What's new

Navy, Army and IAF finally agree to procure armed drones from US in $3 bn deal

genius ,
we have professionals who can judge what is beneficial and at which cost arms should be purchased .

Well regarding some equipment purchases even many in India doubt the ability of your "professionals" when purchasing....
General Yassar...why on earth would they need sonarbuoys if they have the greatest submarine hunters in their inventory- ALA over 2 dozen P8-I's? plus two leased Sea Guardian drones.

Btw, Maritime MQ9B has Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW) and Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) configurations

So let me get this straight, you feel your navy UAVs do not require sonarbuoys? You realise this is important ASW equipment right?

listen no matter which way you look at this
usa,drones,are the best in the business .
30 drones across,3 services is,a,huge boost in capability.
for those questioning indian military decisions,. I think our professionals no more than any part time forum enthusiast with a more than slight patriotic envy and bias.

I'm.loving the usa,hardware coming this way
heck even our Tejas is powered by a,top class usa engine
so much for the doom merchants you brought s400 usa will.sanction you.

broken record speak to mind

I did say usa will.give India the,waiver and indian defense,planners have known this from.the outset

Last edited:
twitter ?
full of false flagger pakistanis .

Verified ex Indian officers who are on twiiter and write for Indian publications are Pakistanis? Basically men who have served your country and hold a contrary view are labelled Pakistani? No wonder your whole country is going crazy....
India to Buy First U.S. Armed Drones to Counter China, Pakistan (bloombergquint.com)

Loitering weapons with huge range and endurance

This is where and how India may use Usa combat drones

Great news! More $$$$ for US R&D and less $$$$ for Indian R&D. Keep it up

your S400 from Russia costs you 4000% over the cost
Are you sure? Turkey's procurement costed like $1.25b per system, and $625m per battery, and each battery includes 8 missile carrier vehicles, 1 long range search radar vehicle, 1 short range search radar vehicle, 2 communication vehicles, 1 command vehicle, 1 fire control radar vehicle, 2 missile replanishment vehicles. It rather seems pretty good deal to me tho.

Education? SA has good universities! instead of focusing on North America or Europe where its bleeding expensive to go and study.
This is excellent. Particularly for the Navy.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) , this is an interesting acquisition. Do you think that 10 MQ9B SeaGuardian would be able to fill the requirements for the IN? Consider the background.

IN has been very focused lately on increasing its maritime domain awareness and doing it without fanfare (relative to the airforce). The acquisitions and capability acquired over the last decade have been in multiples of what they have historically had. The P-8 is a quantum leap over the Soviet technology they historically had access to, not to mention the availability rates of the P-8 are significantly higher than what the Tu's and IL's had. The MH-60R is an upgrade on similar lines. The capability (and numbers/availability) they bring are an order of magnitude higher than what was possessed before.

Their initial plan was to acquire around 18 P-8I's (long-range MPA) and around 10 medium-range MPA. Boeing pitched P-8 lite and some others too pitched in. Ultimately Navy decided to scrap this tiered system as not being cost-effective (another platform vs capability). They have, so far, ordered 12 P-8s. I believe strong budgetary constraints will mean no new orders (though there is an off chance that they order more as the CDS has been pretty wowed by the P-8's. They were one of the primary instruments of surveillance during both the Doklam and Laddakh standoffs).

In light of this, do you think the MQ9B fills the medium-range patrol, a different requirement, or is this a costly experiment?
It's likely an initial tranche (as the IAF had required 22 MQ-9Bs). I would be interested in seeing the level of synergy the IN is going to get between the P-8s, MQ-8Bs and MH-60Rs. It should all just work considering it's coming from one source that had already integrated and deployed them in the manner the IN wants.

Moreover, what will be the fate of the TEDBF? If the IN wishes to build upon the system it's procuring from the US, why wouldn't give the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet a serious look? I would -- and, in turn, make sure everything across the maritime domain works.

You know I have come to realize something, it's that india's modus operande is a lot like the Najdi-Sauds and Najdi-Emiratis .... throw lots of money and buy western weapon systems and all will just a-okay! What a splendid notion for the american military industrial complex :devil:

@rent4country & @akshay gehlot
You’re on a Pakistani forum - know your place and refrain from sarcastic attacks on Pakistani members commenting on various threads.
It would be great if, instead of talking in an ambiguous desi manner, you would clearly specify what their place is. The increased transparency would make it easier for you and other members of this forum.
It's likely an initial tranche (as the IAF had required 22 MQ-9Bs). I would be interested in seeing the level of synergy the IN is going to get between the P-8s, MQ-8Bs and MH-60Rs. It should all just work considering it's coming from one source that had already integrated and deployed them in the manner the IN wants.

Moreover, what will be the fate of the TEDBF? If the IN wishes to build upon the system it's procuring from the US, why wouldn't give the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet a serious look? I would -- and, in turn, make sure everything across the maritime domain works.
Yeah, the integration should be interesting to watch. I only just realized that the naval aviation fleet is becoming American. A point to be noted here is that COMCASA and BECA were not signed before the P-8 acquisition and therefore they lack the secure communication equipment that MH-60Rs and MQ-9s will have. The P-8s use BEL made Indian comms. I don't know the level of their communication capability with the rest of the fleet. If anything, Balakot and the ensuing fracas have shown is that the military's (not the Navy specifically) overall focus on secure and seamless communication has been lacking.

I don't think the Navy will get new fighters anytime in the next decade. The budgetary constraints are far too significant and there are other pressing priorities. The MoD will continue the facade of RFI and RFQs without coming to a conclusion.

Last edited:
It would be great if, instead of talking in an ambiguous desi manner, you would clearly specify what their place is. The increased transparency would make it easier for you and other members of this forum.
You're guests - act like guests and behave yourselves and keep your language civil and polite. Disagreeing with your hosts does not require being rude and disrespectful.

This is patently obvious and should not need repeating and will not be repeated.

A point to be noted here is that COMCASA and BECA were not signed before the P-8 acquisition and therefore they lack the secure communication equipment that MH-60Rs and MQ-9s will have. The P-8s use BEL made Indian comms. I don't know the level of their communication capability with the rest of the fleet.

The second tranche which was ordered after signing those will have the upgraded equipment and also an ability to share data and communicate with US Boeing P8A's

Back
Top Bottom