What's new

Mumbai utterly disappoints.

What does it have? Does it have any of the things listed in OP? Or can it boast of greatness of cities like Moscow, Tokyo, Tehran, New York, Leningrad or London? These super-cities produce great scientists, literature, mathematicians, chess-players, film-makers, inventors, engineers, spy agencies etc. Mumbai only produces Baniyas. Such a hyped and overrated city. So many songs dedicated to it. But has got nothing to show in reality.

You seem to already have a well formed opinion.

Why did you tag me?

Cheers, Doc

You seem to already have a well formed opinion.

Why did you tag me?

Cheers, Doc

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

- James Branch Cabell

@srivatsa @punit

Now something about Mysore:

Nature is unpredictable. Of all the places in the world, some genuinely beautiful women can be unexpectedly found in a sleepy town in South India. And they are not exceptions. A large percentage of women of every generation of this town are stunning! Oasis is the metaphor for this. A mass of water in midst of desert.

@srivatsa @punit

Now something about Mysore:

Nature is unpredictable. Of all the places in the world, some genuinely beautiful women can be unexpectedly found in a sleepy town in South India. And they are not exceptions. A large percentage of women of every generation of this town are stunning! Oasis is the metaphor for this. A mass of water in midst of desert.
@shrivatsa

I had expectations and I was in awe about Mumbai due to two reasons. I have fond memories of growing up in Mumbai. In childhood, you don't have sense of quality. Moreover nostalgia distorts memory. Secondly, I had heard stories of Mumbai, implying greatness of the city. The tall claims included description like financial capital of the country, the city that never sleeps, fast-paced and efficient work culture, low cost of living, people having sharp intelligence, etcetera. Now I have seen the city after attaining maturity and I know that except the tag of financial capital, the perception of awesomeness of Mumbai is all bullshit.

How I wished the above cited stories were true. But to my dismay the actuality of Mumbai is as follows:

People, especially women (both locals as well as many immigrant settlers of that city) are ugly. The food there doesn't taste good. The prices of anything and everything in Mumbai is same as in Mysore or Bangalore. The people's IQ is pretty average. People are scary. Most are either corrupt or outright criminal minded and some are blood-thirsty demons. People's body language is obnoxious.

63106_365320410225260_1190279815_n_zps6b3130f6.jpg
@Nilu Pule

I had expectations and I was in awe about Mumbai due to two reasons. I have fond memories of growing up in Mumbai. In childhood, you don't have sense of quality. Moreover nostalgia distorts memory. Secondly, I had heard stories of Mumbai, implying greatness of the city. The tall claims included description like financial capital of the country, the city that never sleeps, fast-paced and efficient work culture, low cost of living, people having sharp intelligence, etcetera. Now I have seen the city after attaining maturity and I know that except the tag of financial capital, the perception of awesomeness of Mumbai is all bullshit.

How I wished the above cited stories were true. But to my dismay the actuality of Mumbai is as follows:

People, especially women (both locals as well as many immigrant settlers of that city) are ugly. The food there doesn't taste good. The prices of anything and everything in Mumbai is same as in Mysore or Bangalore. The people's IQ is pretty average. People are scary. Most are either corrupt or outright criminal minded and some are blood-thirsty demons. People's body language is obnoxious.

It's your view.

The city is been destroyed deliberately by politicians who love to import lower class votebank from the North.

Im from azad kashmir pakistan. I live in shenyang pakistan.

I had the same experience ans same thoughts about Lahore city. I visted and stayed there for a week back in 2014.

It was a tall tale or perhaps life in china has lifted my standards of perception but stories of lahore's greatness are all bullshit.

Perhaps to ordinary indians and pakistanis who haven't been to developed parts of earth , these cities seem too good?

Maay be once upon a time 30 or years ago they were top notch cities? But i can't compare any low level chinese city i visted so far with lahore.

May be its my fault and i havent visited less developed and less clean chinese towns.

To me Islamabad is 10 times better than lahore.

I just realized i replied to a 2 year old post.

@Juggernaut_is_here

@Shantanu_Left

- PRTP GWD

@Shantanu_Left

- PRTP GWD

I was born, and raised in Mumbai. Was schooled there, and went to college. It's my personal opinion the city had more vibrancy when it was called "BOMBAY". I remember the '90s when everyone would call it Bombay even after the city was officially renamed.

The city underwent a decline after 2003-04, around the same time I left India. One reason was uncontrolled immigration from other parts of the country. Land scarcity is a huge problem, Mumbai's planners should not have allowed so much migration in the early 2000's.

