What's new

Navy designs India’s largest ever ship, focuses on stealth and futuristic f

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Tucked in a South Delhi residential hub, hundreds of miles away from sea, India’s next generation of warships are silently getting shape on the drawing boards of naval architects. The unassuming setting of the Directorate of Naval Design, in Kailash Colony, gives a flawed impression of the kind of complex work going on inside. The designers are in the middle of the construction of India’s largest ever ship, Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), which when completed around 2018 will be four-and-a-half acres of the country’s territory floating in the sea.

Along with the IAC, whose phase II of construction will be launched next week by Defence Minister A.K. Antony in Cochin shipyard, designs of a whole range of futuristic frigates and destroyers have also been finalised. The future belongs to stealth and navy’s new warships will have distinct “clean” look against the usual clutter on the deck of conventional vessels. The sensors, weapons and radars will all be integrated in such a manner that it avoids detection by enemy’s probing devices.

The navy already has stealth warships like Talwar class and Shivalik class frigates but the concept of deception in warship construction would be taken to new levels in future vessels. Director General, naval design, Rear Admiral A.K. Saxena said warship construction in India has come a long way. The three ships of Shivalik class are navy’s most modern assets.

The navy’s design centre has completed designs for Project 15B, the enhanced version of the three Kolkata class destroyers under construction at Mumbai’s Mazgaon Dock Limited (MDL). The design of Project 17A, an estimated rS 50,000 crore programme to build seven frigates, has also been completed and final nod is awaited from the defence ministry to launch construction. Cost negotiations have been completed for Project 17A which are follow-on ships of the Shivalik class (Shivalik, Satpura and Sahayadri), sources said.

Out of the seven new ships of the class that are to be constructed, four will be built at MDL and three in Kolkata’s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE). The two shipyards have been upgraded for the work, said officials. Work on India’s first completely indigenous next generation missile corvette, Project 28A, is already underway and the first boat which is undergoing sea trials is expected to be inducted by the end of this year after much delay. The navy will have four of these corvettes – Kamorta, Kadmat, Kiltan and Kavaratti.

If shipbuilding plans remain on track, the navy will operate two brand new aircraft carriers by the end of this decade. While INS Vikramaditya, undergoing final delivery sea trials in Russia, is expected to be inducted next year, the IAC will be in the force by the end of 2018.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/indigenous-aircraft-carrier--ins-vikramaditya-directorate-of-naval-design-a.k.-antony-talwar-class-shivalik-class/1/298054.html

India China two polar opposites.

India, nothing remotely resembling even the planning stage, starts to brag.

China, even though we have already started to built, some even finished. Will lie to your face and say don't know anything.

If the Type 52D was Indian, I'm sure at the stage where the name was just came up, the world would know about it.

Not sure if this is a culture thing or what.

China, even though we have already started to built, some even finished. Will lie to your face and say don't know anything.

If the Type 52D was Indian, I'm sure at the stage where the name was just came up, the world would know about it.

Yes it is culture thing maybe, even I am surprised.

Its ur govt that is secretive,not as if sinofanboys aren't jumping up and down to hype their products.You guys were comparing type 52D with zumwalt class destroyer.:rofl:
Indian media is extension of indian fanboys,take it seriously at ur peril.

I think under India's democratic system the Indian military (and DRDO) need to advertise their weapons to ensure a constant flow of public funding for the defence (including DRDO) budget.

Under China's system gaining funding is a more internal (one) Party and military bureaucratic issue with no need or tradition of openly seeking public support for funding.

Also there's a wider Indian cultural thing (a bit like Australia) of openly expressed public and government pride in national technical achievements.

Pete

Lord China is Here ....Please Bow

Oh Lord China....

"Will lie to your face and say don't know anything." I like this part. It sums up the CCP

That's exactly why we are stronger than India and taken more seriously in the international community. India is only given attention when the someone wants a favour from India.

This is why we will always remain ahead if India.

It is indeed funny to see Chinese members bragging about never bragging. Sums it all up, doesn't it?

It is amazing that they don't realize the inherent irony and self contradiction in boasting about being modest. Reminds me of a girl I know arguing with her parents about whether or not she argues with her parents. But then she was 8 years old, cannot be expected to understand the self goal.

Look at poor @Snowden above - boasting that he is culturally superior and will always be superior to Indians, "oh we are so great" and so on, and the reason being that they never brag or boast. Damn!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Large size" seems to be the latest fashion trend.......Japan recently showed off her largest warship she ever built.

it seems word ship is giving nightmares to chinese...yesturday it was Japan today its India.

it seems word ship is giving nightmares to chinese...yesturday it was Japan today its India.

Nightmare?

Just Jap‘s tiny 27000-tonne frigate(at least how it is called by the Japs)?

You seriously think that your yet-to-be-finished drawings are gonna make us fret when we don't give a sh1t about and stand tall over the US’ 11 100000-tonne nuclear-powered flattops?

Stop kidding yourself。India does not even register on our radar。:omghaha:

Nightmare?

Just Jap‘s tiny 27000-tonne frigate(at least how it is called by the Japs)?

You seriously think that your yet-to-be-finished drawings are gonna make us fret when we don't give a sh1t about and stand tall over the US’ 11 100000-tonne nuclear-powered flattops?

Stop kidding yourself。India does not even register on our radar。:omghaha:

That speaks about the quality of your radar. Hahaha.

If it dsnt effect you why bother and bring china in let us discuss about the ship.coments like china that china this only shows your maturity.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom