What's new

NATO supply cut hurting Pakistan’s Economy

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
NATO supply cut hurting Pakistan’s Economy

The Pakistan Economy Watch (PEW) on Sunday demanded steps to avoid losses to the economy after suspension of the NATO supplies.

The Government should continue to cut vital supply line but chalk out a plan to keep economy clear of any negative impact, said Dr. Murtaza Mughal, President of the PEW.

Talking to leading transporters including VP, ICCI Shahid Zaman Shinwari, he said that the Nov 26 decision to cut NATO supplies has resulted in clogging at seaports.

Dr. Murtaza Mughal said that piled up supplies are impeding commercial activities which is resulting in losses to all the stakeholders.

Seaports and border stations are transit points which should not be allowed to become choked storage or parking area, he said.

Shahid Zaman Shinwari said that containers and takers have also created congestion at Torkham and Chaman which is hurting trade between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The situation has also created shortage of commercial vehicles pushing up Karachi-Peshawar per trailer shipping cost by around Rs 30,000, he said adding that hike in cost and delays has a negative impact on overall fragile business environment.

Demanding immediate removal of containers, Shinwari said that Afghan-bound Nate’s huge logistics chain mainly consist of fuel which can be called as living bombs.

Others present on the occasion included Ch. Azad, Mushtaq Afridi, Pervez Shinwari, Haji Syed Kand, Ismail Shinwari and others. They lauded the decision to slap embargo on NATO goods in the wake of aggression.

They informed that majority of transporters ferrying supplies have cancelled their deals with Karachi based companies facilitating NATO after Mohmand Agency aggression.

They supported the moves to boycott Bonn conference, rejection of American findings and compensation offer terming it insufficient grounds for restoring supply lines.

ONLINE - International News Network

NATO supply cut hurting Pakistan economy

The Pakistan Economy Watch (PEW) on Sunday demanded steps to avoid losses to the economy after suspension of the NATO supplies. Government should continue to cut vital supply line but chalk out a plan to keep economy clear of any negative impact, said Dr. Murtaza Mughal, President of the PEW.

Talking to leading transporters including VP, ICCI Shahid Zaman Shinwari, he said that the Nov 26 decision to cut NATO supplies has resulted in clogging at seaports. Dr. Murtaza Mughal said that piled up supplies are impeding commercial activities which is resulting in losses to all the stakeholders.

Seaports and border stations are transit points which should not be allowed to become choked storage or parking area, he said. Shahid Zaman Shinwari said that containers and takers have also created congestion at Torkham and Chaman which is hurting trade between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The situation has also created shortage of commercial vehicles pushing up Karachi-Peshawar per trailer shipping cost by around Rs 30,000, he said adding that hike in cost and delays has a negative impact on overall fragile business environment.

Others present on the occasion included Ch. Azad, Mushtaq Afridi, Pervez Shinwari, Haji Syed Kand, Ismail Shinwari and others. They lauded the decision to slap embargo on NATO goods in the wake of aggression. They informed that majority of transporters ferrying supplies have cancelled their deals with Karachi based companies facilitating NATO after Mohmand Agency aggression.

NATO supply cut hurting Pak economy

Find a parking lot for NATO supplies and charge US/NATO a demurrage fee for storage. This will clear the way for ordinary Afghan transit.

I disagree, look at it in terms of the reduction in terrorism in Pakistan. We get one or two incidents a week now, compared to 20 before that.

In terms of boost that the economy can get with a stable and secure Pakistan, there is no comparison.

its hurting economy ok? no problem not bleeding us with drones border attacks and WOT mess .we are happy in money lose .go to hell NATO - US and there bloody supply and dirty war.

The politicians are still hedging their bets on resuming the supplies.

Or maybe they are incompetent as usual and haven't worked out a plan to address the repercussions of the supply cutoff.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

I disagree, look at it in terms of the reduction in terrorism in Pakistan. We get one or two incidents a week now, compared to 20 before that.

In terms of boost that the economy can get with a stable and secure Pakistan, there is no comparison.

Yes, but a responsible government will assess the impact of a decision and try to provide alternative options for people whose livelihood is affected. It's like providing new skills training for people who are unemployed.

Maybe these idiot politicians were hoping for the workers to complain of job loss and ask for a resumption of supply lines.

If the supply contains food(then give it to poor)
If the supply contains weapon (give it to army).
if the supply contains money (give it to politician).

In some way it will be benefial to the country :enjoy:

no we no need maal e haraaam we will send back all there things back

Find a parking lot for NATO supplies and charge US/NATO a demurrage fee for storage. This will clear the way for ordinary Afghan transit.

I am ambivalent on this. Right now Pakistan has the moral high ground on stopping the supplies and exiting the WOT for good. If we charge storage fees, then we are implicitly obligated to deliver the goods at some point.

return_to_sender.png

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

The goods don't belong to Pakistan. The only honorable option is to return to sender.

there would not be any supply after this WoT. better get used to this effected economy.

It is my opinion things will never go back to the way they were before the Nato strikes. America's posturing will eventually end and it will play ball.

Not because Pakistanis would blink, but because the decision has been taken in America itself. They need a hostile Pakistan as much as we need to show them hostilities.

It needs an exit, this is as good as it gets. 'Front-line state' pulled out.

It is my opinion things will never go back to the way they were before the Nato strikes. America's posturing will eventually end and it will play ball.

Not because Pakistanis would blink, but because the decision has been taken in America itself. They need a hostile Pakistan as much as we need to show them hostilities.

It needs an exit, this is as good as it gets. 'Front-line state' pulled out.

Today is 12-26. I was wrong in my estimate that NATO supplies would resume within one month.

I agree with you AA that, this time, something is different. I hope Pakistan makes the best of this opportunity to set things right.

Today is 12-26. I was wrong in my estimate that NATO supplies would resume within one month.

I agree with you AA that, this time, something is different. I hope Pakistan makes the best of this opportunity to set things right.

Finally you agreed!!!

A american newspaper printed a report that relations will now never be the same as before.

Back
Top Bottom