What's new

Mumbai Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pakistan must punish perpetrators of Mumbai terror: US experts (Lead)
February 10th, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS - Send to a friend:

Washington, Feb 10 (IANS) Pakistan must punish those involved in the Mumbai massacre while undercutting extremist propaganda that lays the groundwork for such incidents, say two US experts, even while advising India to address the shortfalls in its homeland security.

They have also suggested that India and the US should pursue a robust dialogue to share counter-terrorism strategies in the wake of Mumbai terror attack blamed on Pakistan based terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).

Much like the effects of 9/11 on the US, the Mumbai attacks have catalysed Indian efforts to adopt a more integrated and structured approach to homeland security, said Lisa Curtis and Jena Baker McNeill of the Heritage Foundation in a commentary.

Curtis is senior research fellow for South Asia in the Asian Studies Centre, and Jena Baker McNeill is policy analyst for Homeland Security in the Douglas and Sarah Allison Centre for Foreign Policy Studies at the conservative think tank.

The US and India alike should recognise the value of their shared experiences in the war on terrorism, they said, noting: “One of the most important aspects of terrorism prevention is undercutting the terrorists’ support base while denying terrorists access to money, training, and weapons.

“Additionally, counter-terrorism measures must disrupt terrorists’ ability to propagate their message, recruit new members, and network with cohorts and other supporters,” Curtis and McNeill said.

“Therefore, the most important measures that can be taken to prevent another Mumbai-like attack anywhere in the world is for Pakistan to punish those involved in the inspiration, planning, training, and equipping of the terrorists while proactively undercutting the extremist propaganda that led to the Mumbai massacre,” the experts said.

Pakistan has allowed the LeT to operate openly in the country since the early 1990s.

However, since the Mumbai massacre, Islamabad has raided key LeT training facilities, shut down several LeT offices throughout the country, arrested and detained key LeT members, and pledged to turn over administration of the LeT headquarters outside of Lahore to government authorities.

These are positive, albeit much belated, steps, the experts said. “But Islamabad must go further: It must prosecute individuals found to be involved in the Mumbai attacks and shut down LeT’s ability to sustain itself as a terrorist organisation.”

The Mumbai attacks were a wake-up call for India regarding the urgent need to address its homeland security shortfalls and to institute a more effective nationwide approach to countering terrorism, the experts said. There is much room to expand US-India cooperation on matters of intelligence and homeland security.
Pakistan must punish perpetrators of Mumbai terror: US experts (Lead)

Yes Pakistan will Punish them only if Indians will give us the Proofs so that we can present them in the courts where they are being prosecuted.

Send your Own Delegation which will present the Proofs if you don't Trust Pakistani Authorities. Now India has to Co-operate in order to bring these People to Book otherwise they will be made free because of Lack of Evidence and I think Indians are well aware of Court Proceedings.

The ball is in Indian Court Now, Enough of Blaming Pakistan, Authorities in Pakistan will soon Bring the culprits to Court. All the Court Proceedings will be shared with India if they want to .

likewise india should stop supportin terror in pakistan..

Not only Pakistan should punish the guilty, that if they are proven in the court, and not only Pakistan deprived the of all the access to money, training and most importantly bases.

This should not stop here. We all together also take away from terrorists the instances they use to attract young men in their fold, i.e Kashmir problem, Palestine problem,Chechnya problem, now you say why Chechnya, let me tell you why?

We have a world body and it discusses all matters pertaining to wars and other problems and than it passes a resolution pertaining to each and every problem, those resolution already passed are siting on shelves collecting dust, must be implemented in each and every case. in the case of Kashmir, in the case of Chechnya and in the case pf Palestine.and that my friend will take away the incentive used by thugs to continue to enlist young people.

We must also allow amnesty international to go to those troubled areas and allow them free access to investigate and report the findings and implement those without any delay or excuses.

Now let us see if any of the Indians on this forum will say about all of the above. this will test their sincerity and integrity of conviction to riding of terrorism, if however they have any ideas bring em on, but no games. this is a serious matter.

Last edited:
It is conceivable to me that the Mumbai perpetrators will be prosecuted, but the prospects seem dismal that there will be an accompanying change to Pakistan's terror-promoting culture. For even Dawn admits (in today's editorial) that for the prosecutions to succeed the evidence must come from abroad. The implication is that not only will information from Pakistani law enforcement not be used to prosecute, but that the information India provides will be used to create new, more effective, and less traceable terror attacks.

