What's new

Naval ships to be added to Bangladesh Navy by 2013

anyone got any credible news regarding continued construction of the Durjoy-class 64m LPCs/corvettes at KSY?
I also have heard about it, but didn't get any credible source....

Quite a few weeks ago I have posted an AMI reporting on that in the Bangladesh navy section. But, I have lost the link since then. AMI report speaks clearly that two LPC (Durjoy?) will be built in China and another two in Khulna with Chinese collaboration.

yea, I saw that report as well.... lets hope they are correct.... I haven't seen any verification of that though.... BD newspapers reported (citing parliamentarians) only about the first two Type 056 corvettes that are currently under construction in China.... they don't talk about future construction....

Quite a few weeks ago I have posted an AMI reporting on that in the Bangladesh navy section. But, I have lost the link since then. AMI report speaks clearly that two LPC (Durjoy?) will be built in China and another two in Khulna with Chinese collaboration.

Regarding the corvettes the news was published in an Indian magazine.

FORCE - A Complete News Magazine on National Security - Defence Magazine

Sorry, I have taken the liberty to copy and paste the entire feature below without your permission. There are many new and latest information, I believe. 13th September is the date of its publication. ***eastwatch***

Industrial Embrace
Khulna Shipyard signs a contract for five IPV and seven guided-missile corvettes with CSOC
By Prasun K. Sengupta

Bangladesh’s state-owned Khulna Shipyard recently signed a contract with China’s Shanghai-based Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard and the China Shipbuilding & Offshore International Ltd (CSOC) for licence-building five inshore patrol vessels (IPV) and seven guided-missile corvettes.

While the IPVs are based on the 80-tonne Huang Pu-class vessel, the guided-missile corvettes, to be built to a brand-new design, will each have a displacement of 260 tonnes, length of 46 metres, beamwidth of 7.4 metres, and have a top speed of 30 Knots. While the CSOC will supply the first two guided-missile corvettes off-the-shelf, the remaining five will be licence-built by Khulna Shipyard.

Each such vessel will be armed with up to four CPMIEC-built C-802A anti-ship cruise missiles. The IPVs will each have a length of 27.5 metres, beamwidth of 5.5 metres, and a maximum speed of 18 Knots. On-board armaments will comprise twin 14.5mm machine guns.

For navigational purposes, one I-band Type 347G mast-mounted radar will be installed on each IPV. The combat information centre (CIC) for the FFGs and guided-missile corvettes will be supplied by CETC International.

It may be recalled that Dhaka had announced an ambitious force modernisation plan in February 2009 for its armed forces, which included the procurement of anti-armour guided-missiles and anti-ship cruise missiles, up to four medium-range maritime patrol aircraft, two guided-missile frigates (FFG), a regiment of NORINCO-built Type 96G main battle tanks, and two CATIC-supplied Z-9C shipborne helicopters.

Subsequently, Bangladesh’s Parliamentary Standing Committee in June 2009 agreed in principle to approve a 10-year force modernisation programme (known as the ‘deterrent force’ and to be fully realised by 2021), under which the Bangladesh Navy would acquire two stealthy FFGs, seven guided-missile corvettes, three large OPVs equipped with helicopter decks, 12 maritime patrol craft, one diesel-electric submarine, two landing craft (utility), two hydrographic survey ships, one salvage vessel, five coastal IPVs, and new-generation anti-ship cruise missiles (Otomat Mk2 Block 4 from MBDA and C-802A from CPMIEC) and short-range air-defence systems (FN-90N) for installation on board the Navy’s existing FFGs — BNS Osman and BNS Bangabandhu.

The Bangladesh Navy in future is expected to replace its three existing ex-Royal Navy frigates (BNS Abu Bakar, BNS Ali Haider and BNS Umar Farooq) with three new-generation FFGs to be provided by CSOC. Each such FFG will have a displacement of 1,500 tonnes, length of 97 metres, beamwidth of 10.90 metres, and a maximum speed of 30 Knots.

The FFG will also be able to accommodate a medium-twin shipborne helicopter like the Z-9C, and will be armed with a 76mm main gun, up to 30 vertically-launched 35km-range air-defence missiles, twin triple-torpedo launch tubes, and four C-802A anti-ship cruise-missiles.

I've given my opinion on the previous page... but for the ease of debate, I'm posting my observations here once again.....

the IPVs are said to be 27.5, 18kts, 2x14.5mm m.g.s.... whereas, in reality, the Padma-class is 50.4m, 23kts, with 2x37mm and 4x20mm guns.... and then 46m corvettes weighing 260tons??..... their credibility is really at stake..... lets just hope that their mention of unit numbers is okay.... although I can hardly rely on this....

in addition to these....... the three replacements for the three ex-RN frigates are already on their way to BD..... the ex-USCG cutter Jarvis and the two ex-PLAN Type 053H2.... the report here says that these would be 1,500t frigates.... whereas, the two Type 056 corvettes that we know are now under construction in China are supposed to be around 1,500t.... I can't really put my faith on such a haphazardly finished report...

Sorry, I have taken the liberty to copy and paste the entire feature below without your permission. There are many new and latest information, I believe. 13th September is the date of its publication. ***eastwatch***

Industrial Embrace
Khulna Shipyard signs a contract for five IPV and seven guided-missile corvettes with CSOC
By Prasun K. Sengupta

Bangladesh’s state-owned Khulna Shipyard recently signed a contract with China’s Shanghai-based Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard and the China Shipbuilding & Offshore International Ltd (CSOC) for licence-building five inshore patrol vessels (IPV) and seven guided-missile corvettes.

While the IPVs are based on the 80-tonne Huang Pu-class vessel, the guided-missile corvettes, to be built to a brand-new design, will each have a displacement of 260 tonnes, length of 46 metres, beamwidth of 7.4 metres, and have a top speed of 30 Knots. While the CSOC will supply the first two guided-missile corvettes off-the-shelf, the remaining five will be licence-built by Khulna Shipyard.

Each such vessel will be armed with up to four CPMIEC-built C-802A anti-ship cruise missiles. The IPVs will each have a length of 27.5 metres, beamwidth of 5.5 metres, and a maximum speed of 18 Knots. On-board armaments will comprise twin 14.5mm machine guns.

For navigational purposes, one I-band Type 347G mast-mounted radar will be installed on each IPV. The combat information centre (CIC) for the FFGs and guided-missile corvettes will be supplied by CETC International.

It may be recalled that Dhaka had announced an ambitious force modernisation plan in February 2009 for its armed forces, which included the procurement of anti-armour guided-missiles and anti-ship cruise missiles, up to four medium-range maritime patrol aircraft, two guided-missile frigates (FFG), a regiment of NORINCO-built Type 96G main battle tanks, and two CATIC-supplied Z-9C shipborne helicopters.

Subsequently, Bangladesh’s Parliamentary Standing Committee in June 2009 agreed in principle to approve a 10-year force modernisation programme (known as the ‘deterrent force’ and to be fully realised by 2021), under which the Bangladesh Navy would acquire two stealthy FFGs, seven guided-missile corvettes, three large OPVs equipped with helicopter decks, 12 maritime patrol craft, one diesel-electric submarine, two landing craft (utility), two hydrographic survey ships, one salvage vessel, five coastal IPVs, and new-generation anti-ship cruise missiles (Otomat Mk2 Block 4 from MBDA and C-802A from CPMIEC) and short-range air-defence systems (FN-90N) for installation on board the Navy’s existing FFGs — BNS Osman and BNS Bangabandhu.

The Bangladesh Navy in future is expected to replace its three existing ex-Royal Navy frigates (BNS Abu Bakar, BNS Ali Haider and BNS Umar Farooq) with three new-generation FFGs to be provided by CSOC. Each such FFG will have a displacement of 1,500 tonnes, length of 97 metres, beamwidth of 10.90 metres, and a maximum speed of 30 Knots.

The FFG will also be able to accommodate a medium-twin shipborne helicopter like the Z-9C, and will be armed with a 76mm main gun, up to 30 vertically-launched 35km-range air-defence missiles, twin triple-torpedo launch tubes, and four C-802A anti-ship cruise-missiles.

I've given my opinion on the previous page... but for the ease of debate, I'm posting my observations here once again.....

the IPVs are said to be 27.5, 18kts, 2x14.5mm m.g.s.... whereas, in reality, the Padma-class is 50.4m, 23kts, with 2x37mm and 4x20mm guns.... and then 46m corvettes weighing 260tons??..... their credibility is really at stake..... lets just hope that their mention of unit numbers is okay.... although I can hardly rely on this....

in addition to these....... the three replacements for the three ex-RN frigates are already on their way to BD..... the ex-USCG cutter Jarvis and the two ex-PLAN Type 053H2.... the report here says that these would be 1,500t frigates.... whereas, the two Type 056 corvettes that we know are now under construction in China are supposed to be around 1,500t.... I can't really put my faith on such a haphazardly finished report...

I think, you are completely wrong about classification method of naval ships. Weight is only a minor factor. There are many other factors that are taken into consideration by any Navy. I do not think you believe that BN is run by complete novices, isn't it? I wonder why should the classification be a point of discussion when it has already been decided by the top brass of BN.

sorry to say that you're completely wrong about interpretation of my post!!

where did I dispute classification of the naval ships in this post??..... I just pointed out how wrong the report was regarding ship specs..... 27.5m ship and 50.4m ships are not the same, not even close!!.... the actual size of the ship was almost double of what he wrote there!!..... and 2x14.5mm guns is not equal to 2x37mm+4x20mm guns!!..... and 260t corvette??..... our latest LPCs are over 600t displacement!!.... almost three times the size of what he had posted!!..... the Type 056 corvettes are around 1,500t displacement!!....

why is it so difficult to accept that the report writer was casual about the ship specs he was quoting?.... you didn't write the report, neither did I.... the report writer was wrong.... is it too difficult to accept??

sorry for being so harsh on this.... it had to be!

I think, you are completely wrong about classification method of naval ships. Weight is only a minor factor. There are many other factors that are taken into consideration by any Navy. I do not think you believe that BN is run by complete novices, isn't it? I wonder why should the classification be a point of discussion when it has already been decided by the top brass of BN.

Thanks. I appreciate the news writer from India although he made many basic mistakes with the size or weight of the boats. This fellow tried his best although he is a layman about military wares.

He's working for a magazine that solely focuses on defence news an yet made the mistakes....should we trust the magazine??

He's working for a magazine that solely focuses on defence news an yet made the mistakes....should we trust the magazine??

The report was in an Indian magazine and was written by a layman news reporter. We cannot even trust many internationally recognized military magazines. What they say today does not come true tomorrow. And the Indian paper is not an acclaimed one.

But, I do not think we should fuss about every line, colon and semi-colon of a news. Some news are intended for only the domestic readers. If a layman news writer says a wrong length or width of a Corvette, we should just disregard them. It ends there.

Rather, we should take note of the major contents, such as the number/type of vehicles, weapons, ships and their strengths.

I will prefer to post a news on our military purchases whenever I find it. From many discussions we will find out the truths. I usually do not read or scrutinize a report. But, some people here thinks it is written by myself. People should take everything easy.

I found a pretty reliable article from AMI International, talking about our ships and potential purchases. It made a lot of sense to it. Have a read people :-

Bangladesh - Fleet Renewal in Full Swing

As of mid-March 2013, AMI continues to receive information in regards to the Bangladeshi Navy (BN) modernization efforts. These developments fulfill the requirements for a three dimensional naval force consisting of air, surface and subsurface units that was announced by the Minister of Defense in 2009.

Continuing and new projects are as follows:

A. Type 056 Corvette: Source indicates that Wuchan Shipyard in China began construction on the first two units on 08 January 2013. Additional units (at least two) will be built a Bangladesh's Khulna Shipyard (KSY).

B. South Korean Corvette: Source indicates that that the BN ordered two South Korean corvettes with delivery scheduled for 2013. These corvettes could be additional Ulsan I class frigates of which one was built for the BN in 2000 or it could be a scaled down version of the Incheon (FFX) class being built for the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN). A third possibility is that these vessels could be used Ulsan class frigates or Pohang class corvettes that will be retiring from the ROKN over the next several years as the Incheon class begin entering service. AMI is attempting to verify this information and will update this article as appropriate.

C. 64-Meter Fast Attack Craft (FAC): The first two 64-Meter FAC built at Wuchang Shipyard in China were commissioned into the BN as the BNS Durjoy (P811) and BNS Nirmul (P812). Source indicates that six additional units will be built in country at KSY. Information received on 17 September 2012 indicated that the BN increased 64-Meter FAC program from four hulls to eight. The first unit of the additional four hulls is expected to be ordered by the end of 2013.

D. 50-Meter Patrol Boat: On 22 January 2013, the first 50-Meter patrol boat built at KSY, BNS Padma (P312), was commissioned. AMI estimates that 24 additional units of the Chinese designed patrol vessel will be built at KSY through the end of the decade.

E. Used Vessel Transactions: The BN is expected to take delivery of two used Chinese Type 053H2 frigates that were offered in late 2012. These will supplement the BN's aging surface force until Type 056 corvettes are delivered. The BN may also order the larger F22P frigates in the next decade following completion of the Type 056 program and the 62-Meter FAC program.

Sources continue to state that the BN will procure diesel-electric attack submarines (SSK) from China. The latest information suggests that up to US$1B has been provided for the program. AMI believes that two used Chinese Song class SSKs could be the candidates for this program. Bangladesh is reportedly training submarine crews in Turkey. Assuming that the US$1B funding figure is correct, this could entail the purchase of two used Song class followed by two new construction submarines after 2020, possibly the Yuan class.

In mid-December 2012, the US announced that it would be transferring the USCG Hamilton Class Heavy Endurance Cutter (WHEC) Jarvis (WHEC-725) to the BN by late 2013. Additionally, 16 Defender class patrol craft will also be transferred to the Bangladesh Coast Guard (BCG).

There is no doubt that the BN's fleet renewal is in full swing and when complete will be as advertised, three dimensional. With the new force being primarily South Korean and Chinese, the BN has been able to stretch its very limited funding resources in order to maximize this effort. The renewal effort is more than likely as a result of the continuing naval modernization efforts in the region, which includes Pakistan, India, Thailand and Myanmar.

Additional information on this article can be obtained by contacting Pat Bright at AMI International (Tel: + 1 757 963 7719 or E-mail: pbright@amiinter.com). Additional information on Bangladesh can be found by visiting the Bangladesh Country report at: http://www.amiinter.com/wnpr/bangladesh/index.html.

http://www.imdexasia.com/pdfs/AMI-Naval-Mkt-HN-March2013.pdf

they need to update this report quite regularly, I guess!! :)
things are moving quite quickly for BN.....
they called the 64m Durjoy-class FAC, which may not be entirely right.... the ships are actually more like corvettes.... FACs are usually fast ships, which is why they are called FACs..... these ships can do 28kts only....
as it was of March 2013, they were yet to get some more updates..... but the number of ships of the Durjoy-class got me interested.... there was an interview of a KSY official on a local newspaper quite a while back (when Durjoy-class was still under construction), where he said that KSY is capable of building such LPCs..... probably the deal was well advanced by then....

I found a pretty reliable article from AMI International, talking about our ships and potential purchases. It made a lot of sense to it. Have a read people :-

As of mid-March 2013, AMI continues to receive information in regards to the Bangladeshi Navy (BN) modernization efforts. These developments fulfill the requirements for a three dimensional naval force consisting of air, surface and subsurface units that was announced by the Minister of Defense in 2009.

A. Type 056 Corvette: Source indicates that Wuchan Shipyard in China began construction on the first two units on 08 January 2013. Additional units (at least two) will be built a Bangladesh's Khulna Shipyard (KSY).

B. South Korean Corvette: Source indicates that that the BN ordered two South Korean corvettes with delivery scheduled for 2013. These corvettes could be additional Ulsan I class frigates of which one was built for the BN in 2000 or it could be a scaled down version of the Incheon (FFX) class being built for the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN). A third possibility is that these vessels could be used Ulsan class frigates or Pohang class corvettes that will be retiring from the ROKN over the next several years as the Incheon class begin entering service. AMI is attempting to verify this information and will update this article as appropriate.

C. 64-Meter Fast Attack Craft (FAC): The first two 64-Meter FAC built at Wuchang Shipyard in China were commissioned into the BN as the BNS Durjoy (P811) and BNS Nirmul (P812). Source indicates that six additional units will be built in country at KSY. Information received on 17 September 2012 indicated that the BN increased 64-Meter FAC program from four hulls to eight. The first unit of the additional four hulls is expected to be ordered by the end of 2013.

D. 50-Meter Patrol Boat: On 22 January 2013, the first 50-Meter patrol boat built at KSY, BNS Padma (P312), was commissioned. AMI estimates that 24 additional units of the Chinese designed patrol vessel will be built at KSY through the end of the decade.

E. Used Vessel Transactions: The BN is expected to take delivery of two used Chinese Type 053H2 frigates that were offered in late 2012. These will supplement the BN's aging surface force until Type 056 corvettes are delivered. The BN may also order the larger F22P frigates in the next decade following completion of the Type 056 program and the 62-Meter FAC program.

Sources continue to state that the BN will procure diesel-electric attack submarines (SSK) from China. The latest information suggests that up to US$1B has been provided for the program. AMI believes that two used Chinese Song class SSKs could be the candidates for this program. Bangladesh is reportedly training submarine crews in Turkey. Assuming that the US$1B funding figure is correct, this could entail the purchase of two used Song class followed by two new construction submarines after 2020, possibly the Yuan class.

In mid-December 2012, the US announced that it would be transferring the USCG Hamilton Class Heavy Endurance Cutter (WHEC) Jarvis (WHEC-725) to the BN by late 2013. Additionally, 16 Defender class patrol craft will also be transferred to the Bangladesh Coast Guard (BCG).

There is no doubt that the BN's fleet renewal is in full swing and when complete will be as advertised, three dimensional. With the new force being primarily South Korean and Chinese, the BN has been able to stretch its very limited funding resources in order to maximize this effort. The renewal effort is more than likely as a result of the continuing naval modernization efforts in the region, which includes Pakistan, India, Thailand and Myanmar.

Additional information on this article can be obtained by contacting Pat Bright at AMI International (Tel: + 1 757 963 7719 or E-mail: pbright@amiinter.com). Additional information on Bangladesh can be found by visiting the Bangladesh Country report at: http://www.amiinter.com/wnpr/bangladesh/index.html.

Most are spot on, except the report about f22ps. It is very unlikely we will purchase those, our navy's primary focus is the security of the potential resources in the Bay of Bengal and EEZ around the coast. For this we need OPVs, corvettes and frigates. The 650 tonne LPC/light corvettes and the type 56 function well, the frigates will more likely be modified type 54s and not f22ps, with the first batch built in china and the next built at KSY. By 2025 we will either be building locally designed corvettes and frigates or as part of a joint venture.

Most are spot on, except the report about f22ps. It is very unlikely we will purchase those, our navy's primary focus is the security of the potential resources in the Bay of Bengal and EEZ around the coast. For this we need OPVs, corvettes and frigates. The 650 tonne LPC/light corvettes and the type 56 function well, the frigates will more likely be modified type 54s and not f22ps, with the first batch built in china and the next built at KSY. By 2025 we will either be building locally designed corvettes and frigates or as part of a joint venture.

Lets hope so. I would also like to see locally made missile & torpedo boats. They should be easier to build in engineering terms compared to corvettes and frigates. These boats are small, fast and can help guard the EEZ as well.

Cheers!!!

Back
Top Bottom