What's new

Mumbai utterly disappoints.

I had expectations and I was in awe about Mumbai due to two reasons. I have fond memories of growing up in Mumbai. In childhood, you don't have sense of quality. Moreover nostalgia distorts memory. Secondly, I had heard stories of Mumbai, implying greatness of the city. The tall claims included description like financial capital of the country, the city that never sleeps, fast-paced and efficient work culture, low cost of living, people having sharp intelligence, etcetera. Now I have seen the city after attaining maturity and I know that except the tag of financial capital, the perception of awesomeness of Mumbai is all bullshit.

How I wished the above cited stories were true. But to my dismay the actuality of Mumbai is as follows:

People, especially women (both locals as well as many immigrant settlers of that city) are ugly. The food there doesn't taste good. The prices of anything and everything in Mumbai is same as in Mysore or Bangalore. The people's IQ is pretty average. People are scary. Most are either corrupt or outright criminal minded and some are blood-thirsty demons. People's body language is obnoxious.

63106_365320410225260_1190279815_n_zps6b3130f6.jpg
@Nalini

Do you have anything to say?

@Nalini

Do you have anything to say?
My dear, every place on this planet will have its positives & negatives. Mumbai is the first city in India which got urbanized. It has witnessed continuous inflow of people coming from every part of India to make a career for more than a century now. Since 2000 the migration to Mumbai started reducing due to the economic boom & development in many other states & cities of India.

Mumbai still serves the uneducated, drop outs & lower class. Aproximately 60% of Mumbai's population live in slums with no running water, electricity and gas. The shelters are made out of, whatever materials that can be sourced for a cheap price. The living standards in slums are very low and rubbish pollutes the area so much that, large pipes are used as footpaths because the actual footpaths are too littered to walk on.

You need to understand due to fast & continuous migration for over a century, it's very difficult to stop the normal life of such a huge population to change the infrastructures, roads, sanitation, water pipes , electric wire & other mess. Mumbai ranks No.1 among the highest populated cities in the world. Roughly 30,000 people is the density per sqKm. It's a torturous & herculean challenge to change even the basic cosmetics of Mumbai.

There is approximately 7,000 metric tonnes of rubbish being disposed of each day by Mumbaians. With no mandatory recycling system in place by the government to date, Mumbai's waste is accumulating each day, and rubbish dumps are already filling up, polluting the area. On top of that, 700,000 cars are travelling on the roads of Mumbai each day. Creating air pollution with the rest of the manufacturing companies adding to it.

Life is very tough in Mumbai, so don’t expect strangers to be good to you. If a Mumbaikar act too nice to a stranger they immediately become suspicious, why is he/she behaving weird. Even continuous eye contact as a stranger is seen as an act of deceit or overt aggression. Yes to known people & friends, everything is fine & you know & experience the real love, especially the always fun filled Mumbaikars is an addiction, you will miss if you move away. Every cab and rickshaw driver makes small talk with you.

You call cops ;kaka’ and they let u go if u show of ur marathi speaking skills. You see men (not gay apparently) holding hands and walking in the street.

You will hear of crimes everyday. But you will hear or have a story like this to tell, I was travelling by bus, and slept off. My bag was open, and I was not aware of who was sitting next to me. Suddenly, the old woman who was seated there, told me very sweetly, that she was getting off now, so I should close the bag, and she did not want to wake me up before, because I was travelling till here. These stories build faith in the goodness of people. Mumbai, has good people. Let that be remembered. That is the best thing about Mumbai.

So take some time out and give a break to all the criticisms. It is easy to point out flaws but very difficult to accommodate near 20 million people and still be awesome! Mumbai is not for a laid back person or a faint heart. Only the toughest & best can survive Mumbai. You cant drive for more than 10 mins without abusing someone. With all the drawbacks & issues, even I have found it hard to keep pace with the pace of Mumbai, It just reminds you, you are nothing when you enter the competitive Mumbaikars. It’s the spirit of Mumbai which I salute. Mumbai has so much to offer, if you see it from the eyes of a Mumbaikar.

Regarding women again, every place will have variety of features, colour, dress & figure. Some may appeal to your eyes, some may not. It’s not right to generalize anybody.

Regarding food too, every place has it's own joints which when you live there you know what suits your taste. You can't expect a visual delight in small & road side restaurants. There is absolutely no time for people in Mumbai, so people's priority is filling their tummy most of time than looking at how the food is presented or how clean the place is.

There are only some cities which leave a bigger impression and influence on your life; they teach you something which you’d never experience anywhere else. Mumbai is definitely one of the top on that list!

Yes, it does look a bit scary when its your first time, but eventually, you get used to it & get addicted to it. Best way to explain Mumbai is – It’s like the locals, the crowd which pushes you into the train and also pushes you out of it as soon as the station arrives at your destination. Your life is exactly the same in Mumbai. These locals definitely teach you the value of every single second (similarly Mumbai), as you can’t manage to miss it in case you want to reach your office/school/college on time or your destiny in life.

After all the stress, struggles you can have an amazing night life or a weekend. Festivals are a treat in Mumbai. The hub of opportunities, the quintessential city of dreams, Mumbai - Salute.

Mumbai has a crime filled underworld, organised crime, smuggling, black markets, and kidnapping the rich for vast ransoms. You can get cheated at various places as tourist or new comer. But If you live there you would definitely feel, it's one of the safest city in India, definitely far safer than Delhi for girls. Anybody will hardly bother even if a girl is wearing tights or 2 piece dress.

In Mumbai, A Mumbaikar man will never stalk you, follow you, stare at you or look back to check you or pass a comment if you are a girl.

In Mumbai, A Mumbaikar man will never stalk you, follow you, stare at you or look back to check you or pass a comment if you are a girl.
I beg to differ. I personally know someone stalked by a Mumbai man even after the suburb was changed.

There may be many more. Quoting A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada: "Just as you can judge whether rice is properly cooked by picking out one small grain, so you can know an entire nation (city) by observing one of its handpicked youths."

The points you have stated are all superficial. Infrastructure, actresses, freedom mean nothing if the elements of daily life are not impressive. And nightclub is a faaltu (can't think of English translation for this apt word) thing which no decent family or person is interested in.

Talk about real substance.

What constitutes the majority of Mumbai? The suburbs like Kalyan, Ulhasnagar, Dombivli, Thane etcetra and the middle class people. The corresponding communities in Mysore have many GENUINELY beautiful women. Those in Mumbai do not. Why, I have seen beautiful women even in some villages near Mysore. You don't believe me, right? Come to Mysore and see for yourself.

I ate in many homes in Mumbai and I also had a lot of street side food. It was not impressive.

Are Mumbaikars any brighter? As I said earlier I was brought up in Mumbai. I don't see any difference.
If you don't like the nightlife, models (actresses look average ), and the high end infrastructure - there is no point going to a metropolitan city. Typically, the best looking folk (by global standards) in most bigger cities like bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi (ruling out exceptions) are from Punjab, the hill states like himachal/jammu/north east. Aside from this, the elite and UPPER middle class families from everywhere have good looking folks.

Mysore is a very beautiful place- but most girls have no fashion sense, and most people look average by global standards.

Adding some more clarity here- good looking girls in India are generally found in the better off and happening areas (malls, movie theatres, clubs, bars, shopping areas/markets). Good looking guys are literally everywhere .

I'm very comfortable in Colaba, and in bits of Bandra. Period.

Women? Pretty women everywhere, but in order of sequence:
  1. Srinagar
  2. Chandigarh
  3. Dehra Dun
  4. Shimla
  5. Delhi
Mumbai not on list.
The best looking folk from all these places tend to move to Mumbai/Gurgaon/Bangalore/US.

My dear, every place on this planet will have its positives & negatives. Mumbai is the first city in India which got urbanized. It has witnessed continuous inflow of people coming from every part of India to make a career for more than a century now. Since 2000 the migration to Mumbai started reducing due to the economic boom & development in many other states & cities of India.

A brilliant panegyric, but so wrong. Both Delhi and Lahore, not to mention a dozen others in India, including Lucknow and Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Surat, Mysore, Calicut, all were urbanised long before. In the British era, since you seem to be referring to that, both Madras and Calcutta preceded Bombay in urbanisation; Calcutta was the second city in the Empire long before Bombay reached any kind of international reputation.

Cooking the facts is unnecessary in your defence of Bombay/Mumbai.

Mumbai still serves the uneducated, drop outs & lower class. Aproximately 60% of Mumbai's population live in slums with no running water, electricity and gas. The shelters are made out of, whatever materials that can be sourced for a cheap price. The living standards in slums are very low and rubbish pollutes the area so much that, large pipes are used as footpaths because the actual footpaths are too littered to walk on.

You need to understand due to fast & continuous migration for over a century, it's very difficult to stop the normal life of such a huge population to change the infrastructures, roads, sanitation, water pipes , electric wire & other mess. Mumbai ranks No.1 among the highest populated cities in the world. Roughly 30,000 people is the density per sqKm. It's a torturous & herculean challenge to change even the basic cosmetics of Mumbai.

There is approximately 7,000 metric tonnes of rubbish being disposed of each day by Mumbaians. With no mandatory recycling system in place by the government to date, Mumbai's waste is accumulating each day, and rubbish dumps are already filling up, polluting the area. On top of that, 700,000 cars are travelling on the roads of Mumbai each day. Creating air pollution with the rest of the manufacturing companies adding to it.

Life is very tough in Mumbai, so don’t expect strangers to be good to you. If a Mumbaikar act too nice to a stranger they immediately become suspicious, why is he/she behaving weird. Even continuous eye contact as a stranger is seen as an act of deceit or overt aggression. Yes to known people & friends, everything is fine & you know & experience the real love, especially the always fun filled Mumbaikars is an addiction, you will miss if you move away. Every cab and rickshaw driver makes small talk with you.

You call cops ;kaka’ and they let u go if u show of ur marathi speaking skills. You see men (not gay apparently) holding hands and walking in the street.

You will hear of crimes everyday. But you will hear or have a story like this to tell, I was travelling by bus, and slept off. My bag was open, and I was not aware of who was sitting next to me. Suddenly, the old woman who was seated there, told me very sweetly, that she was getting off now, so I should close the bag, and she did not want to wake me up before, because I was travelling till here. These stories build faith in the goodness of people. Mumbai, has good people. Let that be remembered. That is the best thing about Mumbai.

So take some time out and give a break to all the criticisms. It is easy to point out flaws but very difficult to accommodate near 20 million people and still be awesome! Mumbai is not for a laid back person or a faint heart. Only the toughest & best can survive Mumbai. You cant drive for more than 10 mins without abusing someone. With all the drawbacks & issues, even I have found it hard to keep pace with the pace of Mumbai, It just reminds you, you are nothing when you enter the competitive Mumbaikars. It’s the spirit of Mumbai which I salute. Mumbai has so much to offer, if you see it from the eyes of a Mumbaikar.

Regarding women again, every place will have variety of features, colour, dress & figure. Some may appeal to your eyes, some may not. It’s not right to generalize anybody.

Regarding food too, every place has it's own joints which when you live there you know what suits your taste. You can't expect a visual delight in small & road side restaurants. There is absolutely no time for people in Mumbai, so people's priority is filling their tummy most of time than looking at how the food is presented or how clean the place is.

There are only some cities which leave a bigger impression and influence on your life; they teach you something which you’d never experience anywhere else. Mumbai is definitely one of the top on that list!

Yes, it does look a bit scary when its your first time, but eventually, you get used to it & get addicted to it. Best way to explain Mumbai is – It’s like the locals, the crowd which pushes you into the train and also pushes you out of it as soon as the station arrives at your destination. Your life is exactly the same in Mumbai. These locals definitely teach you the value of every single second (similarly Mumbai), as you can’t manage to miss it in case you want to reach your office/school/college on time or your destiny in life.

After all the stress, struggles you can have an amazing night life or a weekend. Festivals are a treat in Mumbai. The hub of opportunities, the quintessential city of dreams, Mumbai - Salute.

Mumbai has a crime filled underworld, organised crime, smuggling, black markets, and kidnapping the rich for vast ransoms. You can get cheated at various places as tourist or new comer. But If you live there you would definitely feel, it's one of the safest city in India, definitely far safer than Delhi for girls. Anybody will hardly bother even if a girl is wearing tights or 2 piece dress.

In Mumbai, A Mumbaikar man will never stalk you, follow you, stare at you or look back to check you or pass a comment if you are a girl.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks---I thought you would like that---.

Of course!

Incidentally, Pam Crain, Braz Gonsalves, that whole generation, got their first breaks in Calcutta, in Trinca's, in Blue Fox, in places like those with dance floors. That's when our AIs were still around, and Calcutta was still a relaxed, open-minded, open-hearted city. When women were safe at all times in all places.

Ah, fuggedaboutit.

I beg to differ. I personally know someone stalked by a Mumbai man even after the suburb was changed.

There may be many more. Quoting A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada: "Just as you can judge whether rice is properly cooked by picking out one small grain, so you can know an entire nation (city) by observing one of its handpicked youths."

Yes it does happen. There are always exception. I am saying in general, it's not a very common thing. I have been to most cities in India. Even Bangalore, Mysore, if a girl walks like this in night, men will just stand a stare, pass comment or follow the girl - Right or wrong

So compare to other cities Mumbai is far ahead & safer. Kolkatta is fine, but again it's similar to Mumbai in cleanliness. Chennai also has cleanliness problems in many areas. New Delhi little more cleaner compared to these cities. But I found people from Delhi the most arrogant, even women. You get into unwanted argument with Delhi girls, they will abuse you threaten you with consequences. 50-60% of rapes registered in Delhi are fake. Go to colleges, they have absolutely no respect for teachers. It's hell to be a teacher in Delhi colleges. If you leave out these factors, Delhi is again a beautiful place & a wonderful place to be. Another challenge of all these cities is the summer.

From all the places I have traveled, I feel Bangalore a well balanced city. Overall the place is peaceful, pleasant, cleaner & people are reasonable. Driving & travelling is a very big challenge. You will find a provision shop, bakery, tea shop & restaurant in 2-3 minutes walk-able distance in Bangalore not in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkatta. Hyderabad is equally good, but comparatively the weather is the better in Bangalore among most cities in India.

A brilliant panegyric, but so wrong. Both Delhi and Lahore, not to mention a dozen others in India, including Lucknow and Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Surat, Mysore, Calicut, all were urbanised long before. In the British era, since you seem to be referring to that, both Madras and Calcutta preceded Bombay in urbanisation; Calcutta was the second city in the Empire long before Bombay reached any kind of international reputation.

I am neither a Maharashtraian nor a Mumbaikar, so yes I could be wrong. I have visited Mumbai several times apart from Pune, Nagpur, Aurangabad & few other parts of Maharashtra. I have given my view based on what I have understood of Mumbai.

I left out Delhi, because it's the capital of India. A capital city does have maximum migration in almost all countries & everybody knows, most of the invaders had Delhi as its capital for the subcontinent. So yes you are right about Delhi, but as per population & stats, Mumbai is 2nd to Delhi. Don't forget there is a floating population who visit Mumbai every day from neighboring towns & other cities almost every day for official & business purposes.

upload_2018-4-15_14-56-6.png

Mysore is no where in comparison to Mumbai. It doesn't even come in the top 20 cities. Mumbai, the City of Dreams, attracts people who come in search of a dream & to become wealthy, to become successful. With $820 billion wealth, 46,000 Millionaires and 28 Billionaires, Mumbai is India’s most wealthiest city as per a recent report by New World Wealth.

Delhi is at #2 position with $450 billion wealth, 23,000 millionaires and 18 billionaires.

But the City of Joy, Kolkata, is catching up as the city reported 9,600 millionaires, thereby beating major cities such as Bengaluru (7700 millionaires); Hyderabad (9000 millionaires); Pune (4500 millionaires) and Chennai (6600 millionaires).

Only now these cities are doing the catching up, because there is no room for massive growth with in Mumbai. so the other cities are cashing in only in the last 2 decades. Mumbai has always been ahead of all the cities including Delhi from the time of independence.

Last edited:

[/QUOTE]

Joe beat me to it.

Yes, Calcutta urbanized before Bombay. But Delhi and Lahore? Definitely not. At least not in the Western sense of the word.

If you look at Calcutta and South Bombay - if you just look at the structures in the night or when they are sparsely populated, you could easily be in a European city.

I am obviously talking about areas like Ballard Estate.

That's because Bombay and Calcutta are essentially British cities built by the Brits. This is also reflected in the attitude of the people and their English speaking skills.

You also see in this in the old Clubs like Bombay Gym and Willingdon

I had expectations and I was in awe about Mumbai due to two reasons. I have fond memories of growing up in Mumbai. In childhood, you don't have sense of quality. Moreover nostalgia distorts memory. Secondly, I had heard stories of Mumbai, implying greatness of the city. The tall claims included description like financial capital of the country, the city that never sleeps, fast-paced and efficient work culture, low cost of living, people having sharp intelligence, etcetera. Now I have seen the city after attaining maturity and I know that except the tag of financial capital, the perception of awesomeness of Mumbai is all bullshit.

How I wished the above cited stories were true. But to my dismay the actuality of Mumbai is as follows:

People, especially women (both locals as well as many immigrant settlers of that city) are ugly. The food there doesn't taste good. The prices of anything and everything in Mumbai is same as in Mysore or Bangalore. The people's IQ is pretty average. People are scary. Most are either corrupt or outright criminal minded and some are blood-thirsty demons. People's body language is obnoxious.

63106_365320410225260_1190279815_n_zps6b3130f6.jpg
@padamchen

I like Bombay best. But would always choose to live in Poona (closest big metro to where I grew up and lived my boyhood).

I like Calcutta in a nostalgic boyhood vacations way. But that was a long time ago.

There is no other big city I like, to varying degrees.

It's a vibe thing. A culture thing. A people thing.

Cheers, Doc

I like Bombay best. But would always choose to live in Poona (closest big metro to where I grew up and lived my boyhood).

I like Calcutta in a nostalgic boyhood vacations way. But that was a long time ago.

There is no other big city I like, to varying degrees.

It's a vibe thing. A culture thing. A people thing.

Cheers, Doc
What does it have? Does it have any of the things listed in OP? Or can it boast of greatness of cities like Moscow, Tokyo, Tehran, New York, Leningrad or London? These super-cities produce great scientists, literature, mathematicians, chess-players, film-makers, inventors, engineers, spy agencies etc. Mumbai only produces Baniyas. Such a hyped and overrated city. So many songs dedicated to it. But has got nothing to show in reality.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom