What's new

Myanmar largest Indian aid recipient after Afghanistan

India is making a mistake. It should support the democratic movement in Burma; not support the military regime which is brutal.

@Bilal... you want to talk about world bank..then let see how will you respond to that

India’s Anti-Poverty Programs Are Big but Troubled

NEW DELHI — India spends more on programs for the poor than most developing countries, but it has failed to eradicate poverty because of widespread corruption and faulty government administration, the World Bank said Wednesday.

“India is not getting the ‘bang for the rupee’ that its significant expenditure would seem to warrant, and the needs of important population groups remain only party addressed,” John D. Blomquist, lead economist at the World Bank, wrote in a nearly 400-page study released Wednesday.

India spent 2 percent of its gross domestic product, or $28.6 billion last year, on social programs to alleviate and prevent poverty, the World Bank said, a higher percentage than any other country in Asia and about three times China’s spending.

The programs, central to the Congress party’s platform, include food distribution and health insurance initiatives that are supposed to reach hundreds of millions of households. The report was written at the “request of the government of India” and with full participation from various government bodies, the report said.

The World Bank on Wednesday recommended a radical overhaul of India’s social programs. “Marginal changes alone may not deliver the kind of safety net which a changing India needs for its poor and for its economy,” Mr. Blomquist wrote.

One of the primary problems, the World Bank said, was “leakages” — an often-used term in development circles that refers to government administrators and middle men stealing money, food and benefits. The bank said that 59 percent of the grain allotted for public distribution to the poor does not reach those households.

Instead of distributing food, the government might be better off giving out food stamps or cash transfers that can be easily traced through technology, the World Bank said.

India, the world’s the second-fastest growing major economy, after China, has had an economic boom in recent years that is transforming urban areas and creating a new class of extremely wealthy people. But social problems, including poverty, disease and illiteracy, remain widespread.

About 455 million Indian citizens live on less than $1.25 a day, the World Bank’s poverty line. A United Nations study released last year found more people living below the poverty threshold in eight states in India than in all of sub- Saharan Africa.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/world/asia/19india.html

455 mn out of 1210 mn comes out to be 37.6 %.. now chew your words.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

another link...watch it

India | Data

what kinda sick people lives in pakistan, fully brain washed, and hatred people. you are degrading value of site. if you can't stick to the topic. just sh.t up.

who are you who hate pakistanis to complain/ we are on a pakistani site if you want to praise india and make anti pak comments go to an indian site

These are from the 2010 & 2011 reports, coming out from the World Bank, the UN, CIA World Factbook etc.

75.6% of all Indians earn less than 2 dollar (PPP) a day as per World Bank statistics. 645 million (56% of all) Indians live below the MPI index, as per UN statistics. Other international sources even claim that 836 million Indians (77% of all Indians) earn 20 rupees or less per day. All of these are international sources, they have slightly differing data, but it does not hide the grave realities of India.

here some data about richy rich pakistani's:

Country overview

The Islamic Republic of Pakistan has a population of over 180 million people. The official languages are Urdu and English. Regional languages—Punjabi, Pashto, Sindhi and Balochi—are widely used.

The Islamic Republic of Pakistan is made up of four provinces—Sindh, Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier) and Balochistan. In addition, the Federal Government administers seven areas ('agencies') on the border with Afghanistan. These are known as the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). Pakistan also administers approximately one-third of the area of the former princely state of Jammu and Kashmir—Gilgit-Baltistan—also known as the 'Northern Areas' of Pakistan which has a quasi provincial status but does not currently have representation in parliament. Islamabad is a special 'Federal Capital Territory'.

Pakistan lies in the Indus Valley and is bordered by India to the east, China to the north, Afghanistan to the north and northwest, Iran to the west and the Arabian Sea to the south. Both the boundaries with China and with northern Afghanistan are in very high mountainous terrain. The Karakoram Highway, constructed under Chinese supervision, provides the major link between Pakistan and China along the Indus Valley.
Economy

Pakistan's economy was significantly affected by the global economic downturn in 2008, which has diminished its capacity to deliver services across the country. In November 2008 the GoP was forced to accept a US$7.6 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), which was extended in August 2009 to US$11.3 billion. Under the conditions of the loan, the IMF has identified three priority areas that the GoP needs to address to boost economic growth: increase electricity tariffs (prices); reform of the tax base to increase Government tax revenues; and increase support for social safety nets.

Much of the economic recovery the country had begun to make in 2009–10 (including increased GDP growth and reduced inflation) was reversed following the July 2010 floods. The GDP growth forecast for 2010–11 fell from 4.1 per cent pre-floods to 2.6 per cent in December 2010. Inflation is high. The State Bank of Pakistan has forecast an inflation rate of 14.5 per cent for 2010–11, with food price inflation recorded at over 20 per cent in October 2010. Pakistan's population is expected to grow by another 40 million by 2020, meaning GDP growth will need to average eight per cent per year to generate employment and provide adequate social services and education opportunities for the growing population.
Development challenges

Pakistan's development challenges are considerable and were exacerbated by the unprecedented floods in July 2010. In the 2010 United Nations Human Development Index, Pakistan ranks 125 out of 169 countries. It is estimated that one third of the population lives on less than US$1 a day and almost one-quarter of the population is malnourished (including up to 38 per cent of children). Progress against the MDGs has been slow, particularly against MDG 2 on primary education, MDG 4 on child mortality, and MDG 5 on maternal health.

The maternal mortality rate is high, with 320 out of 100,000 mothers dying during childbirth and only 39 per cent of births attended by skilled medical personnel. Child health and nutrition are a particular concern, with two out of every five children malnourished and one in ten children dying before reaching the age of five. Poor access for disadvantaged groups and poor quality of care are issues undermining the delivery of effective health services. It is anticipated that these already low development indicators will worsen as a result of the floods.

National education indicators in Pakistan are amongst the lowest in South Asia. Gender disparities in education access and outcomes, limited access to schooling in remote and rural areas, lack of adequate infrastructure, and poor quality of teaching and teaching materials are systemic challenges facing the education sector. More than 42 million children between the ages of five and 19 do not attend school. Half of the adult population is illiterate (including two-thirds of women) and only 62 per cent of primary school-aged children are enrolled in school. The 2010 floods will impact on education indicators with the floods damaging over 8,000 schools across the country.

The 2010 floods have had a devastating effect on development progress across Pakistan. Approximately 20 million people were affected. More than one million homes, and 24,000 kilometres of road were damaged, while over two million hectares of planted crops were washed away and millions of livestock and poultry were lost.

The floods seriously impacted upon Pakistan's already fragile economy and further constrained development, including the country's progress against the MDGs. According to the United Nations Development Programme's preliminary estimates, the floods pushed a further four per cent of Pakistan's population below the calorie-based poverty line, mostly in rural areas. As a result, the MDG of halving the proportion of people living under one dollar per day and the proportion of people suffering from hunger is now even less likely to be achieved.

who are you who hate pakistanis to complain/ we are on a pakistani site if you want to praise india and make anti pak comments go to an indian site

If i did it there will be no difference between U and ME. Even it is pakistani site but remember you are talking about India. if you can't just restrict all Indian's. its our internal matter subject is about Myanmar and Indian AID. if you can't understand strategic relation ship just stop talking nonsense. even US is in debt why it giving you military aid.

If i did it there will be no difference between U and ME. Even it is pakistani site but remember you are talking about India. if you can't just restrict all Indian's. its our internal matter subject is about Myanmar and Indian AID. if you can't understand strategic relation ship just stop talking nonsense. even US is in debt why it giving you military aid.

on principle i think its better to teach someone to fish than give them a fish. I dislike that america gives and pakistani corrupt leaders take we should learn to stand on our own feet

@danger007 .. i think we have enough of sadism and sarcasm, we should also fairly take the blame... so i just say.. lets maintain our dignity.

@danger007 .. i think we have enough of sadism and sarcasm, we should also fairly take the blame... so i just say.. lets maintain our dignity.

Your type of indians wouldnt know dignity if it hit you in your face and now that you have nothing more to say you are trying to go away with your usual pithy comments

Your type of indians wouldnt know dignity if it hit you in your face and now that you have nothing more to say you are trying to go away with your usual pithy comments

Look the data I have provided make Bilal to run..

I have a feeling of guilt when danger007 posted regarding pakistan .. so I said so. i Have the right to fight for my nation.

Look the data I have provided make Bilal to run..

I have a feeling of guilt when danger007 posted regarding pakistan .. so I said so. i Have the right to fight for my nation.

you are right but both you and i know that both india and paksitan have a lot of problems and we need better stronger honest leaders if our respective communities are to prosper

look who's talking. chill man. It just give and take policy. if the AID subjected to floods so and so it will called humanity , if it is subjected state to state foreign AID its called strategy. When we are expecting some thing from others, then we need to pay in return.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

you are right but both you and i know that both india and paksitan have a lot of problems and we need better stronger honest leaders if our respective communities are to prosper

that's why i didn't posted the data early. look my previous posts. i asked stop pointing on India, but you people didn't stopped.

look who's talking. chill man. It just give and take policy. if the AID subjected to floods so and so it will called humanity , if it is subjected state to state foreign AID its called strategy. When we are expecting some thing from others, then we need to pay in return.

listen mate i get upset at our political leaders in india and pakistanis. People like you and me get all worked about it but people who should be taking care of our poor etc dont give a shix

listen mate i get upset at our political leaders in india and pakistanis. People like you and me get all worked about it but people who should be taking care of our poor etc dont give a shix

aryan_B.. I suggest you to read the article first before making your assertions.

anyways guys have a good one mrs b wants me to take her for dinner so I better get off nice talking to you and i think we all have best intentions for our region and pray for wellbeing of both our peoples

@Bilal... you want to talk about world bank..then let see how will you respond to that

India’s Anti-Poverty Programs Are Big but Troubled

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/world/asia/19india.html

455 mn out of 1210 mn comes out to be 37.6 %.. now chew your words.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

another link...watch it

India | Data

75.6% of all Indians earn less than 2 dollar (PPP) a day as per World Bank statistics. 37.2% of all Indians earn less than 1.25 dollar (PPP) a day as per the World Bank statistics. I never said anything else. If you can't even understand that, then there's no point in arguing.

Btw, this figure on India's poverty levels:

India%2BPoverty%2BWB%2B2011.png

Comes from the World Bank's 2011 report, page 10 of the report.

Here is the link to the World Bank report:

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/extern...d/PDF/574280PUB0Pers1351B0Extop0ID0186890.pdf

Back
Top Bottom