What's new

Naval History

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We have seen numerous references to books on the PAF and the PA.

are there any books written on the PN?

i have not come across any!

thanks to comment please!

The below information may help in asking the PN authorities about more details.

Address and Contact No's

PN Central Library
At Pakistan Maritime Museum
Habib Ibrahim Rehmatullah Road
Karachi

Email:pnlibrary@yahoo.com

Telephones

Reception : 021-48503111-316
Director : 021-48503211
Research Librarian : 021-48503210

Fax

Fax : 021-9240712

Same. Unfortunately, the Pakistan Navy has not published any official history books (as far as I know), unlike Pakistan Air Force, and they have not been deeply studied and discussed by national and international scholars, unlike the Pakistan Army. When looking to learn more about the history of our Navy, I had to rely on books related to the '65 and '71 wars, and other books that mention the Navy.

In any case, here's a very short list of sources that were thankfully available through my university:

Role of smaller navies: a focus on Pakistan's maritime interests
Anwar, Muhammad.
Published in 1999, Directorate of Naval Educational Services, Naval Headquarters (Islamabad)
ISBN 10: 9698318011

No easy answers: the development of the navies of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka, 1945-1996
Goldrick, James
ISBN: 1897829027

Indian Ocean navies: technological advances and regional security
Published in 1990, Centre for Indian Ocean Regional Studies, Curtin University of Technology, Australian Institute of international Affairs (Perth, Australia, Canberra, Australia).
This one I can't guarantee will talk about PN. I haven't read it or even seen the cover.

Any book on the 1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak Wars as well as the Royal Navy would also be very useful. But there is very little chance of finding an up-to-date book containing information about the current fleet, capabilities, training methodologies, etc.

The below information may help in asking the PN authorities about more details.

Email:pnlibrary@yahoo.com
**********? Is this the official Pakistan Naval Library's official communication address? I surely hope not.

Last edited:
PAFAce - thanks very interesting indeed!

Unfortuntaely it is true that PN is still using a yahoo domain. Here is the email for Director Public Relations (DPR) at Naval HQ in Islamabad, Captain Asif Mujeed Butt is dpr_navy@yahoo.com & dpr_navy@hotmail.com. Don't be surprised if you don't get an answer when you email or fax. The latter is off half the time - and I am speaking from experience. Your best bet is to call them, as the phones do tend to get answered and eventually you'll be able to get to speak to either the DPR or his number two, Commander Salman Ali who sits in Karachi.

Back to the subjects of books, yes it is true that there aren't many books out there. To date only 3 have been published by PN book club. One is called Story of the Pakistan Navy 1947 - 1971, published in the early 90's. Another is called simply Pakistan Navy and its a fairly general almost coffee table type book, published in the late 90's. Ths book is the source of many of the old pics we see floating on websites (as well as the Navy magazines and calendars). Sea Phoenix is the 3rd book published in 2006/07 and is all about the sinking/recovery of PN's midget sub (Its a good book). It was written by Adm Zahir Shah who runs the PN history cell and also authored 'Bubbles of Water'.

All these books are difficult to come by as they never get sold on the open market, unless of course you happen to acquire one through a friend in PN. Why is that? I have no idea, but its silly to shut out so many potential readers. Much the same story with the SSG book (in Urdu)

The history cell at the maritime museum won't be of much help - again I say this from experience.

On a finishing note, I do know that there is book being written on PN, with a focus on PN SSGN and Marines. One thing I can say for sure is that its being published by the author and is aimed at the mass market - so easily available. Its currently slated for release late 2010, but realistically I would say first quarter of 2011.

Lindsy

lindsyebanks

my god... you know so much about PN... i am starting to have a lil suspection on you... ahhm ahmmm... Intelligence agency? :lol:

btw can you plez tell us about Type-214 deal or about PN future acquisition..

thanks..

Hahahaha! No Growler, not from any intel background. I am fairly knowledgable on most defence related matters, partly due to my work and partly personal interest as with most members on this forum. Access to information is easy in the west and certainley way more than is available in Pakistan. But what I have detailed has already been available on the public domain in the past.

I can't tell you for sure about future plans other than what I have read in the press. It would be a real shame if selfish politicians were to force a decision on the new sub acquisition as is being reported. Lets just wait and see and hope that PN leadership will stand the test of time, just as one of its former chief HMS Choudiri did during his tenure. I am sure you recall when we all heard that PIA had selected Airbus aircraft and then a week later were told that Boeing aircraft were being selected instead. The nature of politics in third world countries - as in Pakistan.

As for the rest of PN's future acquisition plans, its all what has been recited in the press. And I would only be repeating it as well as boring the members.

Last edited:
Hello everybody,
I'm reviving this topic to avoid posting a new one.
I wont hide that I'm here in this forum in order to collect some informations about your italian midget submarines.

On this theme, I'm desperately looking for Admiral (Ret.) Mian Zahir Shah's book, titeld "Sea phoenix: a true submarine story", PN Book Club, 2005, ISBN 9698318046.
The hunt its not easy to me since I do live in Italy, til now I've contactd progressivebooks.net, and they told me that this book its out of stock even with the publisher.
Thats the only pakistani online library that I found til now.

I really thank TaimiKhan for PN Library contacts, I've sent an email.
So as you may have understood, since this book its out of stock the only chance that I have is looking among libraries in Pakistan.
My problem is that there are very few pakistani online libraries, I could call by phone but its hard to me target these stores down there.

Could you guys that live down there help me getting this document? I would be eternally grateful and more then glad to exchange the favour in any way!

If you dont know where to find it, can you help me getting Adm. Mian Zahir Shah's contact?

I thank you everybody!

i got one, really cannot recall its name at the moment.
i am in Lahore and will be going home after two weeks, will update you guys regarding its name and publisher.

i sort of stole it from my chachu's collection who is in Navy(a doctor);)
i know he do not use this forum..:lol:

it was a history book, a bit old but very well covers the early ages of PN.

regards!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom