What's new

Myanmar Navy starts submarine training in Pakistan

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A small contingent of Myanmar Navy (MN) personnel has begun submarine warfare training in Pakistan, a move that suggests Myanmar is finally taking concrete steps towards developing a subsurface capability.

Around 20 officers and ratings arrived in Karachi in late April/early May to begin basic familiarisation training with the Pakistan Navy (PN), according to diplomatic sources. It is likely the contingent is based at the PN's Submarine Training Centre at PNS Bahadur, an onshore facility in Karachi that offers simulator training in diving, propulsion, and sonar tape listening and analysis.

The PN's submarine service has relied on French boats almost since its inception in the 1960s, and today operates two obsolescent Hashmat-class Agosta-70 boats and three modern Khalid-class Agosta-90Bs.
Myanmar Navy starts submarine training in Pakistan - IHS Jane's 360

This makes sense if Myanmar is getting Agosta class boats. Other than that PN itself doesn't have much experience on any other boats. (I'm talking about recent times, not the old Daphne types)

simulator training in diving, propulsion, and sonar tape listening and analysis.

Who knows Myanmar might buy our older A70 submarines.

Wait a sec! Did Mynmar had a navy? Someone inform me please?

Wonder what the end goal is that Myanmar is looking to achieve, besides having a decent submarine supported navy.

@Neptune bro
ahahahah Myanmar want to arm race with Bangladesh, after hearing BD is going to have submarine by 2016, now they are going after it :D

Wait a sec! Did Mynmar had a navy? Someone inform me please?
Myanmar ruled by Army more than 40 years, they had more arms than BD though their economy is half of BD, most of their expenditure was on armed forces. Things are going to change, BD is now going to improve armed forces strength within 10 years. Navy will be strong around 3.5 times than current strength by 2020. This screwed Burmese :lol:
@Loki , @eastwatch, @Rokto14 @idune @Banglar Bagh and others :ashamed:
@Armstrong bhai key shat asa kareyga kiya ? :cray:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find this to be very interesting news.

While to the best of my information they have not actually fought a war, Bangladesh and Myanmar have had incidents of covert or almost open hostility in the past.

Therefore, why is Pakistan training Myanmar Navy and augmenting that country's naval capability which would presumably be directed at Bangladesh? Is this a strategic policy shift by Pakistan? What signal, if any, is this sending on Pakistan-Bangladesh relations?

I would welcome cool-headed and analytical responses. If possible please avoid partisan comments or snide remarks and let's not descend into an India-Pakistan free for all.

This makes sense if Myanmar is getting Agosta class boats. Other than that PN itself doesn't have much experience on any other boats. (I'm talking about recent times, not the old Daphne types)

The training is not just about the operations of the boat but also operating below surface. PN has 5 decades of submarine operations and is in good position to train new sailors about submarine operations.

this is called double stand :laugh:

i wish they really believed in muslim brotherhood :lol:

Everything doesn't work according to Ummah logic.

Myanmar has close friends in China so it bares to reason that they will roll around with Pakistan. More importantly if there is commonality in the subs they will operate then Pak is perhaps their best bet unless they want to train with the Europeans.

Lets see which subs Burma goes for since a lot of markets are now open for them. It might be interesting to see another batch of Agosta operators.

Everything doesn't work according to Ummah logic.

Myanmar has close friends in China so it bares to reason that they will roll around with Pakistan. More importantly if there is commonality in the subs they will operate then Pak is perhaps their best bet unless they want to train with the Europeans.

Lets see which subs Burma goes for since a lot of markets are now open for them. It might be interesting to see another batch of Agosta operators.
probably Pakistan will decommission PNS/M Hashmat (S135) and PNS/M Hurmat (S136), Myanmar may get those

this is called double stand :laugh:

i wish they really believed in muslim brotherhood :lol:

Double stand what? Myanmar is probably interested in our old subs + we are friendly cpuntry to China's allie.

Pakistan's interest go first.

probably Pakistan will decommission PNS/M Hashmat (S135) and PNS/M Hurmat (S136), Myanmar may get those

They will do some target practice on BD navy :chilli:

china will probably supply subs to myanmar - lets keep the politics out - this kind of stuff happens everywhere.

Either that or they'll buy something from the Chinese..one of their newer subs maybe..they're getting close to the Russians too and the Russians are keeping up the Kilo production line going with Vietnam and could help out Burma too..that will send some hackles up. A new built Kilo, specially with greater automation and a better sonar complex is a demon beneath the waves..we've been pitting them (zero-lifed) against our own Type209 1500 variant (that's one of the best conventional ones in the game) and they still keep pace and match em'.

Lets see. Burma as I said has opened some gates for itself and natural gas and shale can go a long way in getting people to give you stuff.

Back
Top Bottom