What's new

Myths about Urdu

As long as BollyWood is, Urdu will remain in India. South Indian movies are good too with sub title in roman.

if kabi kushi kabi ghum was made in hindi its name would have been kabi Hersh kabi Shok

Last edited:
Hindi has evolved from the ancient Khadi Boli dialect of the western UP and Delhi region.

Urdu uses a number of words from Arabic and Persian but the grammatical structure is the same as Khadi Boli and interestingly, almost 100% of the verbs are from Sanskrit.

Modern Hindi also has some of these loan words, but much fewer.

To be historically correct, I would support using the name Khadi Boli instead of Hindi.

Hindi, Hindu and Hindustan / India are words that originated with the Greeks in 300 BC. We would be more correct to say Khadi Boli, Sanatan Dharma and Bhaarat.

Last edited:
Gin,khusi is a hindi word(and also used in bengali),and we bengalis who arent really acquainted with hindi as the regulerly used lingo,often use words like gam and other urdu origin words in our broken hindi!!.......but whats the point?......both are indian languages!

Gin,khusi is a hindi word(and also used in bengali),and we bengalis who arent really acquainted with hindi as the regulerly used lingo,often use words like gam and other urdu origin words in our broken hindi!!.......but whats the point?......both are indian languages!

Ok its Our (your and mine) Language :cheers: unlike UK and French we have common language, a bridge between us

As long as BollyWood is, Urdu will remain in India. South Indian movies are good too with sub title in roman.

if kabi kushi kabi ghum was made in hindi its name would have been kabi Hersh kabi Shok

@Gin ka Pakistan,

Persian Words such as kushi and ghum are regular naturalized hindi(hindustani) words...nobody thinks its Udru and not does matter as they are very much part of hindi vocabulary.

Then synonyms words such as Hers(hersh) and Shok that are sanskrit words that too also find place in hindustani/hindi language.

PS: BTW full marks for putting exact hindi/sanskrit words of kushi and ghum expressing same meaning.

@Gin ka Pakistan,

Persian Words such as kushi and ghum are regular naturalized hindi(hindustani) words...nobody thinks its Udru and not does matter as they are very much part of hindi vocabulary.

Then synonyms words such as Hers(hersh) and Shok that are sanskrit words that too also find place in hindustani/hindi language.

PS: BTW full marks for putting exact hindi/sanskrit words of kushi and ghum expressing same meaning.

My point was Indian movie writers do avoid using Sanskrit in dialogs or songs like other Indian media do

In my previous quote i mentioned movies of south India and I know it is as big as Bollywood , I do watch few on cable if the channel is coming free :pop:

Sanskrit's greatest influence, presumably, is that which it exerted on languages of India that grew from its vocabulary and grammatical base; for instance Hindi, which is a "Sanskritized register" of the Khariboli dialect. However, all modern Indo-Aryan languages as well as Munda and Dravidian languages, have borrowed many words either directly from Sanskrit (tatsama words), or indirectly via middle Indo-Aryan languages (tadbhava words). Words originating in Sanskrit are estimated to constitute roughly fifty percent of the vocabulary of modern Indo-Aryan languages, and the literary forms of (Dravidian) Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada.

So you can see Sanskrit has influence on almost all regional languages...so movies made in regional languages would in some way or the other use Sanskrit driven words.

Hope this clarifies.

My point was Indian movie writers do avoid using Sanskrit in dialogs or songs like other Indian media do

Its more to do with the fact Indian movie(bollywood) writers and lyricists were mostly used to be native urdu speaking muslims of north india.

But there has been a change in the treand since 20years or so.We see incresing use of pure hindi words in movies and even muslims themselves use less amount persian words in own urdu/hinustani language now a days...and it may be only bollywood songs that use some hardcore Urdu words.

Over the years indian govt promoted a hindi language thats heavily sanskritised where as on the other hand pakistan promoted more hardcore persian/arab influenced urdu used in its official communiction.

here is the breakdown k

hindi---sanskrit origin/ for hindus since theyre holy book is in sanskrit

urdu---persian origin therefore a muslim language since it shares most of its alphabets and gramar style with arabic

Punjabi --- written in both sanskrit and persian style

whats the debate here ??

Its more to do with the fact Indian movie(bollywood) writers and lyricists were mostly used to be native urdu speaking muslims of north india.

But there has been a change in the treand since 20years or so.We see incresing use of pure hindi words in movies and even muslims themselves use less amount persian words in own urdu/hinustani language now a days...and it may be only bollywood songs that use some hardcore Urdu words.

Over the years indian govt promoted a hindi language thats heavily sanskritised where as on the other hand pakistan promoted more hardcore persian/arab influenced urdu used in its official communiction.

yh if you said that like ten years ago it would have been true...now bollywood is just selling out to western media...but thats a whole different topic...still a good chunk of indian songs have urdu poetry..because urdu is a poetic language

Last edited:
Urdu undoubtedly is the softest language possibly on the earth. Besides being sweet to the ears an outstanding characteristic of this language is the ability to convey so much in so little.

The sentiment conveyed in old hindi songs could not be done in any other language with the same effect. For those who may be concerned , I feel the movie Mughal - e - Azam has the best Urdu songs & dialogues - my views entirely.

The revenue & police records in N India even today consists of Urdu words spelt in Hindi.Its a fine adaptation of the relevant & practical. Quite unlike hindi wherein sometimes one has to seek meanings of words heard in the AIR news.

hey you all guys why you all say Urdu is mine and mine :cheesy:

it is clear that Urdu is our:pakistan:national language and why you say Urdu is only your:smokin:
i think any body have love to this language than seek it and speaking:azn:

بات کا بتنگڑ مت بناو اور کام کی بات کرو
that you love
Urdu :smitten:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom