What's new

Nader Shah - The second Alexander

There are Afshars in Anatolia too, they were pretty crowded and caused many problems to Ottomans with their armed banditry :)

There are still many Afshars in Iran, many have Afshar as a surname, such as actress Mahnaz Afshar.

_media_8610_imagenews_861003_39_861003_l600.jpg

Nader Shah was a wannabe Genghis Khan though he did slaughter 30000 Hindus in delhi

Nadir Shah was a Qalzalbash!? damn never knew tht... and i guess my Qazalbash frm was right... always thought of him as persian..as in farsi.

Firdausi the persian national poet recorded this battle... according to him Porus won..there are several people who wrote the same...

To make it easier to check, I refer to the English translation in my possession. It is Penguin classics series in Paperback edition. The book is titled:

"Shahnameh” Translated by Dick Davis with foreword by AZR Nafisi, the edition published in 2007.

I quote what is written word by word under the chapter "the Reign of Sekandar" section Sekander's battle against the Indian Troops:

Grasping their swords they advanced on each other in the space between the two hosts. When Sekandar saw his massive opponent, his fearsome sword in hand and mounted on a huge horse, he was astonished and almost despaired of his life. Nevertheless he went forward, and as he did so Foor was distracted by a cry that went up from the rear of his army and turned towards it. Like the wind then Sekandar bore down on him and struck the lion-like warrior with a mighty sword blow. The blade sliced through Foor's neck and trunk, and he fell from his horse to death.

Unquote.

I am sorry to say that you have been misinformed. Firdausi did not write that Porus won against Sekandar. In Shahnameh Firdausi says that Alexander killed Porus.

Besides, the battle took place in 326 BC and Firdausi wrote Shahnameh sometimes around 1010 AD about 1300 years later. Whereas Plutarch writing around 75 AD described it as a Macedonian victory.

To make it easier to check, I refer to the English translation in my possession. It is Penguin classics series in Paperback edition. The book is titled:

"Shahnameh” Translated by Dick Davis with foreword by AZR Nafisi, the edition published in 2007.

I quote what is written word by word under the chapter "the Reign of Sekandar" section Sekander's battle against the Indian Troops:

Grasping their swords they advanced on each other in the space between the two hosts. When Sekandar saw his massive opponent, his fearsome sword in hand and mounted on a huge horse, he was astonished and almost despaired of his life. Nevertheless he went forward, and as he did so Foor was distracted by a cry that went up from the rear of his army and turned towards it. Like the wind then Sekandar bore down on him and struck the lion-like warrior with a mighty sword blow. The blade sliced through Foor's neck and trunk, and he fell from his horse to death.

Unquote.

I am sorry to say that you have been misinformed. Firdausi did not write that Porus won against Sekandar. In Shahnameh Firdausi says that Alexander killed Porus.

Besides, the battle took place in 326 BC and Firdausi wrote Shahnameh sometimes around 1010 AD about 1300 years later. Whereas Plutarch writing around 75 AD described it as a Macedonian victory.

Greek sources about the Greek battle with Raja Porus can't be taken seriously. The fact that they came so far and yet left India despite defeating an Indian ruler without advancing forward seriously makes me believe there is more to the battle than what Greek sources tell us.

Nader Shah was a wannabe Genghis Khan though he did slaughter 30000 Hindus in delhi

Wrong. 20000- 30000 Hindus and Muslims.

@WebMaster You seem to be more intent on sending warnings to Non-Pakistani PDF members and overlook the threatening and malicious posts of your own compatriots.

Last edited by a moderator:
The western historians always over estimate Alexander probably because he was a European. Asia has produced many such generals, yet they are largely unknown to the rest of the world. Raja Porus was a small Indian Raja from Punjab yet he gave a bloody nose to the Greek army. I wouldn't be surprised if he did defeat Alexander or get into a stalemate situation which would explain why the "undefeatable" Greeks did not go beyond Punjab.

Nadir Shah was a Qalzalbash!? damn never knew tht... and i guess my Qazalbash frm was right... always thought of him as persian..as in farsi.

Firdausi the persian national poet recorded this battle... according to him Porus won
..there are several people who wrote the same...
@niaz

In Shahnameh, Ferdosi says:

چو اسکندر آمد به نزدیک فور
بدید آن سپه این سپه را ز دور
خروش آمد و گرد رزم او دو روی
برفتند گردان پرخاشجوی
به اسپ و به نفط آتش اندر زدند
همه لشکر فور برهم زدند
از آتش برافروخت نفط سیاه
بجنبید ازان کاهنین بد سپاه
چو پیلان بدیدند ز آتش گریز
برفتند با لشکر از جای تیز
ز لشکر برآمد سراسر خروش
به زخم آوریدند پیلان به جوش
چو خرطومهاشان بر آتش گرفت
بماندند زان پیلبانان شگفت
همه لشکر هند گشتند باز
همان ژنده پیلان گردن فراز
سکندر پس لشکر بدگمان
همی تاخت بر سان باددمان
چنین تا هوا نیلگون شد به رنگ
سپه را نماند آن زمان جای جنگ
جهانجوی با رومیان همگروه
فرود آمد اندر میان دو کوه
طلایه فرستاد هر سو به راه
همی داشت لشکر ز دشمن نگاه
چو پیدا شد آن شوشهٔ تاج شید
جهان شد بسان بلور سپید
برآمد خروش از بر گاودم
دم نای سرغین و رویینه خم
سپه با سپه جنگ برساختند
سنانها به ابر اندر افراختند
سکندر بیامد میان دو صف
یکی تیغ رومی گرفته به کف
سواری فرستاد نزدیک فور
که او را بخواند بگوید ز دور
که آمد سکندر به پیش سپاه
به دیدار جوید همی با تو راه
سخن گوید و گفت تو بشنود
اگر دادگویی بدان بگرود
چو بشنید زو فور هندی برفت
به پیش سپاه آمد از قلب تفت
سکندر بدو گفت کای نامدار
دو لشکر شکسته شد از کارزار
همی دام و دد مغز مردم خورد
همی نعل اسپ استخوان بسپرد
دو مردیم هر دو دلیر و جوان
سخن گوی و با مغز دو پهلوان
دلیران لشکر همه کشته*اند
وگر زنده از رزم برگشته*اند
چرا بهر لشکر همه کشتن است
وگر زنده از رزم برگشتن است
میان را ببندیم و جنگ آوریم
چو باید که کشور به چنگ آوریم
ز ما هرک او گشت پیروز بخت
بدو ماند این لشکر و تاج و تخت
ز رومی سخنها چو بشنید فور
خریدار شد رزم او را به سور
تن خویش را دید با زور شیر
یکی باره چون اژدهای دلیر
سکندر سواری بسان قلم
سلیحی سبک بادپایی دژم
بدوگفت کاینست آیین و راه
بگردیم یک با دگر بی*سپاه
دو خنجر گرفتند هر دو به کف
بگشتند چندان میان دو صف
سکندر چو دید آن تن پیل مست
یکی کوه زیر اژدهایی به دست
به آورد ازو ماند اندر شگفت
غمی شد دل از جان خود برگرفت
همی گشت با او به آوردگاه
خروشی برآمد ز پشت سپاه
دل فور پر درد شد زان خروش
بران سو کشیدش دل و چشم و گوش
سکندر چو باد اندر آمد ز گرد
بزد تیغ تیزی بران شیر مرد
ببرید پی بر بر و گردنش
ز بالا به خاک اندر آمد تنش
سر لشکر روم شد به آسمان
برفتند گردان لشکر دمان
یکی کوس بودش ز چرم هژبر
که آواز او برگذشتی ز ابر
برآمد دم بوق و آواس کوس
زمین آهنین شد هوا آبنوس
بران هم نشان هندوان رزمجوی
به تنگی به روی اندر آورده روی
خروش آمد از روم کای دوستان
سر مایهٔ مرز هندوستان
سر فور هندی به خاک اندرست
تن پیلوارش به چاک اندرست

Ferdosi in this poet says that Alexander kills his indian rival.

http://ganjoor.net/ferdousi/shahname/eskandar/sh18/

The western historians always over estimate Alexander probably because he was a European. Asia has produced many such generals, yet they are largely unknown to the rest of the world. Raja Porus was a small Indian Raja from Punjab yet he gave a bloody nose to the Greek army. I wouldn't be surprised if he did defeat Alexander or get into a stalemate situation which would explain why the "undefeatable" Greeks did not go beyond Punjab.

He was Punjabi king. Indian King is someone who ruled all of South Asia in ancient times.

He was Punjabi king. Indian King is someone who ruled all of South Asia in ancient times.

Punjab was a part of the region of India back then and even today, part of Punjab is in India.

He was an Indian Punjabi Hindu king. When I say Indian here I include Pakistan as well.

Punjab was a part of the region of India back then and even today, part of Punjab is in India.

He was an Indian Punjabi Hindu king. When I say Indian here I include Pakistan as well.

For us he was Punjabi king for Europeans he was Indian king. Just like Alexander was Europeans king for us. This hypocrisy of Indians is mind boggling, especially when they dont include Pashtuns muslims rulers as Indian Kings but claim their areas which they have been living for thousands of years as "India". After all they used to be Buddhists and genetic test shows they are closer to South Asian populations by having 20+% ASI in them.

There was nothing called Punjab back then, you must not be knowing the names of ancient territories in Punjab. :lol:

For us he was Punjabi king for Europeans he was Indian king. Just like Alexander was Europeans king for us. This hypocrisy of Indians is mind boggling, especially when they dont include Pashtuns muslims rulers as Indian Kings but claim their areas which they have been living for thousands of years as "India". After all they used to be Buddhists and genetic test shows they are closer to South Asian populations by having 20+% ASI in them.

Culture of Pashtuns is non-Indic while that of ancient Gandhara was Indic.

Pashtun rulers like Sher Shah Suri were Indians certainly. Anyone who says anything differently is an idiot.

But of course people like Ahmad Shah Abdali weren't Indian- Born in Herat, died in Kandahar. You know.

Just like Shahrukh , aamir and Salman are Indian Pashtuns or Shahid Afridi is Pakistani but Hamid Karzai is not, he is Afghan. :angel:

Culture of Pashtuns is non-Indic while that of ancient Gandhara was Indic.

Yes, but Pashtuns who lived in India for a long time or died here or who were even born here were certainly our local sub-continental people.

, but Pashtuns who lived in India for a long time or died here or who were even born here were certainly our local sub-continental people.

Yes, I meant same, the Pashtuns of Pakistan and Afghanistan are not related to us. Indians of Pashtun ancestry are surely part of Indian culture.

You're absolutely correct, for Pakistanis, he was Punjabi king, for Europeans(the rest of the world), he was an Indian king.....just like, for Pakistanis, Pakistan existed from the time of Adam and Eve, for the rest of the world, Pakistan was created in 1947 from India......:lol:
For Pakistanis, they are descendants of 'Aryans', for the rest of the world, acc. to latest theories, 'Aryan race' is a myth.....the list can go on.....

Now you understand, how you're brainwashed in your Madrassa? Pakistanis who go out of Pakistan to study, learns the truth and immediately shed their delusion......like the person below.....

Back
Top Bottom