What's new

New 50,000 tonnes Replenishment Vessel

Beside replenishment vessels, US has large network of oversea ports accept their ships.
Even Cam Ranh harbour ever received several US ships for repairing, maintenance, ...

US naval ship docks at Cam Ranh Bay
11/20/2012 6:26:37 PM | voice of vietnam
USNS_Alan_Shepard_%28from_MSC%29.jpg

(VOV) - TheUSNA Alan Shepard(T-AKE4) docked at Cam Ranh Bay on November 20 and is scheduled to remain at the Cam Ranh Shipyard for maintenance until November 26.

The 41,000 tonne logistic ship, grouped under the US Fleet in the Asia-Pacific region, is 210m long and more than 30m wide.

Thanks to its naturally appropriate conditions and geographic position, six US logistic ships have been repaired at Cam Ranh Shipyard since 2010.

Yes, other than sea-based replenishment vessels, as you have shown land-based facilities or services are equally essential.

Following USN experience China is also gradually developing support stations (or services-outsourcing) in conjunction with nations along major trade routes. This will help alleviate US taxpayers' excessive burden on maritime security provision, after all China is among largest beneficiaries of maritime trade, and therefore through PLAN, Chinese taxpayers should start to pickup a fair share of international maritime security bills.

Last edited:
Some were converted into oil tanker, the rest are breaking up and recycle..........

Breaking then up is a waste I think. Unfortunately we did the same thing with our aircraft carriers and maritime patrol aircrafts 5 years ago. We would have been better off selling them even at far lower prices to other large developing countries
article-2401491-1B721B3B000005DC-940_968x556.jpg

article-2401491-1B724201000005DC-21_968x612.jpg

article-1350150-0554F0740000044D-15_634x332.jpg

article-1350934-0CEFA301000005DC-182_634x349.jpg
:disagree:

Last edited:
Breaking then up is a waste I think. Unfortunately we did the same thing with our aircraft carriers and maritime patrol aircrafts 5 years ago. We would have been better off selling them even at far lower prices to other large developing countries
article-2401491-1B721B3B000005DC-940_968x556.jpg

article-2401491-1B724201000005DC-21_968x612.jpg

article-1350150-0554F0740000044D-15_634x332.jpg

article-1350934-0CEFA301000005DC-182_634x349.jpg
:disagree:

Well.........I guess we cannot be always upsetting the balance of any region, despite this is what other people call us and our country have been doing.

I like it when they scuttle big ship and turn it to reef.

Detonations_aboard_the_USS_Oriskany.jpg

USS_Oriskany_sinking.jpg

There is no doubt that the 901 is a fine ship. This said, someone mentioned the old replenishment
ships of the USN with what I perceived as a bit of derision or assumed superiority ( might be in my mind only ).

It must be understood that the support ships do not need to grow due to a new approach.
In a move clearly directed at both an adaptation to the more tech/less hulls conundrum &
a possible to likely face-off in the huge expanses of the Pacific beyond the second line of
defence islands chain, the USN is turning to a concept called sea-basing.
Navy, Marines to test seabasing concepts at Korean exercise - News - Stripes

New type vessels will be virtual floating ports serving the traditional replenishment ones and
even directly to the combat units. If this strategy succeeds, an increase in size of the support
ships will not be required.

China on the other hand is stoutly but still modestly aiming for a bluish waters force for which
such beauties as the 901 are the appropriate tool.
That is what Shotgunner hinted at at top of page.

All a matter of strategy and a few years from a proper qualitative evaluation, Tay.

P.S. And good day all!

There is no doubt that the 901 is a fine ship. This said, someone mentioned the old replenishment
ships of the USN with what I perceived as a bit of derision or assumed superiority ( might be in my mind only ).

It must be understood that the support ships do not need to grow due to a new approach.
In a move clearly directed at both an adaptation to the more tech/less hulls conundrum &
a possible to likely face-off in the huge expanses of the Pacific beyond the second line of
defence islands chain, the USN is turning to a concept called sea-basing.
Navy, Marines to test seabasing concepts at Korean exercise - News - Stripes

New type vessels will be virtual floating ports serving the traditional replenishment ones and
even directly to the combat units. If this strategy succeeds, an increase in size of the support
ships will not be required.

China on the other hand is stoutly but still modestly aiming for a bluish waters force for which
such beauties as the 901 are the appropriate tool.
That is what Shotgunner hinted at at top of page.

All a matter of strategy and a few years from a proper qualitative evaluation, Tay.

P.S. And good day all!

Good post my friend!

I suppose some poster might be ignorant of the fact that China is a major shipbuilding nation (second only to South Korea) which can build a full spectrum of ships. Mega logistics ships in civilian sector are very common, say the more than 200,000 tonne (21,000 TEU) boxships that Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding (SWS) is constructing, 6 of these built concurrently. How Big? Let's look at a "smaller" ship, CLSL Globe 18,000 TEU container vessel:

Mega ships can be built, China is good in building mega stuff, but military procurement is very different from the business sector. Naval "assets" generate zero revenue, and entirely paid by tax. No governments in the world (barring the "Exceptionalism" aka financial immunity) can sustain sky-high debts, so responsible governments will manage with limited budget (China's defence budget is only 1.3% of GDP, lower than France).

But on the other hand, external trade last year was $4 trillion, 57% of exports being electro-mechanicals, merchandise trade surplus hit $0.6 trillion, top partner for 100+ nations, world largest exporter of capital, world largest net assets holder ...... these suggest China, through expanding PLAN moderately, should start picking up a fair share of the bills on international maritime security, it's unfair for foreign taxpayers to continue footing the bills for China's sake, continue setting new records in debts.

Last edited:
And, one of the smallest ships in PLAN, the perfect tool for the SCS and its pressing developments
that is the Houbei, packs what may be the best tactical efficiency worldwide, based on a strategic
concept that is almost diametrically opposite to those of the US. But for the operation theatre it was
designed for, it may carry as much punch as the Tamil Tigers from a while back, i.e. over its weight!

So here again, size doesn't guarantee much! And those 22s don't cost enough to grieve a budget!

Sorry for the off-topic, Tay.

And, one of the smallest ships in PLAN, the perfect tool for the SCS and its pressing developments
that is the Houbei, packs what may be the best tactical efficiency worldwide, based on a strategic
concept that is almost diametrically opposite to those of the US. But for the operation theatre it was
designed for, it may carry as much punch as the Tamil Tigers from a while back, i.e. over its weight!

So here again, size doesn't guarantee much! And those 22s don't cost enough to grieve a budget!

Sorry for the off-topic, Tay.

That's fine bro, I guess we both grasp the idea. Talking about big, sorry I go off topic as well, check "Mega Engineering" at 超级工程-独家官网_纪实台_央视网(cctv.com) and I hope some ignorant poster sense what "big" means.

Yes I concur with you, Type 22 can be viewed as a tactic rather than a piece of asset, well it does receive less attention in the forum, In general I see far more discussions here on eye-catching platforms than say tactics, strategies, let alone geopolitical game plans or visions. By the way what do you mean by Tamil Tigers?

Its good that he gets banned. :lol: He can continue to cry about China progress.

This replenishment ship is modern and beautiful looking.

View attachment 280690

She can compete with the Royal Navy new design replenishment ship look.
The PLA(N)'s 901 looks good but I think it's hard to say anything looks better than DCNS's Brave class:

dcns-brave-image05.jpg

Q021693612100864717.jpg

By the way what do you mean by Tamil Tigers?

The LTTE from Sri Lanka that, whatever else one may think of them re-pioneered the swarm tactics with
captured cargos as logistics bases to allow for more reach for their small crafts.

Half Houbei, half sea basing and quite the precursors if you see what I mean?

Have a great evening, Tay.

The PLA(N)'s 901 looks good but I think it's hard to say anything looks better than DCNS's Brave class:

dcns-brave-image05.jpg

Q021693612100864717.jpg

The Brave class is a beauty no doubt, but it is quite a bit smaller than the 901.

Back
Top Bottom