What's new

My name is Pakistan and I’m not an Arab

People like Nadeem Paracha actually end up helping the religious fanatics, because they equate liberalism with rejecting Islam, and it makes the job of real liberals that much harder.

Is it a joke?

only people like Asif Ali Zardari, Baynazir Ali Bhutto, Nawaz Sharif got to rule Pakistan,, not the kind of religious people you have in your mind.

How you consider them part of any equation? There is so much media campaign against any one who even call him self Muslim... Pakistan never provide security or protocol or privileges to religious people!

Meanwhile in Arabia.... dont see them complaining about cultural taints and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely, but do you feel violated with english? Do you feel you are being tainted by speaking it ? Would you rather write English in persian script or have Shakespeare translated into a local language in fear of it tainting your culture if you read it as it is?

Not at all, i read the Quran in English and i feel that when i have an understanding of what i'm saying when i Praise Allah or when i recite the Kalima i say it with more pride.

Not a fan of Shakespeare. However, i would prefer to read it in its original English if i were a fan. But that is not to say that i would learn English just to read a book of poetry or theatrical plays.

English is more broader than Urdu. In fact, many people have began to incorporate English words into Urdu in their every day usage of the language.

The fear of culture being "tainted" is unfounded with concern to language. We can try to teach our younger generations both languages. In fact, the more languages a child exercises the better his/her chances of becoming fluent in those languages, even if he/she learns multiple languages in the same time period. I myself am an example of that.

Not at all, i read the Quran in English and i feel that when i have an understanding of what i'm saying when i Praise Allah or when i recite the Kalima i say it with more pride.

Not a fan of Shakespeare. However, i would prefer to read it in its original English if i were a fan. But that is not to say that i would learn English just to read a book of poetry or theatrical plays.

English is more broader than Urdu. In fact, many people have began to incorporate English words into Urdu in their every day usage of the language.

The fear of culture being "tainted" is unfounded with concern to language. We can try to teach our younger generations both languages. In fact, the more languages a child exercises the better his/her chances of becoming fluent in those languages, even if he/she learns multiple languages in the same time period. I myself am an example of that.

Try explaining that to those that are paranoid. I dont remember the last time I heard an American complain about cultural taints when they wear a Poncho to a party.

(My name is Khan and I'm not a terrorist) x (acute sense) = My name is Pakistan and I'm not an Arab.

I thought Mr. Paracha could do better than this.

Been born and raised in Saudi Arabia- even i will never want to be called an "arab"-
I am and will be Pakistani-
Whats the nadeem ulokapatha's sample size?- whats his basis of such gross derogatory generalisations?-

Are you fluent in Arabic?

Been born and raised in Saudi Arabia- even i will never want to be called an "arab"-
I am and will be Pakistani-
Whats the nadeem ulokapatha's sample size?- whats his basis of such gross derogatory generalisations?-

Sir aaap ka koi kamal nahin asal mein Bhabi ka tehkaa haii ke aap ko inline rakhaa hovaa hai warnaa aap ki tou pooorii kooshish thiii keii Royal Family mein seii doosri begum dhooond leiiin ! :lol:

But of course, Bhabi nei eik Bat ke saaath aap ki jitniii pataiii kiii utnii tou awam Zardari ki bhii na kareiii ! :fie:

Do you see the Irony in your post? I think it is an Irony we all experience. English is Not our native language, it is foreign to us, but we have accepted it, yet we seem reluctant to accept Arabic because it is a foreign language?

The irony.

Do you see the Irony in your post? I think it is an Irony we all experience. English is Not our native language, it is foreign to us, but we have accepted it, yet we seem reluctant to accept Arabic because it is a foreign language?

The irony.

Epic post-
Such people are hypocrites-

Dont worry bro, Pakistan is slowly transforming into India! Our culture and traditions revolves around Indian. Just turn on the tele and watch how indian celebrities farts are broadcast and even common pakistani loves to discuss this with passion.

I would like to add there is another factor which is very anti Indian, not because they hate India, but because they are influenced by Western American culture, The Burger kids hate Indian culture with a passion, they find everything about Indian culture irritating. The burger kids listen to western English music, or Pakistani music inspired by western culture, they only watch hollywood movies and tv series and hate bollywood and indian soaps with a passion. They even go far to use the English language to carry out day to day conversations.

I think we often over look this...

So in a way, we have an anti thesis to growing Indian culture in our society, which is the growing western culture in our society. So I wonder, if we might end up having a polarized the society? Mr Imran Khan is of the opinion our society is being polarized...

It's your perspective without any basis in fact, it's mostly used by insecure men by distorting verses from the Quran to make it look like a Islamic thing.
Think about it, namaz/salat is mentioned so many times in the Quran and very clearly but hijab is mentioned only where the meaning doesn't even refer to the dress!

Dude we take guidance from Quran as well as hadiths to derive the laws..Namaz is mentioned in Quran but procedure of namaz , how many rakaat naamz, their timings, how to do ablution and everything related to it is taken from hadits and same is the case of many others islamic things including hijab. You can claim to be more expert of those who are well versed in arabic and made hijab part of islam..i am not talking about burqa here

The clearest verse on the requirement of the hijab is surah 24:30–31, asking women to draw their khimār over their bosoms

Hijab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Epic post-
Such people are hypocrites-

Wo.. those are strong words . My intentions were nothing like that. I was merely pointing out the irony we experience, because I can relate to desert foxes experiences and I admire his open mindedness towards foreign languages. I read the Quran in English because I can better understand it, but I am too lazy to learn Arabic..
@Desert Fox

Last edited by a moderator:

The irony.

Irony is that the urdu they feel proud of contain many words of Arabic especially same Alphabets when it come to writing :D

Back
Top Bottom