What's new

Nato caused ‘Rs110bn damage to roads’

The authority informed the ministries of finance and foreign affairs of the situation and demanded compensation but in vain.
Even those trucks and trailers are insured and any damage is paid by US/NATO, there's also maintenance charges included in the tax money the GoP is getting, and should be directed to maintain the roads. I drive on RingRoad regularly and I can even tell what mess these convoys has made out of these roads, but again, our own people are involved in this, and that would be stupid to blame US/NATO for this.

It's a typical Pakistani mindset - can't fix your problems, blame it on others. DAWN news should ask The National Assembly’s Standing Committee that, the contractors of these convoys are sitting in assembly, those same contractors are getting paid by US/NATO for maintenance too, now where the hell that money goes?

Even those trucks and trailers are insured and any damage is paid by US/NATO, there's also maintenance charges included in the tax money the GoP is getting, and should be directed to maintain the roads. I drive on RingRoad regularly and I can even tell what mess these convoys has made out of these roads, but again, our own people are involved in this, and that would be stupid to blame US/NATO for this.

It's a typical Pakistani mindset - can't fix your problems, blame it on others. DAWN news should ask The National Assembly’s Standing Committee that, the contractors of these convoys are sitting in assembly, those same contractors are getting paid by US/NATO for maintenance too, now where the hell that money goes?

well said mate, its something called corruption by hogs sitting in the very assemblies we are expecting to do something right.

India does not provide any assistance to BLA and its not difficult to get Indian-make weapons from sitara market. Secondly if india did provide the afghan taliban would be used by isi to kill everyone in the embassy. third india is a peace loving country and doesnt do these type of things. Fourth no one in the intl community believes it

Tell me if you India is such a peace loving country why you have so many disputes with your neighbours. In fact you dont have any neighbours that are freindly to you and yoh have to go further away to look for freinds.

Tell me if you India is such a peace loving country why you have so many disputes with your neighbours. In fact you dont have any neighbours that are freindly to you and yoh have to go further away to look for freinds.
Atleast we have friends some where in the world who will not be lame ducks if our sovereignty ever gets breached...unlike someone's friend who is doing nothing other than releasing statements for its DEEP FRIEND....

contractors and trucks are pakistani!!

if roads are damaged then it is one of the 2 reasons:

1) roads were of sub standard construction

2) trucks are over loaded beyond maximum capacity!

The neighbors have disputes with us. look at india -bhutan , any issues? only pak and china are the trouble makers. If you see china has problems with all neighbors (pleasee see china-vietnam) Pak harbours terrorists like Dawood. BD only now is friendly and india and BD settled land disputes when india exchanged land with BD. This happened because fundamentalist BNP was thrown out. Nepal, the chinese massacred the royal family and the maoists are in power now. SL - India is a peaceful relation, when india helped the SL govt crush terorism unlike Pak. now tell me, isnt india peace loving?

the contracting companies the drivers work for are owned by the Pakistani military. The extremely high prices they charge for transport services are some of the highest in the world. And should be more then enough cover the road rebuilding. the problem is the money is not going back into the roads but into other pockets.

The high rates being charged are because of the dangers inherent to the job - going through insurgency hit areas in Pakistan and traveling through a war torn country, Afghanistan. The dangerous route means much higher insurance rates for vehicles, equipment and personnel (if insurance will even cover them) etc.

The money is not meant to be 'plowed back into the roads', so that is a false argument to begin with.

And how much does a US Contractor on simple 'sentry duty' (from Xe or DynCorp) make? I have heard figures of up to $250,000 a year.

The neighbors have disputes with us. look at india -bhutan , any issues? only pak and china are the trouble makers. If you see china has problems with all neighbors (pleasee see china-vietnam) Pak harbours terrorists like Dawood. BD only now is friendly and india and BD settled land disputes when india exchanged land with BD. This happened because fundamentalist BNP was thrown out. Nepal, the chinese massacred the royal family and the maoists are in power now. SL - India is a peaceful relation, when india helped the SL govt crush terorism unlike Pak. now tell me, isnt india peace loving?

yes please explain the daily exchange of firing with BD secuirty forces! also Nepalis are tired of you and the chinese equally!! Lankans clearly hated you for your support of tamil tigers! so much for india and its peace loving attitude 1947 saw what you did when you sent trains filled with dead women and children to lahore! we also saw how you grabbed hyderabad,junagadh & kashmir are exmaples of your peace loving stance(back stabbing & double standard)

International Boundary Consultants

The high rates being charged are because of the dangers inherent to the job - going through insurgency hit areas in Pakistan and traveling through a war torn country, Afghanistan. The dangerous route means much higher insurance rates for vehicles, equipment and personnel (if insurance will even cover them) etc.

The money is not meant to be 'plowed back into the roads', so that is a false argument to begin with.

And how much does a US Contractor on simple 'sentry duty' (from Xe or DynCorp) make? I have heard figures of up to $250,000 a year.

I wasn't arguing about the high rates. Simply pointing out as others have here. That portions of the money being paid to the contractors should be going back into road repair. Through Fuel taxes, road taxes, income taxes, ECT. That is how other countries get money for their road repairs. Now maybe Pakistan already has some of these programs in place. And the money is not being put back into road repair because it is being diverted. Maybe you don't have any programs to collect such taxes. In any case that is not NATO's fault. There is more then enough being paid to cover the costs of road repair.

There is more then enough being paid to cover the costs of road repair.

Not if there is no mechanism to collect and use taxes for road repairs, based on usage by truckers, because in that case the rates being charged by the trucking companies do not reflect any potential taxes they would have to pay.

The GoP could handle this a couple of ways, if it has no existing mechanism to collect taxes - consult with the trucking companies and indicate that based on its figures it would collect XYZ amount from them every month to cover the estimated damage (past and current), and that they should pass on the additional costs to the US.

Of course with the US currently holding back over $3 billion dollars in reimbursements to Pakistan precisely for activities such as this king of 'logistical support', among other things, you cant even make the argument that the 'US is paying more then enough for the actual services'.

The US is acting like a thug and paying nothing currently.

Uh huh. Yet NATO doesn't drive through Pakistan. The contractors do. And who are the drivers that owns and drives those trucks?

You really are one ungrateful SOB, aren't you ? Who are those contractors working for Einstein, are they supplying the daily groceries to the White House or making sure that your troops don't starve to death in Afghanistan ? From Oil to the tuna Sandwich that your soldiers eat, it all passes through Pakistan. You should bend over and shine our shoes but since you got no civility and can't do that, the least you can do is say Thank you and get the F**k out.

the contracting companies the drivers work for are owned by the Pakistani military. The extremely high prices they charge for transport services are some of the highest in the world. And should be more then enough cover the road rebuilding. the problem is the money is not going back into the roads but into other pockets.

And how exactly did you come to this conclusion Sherlock, used the some advanced Intel collection methods which were used to detect the WMD's in Iraq ? Would you like to corroborate the assertion that the contracting companies are owned by the Pak Military ?

The transporters are making a business out of this goods movement. So they should be paying taxes. That is how the government gets revenue for infrastructure maintenance all over the world. This line of reasoning that the NATO is responsible is funny. What are the road taxes etc for then? And if the corrupt tax collection system does not work in pakistan then it is nobody's fault but the local government's!

The transporters are paying taxes but the roads were not meant for such heavy frequent movement. Also ,the transporters overload their trucks to meet the demand of NATO which is causing serious damages to the roads network. These roads were built to run our economy and not a clueless war.

Transporters in Pakistan pay road taxes.. dont they.. Arent those taxes supposed to maintain the roads.. after all a truck will cause the same amount of wear and tear whether it carries NATO stuff or domestic Pak stuff.. Isnt it?

Yes Amber you are very smart but tell me, would a road deteriorate at the same rate if before the WoT it only saw 100 trucks per day but now is seeing 500 trucks per day ? Would the wear and tear be the same Amber ? Scratch your genius head and tell me Amber, is it all the same ?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom