What's new

Musharraf still getting protocol in London

Interceptor

Reaction score

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

By Muhammad Ahmad Noorani

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan High Commission (HC) in London has been directed by Islamabad to give former dictator General (retd) Pervez Musharraf full protocol of ex-president during his stay in London, Pakistan’s High Commissioner to the UK Wajid Sham-ul-Hassan told The News.

“We are bound to act in line with the directions of Islamabad and we have been formally directed by the Foreign Office that Pervez Musharraf should be given the protocol of an ex-president, which we are giving to him,” said the high commissioner.

Wajid said the HC used to send a protocol car and a protocol officer to receive and see off Musharraf whenever he arrived or left the UK. He said they also arranged for a VIP lounge for Musharraf but the money was paid by the ex-dictator.

General Musharraf also has at his disposal the services of, at least, 12 regular officers of the Pakistan Army for his security in London, sources in the HC told The News.

A 12-member team of Pakistan Army’s regular officers is deputed at Musharraf’s luxurious residence situated on the Edgware Road, London, for his security and for providing him daily services. According to sources, this team is being paid a huge amount per month from the national exchequer.

Former chief of the Army staff (COAS) Mirza Aslam Beg, while talking to this correspondent, said that according to the rules and regulations of the Pakistan Army, no such protocol was permissible for an ex-Army chief. Beg disclosed that some years back there was some rule of providing a batman, a PS, a driver and an Army telephone to an Army chief on his retirement. “But Benazir Bhutto, during her second tenure as prime minister, had ordered the then COAS Jahangir Karamat to withdraw these facilities from me,” Beg said, adding: “This rule of providing no facility to an ex-Army chief made on the orders of Benazir Bhutto still prevails.”

Beg said no Jawan or officer of the Pakistan Army could be deputed with an Army chief after his retirement for security purposes. Provision of such a facility in a foreign country is simply out of the question. Beg, however, held the present government responsible for this, saying the Army chief on his own could not do so.

Spokesman for the Pakistan Army and DG ISPR Major General Athar Abbas, while talking to The News, however, refuted Mirza Aslam Beg’s view, saying according to rules, certain number of staff was deputed with an ex-Army chief.

“I am not sure for what duration this staff can remain with an ex-Army chief,” Athar Abbas said when asked whether this staff had been deputed with Musharraf for some limited time. “I will not say more than this,” he said when asked whether according to these rules the staff deputed with an ex Army chief was also allowed to move to other countries if the ex-Army chief opted to leave the country.

Musharraf’s ex-spokesman Maj-Gen (retd) Rashid Qureshi, who returned to Pakistan recently after meeting his ex-boss in London, when approached by The News to confirm the information simply lost his temper. “Everybody has seen your bias and prejudice. No one likes to talk to you.” This correspondent failed to understand what he was referring to — me, my newspaper, my group or the entire media.

A new self-styled spokesman of Musharraf, Barrister Muhammad Ali Saif, when approached in London for comments, said: “Yes, there are some Army officials deputed with Musharraf but according to my knowledge some of them have resigned from their Army positions.”

Saif, however, admitted that this 12-member team was headed by a serving Colonel, Ilyas, of the Pakistan Army. When asked whether according to rules Musharraf, as an ex-Army chief, could have such a protocol, Saif replied that this question should be put to the Pakistan Army.

To a question, Saif said that if an “unbiased” commission or tribunal was formed for the trial of General Musharraf under the Article-6, the ex-general could appear before it. He said Musharraf was going to the US in early September for delivering lectures and would be free by mid-October. He said he had also received invitations from some South American countries, including Brazil. He said after that, Musharraf would think about returning to Pakistan.

Wajid Sham-ul-Hassan also confirmed to The News that Colonel Ilyas interacted with the HC for matters regarding Musharraf. “I don’t know how many Army officials have been appointed at Musharraf’s residence,” he said.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

There goes the rumors he wasn't safe.

admitted that this 12-member team was headed by a serving Colonel, Ilyas, of the Pakistan Army.

It is ok Musharaf is getting protocol, after all he is eX-COAS, X-President of Pakistan (no one can change it), But 12 members are too much, i think only 2-4 member should be deputed for him.

I believe It's good to give security to this guy since he is not only the X COAS and President of Pakistan but also a main target of terrorists so this guy deserve this. 2-4 personal are not enough to rebuff any group attack so it's good. If any terrorist gets his hand on Musharraf, Just imagin World goes off on us that how Musharraf knows a little where abouts of Nuks etc. Too much to risk and lastly it is the job of our army to protect him and we have no right to dictate our army how to do the job, it takes actions as needed

On the 2nd thought yeah you are right; ISI knows his job better then us.

It is ok Musharaf is getting protocol, after all he is eX-COAS, X-President of Pakistan (no one can change it), But 12 members are too much, i think only 2-4 member should be deputed for him.
When RAW kidnaps him and all of Pakistan's secrets are put at risk, then we'll ask why only 12 men were deputed for this task.

I think a high profile guy like him should be secured due to the amount of secretes he knows.
But he should avoid :blah::blah::blah: on media know because it gives his tracks.

When RAW kidnaps him and all of Pakistan's secrets are put at risk, then we'll ask why only 12 men were deputed for this task.

RAW or IB could have done that job easily when he visited India recently.:rolleyes:

RAW or IB could have done that job easily when he visited India recently.:rolleyes:
fellow friend was being sarcastic but just for your point he had his 12 men with him to defend him ;) rest lets not get into f this what if 12 were gone etc ......

I think even if he is single he can control RAW or IB agents. After all he is trained Pak Commando .....who never fear and makes quick descions.

The "golden Lota":lol: power beyond your imagination. Legend says Pir ISI, Sheikh Rasheed, Chaudry Shujaat and Pirzada forged it from pure gold in hell, it was so shinny it would blind the opposition. This mythical lota, no one quite knows its where abouts except Musharraf.

Last edited:
The "golden Lota":lol: power beyond your imagination. Legend says Pir ISI, Sheikh Rasheed, Chaudry Shujaat and Pirzada forged it from pure gold in hell, it was so shinny it would blind the opposition. This mythical lota, no one quite knows its where abouts except Musharraf.

Nawaz Sharif and Zaradri also know about this lota -)

They both are doing well after stealing billions from Pakistan.

Someone working for a Textile giant told me that the current owner paid 7 billion rupees CASH (roughly $100 million) to his two brothers in order to get their share of business and this guys in NOT the richest guy in Pakistan.

Now just imagine the money in Zardari and Nawaz Sharif's acct if a textile owner can pay 7 billion rupees in cash.

NS' father was a mid level steel factory owner and Zaradri's father was a mid level land lord ...

both NS and Zardari are involved in murder, fraud and all sorts of corruption ... trust me Gen. Musharraf deserves this security team if these guys do.

I am not so sure about the security of Ex-Army chief and president but If this is the case, Isnt he a permanent security risk for Pakistan? :what:

On a lighter note,Why dont they just clear his plates? :P -Fun intended, No offence!

I am not so sure about the security of Ex-Army chief and president but If this is the case, Isnt he a permanent security risk for Pakistan?

On a lighter note,Why dont they just clear his plates? -Fun intended, No offence!

Do you think he had PLATES during the nine years of his rule?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Please don't dare to say anything against SIR zardari. He is our darling...

Back
Top Bottom