Of course there is a lot of developments in the suburbs, but I consider the entire Andheri (East) - Ghatkopar stretch to be a negative region. Despite more space, that area has ridiculous prices and is full of ridiculous people.

As a "townie," I still have a pad in South Mumbai, so I don't care much for the suburbanites. I have rarely ridden the local trains. The town is still very clean and beautiful. There are no filthy auto-rickshaws honking day and night. Also the Internet speeds are faster.

Yes there is the international airport in the suburbs. That's the only time I have to suffer the suburbs and the low-class, newly rich suburbanites. :cheesy:

I like areas such as Panvel, Belapur, Vikhroli, and some parts of Navi Mumbai much more compared to the hellish suburbs of Mumbai.

I think the suburbs can go to Hell, and merge with Arabian Sea or Gujarat for all I care. :undecided:As long as they leave the main town alone. If I were in charge, I would draw the border somewhere near Bandra, you guys can even keep Juhu, Versova, Marve, Madh Island...I don't care. All the suburbanites should be required to carry a VISA or one-day permit to enter the city. Sorry for sounding selfish but the city is very small in area, only 68 sq. km. That cannot accommodate the whole of India. And certainly not the whole riff-raff of India. It wasn't designed that way.

EDIT: my advice for any Mumbaikars trapped in the filthy suburbs...LEAVE now immediately. And do not return. There are so many places in India and the entire world which will offer you better living standards compared to sh*tholes like Goregaon and Borivali. So your mummy and daddy have a 80 sq. m flat there? Brilliant achievement. Ask them to sell that property and move elsewhere.

@xeuss :cheesy:

Last edited:
I was born, and raised in Mumbai. Was schooled there, and went to college. It's my personal opinion the city had more vibrancy when it was called "BOMBAY". I remember the '90s when everyone would call it Bombay even after the city was officially renamed.

The city underwent a decline after 2003-04, around the same time I left India. One reason was uncontrolled immigration from other parts of the country. Land scarcity is a huge problem, Mumbai's planners should not have allowed so much migration in the early 2000's.

Of course there is a lot of developments in the suburbs, but I consider the entire Andheri (East) - Ghatkopar stretch to be a negative region. Despite more space, that area has ridiculous prices and is full of ridiculous people.

As a "townie," I still have a pad in South Mumbai, so I don't care much for the suburbanites. I have rarely ridden the local trains. The town is still very clean and beautiful. There are no filthy auto-rickshaws honking day and night. Also the Internet speeds are faster.

Yes there is the international airport in the suburbs. That's the only time I have to suffer the suburbs and the low-class, newly rich suburbanites. :cheesy:

I like areas such as Panvel, Belapur, Vikhroli, and some parts of Navi Mumbai much more compared to the hellish suburbs of Mumbai.

I think the suburbs can go to Hell, and merge with Arabian Sea or Gujarat for all I care. :undecided:As long as they leave the main town alone. If I were in charge, I would draw the border somewhere near Bandra, you guys can even keep Juhu, Versova, Marve, Madh Island...I don't care. All the suburbanites should be required to carry a VISA or one-day permit to enter the city. Sorry for sounding selfish but the city is very small in area, only 68 sq. km. That cannot accommodate the whole of India. And certainly not the whole riff-raff of India. It wasn't designed that way.

EDIT: my advice for any Mumbaikars trapped in the filthy suburbs...LEAVE now immediately. And do not return. There are so many places in India and the entire world which will offer you better living standards compared to sh*tholes like Goregaon and Borivali. So your mummy and daddy have a 80 sq. m flat there? Brilliant achievement. Ask them to sell that property and move elsewhere.

@xeuss :cheesy:
You got it wrong. I made no mention of infrastructure, planning or immigrants. I was talking about local people - their intelligence, appearance, conscience, food quality etc.

And the Central Mumbai folks are not different from suburbanites. Cities are developed not by some aliens from outer space. Cities are formed by people from surrounding regions moving into that place.

- PRTP GWD

You got it wrong. I made no mention of infrastructure, planning or immigrants. I was talking about local people - their intelligence, appearance, conscience, food quality etc.

And the Central Mumbai folks are not different from suburbanites. Cities are developed not by some aliens from outer space. Cities are formed by people from surrounding regions moving into that place.

- PRTP GWD

Khamosh...bachay
Zipper-Mouth.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom