What's new

Nawaz agrees to travel abroad for medical treatment.

Then he's a convicted felon on the run.

Pakistan has the option to ask for his arrest an extradition via interpol/host government. The UK may play spoil sport, but it would actually be far worse for Nawaz if he refused to return after treatment and was arrested and extradited back to Pakistan.
Ya like they would do that. Did they return the Ganda thats sitting in the uk?

Ya like they would do that. Did they return the Ganda thats sitting in the uk?
I agree, getting European nations to return criminals to Pakistan is hard given various factors, but like I said, if Nawaz doesn’t return he becomes a coward in the eyes of much of the electorate and the government could potentially use that as a basis to start proceedings to confiscate his assets.

It’s nowhere near as big a deal as some people are making it out to be. Whether he returns or absconds, its win-win for PTI.

Come on guys take a break, that 443 Million Dollars is the money Saba took from us by scamming us via phone , and also people start to pay back Benazir income support fund, and Jeeto Pakistan prizes , every week I win at least 100,000 PKR + 25/50 Tola sona, so we Pakistani's decides to pay back to Govt :whistle:

But is it a win for the due process of law?
As far as I know, his travel abroad is proceeding per due process of law. The courts have him 8 weeks of bail in medical grounds to get treatment. The law is being followed in terms of taking his name off the ECL and allowing travel abroad.

As far as I know, his travel abroad is proceeding per due process of law. The courts have him 8 weeks of bail in medical grounds to get treatment. The law is being followed in terms of taking his name off the ECL and allowing travel abroad.

You may be correct, but what law allows a convicted criminal in jail to be let go in this manner short of a pardon?

The law was followed in regards to the 8 week bail however court is not ready for responsibility to pass order to have the name be removed off ECL..

You may be correct, but what law allows a convicted criminal in jail to be let go in this manner short of a pardon?
I personally disagree with the concept of 'bail' after conviction - the government should handle treatment of prisoners and they should still be in 'prison', albeit at a hospital in Pakistan (if necessary) with prison/police guards.

My sense is that these parts of the law in Pakistan (different class facilities in jails, bail after conviction etc) were put in place by the elites to cover their asses in case they had to go to prison. We need clarification and, if necessary, reforms in the laws to remove these anomalies.

@VCheng

Here's a commentary on a similar situation (accused granted post conviction bail):

https://www.dawn.com/news/1403403

The law was followed in regards to the 8 week bail however court is not ready for responsibility to pass order to have the name be removed off ECL..
That's where the delay is - Government, NAB, courts - all have a stake in this. The PTI appears to be wanting to make sure that due process is followed in granting NS permission to go abroad, hence the reference being forwarded to NAB.

Additionally, it appears that removing the name of a convict from the ECL is something that has to go in front of a cabinet committee for approval per the rules.

I personally disagree with the concept of 'bail' after conviction - the government should handle treatment of prisoners and they should still be in 'prison', albeit at a hospital in Pakistan (if necessary) with prison/police guards.

My sense is that these parts of the law in Pakistan (different class facilities in jails, bail after conviction etc) were put in place by the elites to cover their asses in case they had to go to prison. We need clarification and, if necessary, reforms in the laws to remove these anomalies.

@VCheng

Here's a commentary on a similar situation (accused granted post conviction bail):

https://www.dawn.com/news/1403403

That's where the delay is - Government, NAB, courts - all have a stake in this. The PTI appears to be wanting to make sure that due process is followed in granting NS permission to go abroad, hence the reference being forwarded to NAB.

Additionally, it appears that removing the name of a convict from the ECL is something that has to go in front of a cabinet committee for approval per the rules.

To me personally, it is far more important that justice is seen to be done for all to see, and not just running rings around due process, which, as you say, may very well be manipulated.

He is not going anywhere. Its going to be discussed tomorrow in cabinet. The ministers are against his going abroad and so is Imran Khan.

Imran Khan said yesterday giving relief and showing kindness to these criminals had brought Pakistan to its knees. So I dont think he is going anywhere and that is heartening to know.

In order to go abrooad and get out of jail, there is a plea bargain law. He can avail it. Return the money and go to hell.

He is not going anywhere. Its going to be discussed tomorrow in cabinet. The ministers are against his going abroad and so is Imran Khan.

Imran Khan said yesterday giving relief and showing kindness to these criminals had brought Pakistan to its knees. So I dont think he is going anywhere and that is heartening to know.

In order to go abrooad and get out of jail, there is a plea bargain law. He can avail it. Return the money and go to hell.

Unless you have some inside information, circumstances are not pointing towards, what you are saying.

U-Turn....

U-Turn....
Not necessarily. Do you know if a majority vote is required in the cabinet meeting or is it a mere formality with IK making the decision regardless of what the majority of the cabinet thinks?

If the majority of the cabinet opposes the decision to take NS off the ECL, should IK still take Nawaz’s name of the ECL?

Not necessarily. Do you know if a majority vote is required in the cabinet meeting or is it a mere formality with IK making the decision regardless of what the majority of the cabinet thinks?

If the majority of the cabinet opposes the decision to take NS off the ECL, should IK still take Nawaz’s name of the ECL?
Everything is formality for elites,law is only for common Pakistanis.
A convicted felon on bail,and is looking forward for flying out of state.State is looking like dwarf infront of these elites.
P.S:-From start i was of opinion that everyone not just two political families should be held responsible and after Nawaz health was in bad shape i was of opinion that he should be given treatment,but the way things are happening tells us that might is right,and we are just mere spectators.

Back
Top Bottom