What's new

My write up/experiences of the world's biggest military show the Royal International Air Tatto 2015

This thread is definitely one of the best so far. Thank You @waz bhai jaaan! :)

My fondest and humblest felicitations to my brothers. :)

Thank you for Nihonjin O'Tou, am I right? Or is it Nihonjin Onee? :-)

I indeed past on your greetings to them. That's them in the photo saying thank you to all the posters and especially yourself.

Maybe there is something wrong with the image hosting service? Can you guys recommend a good free one? What I've also noticed is that UK users don't seem to be having a problem, it's international users. I can fix this quick.

Guys can you see this? @Armstrong @jhungary
99mrSE5.jpg

Hi,

If you would have asked me---I would say that I can see all the images---but as you did not---I won't say a thing.

Hi,

If you would have asked me---I would say that I can see all the images---but as you did not---I won't say a thing.

Ha, I fixed them all bro. It seemed that non UK users could not view them, so I hosted them on an international site and they could be viewed by all then.

The Jordanians @BLACKEAGLE @Saif al-Arab

The Jordanians for many years have been an integral part of the Tattoo, especially since the King himself is a pilot. The Jordanians are the most zaniest, funniest, warm-hearted and hospitable folk around. They really pull out the stops to make their presence a success. As usual the Jordanian Air Force sets up a greeting tent, the only air force to I might add. The tent itself has lots of pictures, paintings and cultural items from Jordan. The tent reminded me of a giant tourism board that came to life! The tent was very comfortable and the personal welcomed people and talked to them about Jordan, its Air Force and current operations. I remember a few years back the Jordanian guys were selling carpets and vases, which people lapped up, especially the ladies. Upon entering the tent we had several of the personal welcome us and ask us to look around. We engaged them in conversation about his excellency the king and current operations against ISIS. They were very open and talked a great deal about he threat such terrorists posed to Jordan and how this is a fight they must and want to win. We said goodbye and they told us to wait, one of them went off and came back and gave us free badges, which they also gave to other visitors. Outside they had their customary bagpipe player who impressively kept up playing throughout the day! That’s eight hours, with breaks though!

Here are the pictures.

llSI5XY.jpg

OMTai0Q.jpg

26r1H0K.jpg

nKEz7ou.jpg

V4jMNFd.jpg

Bagpipe player my video

Once again, thank you to his excellency the King, who has promised to always send a delegation from Jordan and of course the Jordanian Air Force, you guys take hospitality to another level.

A wonderful post and thread brother. To be more precise one of the very best threads that I have seen on PDF in a very long time. I will try to read the entire thread.

Also it's pleasing to hear that the Jordanians represented the Arab nation and people very well in this military show.

I will tag @Ahmed Jo who is a Jordanian member as well. The user @Nishan too.

A wonderful post and thread brother. To be more precise one of the very best threads that I have seen on PDF in a very long time. I will try to read the entire thread.

Also it's pleasing to hear that the Jordanians represented the Arab nation and people very well in this military show.

Definetly a great thread. Thanks for tagging me.

Excellent share @waz it was fun reading all the details and viewing the images. I hope you had a great time during you visit because i enjoyed a lot just reading about it.
Kindly move this to Airforce section please. It is not meant to be in the members club, this is worth sharing in the airforce section, kindly please move it.

Thank you brother, I'm glad you loved the thread. The Jordanians indeed do a great job of representing their nation and Arab people in general. They are amongst the most chatty, friendly bunch of guys you can meet.
Several years ago we had a huge Arab contingent turn out which included the Saudis, Jordanians, UAE, Qatar and Bahrain. I have videos and pictures from back then and I'll put them up in the Arab section.
Thank you for tagging in the other Jordanian members.

Excellent share @waz it was fun reading all the details and viewing the images. I hope you had a great time during you visit because i enjoyed a lot just reading about it.
Kindly move this to Airforce section please. It is not meant to be in the members club, this is worth sharing in the airforce section, kindly please move it.

Thank you bro. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. Yes it does need to ultimately end up on the air force section which I will do, once people have viewed it here. I put it in this section due to the extensive write-up I did.

Refresh your browser mate, other posters are saying they can seem.

The Japanese. @Nihonjin1051 @yoshi.oda

Now of the one of the biggest stars of the show, making its international debut the Japanese Kawasaki P1, an entirely Japanese made maritime surveillance Aircraft that is set to replace Japan’s P-3C Orions.

Firstly this Aircraft is incredible, it is both cosmetically pleasing, and I’m telling you the P1 literally shown on in the sun. The Japanese had made a tremendous effort in making it presentable and this was no small feat, considering it is a large aircraft, slightly smaller than its Boeing Poseidon counterpart. For tech information there is plenty on the P1 e.g. it operates with a Toshiba AESA radar and so forth.

Walking up to the aircraft, her Japanese crews from the Japan Maritime Self-defense force (11 crew) were all on hand to greet visitors. I walked up and said hello and the several of the crew smiled and bowed, as did I. I began to talk to the crew and told them how honored we were for the plane to have come to RIAT 2015 and this was one of the highlights we were looking forward to. They told us how happy they were here and how people treated them as longtime friends, as opposed to new guests who have come to the tattoo. They were handing out information sheets on the P1, which I thought was a nice touch.

As mentioned before the crew was inundated with fellow Japanese and visitors from other countries. The Japanese, who had mostly come from London, with a few from Japan itself had bought along their families, and the children were being held by the crew members which showed that soft human side, which is rare to see when people are on duty. The Japanese crowd was very enthusiastic and very proud of their new plane and crew. They then did something very praiseworthy; they spoke to the Japanese crowd in Japanese. I asked one of the Japanese students who was from London what they said, he told me that they had asked the Japanese folks to make way for their international visitors, as they were people they may only see once in their lifetimes whilst he Japanese were their brothers and sisters and will always be with them. The international guests loved this and thanked them. The Japanese also made a point of visiting every other Air force and were great ambassadors.

Here is a shot of them taking photos with the Jordanians.

059fbnI.jpg

I talked to most of the crew apart from the captain who was busy with official interviews from the world’s media.

Here are the photos.

GWefY0E.jpg

8d9z4Fh.jpg

eQLshgT.jpg

Japanese guys explaining things with a smile.

DL9vN1Y.jpg

Japanese pilots with smiles on their faces as always!

Nr3eI1b.jpg

The media talks to the JMSDF!

tdvTwTl.jpg
japan is trying to sell these to the uk after they abandoned the nimrod project(shame). a while ago japan was showing it off to an unknown customer. and this just so happens to be in the uk. i wonder who the mystery customer was?

nice pic of the nimrod showing its bomb bay doors
1095476.jpg

shame the nimrod being scrapped
_50966933_jex_937269_de27-1.jpg

The Dutch. (Netherlands) @Penguin

I’ve always found the Dutch personal very friendly and they enjoy themselves immensely at the Tattoo. The first showpiece I came across from the Dutch is one of their Apaches, this one belonging to the Royal Netherlands Airforce.

3GE1L9K.jpg

n1ZoVGN.jpg

You looking at me?

v4XZzwU.jpg

Dutch Apache display my video

Dutch Chinook

iyK4sao.jpg

The queue was reasonable outside the Dutch Chinook and it was lovely for the Dutch to have opened up the helicopter for people to have a look inside. This takes a great deal of supervision and patience on behalf of the team. Another thing I noticed that most of the people in the queue were Dutch themselves, and this seemed to be a trend as people flocked to their country’s Air forces’ to say hello. Upon entering the Chinook we were greeted warmly by the Dutch crew and support staff, with a big “good morning”, to which we replied to with big smiles on our faces. One thing I was taken back by was the sheer height of the Dutch, I’m not small myself, just shy of 6ft 1 and 210lbs, but these guys were giants, with several being around 6ft 4 mark. I now know why the Dutch have the tallest average height in the world. I laughed and said them they needed bigger ceilings in the Chinook for them, which made them laugh as well. My friend remarked how well the RNLAF was equipped to which one of the pilots said “well we have so many tulips to shoot up you know”, to which the crowd inside the aircraft erupted into laughter.

Inside the Chinook

LYrIK4k.jpg

Cockpit

Ye8635s.jpg

Once again we thanked the Dutch, and I’d like to say they were a very pleasant bunch of guys and remained cheerful throughout the day and many people commented on this. Thank you to the RNLAF!
@waz having difficulty viewing the pics

USAF KC135R stratotanker

KPhNnc6.jpg

US army Blackhawk medical evacuation helicopter.

TbF4Jrm.jpg

b0sXEBG.jpg

To end my US tour I came to the US army Apache area and once again the pilots had opened up the chopper for people to take a look inside. The army pilots were again friendly and willing to take questions from anyone. One of the pilots, the chap in my pictures, was lifting up children to sit on the Apache and have their picture taken. Having seen the Apache so many times now in real life, I can’t get over the size and sheer beast like nature of this machine.

Here are the pictures.

H5sEju0.jpg

2gEosnC.jpg

H8H0TIY.jpg

rnR9YSd.jpg

tvQc55s.jpg

Finally I’d like to say a big thank you to the USAF, USN and US army for their contributions to this year’s tattoo. You guys were great ambassadors for your country and everyone spoke of your warmth and openness, especially with regards to opening up so many machines. The nonsense you hear from some folks who say that US personal are ignorant and not very talkative during such events is exactly that i.e. nonsense. Thank you for the compliments about my haircut as well; yes I have a jarhead lol.
when are we getting our f35b's over to the uk. i know we got 4 at florida for training

japan is trying to sell these to the uk after they abandoned the nimrod project(shame). a while ago japan was showing it off to an unknown customer. and this just so happens to be in the uk. i wonder who the mystery customer was?

nice pic of the nimrod showing its bomb bay doors
View attachment 242050

shame the nimrod being scrapped
View attachment 242051

I spoke to RAF personal there and they said the Japanese deal to replace the Nimrod is practically signed now. I'm not sure who the mystery customer is, as there are so many countries that would be interested.

@waz having difficulty viewing the pics

Can you see the others, especially the British segment?

when are we getting our f35b's over to the uk. i know we got 4 at florida for training

Ha! Don't mention that aircraft. So many folks in the UK military aviation industry are angry at what is going. The plane was meant to make its debut last year but ran into technical issues. One was to be flown by a BAE test pilot, the other the USMC was bringing with them. Neither came. This year the plane was not even mentioned! That's a full year after the problem mentioned earlier. It's just strange what is going on.

I spoke to RAF personal there and they said the Japanese deal to replace the Nimrod is practically signed now. I'm not sure who the mystery customer is, as there are so many countries that would be interested.

Can you see the others, especially the British segment?

Ha! Don't mention that aircraft. So many folks in the UK military aviation industry are angry at what is going. The plane was meant to make its debut last year but ran into technical issues. One was to be flown by a BAE test pilot, the other the USMC was bringing with them. Neither came. This year the plane was not even mentioned! That's a full year after the problem mentioned earlier. It's just strange what is going on.
you did not get the hint it was the uk they were showing the jet of to.

i don't like the f35 at all and the f35 b is the worst of the 3 they should have got the f35c at it carries more weapons and has a greater range. but the aircraft carriers don't have a launch system and arrestor cables. or do what the french did with a navalised rafale and get a naval eft. now that would be good not going to happen though.

Back
Top Bottom