What's new

Nationalism as opposed to Religion?

CometMibro

New Recruit

Reaction score
It is narrated by Abu Da'wud that the Messenger of Allah (saaw) said,

"He is not one us who calls for nationalism, or who fights for nationalism or who dies for nationalism."

"He is not one us who calls for nationalism, or who fights for nationalism or who dies for nationalism."

If you believe your country is your mother then it negates the statement. From what I understand mothers are highly regarded in the quran?

Brother first itroduce yourself in member introducion section & and kindly explain your question.

Just would like to hear people's views on what they think of nationalism as opposed to religion.

Personally; I don't believe in nationalism. Really, as a kid growing up outside pakistan, I didn't believe in much of anything, until I read a lot more about Islam (after which I became a practicing Muslim). I can't talk much on the behalf of Pakistanis so I'd like to hear their views. Many Pakistanis I know are very nationalistic (atleast when it comes to cricket and discussing amrika) but not too religious.

nationalism in its present form did not exist then....

Actually, it was a very, very big problem. Back then it was tribalism. Rather than your country, you belonged to your tribe and nobody else. If you had no tribe? Too bad, nobody will take care of you.

When Prophet Muhammad (saw) delivered his mission one of the first things he abolished was identity based on where you were born; and showed special love to those without tribes (such as people like Julaybib)

better to go through the arabic rather than the translation what it calls for in general is to be free from sects/tribes or others such groups because people then tend to act on things which have been agreed on by the majority....people back their tribe members even if they are the ones to commit any wrong doing.... just like many pakistani members (keyboard warriors) support their own.........just go over any middle eastern thread instead of addressing the issue it becomes a sunni shia fight.

If you believe your country is your mother then it negates the statement. From what I understand mothers are highly regarded in the quran?

I don't believe my country is my mother though. What do I owe my country? I only owe God for everything I have.

better to go through the arabic rather than the translation what it calls for in general is to be free from sects/tribes or others such groups because people then tend to act on things which have been agreed on by the majority....people back their tribe members even if they are the ones to commit any wrong doing.... just like many pakistani members (keyboard warriors) support their own.........just go over any middle eastern thread instead of addressing the issue it becomes a sunni shia fight.

As far as I know, nationalism (loyalty to your country) is pretty much the modern day equivalent of tribalism (loyalty to your tribe), given that people were proud of their tribe and looked down upon or alienated those from other tribes even if they were the same religion. We can deduce this from the biography of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Guftar-e-siyasat mein watan aur hii kuch haiii....irshad-e-naboowat mein watan aur hiii kuch haii - :pakistan:

Brother, I can't speak urdu... sorry :(

Brother, I can't speak urdu... sorry :(

'Nationalism as per the Prophet's (PBUH) Commandments is very different to what Nationalism is taken to be in Political Parlance' - Iqbal !

At any rate we don't face that dilemma because we're One Nation not because we speak one language or are ethnically the speak; we're One Nation because we're Muslims.

It depends on the individual. For majorty of Indians India come first then their religions. It depends!!

Islam it self is hidden Arab nationalism.

Could you please provide your proofs? Here's mine that it is not:

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

The Prophet Muhammad's last sermon

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom