What's new

NATO Summit: Pakistan Offers No Quarter

Pakistan holds the trump card in the end game in Afghanistan, and the outcome of the current dispute depends on how well Pakistani leaders play their cards.

Pakistan has the longest border with Afghanistan and wields more influence there than any other country. It also provides the nearest seaport to Kabul. That is the fundamental reason why the U.S. has provided more than $20 billion to the country over the past decade, much of it to ensure supply logistics to US troops. “If we want to be successful in Afghanistan,” as General James L. Jones Jr., former National Security Advisor to President Barack Obama, said in recent congressional testimony, “the roads to that success have a lot to do with Pakistan.” Given these ground realities, the sooner the US apologizes to Pakistan for the Nov 26 incident to try and restore ties, the better it will be to achieve an end to the longest war in US history.

Haq's Musings: Vulnerability of US Supplies in Afghanistan

He told the gathering of more than 50 nations that “Pakistan believed in partnerships based on trust and respect. Partnerships that will secure the future of our people.”

He is starting to wisen up :azn:

Now he is turning into one of those democratic leaders who become eyesore for Amreeka regardless of their commitment to "democracy". Time for another US based dictator in Pakistan??

For this courage alone, I have started to respect Zardari..it is not easy to be cornered by 40 nations and still able to speak up firmly!

GEO Zardari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

382376-zardariobamakarzaichicagonatobilateralmeetingphotoAFP-1337636691-386-640x480.jpg

I though Obama refused to meet zardari??

Some one once said, the state of Pakistan can be best described as, Lions lead by Lambs.
I guess the Lion bit is wearing on those Lambs now.

Not necessarily. Do you remember successive Pakistani governments' consistent refusal to sign NPT and subsequent decision to develop and test nuclear bombs and ballistic missiles in defiance of intense US pressure?

Haq's Musings: US Worries About "Loose WMDs" in Pakistan

I am really surprised with the marde monim mentality. Arey bhaiya, does Pakistan actually have any quartwr to give? Pakistan is currently asking for a certain sum of money. They earlier were getting money for their services but now they think that the money was not enough to cover insurance for events like salala and the army wants more CS Funds now. So where is Pakistan actually giving?? Fanboys!!!!

I can appreciate your sense of fairness, and I hope you will still have it when Zardari inevitably messes up next time. Inevitably.

I'm not arguing for his re-election - as someone beat me to it, vote still Imran ka.

He is haggling on the price, which goes to him.

If he takes 5000/2 per truck for himself.

And as per initial American estimates they need to send 650 trucks per day.

That means, 2500 x 650 = USD 1,625,000 per day in his pocket.

Say this goes on for 1 year till he remains President.

That's 1,625,000 x 365= USD 593,125,000

Not bad for 3 days of work = USD 197,708,333 per day of work. How much can you earn in a day?

I can appreciate your sense of fairness, and I hope you will still have it when Zardari inevitably messes up next time. Inevitably.

I think more credit is due to GHQ imo. They outmanoeuvred Americans. I loved their response to Americans lol go ask parliament and civilian leaders knowing full well with elections any political leader caving in would be committing electrol suicide

I also think Americans/Obama were stupid to allow this apology thing to get out of hand. You will note not only Turks but UAE who came to Pakistan agree that an apology should be given

I think more credit is due to GHQ imo. They outmanoeuvred Americans. I loved their response to Americans lol go ask parliament and civilian leaders knowing full well with elections any political leader caving in would be committing electrol suicide

That indeed was a gem of a move in some ways.

Shift it all to the government, and government then puts it onto the parliament.

Allah Allah khair sallah.

Any body noticed that whenever democracy comes in, relations with US go sour!!!

THe army has shown great restraint not to come in and force the issue.

We must not open nato supply, first and foremost they should unconditionally appologise secondly should pay for all those killed in salala and all other drone strikes third we are independent country we have every right to live

I'm not arguing for his re-election - as someone beat me to it, vote still Imran ka.

He is haggling on the price, which goes to him.

If he takes 5000/2 per truck for himself.

And as per initial American estimates they need to send 650 trucks per day.

That means, 2500 x 650 = USD 1,625,000 per day in his pocket.

Say this goes on for 1 year till he remains President.

That's 1,625,000 x 365= USD 593,125,000

Not bad for 3 days of work = USD 197,708,333 per day of work. How much can you earn in a day?

I don't think the maths is going to work out quite like that, but I can wait for the final deal to be struck to see how the money will flow and from which accounts to which accounts.

I think more credit is due to GHQ imo. They outmanoeuvred Americans. I loved their response to Americans lol go ask parliament and civilian leaders knowing full well with elections any political leader caving in would be committing electrol suicide..........

So you are clearly admitting that foreign policy is still controlled by the GHQ and that referral to the PCNS was a cynical ploy to derail any chances of a deal.

The future will show this to be as big a blunder by the Generals as Kargil, or perhaps even bigger.

Not necessarily. Do you remember successive Pakistani governments' consistent refusal to sign NPT and subsequent decision to develop and test nuclear bombs and ballistic missiles in defiance of intense US pressure?

Haq's Musings: US Worries About "Loose WMDs" in Pakistan

But post 9/11, due to consecutive bad diplomacy, and poor monitoring of our border with Afghanistan, the odds had pretty much stacked against Pakistan. Time has come for our leaders to break the shackles and stand firm in the interest of the nation and country.

Once again I wonder, if Pakistan haggling and blocking now will be an impediment to NATO leaving then is Pakistan not doing the wrong thing?

Should it not bf facilitating the NATO timeline.

The time to get proper rates for transit has passed, the political climate couldn't be worse.

The desire to see backbone in the leadership shouldn't over ride the requirement to make the RIGHT decision.

However, I also understand Pakistan does not have many cards to play, the need for NATO to apologise for murder of pakistans soldiers is non negotiable, transits are the only card Pakistan has.

If it was upto democracy these trucks would never have stopped. Please stop giving ridiculous high fives to zardari. The DCC cleared his trip with specific instructions. The statements coming out of gilani and hina were pretty clear what this government wants to do but somehow cannot.

If Zardari has given any commitment, he is not in a position to fulfil it.

Great work President Zardari. Playing hard ball with America. Do not give in, without a fight.

I also think Americans/Obama were stupid to allow this apology thing to get out of hand. You will note not only Turks but UAE who came to Pakistan agree that an apology should be given

So you are clearly admitting that foreign policy is still controlled by the GHQ and that referral to the PCNS was a cynical ploy to derail any chances of a deal.

The future will show this to be as big a blunder by the Generals as Kargil, or perhaps even bigger.

Why are you so desperate to look for something I did not say. Trying to go off topic. We can talk about GHQ another day on another thread. Lets just appreciate how Americans your adopted country has been outmanoeuvred in diplomacy by your country of origin (Pakistan in case you forget).

Back
Top Bottom