What's new

My Adventures Across China

Qinghai-Tibet Railway.(very hard to get any ticket)
Errr.... is it possible to get ticket for foreigner? How did get one anyway? Flying there defeat the purpose....

#Did you get altitude sickness?

Errr.... is it possible to get ticket for foreigner? How did get one anyway? Flying there defeat the purpose....

#Did you get altitude sickness?
That'd be a long story.
U will have to arrange a tour in an agency, one without a Chinese ID has to do that. Avoid summer vocation(7/8) cause tickets sold out and very foggy.
There are plenty of trains per day to Lhasa, from Shanghai/Beijing/Guanghou/Lanzhou/Xining.
Better to adapt one day in Xining(2000metre).
In Lhasa it will be fine, only mild headache for the majority.(3200m)
But i spent a night in EBC(Everest Base Camp,5200m), that night was like in hell.
Altitude Sickness? No one will get rid of it unless u are local. Mild one for most. Some is fatal but it is estimated that RABIE causes more mortality than altitude sickness in Tibet

Last edited:
Blue Moon Valley, National Park of Jade Dragon Snowy Mountain
Shuttle buses were really crowed. Cannot imagine how crowed it would be during peak seasons like summer vocation and national day.

View attachment 197724

Prefer to walk rather than by a minibus. Walking at an altitude of 3500 metre was easy, trees everywhere to provide sufficient oxygen.
View attachment 197725 View attachment 197728 View attachment 197726

Sorry, I like to Panda people. LOL
View attachment 197727

Both. A special competition in winter.

These are really imposing. Where is this city?

You are the marco polo of PDF Chinese bro, lol, and are also very lucky to have travelled so widely in our country, really enjoy this thread & all who have contributed thus far!

You are the marco polo of PDF Chinese bro, lol, and are also very lucky to have travelled so widely in our country, really enjoy this thread & all who have contributed thus far!
Marco Polo? Can not really live up to this name. Glad to know u enjoy it. U know, there are so many places to explore. China is so big and diverse. I will never sense how big China is without having these trips.

Of all my journeys of 2014, this one is what I'd like to share with you most.
@Nihonjin1051 @Yizhi @birdy @powastick @cirr @Place Of Space @xudeen @yusheng @Keel @mike2000 @ChineseTiger1986 @LeveragedBuyout @Zeng Ge @TaiShang @sweetgrape @Edison Chen @SvenSvensonov @ahojunk @Indos @Yahoooooo! @xuxu1457 @Jlaw @Fattyacids @+4vsgorillas-Apebane @Shotgunner51 @Martian2 @SHAMK9 @sicsheep @Stranagor @cnleio @BoQ77 @Umair Nawaz @JSCh @Jguo @Economic superpower @Bussard Ramjet etc.etc.etc.

I've sent my words and photos to an Indian who is currently working in China.He beautified my words and posted these travelogues in his blog.
Sulekha.com Member Profile page

I've been to northwestern Yunnan Province for 3 times. I'll post mainly on 2014 Yunnan trip and mix it with my previous two.
View attachment 197664

I did't spend a night in Kunming, capital of Yunnan Province this time. After fly from Shanghai, I took a shuttle bus to kunming Railway Station where I transferred to a slow day train directly to Lijiang, a UNESCO site.

Kunming Railway Station
My train K9612 took about 8 hours for this mountainous single-track route, approximately 520km(hard seat 49RMB, hard bed 107RMB, soft bed 167RMB). Kunming is expected to link HSR system in the coming 2years, a Kunming-Shanghai HSR line.
View attachment 197666

These were Kunming in my 2010 trip.
Last time there I found not Metro system, but when I reached Kunming Airport and found out there is a 3-line system and more under construction.

Kunming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
View attachment 197667

I captured this photo when the train rode on the eastern bank of Erhai Lake(ear sea), Dali City.

Erhai Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
View attachment 197665

Before posting my Jade Dragon Snowy Mountain experiences in Lijiang, I'd like to post some of my last Dali tours in 2010 and 2013.
View attachment 197671

Dali Railway Station
View attachment 197672

Old town of Dali
Dali City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
View attachment 197673

A church in Dali. @Nihonjin1051
View attachment 197674
Very AWESOME, U can consider to write a book to introduce China independent tours and share ur good experiences to other readers, add cost & route ... WELL DONE indeed !!!

Very AWESOME, U can consider to write a book to introduce China independent tours and share ur good experiences to other readers, add cost & route ... WELL DONE indeed !!!
Since you're Chinese, I recommend domestic series of Lonely Planet (only Chinese available), every province/city a book, very detailed written by locals or seasoned travelers. I've bought nearly all of them, including Yunnan, Sichuan, Silk Road, Beijing, Fujian,etc.
http://www.amazon.cn/Lonely-Planet-...d=1425178819&sr=1-1&keywords=lonely+planet+云南

These are really imposing. Where is this city?

It's in Utah, I lived in Park City for 17 1/2 years:

Park City Utah | Official Website | Hotels | Skiing | Snowboarding | Restaurants | Events | Winter Ski Vacation Information

Park City Mountain Resort | Top Ranked Ski and Snowboard Resort in Park City, Utah
@SvenSvensonov ,

I'm planning on a trip to Mount Zion in Utah this summer. Actually, im driving from NJ all the way to Arizona, and planning to stop by Utah as well. Friends tell me that Mt. Zion in Utah is a place to go to. But yea, i'll be heading towards the Grand Canyon , too. :)

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:... I really should add a few more:lol:

Seriously, compared to Virginia, Utah is Shangri La, well for me anyways:smitten:.

I know you're religious so that aspect of Utonian culture shouldn't be an issue for you, but I feel it puts too many people off... even though they are religious Utahites are still rather normal people. When I mention Utah to anyone the first thing I'm asked is "Are you Mormon?". No, I'm not LDS, but why don't you people inquire about other things like Flaming Gorge, the Cottonwood Canyons, Hidden Lake or one of hundreds or mountainous caves... it's always religion:(.

Well I can't complain too much, more skiing and less crowding on the slopes for the rest of us:yahoo:.

On your way south try to stop by Moab and check the native culture, especially the petroglyphs:

9737_11356_Moab_Utah_Indian_Rock_Art_md.jpg

not afraid of heights are you?

header_2.jpg

Or drop by Arches National Park:

arches_national_park__arc_of_delicate_arch_by_alierturk-d5of90v.jpg

AST87-103w.jpg

Mount Zion National Park is amazing too... the whole state is amazing. Seriously People Utah Is Amazing!!! The only downsides are 70 mph winds, inversion and the occasional valley-wide stench of "lake" - from the Salt Lake.

3573439-_MG_1169.jpg

zion-national-park-subway-emerald-water-pool_51258_600x450.jpg

images.jpg

Oh, and I have a sister (three of them, one brother) that goes to Utah State... just saying:azn:.

Gah!!! I've got such bad "Utah envy" right now. Freud would not be impressed.

Last edited:
It's in Utah, I lived in Park City for 17 1/2 years:

Park City Utah | Official Website | Hotels | Skiing | Snowboarding | Restaurants | Events | Winter Ski Vacation Information

Park City Mountain Resort | Top Ranked Ski and Snowboard Resort in Park City, Utah

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:... I really should add a few more:lol:

Seriously, compared to Virginia, Utah is Shangri La, well for me anyways. I know you're religious so that aspect of Utonian culture shouldn't be an issue for you, but I feel it puts too many people off... even though they are religious Utahites are still rather normal people. When I mention Utah to anyone the first thing I'm asked is "Are you Mormon?". No, I'm not LDS, but why don't you people inquire about other things like Flaming Gorge, the Cottonwood Canyons, Hidden Lake or one of hundreds or mountainous caves... it's always religion:(.

Well I can't complain too much, more skiing and less crowding on the slopes for the rest of us:yahoo:.

On your way south try to stop by Moab and check the native culture, especially the petroglyphs:

View attachment 197859

Or drop by Arches National Park:

View attachment 197860

View attachment 197861

Mount Zion National Park is amazing too... the whole state is amazing. Seriously People Utah Is Amazing!!! The only downsides are 70 mph winds, inversion and the occasional valley-wide stench of "lake" - from the Salt Lake.

View attachment 197862

View attachment 197863

View attachment 197864

Oh, and I have a sister (three of them, one brother) that goes to Utah State... just saying:azn:.

Gah!!! I've got such bad "Utah envy" right now. Freud would not be impressed.

Buddy, you're teasing my eyes with these pictures! lol. Seriously tho im mapping down the state parks that i'll be passing through this cross country drive. I've already made plans in Texas as i'm driving though the state and one placei 'll be stopping by is the Alamo (historical sites, you know me, i'm a geek when it comes to US military/ battlefield sites).

As for the religious aspect, yes, i knew about the strong LDS presence in the state, but that's no worry, since i admire their devotion and faith. I'm actually interested in going inside their Mormon Temple just to have a feel and appreciate it. I'm excited, man. Btw, i'm driving with my gf, so this will be a great thing for the both of us to do together. And experience. :)

Thanks for the recommendations @SvenSvensonov !!

Marco Polo? Can not really live up to this name. Glad to know u enjoy it. U know, there are so many places to explore. China is so big and diverse. I will never sense how big China is without having these trips.

@AndrewJin
请收下我的膝盖!!!

thank you again for providing us these wonderful pictures! we are indeed lucky to have you here for peaceful discussions.:agree:

i was on CRH yesterday and too tired to think or type anything recently.... sorry for all the late replys. :hitwall:

as for travel tips for Northeast, i highly recommend you to do a self drive along the Yalu River bordering NK from Dandong downstream all the way up to Changbai mountain! it's not a touristy route thus quite relaxing and comfortable, get to see NK just across the river too. Changbai mountain is a must for Northeast travels, besides beautiful scenery the geological history about its formation is also quite stunning:
2008722142022635_2.jpg

200891673515523_2.jpg

the Russia- China border in Heilongjiang is worth travelling too, Harbin in winter hold wonderful snow & ice scupture festivals: Snow and ice amusements in Harbin

:cheers: to your adventurous traveler's spirit. truly wish i could find time and adequate budget to do tours across China, i'm jealous of you now!:mad:

@AndrewJin
请收下我的膝盖!!!

thank you again for providing us these wonderful pictures! we are indeed lucky to have you here for peaceful discussions.:agree:

i was on CRH yesterday and too tired to think or type anything recently.... sorry for all the late replys. :hitwall:

as for travel tips for Northeast, i highly recommend you to do a self drive along the Yalu River bordering NK from Dandong downstream all the way up to Changbai mountain! it's not a touristy route thus quite relaxing and comfortable, get to see NK just across the river too. Changbai mountain is a must for Northeast travels, besides beautiful scenery the geological history about its formation is also quite stunning:
2008722142022635_2.jpg

200891673515523_2.jpg

the Russia- China border in Heilongjiang is worth travelling too, Harbin in winter hold wonderful snow & ice scupture festivals: Snow and ice amusements in Harbin

:cheers: to your adventurous traveler's spirit. truly wish i could find time and adequate budget to do tours across China, i'm jealous of you now!:mad:
These are heavenly places! Thank you for your recommendation.
Have u been to this lake before?
I like the Chinese saying, 读万卷书不如行万里路(One can learn more by travelling ten thousand miles than by reading ten thousand books. I like this saying cause I didn't read as much as @Nihonjin1051 .:p:

Last edited:
Anyway, i think you are one of the few good/humble members on here. Keep up with your good work my man. I enjoy all your posts so far(cant say the same for many members on here).

In fact you are the only good/humble member on here. The rest is worthless.

You better stop this rant already! It is somehow reminiscent of your past behavior who used to seek good and humble slaves.

Now, if you are willing to be good and humble (at least do what you preach others), there will be some old British slaves ready to colonize you and keep you good and humble forever.

We won't be good and humble the way you mean it. You should stop insulting others' intelligence.

On topic:

The vast, majestic scenery of ‪‎Turpan‬ in China's ‪‎Xinjiang‬‪ ‎Region. (CCTV)

10423659_10153156982009759_3368882631211899114_n.jpg

1504938_10153156982079759_4624383732713926289_n.jpg

11034176_10153156982084759_6608961584292967886_n.jpg

10986935_10153156982124759_2800666573183039133_n.jpg

11016840_10153156982129759_7847850577002038475_n.jpg

10676325_10153156982149759_3338923535329460325_n.jpg

10425056_10153156982164759_1640555892573782068_n.jpg

10523785_10153156982134759_5101301040433336333_n.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back