What's new

My write up/experiences of the world's biggest military show the Royal International Air Tatto 2015

waz

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Dear forum members after quite an exhaustive period, which included managing photos, uploading video clips and of course this write up, I’ve finally written up my report of this year’s magnificent Royal Air Tattoo, which is the largest military show on the planet, and certainly the greatest in terms of military aviation.

I got up at 05.30 in the morning, please take note of my use of military timing here, it’s all part of the build up to the tattoo. As part of my usual rituals for the day I began to listen to the soundtrack of TopGun and continue to watch the opening five minutes over and over, which are arguably the greatest in any action film. I checked the all important weather report and it outlined showers at the start then the day brightening up, with the temperature being warm. My friend was late, due his young son not being able to sleep, and being the dutiful father he is, stayed up with him till he did. I took this as an opportunity to check through the items I would be taking with me. So going through the list tickets check, gum check, credit cards check, mobile phone check, folding chair check and form of ID check.

By this time my friend had arrived and we left promptly. Having taken the journey for so many years, the excitement never diminishes in any way and the journey is something I greatly look forward to. On the way to Gloucestershire you traverse some of the most magnificent English countryside and scenery. Time goes quickly during the journey, whilst you catch up or indulge in the game of guessing which car is heading to the air tattoo. The journey takes around an hour and 15 minutes, without traffic. Sure enough after an hour 15 minutes we had arrived and joined the short queue to enter RAF Fairford. For those who are not familiar with the air tattoo, the show is held at an active military base. We spent around twenty minutes in the queue and entered the perimeter of the base and were met by a RAF police who directed us where to park. There were many volunteers as well lining the route offering assistance, we were delighted to park right near the ground entrance. We got out and tried to remember where the car was parked in order to find it at the end of the day amidst the thousands of cars parked there!

The air tattoo takes security very seriously, as you might expect considering the climate we live in. As you enter the grounds RAF police monitors your vehicle, and when you reach the gates you pass through the personal security checks, which are manned by private contactors and RAF police. There are metal detectors and other sorts of surveillance going on in order to spot any potential person with bad intentions. Upon entering the ground, armed police were clearly visible, throughout the day I counted near 30, this is on top of plain clothes police mixed in with the crowd and of course the large surveillance operation that goes in the background.

The best way to write up this review in my opinion would be to divide it up according to countries attending.

The British. @blue marlin @Steve781 @mike2000 is back

As usual, being the hosts, no table was left unturned to make sure our guests from other countries are warmly met and their stay comfortable. In terms of the British contribution, it’s always huge, which is expected being the hosts. There was an array of aircraft on show from Typhoon interceptors, to the Red Arrows display team to the Tornados. There was also a small area devoted to the British Army Apaches, which differ a little from their American counterparts, and there was a team on hand to talk about current operations and showcase the helicopter. Sticking to the British contingent the first sight I came across were our Red Arrows i.e. the Hawk trainers or lined up next to each other, which you will see in the picture below. Needless to say everyone enjoys the arrows perform.

krnqxQK.jpg

The next aircraft I walked up to seemed to be a C130 Hercules belonging to our own RAF.

lG1065o.jpg

The RAF had their public relations unit out in force.

Z1wTKGv.jpg

Here is an RAF Typhoon.

mvtG6YD.jpg

My videos just show a pass or take off, as I had limited memory on my Iphone 6 and to be honest what’s the point in taping the whole thing when others will do it, and it also spoils my personal viewing pleasure. I have put the corresponding videos from YouTube showing the full display.

RAF typhoon my videos

The old and the new, Typhoon and Spitfire my video

RAF Chinook display team my video.

RAF rescue helicopters

v0Y2Zyi.jpg

RAF AWACS

0gT9NZT.jpg

I’ll finish off with the beautiful Vulcan long-range bomber. This was her final flight; she has been in civilian hands now for many years after retiring from active service in 1996. She was one of Britain’s greatest assets when it came to our nuclear deterrent and she would have dropped her payload miles from home. She did exactly that when she bombed Argentinian runaways thousands of miles from home.

Read about it here.

RAF - Operation Black Buck

She flew past solo then with the red arrows as part of honor guard. There wasn’t a single person in their seats when this happened. With great sadness we say goodbye. Thank you for your years of service girl.

Vulcan my videos

Last edited:
If you had posted this thread in Airforce section I would have left positive ranking for you (members club exempted from this feature)

Thank you Waz for the wonderful pics and videos.. Watching it now and hope to see more pics from you soon

The Dutch. (Netherlands) @Penguin

I’ve always found the Dutch personal very friendly and they enjoy themselves immensely at the Tattoo. The first showpiece I came across from the Dutch is one of their Apaches, this one belonging to the Royal Netherlands Airforce.

3GE1L9K.jpg

n1ZoVGN.jpg

You looking at me?

v4XZzwU.jpg

Dutch Apache display my video

Dutch Chinook

iyK4sao.jpg

The queue was reasonable outside the Dutch Chinook and it was lovely for the Dutch to have opened up the helicopter for people to have a look inside. This takes a great deal of supervision and patience on behalf of the team. Another thing I noticed that most of the people in the queue were Dutch themselves, and this seemed to be a trend as people flocked to their country’s Air forces’ to say hello. Upon entering the Chinook we were greeted warmly by the Dutch crew and support staff, with a big “good morning”, to which we replied to with big smiles on our faces. One thing I was taken back by was the sheer height of the Dutch, I’m not small myself, just shy of 6ft 1 and 210lbs, but these guys were giants, with several being around 6ft 4 mark. I now know why the Dutch have the tallest average height in the world. I laughed and said them they needed bigger ceilings in the Chinook for them, which made them laugh as well. My friend remarked how well the RNLAF was equipped to which one of the pilots said “well we have so many tulips to shoot up you know”, to which the crowd inside the aircraft erupted into laughter.

Inside the Chinook

LYrIK4k.jpg

Cockpit

Ye8635s.jpg

Once again we thanked the Dutch, and I’d like to say they were a very pleasant bunch of guys and remained cheerful throughout the day and many people commented on this. Thank you to the RNLAF!

Last edited:
Moving on I took some passing snaps of some transport aircraft;

tB4e2Qo.jpg

ebehMyB.jpg

Surveillance?

7cqv9QY.jpg

Here are some shots of Textron Scorpion, a proposed American light attack, intelligence and reconnaissance plane, developed by Textron, one of the many private companies at the tattoo.

fEx4xRd.jpg

eZHfay8.jpg

Something else from Textron for the low-end budget market I think.

qngiJus.jpg

Last edited:
most of the image have broken link

Refresh your browser mate, other posters are saying they can seem.

The Japanese. @Nihonjin1051 @yoshi.oda

Now of the one of the biggest stars of the show, making its international debut the Japanese Kawasaki P1, an entirely Japanese made maritime surveillance Aircraft that is set to replace Japan’s P-3C Orions.

Firstly this Aircraft is incredible, it is both cosmetically pleasing, and I’m telling you the P1 literally shown on in the sun. The Japanese had made a tremendous effort in making it presentable and this was no small feat, considering it is a large aircraft, slightly smaller than its Boeing Poseidon counterpart. For tech information there is plenty on the P1 e.g. it operates with a Toshiba AESA radar and so forth.

Walking up to the aircraft, her Japanese crews from the Japan Maritime Self-defense force (11 crew) were all on hand to greet visitors. I walked up and said hello and the several of the crew smiled and bowed, as did I. I began to talk to the crew and told them how honored we were for the plane to have come to RIAT 2015 and this was one of the highlights we were looking forward to. They told us how happy they were here and how people treated them as longtime friends, as opposed to new guests who have come to the tattoo. They were handing out information sheets on the P1, which I thought was a nice touch.

As mentioned before the crew was inundated with fellow Japanese and visitors from other countries. The Japanese, who had mostly come from London, with a few from Japan itself had bought along their families, and the children were being held by the crew members which showed that soft human side, which is rare to see when people are on duty. The Japanese crowd was very enthusiastic and very proud of their new plane and crew. They then did something very praiseworthy; they spoke to the Japanese crowd in Japanese. I asked one of the Japanese students who was from London what they said, he told me that they had asked the Japanese folks to make way for their international visitors, as they were people they may only see once in their lifetimes whilst he Japanese were their brothers and sisters and will always be with them. The international guests loved this and thanked them. The Japanese also made a point of visiting every other Air force and were great ambassadors.

Here is a shot of them taking photos with the Jordanians.

059fbnI.jpg

I talked to most of the crew apart from the captain who was busy with official interviews from the world’s media.

Here are the photos.

GWefY0E.jpg

8d9z4Fh.jpg

eQLshgT.jpg

Japanese guys explaining things with a smile.

DL9vN1Y.jpg

Japanese pilots with smiles on their faces as always!

Nr3eI1b.jpg

The media talks to the JMSDF!

tdvTwTl.jpg

Last edited:
nvIDyDX.jpg

A shot taken when the skies had brightened up later on in the day, the P1 looks incredible.

HspUfpI.jpg

Japanese crew speaking my videos

Japanese P1 takeoff my video

I couldn’t get over how silent the aircraft is, the engines make just the slightest noise, I know there is radar but seriously you won’t hear this thing coming over the ocean/sea. My respect to the Japanese engine design team.

I thought I’d end the Japanese segment of my post with a group shot of the crew. I told them about PDF and how we have Japanese posters and with one special guy who is one of our think tank team. @Nihonjin1051 . They were even more happier to pose after finding this out, and they told me to convey their warmest greetings to our posters and in particular the Japanese members.

Bonzai!!

weuBBBM.jpg

Last edited:
lol I still cant....

I can see 1 image (C-130 in post 1) and all the VIdeo, not the rest of the image

@waz bhai - I can't see any of the images ! :(

lol I still cant....

I can see 1 image (C-130 in post 1) and all the VIdeo, not the rest of the image

Maybe there is something wrong with the image hosting service? Can you guys recommend a good free one? What I've also noticed is that UK users don't seem to be having a problem, it's international users. I can fix this quick.

Guys can you see this? @Armstrong @jhungary
99mrSE5.jpg

Maybe there is something wrong with the image hosting service? Can you guys recommend a good free one? What I've also noticed is that UK users don't seem to be having a problem, it's international users. I can fix this quick.

99mrSE5.jpg

Yes ! :agree:

An Apache !

I can see the apache on your post but not any one of your other image

99mrSE5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom