What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try making a comment on that TOI article hinting a conspiracy, ur post will never be approved. I experienced it multiple times in a row.

I feel it would be dishonest not to mention that once I also saw a comment on TOI on something relating to Mumbai being an inside job, one guy clearly a Pakistani, wrote a huge comment mostly the Pakistani version of the event and his comment was approved!!! . He used words like "hindu-zionist", "inside job" etc on multiple occasions, yet he was approved, idk why.

:) none of my comments ever approved there even fair and balanced ones anyway thats another issue.

what you think of this statement by wife of Karkare

:) none of my comments ever approved there even fair and balanced ones anyway thats another issue.

what you think of this statement by wife of Karkare

There was clearly a cover-up, and that should be visible to everybody.

And based on circumstantial evidence It appears to me he may have been targeted from inside. :frown:

Bullet proof jacket can go missing since there is an enquiry on it's quality. About bacup not coming in 40 min is common delay. There is conspirecy as blast conspirators are still behind bars.

SM Mushrif, the author of "Who Killed Karkare?" and former police chief of Maharashtra state, has raised some very serious questions about the role of the Indian intelligence in the increasing violence committed by Hindutva outfits against India's minorities, and how India's Intelligence Bureau diverts attention from it by falsely accusing Indian Muslims and Pakistan's ISI, as was done in Malegaon and Samjutha Express blasts.

Haq's Musings: Terror in India--Who Killed Karkare?

If Indian Govt think she lies then the govt would rebute it as well as come up with proofs that bullet-proof jacket is not missing.

Its probably missing, question is so what? You can't expect the Mumbai police/civil administration to be as efficient as London's. In the carnage and confusion, one of the bulletproof jackets was misplaced or lost, and that's understandable.

Here's a possible scenario. It may have happened at the hospital where he as well as the others were rushed. Before declaring him dead on arrival, the doctors might have taken it off him(and the others). Also, other victims from the hotels or railway station would have been in need of urgent care. In the rush and confusion, its possible the need to bag and store the jackets was forgotten or not done efficiently and Karkare's jacket went missing.

Here's another. His jacket was recovered, cleaned, and restored to the general armory but due to administrative problems can't be recognizing(repainted serial number maybe). Alternatively, it was condemned due to its condition and was disposed off.

Maybe, its not with the Mumbai police, but with rest of the hundreds of bits of evidence collected and in the custody of the CBI, or state CID, or Mumbai court trying Kasab, or whoever supposed to have it.

Here's a fourth and very plausible possibility. The bloodstained jacket vest was rejected by the service (being unusable and not very hard to replace). The ballistic plates were removed and placed into another jacket vest. Hard to trace now, especially if its in the field.

Point is that a dozen things could have led to it being missing or untraceable. That doesn't imply a conspiracy. And lets face it, even if it was found, what big revelation can be expected from it. Its not a vital piece of evidence.

Last edited:
Mumbai probe fiasco: bad intelligence or poor media?

By Jawed Naqvi
Monday, 16 Nov, 2009 THE Americans have caught two men for plotting attacks in India and the Netherlands. One of the suspects is an American, the other a Canadian of Pakistani origin. According to the Indian media both men are linked to the Mumbai terror attacks of last November.

At least one Indian paper has blamed poor Indian intelligence for not unearthing the important lead themselves. They had to wait for the Americans to unravel the sinister plot, which may have had grave implications for India’s security and for its future ties with Pakistan.

But what have the Indian media themselves done to help with the Mumbai probe? They can’t say it is not their business. Just across the border, it was the Pakistani media that exposed the lie that was being dished out by their government and state institutions – that Ajmal Kasab, the sole surviving suspect in the Mumbai attack, was not a Pakistani. It was the Pakistani media that provided the clinching proof of Kasab’s Pakistani identity to the chagrin of their government. It was Pakistani TV and newspaper journalists who exposed the lie. They deserve to be applauded for helping the Mumbai probe.

The Indian media can legitimately plead that they didn’t know enough to reveal anything of consequence. Of course, it is often the case that what they do know they do not always share with the public. That is how the audio-visual details of the terror attack were made available by a British channel, not an Indian one.

Murdochian media everywhere is an acknowledged part of the system, often an extension of the state. In India senior editors are often too busy vying for a Raja Sabha seat to play the people’s sentinel. Barring a few exceptions, much of the so-called mainstream media cannot claim to be the peoples’ watchdog it once was.

That the Mumbai attack was possible because of poor intelligence is a fact acknowledged by Indian intelligence agencies. So there’s no point accusing someone who has already confessed to a failure. The Indian media, however, have not said mea culpa, not yet. There are some ways by which they could yet redeem themselves.

One way would be to heed important questions raised by the wife of Hemant Karkare, the head of Maharashtra’s anti-terror squad who was killed under mysterious circumstances on the first night of the three-day reign of terror in Mumbai’s Colaba district. The latest query raised by Kavita Karkare – a brave and candid lady of rare grace – pertains to the mystery of her husband’s missing bullet-proof jacket. What happened to the dead police officer’s bullet-proof vest? It may hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death.

According to a new book by a former chief of Inspector General of the Maharashtra Police, there are strong reasons to bifurcate the terror attacks into two separate episodes and to investigate them separately. One part of the attacks had a Pakistani connection. These took place in two hotels and a Jewish hostel in a posh area of the Colaba district. The other attacks happened at a busy railway station and in its vicinity. Most people were killed and injured there. Mr Karkare was also killed in the same area off the Rangabhavan Lane.

The book – Who killed Karkare? The real face of terrorism in India – by S.M. Mushrif raises questions on the basis of the media coverage of the sensational crime that went on for almost three full days. Mushrif has himself predicted what the fate of the book is likely to be. “It will be either ignored or it will be trashed without being read.” I read it in bits and found it asking pertinent questions about the terror attack that brought the peace process between India and Pakistan to a grinding halt and which killed a pivotal officer investigating India’s own rightwing upper caste extremists.

Mushrif brings out an intense rivalry between the country’s external spy agency RAW and the Intelligence Bureau (IB). He squarely blames the IB for allegedly withholding information provided by RAW about the imminent attack on Mumbai. Karkare, a secular police officer, had worked for RAW before his assignment as head of the ATS.

Subhash Gatade also asks some of the questions raised by Mushrif. In an article carried by Communalism Combat, Gatade noted how before him the ATS had “earned lot of disrepute - especially in the eyes of the minority - for its functioning”.

The manner in which it had handled the Nanded bomb blasts (April 2006) or Malegaon bomb blasts and also the bomb blasts in local trains (2007) had come under scanner. “Perhaps the powers that be were keen that someone with a professional approach takes up the mantle and Hemant Karkare was found to be the ideal person for it. One can presume that there were strong political considerations behind this choice as the ‘secular’ image of the parties in power - at the state and the centre - had taken a lot of hit because of these mishandlings.”

And Karkare demonstrated in a short span of time that he meant business, says Gatade. “It was evident in the manner in which he led the investigations into the bomb blasts in Gadkari Rangayatan, Thane and Panvel (June 2008) and ultimately nabbed the Hindutva terrorists belonging to the Sanatan Sanstha and filed a few hundred page charge-sheet against the accused in the stipulated time.

“Looking back it is clear that if the ATS would have been led by any other person who was less professional, it would have been impossible to expose the machinations of this ‘spiritual cult’ for whom ‘destruction of evil-doers’ was part of ‘spiritual practice’. Although the main charge-sheet against the accused did not contain names of the Sanatan Sanstha and Hindu Janjagruti Samity to which they belonged, he had promised in an interview that in a supplementary charge-sheet this omission would be corrected. It is a different matter that the day did not arrive,” Gatade said.

Kavita - Karkare’s wife - had learnt from newspapers that leaders of RSS, BJP, VHP and Shiv Sena were trying all possible means to decelerate the pace of investigations and were exerting lot of direct-indirect pressure on Karkare to go slow with the investigations. A few amongst them had even accused ATS of being on a witch-hunt and some had even demanded that ATS officers should be subjected to narco-analysis to establish their motives.

Lal Kishan Advani, BJP’s prime ministerial candidate had even demanded a change in the ATS and an enquiry into the torture accusations made by the accused. All the top leaders of the BJP-Shiv Sena - who swore by the Indian constitution - had no qualms in declaring full support to the perpetrators and even arranging legal support for them.

In a write-up - The Mumbai Terror Attacks: Need For A Thorough Investigation, R.H., 08 December, 2008 Educate ! Organize ! Agitate ! -- the author provides details of the inconsistencies in the reports about the killing.

“...The earliest reports, presumably relayed from the police via the media, said that Karkare had been killed at the Taj, and Salaskar and Kamte at Metro. If this was not true, why were we told this? And why was the story later changed? Was it because it conflicted with eyewitness accounts? Indeed, under the heading ‘ATS Chief Hemant Karkare Killed: His Last Pics’, IBNlive showed footage first of Karkare putting on a helmet and bullet-proof vest, and then a shootout at Metro, where an unconscious man who looks like Karkare and wearing the same light blue shirt and dark trousers (but without any blood on his shirt or the terrible wounds we saw on his face at his funeral) is being pulled into a car by two youths in saffron shirts...”

Is there a lead in this that newspapers should ideally follow? Or is it to be dismissed as wild rant of a few perennially disgruntled people? In which case how do we place the latest embarrassing question posed by Kavita Karkare?

DAWN.COM | Columnists | Mumbai probe fiasco: bad intelligence or poor media?

Karkare's wife slams state govt for not providing backup during 26/11

MUMBAI: Kavita Karkare, the wife of former Maharashtra Anti Terror Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare on Wednesday questioned the state government on

why her husband and two other senior officials who were killed on 26/11, did not get reinforcements on time. ( Watch Video )

This is for the first time that the slain officer's family has confirmed that he did not get the back up when it was required.

Karkare, along with Additional Commissioner of Police (ACP) Ashok Kamte and Inspector Vijay Salaskar were killed by terrorists near Cama Hospital in Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus during the Mumbai siege.

Speaking to the media, Kavita said: "I just didn't know anything in the initial six months, politicians, media people and other people were coming to my place, but I was not aware what exactly was going around. Nobody has ever told me that what exactly happened that day. No senior officers have told me till date what had happened with my husband. I have just gathered information from media people, or read in magazines and newspapers, till date I don't know the exact facts of that day."

"But when politicians started raising questions saying that he acted in very hasty manner and went for the operation blindly then we started gathering facts about the incident. Then, we came to know that Kamte, Karkare, Salaskar were planning strategy in Cama hospital for 40 minutes. They had asked for help, but they couldn't get help in those 40 minutes. Why they could not get help in 40 minutes, nobody is giving me that answer," she added. Kavita revealed that she was told by some police officials that it would not be possible for her to get to know what exactly happened with her husband during the terror attacks.

She also alleged that Hemant Karkare was left injured and unattended for over 40 minutes and not taken to the hospital on time.

"My question is that when these people were there in Cama Lane for 40 minutes, why were they not given any help? And, when there bodies were lying, why the bodies of those people were not picked for about 40 minutes," Kavita questioned.

"Today, they are spending millions of rupees to preserve the bodies of the nine militants who launched the attack, just because at international level we have to show that we are showing humanity. But the bodies of martyrs were lying there as it is. What is happening in our country? And when will there be a change," she added.

Earlier last week, Kavita also alleged that her husband's bulletproof jacket has gone missing.

She said when his body was found, the bulletproof jacket was missing and the Right to Information (RTI) application had not yielded any information on its whereabouts.
"And, after six months it struck me that his jacket is missing. But I was not in my senses to file RTI application. Now two months back when I filed RTI, I came to know that the jacket is actually missing," Kavita said.

Karkare's wife slams state govt for not providing backup during 26/11 - India - The Times of India

The state of Indian police is like typical of any third world nation police. Karkare was killed by terrorists this is the only truth nothing else.
It is an unfortunate fact that brave soldiers like karkare are still giving their precious lives and embracing martyrdom for motherland. These lives were supposed to be saved at times when a war was raised on the crowded streets of Mumbai. The chaos which created dysfunction and poor coordination was unprovoked and never expected. The whole karkare episode is sorry state of Indian defence preparations, fraud and frustration.
Karkare's prior investigations has nothing to do with his personal misfortune and poor judgment to analyse gravity of that war against urban India.
BJP and other Hindu organizations were nor in power at state assembly neither national assembly. It was never a cup of tea for parties like BJP to conspire against Top Police official like Kerkare at such level.
166 precious human lives were cold bloodedly snatched. People were killed while eating food in restaurants. Kids were shot at middle of their eyes. Dead bodies were used as mine traps. No national party in power or out power would have even thought about such political suicide. period.

Pakistanis those who are trying their level best to raise suspicion in the minds of everyone by pasting such article; explaining nothing but sorry state of Indian police and judiciary. This is not going to help to feel them self off the hook. You are playing with fire and setting unjust precedent for your own people, given the fact your own contemporary state of national security is not better then India.
Please tell us some thing new.

Last edited:
We are not trying to raise any suspicion. Rather Indians should ask questions about death of Karkare. There is alot to which is still missing.

The Mumbai attacks are separate then killing of Karkare.

And oh it is not some small case where police or Indian set up lost the bullet proof jacket.

It simply shows that Karkare was killed according to the plan.

We are not trying to raise any suspicion. Rather Indians should ask questions about death of Karkare. There is alot to which is still missing.

The Mumbai attacks are separate then killing of Karkare.

And oh it is not some small case where police or Indian set up lost the bullet proof jacket.

It simply shows that Karkare was killed according to the plan.

Precisely,Your assertions can not be ruled out.
But what ever i have explained above is natural and self explanatory. This is how Indian corrupt police and law enforcement system works. A wealthier supplier and a corrupt politician who ordred/purchased those jackets and earned heaps of corrupt money is now trying to alter evidence. Being an outsiders we all can suggest scenarios, to me this theory is much acceptable. Why he was not provided prompt medical aid etc. as i mentioned are testimonies to Indian dysfunctionality, nothing else. We(Indians) are bigger but not better.
Furthermore if Karkare was the only target who was killed within first two hours of attack then there was no point for those who were involved to continue rest of the massacre.

Last edited:
oh i missed your point mentioning both incidents as isolated/separate one.

Karkare was alerted about this attack and rest of the machinery was activated simultaneously. There is no record of two separate alerts on that day. Terrorists were in different groups with semiautomatic guns and many police parties were trying to intercept them. During those interceptions dozens of police personals were either killed or injured including Hemant Karkare.

Last edited:
If you were probing Mumbai attacks then missing of a vital gear worn by Karkare proves that You indians are playing foul here.

It proves two things

1. Either the bullet proof jacket was not a bullet proof jacket and Karkare was intentionaly provided something which was part of his killing.

2. If was indeed a real bullet-proof jacket then why you need to hide it ?

3. If it is missing then it shows the level of authenticity of Indian investigation.

All these things point towards a coverup which your Indian government is playing

Jana, Why this obsession with Hemant Karkare? He wasn't the only police office to be killed in the Mumbai attacks.

Is it your not so subtle way of hinting at a conspiracy behind Mumbai? There was no conspiracy.

Regrading the vests, according to an RTI filed by former police officers, defunct vests were brought by the Mumbai police. The story has all the hints of a scam. But not a conspiracy. No back up was provided to Karkare because the Mumbai police messed up in figuring out the scale of the attacks on the first day, many many mistakes were committed. In their defence however, there was a lot of conflicting info flying around during the first few hours.

SM Mushrif, the author of "Who Killed Karkare?" and former police chief of Maharashtra state, has raised some very serious questions about the role of the Indian intelligence in the increasing violence committed by Hindutva outfits against India's minorities, and how India's Intelligence Bureau diverts attention from it by falsely accusing Indian Muslims and Pakistan's ISI, as was done in Malegaon and Samjutha Express blasts.

Get it right, Samjautha express wasn't done by Hindu organizations, it was done by Lashkar. Read UN resolutions on this before posting ignorant info.

Apparently, some people think Karkare was killed because he ruffled too many feathers in the Hindu right establishment because of his investigations. If that were true, his investigations would have collapsed right after his death, it hasn't.

That traitor Purohit and other accused still face trial for the Malegaon bombings. Nor has anyone stopped investigating Hindu organizations as the recent find by the Goa police tells us.

There was no conspiracy during 26/11, anyone who believes that is delusional.

What a Post ? Still infatuated with TOI?

Whole India got confused Mumbai police did not know the gravity of situation, Kakare was accompanied by famed Mumbai police shooter Salaskar and Kamathe. But all were killed this happened because even they did not know the gravity of situation. Plus they were carrying pistols and small guns against AK47's used by terrorists.

The question asked by Ms Kakare is that why there was 40 minutes deay to respond. She questions that because her loss cannot be recovered.

Coordinating and getting directions from Central and authorities easily takes that much time. If it was possible then Maharstra police could have reduced the fatalites from 170+ innocent persons.

No need to score here.

Apparently, some people think Karkare was killed because he ruffled too many feathers in the Hindu right establishment because of his investigations. If that were true, his investigations would have collapsed right after his death, it hasn't.
They have been sweeped under the rug nonetheless. Is the killing of 3 people investigating right wing hindu terrorists within the first 15 minutes of the attack a mere coincidence? That's a better question to ask.

Furthermore if Karkare was the only target who was killed within first two hours of attack then there was no point for those who were involved to continue rest of the massacre.
If indeed it was right wing hindus who were behind this, then it would be a bloody suicide for them because it would be obvious as hell who was behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom