for IAF's $10-bn deal for 126 aircraft

with this recent change in events paf can look forward to getting more from the swedish company as they were hesistant before due to this deal.
is paf considering any of the saab equipments worth its use then which ones might attract its attention.?

thanx:cheers:

The Gripen was the other contender against the J10 during PAF evaluations before the big F16 orders around 2006.

But for the time being the focus seems to be on integrating the F16s, JF17 and FC20 so adding Gripen to the mix would only serve to complicate this.

gripen was not chosen because of its price. otherwise it was described as a brilliant machine by our airforce personnel.

But having said that the Gripen NG was unveiled after PAF evaluations and is a more potent machine.

Why cant we still try to get some ??

But having said that the Gripen NG was unveiled after PAF evaluations and is a more potent machine.

thats true sir the gripen NG is too good a machine to ignore .if you compare the new paf f-16 with the gripen ng.
thanx

PAF might buy Gripen after India go select's its MRCA Fighter Jet but anyway its good news.Sweden did not sell us Gripen becuase they wanted to sell them to India :D

Its definitely a good machine but J10B is even a better machine. PAF should be more focused on improving JF17 and acquiring more J10B.

We dont know much about j-10b as of now gripen in other hands is another story ! plus i dont think if they didnt sell them to us before why would they sell now and didnt we reject it before cuz of the price issue ! watever the case int he end i think if we can grab them we should atleast 2 sqn will do!!

Got to bear in mind that the engine on Gripen NG is American so it would cause potential headaches in terms of supply of parts etc.

PAF might buy Gripen after India go select's its MRCA Fighter Jet but anyway its good news.Sweden did not sell us Gripen becuase they wanted to sell them to India :D

Correct me if I am wrong but I have read somewhere (one of the forums) that the Grippen has always been available for us. Someone said that even with ToT but we didnt buy it because 1. Its expensive 2. we do not have the technological/industrial base to benefit from the ToT 3. We chose china because we would like a gurantee of an uninterrupted supply of any spares in case of war.

Gripen NG was offered for Plus One, but initial induction date of 2014+ may have not been favourable to PAF...remember initial FC-20 (possibly 4.5 gen J-10B) will arrive sooner. While Gripen NG is unlikely, I do think Saab's avionics and radar-technology (working with Thales on AESA) will definitely see interest in PAF for use on JF-17. Beyond this, Pakistan is still looking to expand its ties with Saab by seeking RBS-23 BAMSE; possibly Erieye for PN due to Hawkeye-2000 issues; possibly RBS-15mk3 if Turkey chooses the missile.

After concluding with JF-17 and FC-20, if the PAF is still looking for another fighter, then it might as well be 5th generation. My personal opinion is that if PAF wants ties with Sweden in this area, then it would be showing interest in the Saab 5th Gen Concept offered to South Korea. IIRC Turkey is still interested in joining another next-generation fighter consortium. So if there is indeed a chance, then I think Pakistan could theoretically pursue this Saab 5th.Gen project with Turkey, South Korea and other favourable partners.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3179/ksaab78zx0.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5893/ksaab108fi8.jpg

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/224/ksaab248oe9.jpg

Ideally this bird could enter service when we want to replace the F-16A/Bs and any outstanding systems like Mirage ROSE and F-7PG.

Last edited:
MMRCA is nothing to do with PAF decision to buy JF17 or potential bid for J10.

If the swedes sell you AWACS they can sell you war planes

Same goes to Rafael or Typhoon.

The issue has always been cost

These European planes start at $50m each rising to over $100m .

FAR TOO MUCH MONEY.

PAF will get J10 for $35m max

F16 will come with USA grant aid.

first 42 JF17 costing $15m each will be acquired with soft loans from china " words of ACM Tanvir" approx $650m

THE EURO OPTIONS TODAY are a non starter

El Nino,

Either write something after knowing the facts or don't write anything at all. If you cannot back up your statements with facts, then you are writing nothing but what comes out the rear of a bovine specie knows as the Bull.

How are the F-16s coming from grant money? Where have you read that? All new F-16s are being paid from Pakistani money. There is nothing in there coming from the US. So please get off your high horse for a change. The same was the case with the earlier order of 60 F-16s that Pakistan wanted. We had started paying for it, otherwise you see the $650 million that the US kept and then returned in the form of soy beans would not have been returned to us.

I see your tendency to slip in insults here and there which have absolutely no grounding in reality. I'd suggest you take care posting unfounded claims.

Lets see how you guys pay for the MMRCA. The same goes for the MKI. Simply do some research and you will find out that all your purchases have also been financed and are still being paid for WITH interest. This is how the world works.

gripen was not chosen because of its price. otherwise it was described as a brilliant machine by our airforce personnel.

Price was great. What the real problem was the issue of sanctions. The Swedes could not provide any guarantees as the aircraft had American engine and parts in it. It was PAF's second choice in any case after the F-16. Once the F-16 tap was opened, PAF decided to get more of the Vipers. I do not think there are any plans to purchase any further western platforms beyond the F-16 (exception being F-35 if Americans allowed it down the road).

Back
Top Bottom