So thanks to rampant jihadism the rule of law has been subverted in Pakistan. No doubt the previously-existing culture of graft has been further enabled by this process, which weakens the faith of people in their democratic institutions even more. Is there any prospect in sight that Pakistan will turn the corner and rebuild its institutions, rather than set its population to take comfort by reveling in the destruction of others?

Yes, I also think we should eventually punish them, so where are the RAW agents??

It is conceivable to me that the Mumbai perpetrators will be prosecuted, but the prospects seem dismal that there will be an accompanying change to Pakistan's terror-promoting culture. For even Dawn admits (in today's editorial) that for the prosecutions to succeed the evidence must come from abroad. The implication is that not only will information from Pakistani law enforcement not be used to prosecute, but that the information India provides will be used to create new, more effective, and less traceable terror attacks.

So thanks to rampant jihadism the rule of law has been subverted in Pakistan. No doubt the previously-existing culture of graft has been further enabled by this process, which weakens the faith of people in their democratic institutions even more. Is there any prospect in sight that Pakistan will turn the corner and rebuild its institutions, rather than set its population to take comfort by reveling in the destruction of others?

Mr. Solomon, your name is great but what i read from uour post is that your wisdom is no way near the great Solomon.

let me jog your memory. it started in Afghanistan when Russia moved in. Pakistan was asked by U.S., its ally. to help rid of Russia, in doing so mujaheddin were created with the understanding and request of our allies, many of those were trained by CIA. and weapons coming from Egypt as they were Russian weapons so that Russians do not blame west for supplying weapons to Afghan freedom fighters.

Than Russia left and all war lords started in fights, than again our Ally asked us to help and we did, some students of Afghan camps were asked to ready themselves and they did and that is how Taliban started.

In their own wisdom they supported all Arab Mujaheddin who in turn attacked U.S, we were asked if we are with U.S or with others and we again joined U.S. so Pakistan was asked again and Pakistan not only disconnected with these guys, also started fighting them as asked by out ally.

The story of Afghanistan is that when British were here Afghan's fought them, after many fights a mutual agreed upon line was drawn called Durand line, was drawn under a pact for 99 years, dividing Pashtoons into Afghanistan and India at the time,

This line has never been accepted by Pashtoons so they have been going back and forth as if it is not there. and that is how they fought Russia and Pakistan and than Allies. this area is called Free territory as Pakistan has Agents who are there to safeguard the interests of Pakistan. and that is how it worked till now.

And they were the one talked to by Berziskty in the above video.

There is lot more, but i thought that i should let u know the history so that u could have some understanding of it and could start as one person living in U.S. to take this and spread the truth and educate media and the govt. we know what U.S. does in instances such as these, it works to create Democracy and not chaos and helps and not hinders progress of the common man. so we are deopending on you to spread the truth to help the truth come out in the open.

i live in one of the greatrest countries of our times and let me tell you i wish all acted the way Canada does, specially in the case of Quebec separatists, wonderful Canada. my hats off for you.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

There is lot more than this and i will write it if u like me to, but let us see what u have to say about all this.

Last edited by a moderator:
As J.R.R. Tolkein wrote, starting is too great a claim to be made by many. You say it started with the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. Other Pakistanis can point to the war and carnage of 1971, the kindling that ignited the war of 1965, attempts by Pakistani politicians to over-ride elections, the need to establish a role for the newly-formed Pakistani Army after its division in 1947, the Sepoy mutiny, assorted revolts of Hindu and Muslim slaves against Muslim potentates - you get the idea, don't you?

As J.R.R. Tolkein wrote, starting is too great a claim to be made by many. You say it started with the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. Other Pakistanis can point to the war and carnage of 1971, the kindling that ignited the war of 1965, attempts by Pakistani politicians to over-ride elections, the need to establish a role for the newly-formed Pakistani Army after its division in 1947, the Sepoy mutiny, assorted revolts of Hindu and Muslim slaves against Muslim potentates - you get the idea, don't you?
You are unfortunately brainwashed and think Pakistan and All Pakistanis are evil people who seprated from India just for corruption, jihadism.Trust me, we're not that evil and if you think these kind of issues don't exist in India then i think you should re read the history.
Thanks!

You are unfortunately brainwashed and think Pakistan and All Pakistanis are evil people who seprated from India just for corruption, jihadism.
Hardly, I grew up with Pakistani diplomats as neighbors, and my lab partner in college was a Pakistani. All nice people who despaired at the road their country was taking.

I note that your response doesn't refute a single word of what I'm saying, so maybe I have to be more clear: the point is that Pakistanis find it too easy to point the finger at others - either foreigners or other Pakistanis - rather than accept that they, themselves, individually have the primary role and responsibility for their own fate and that of their country.

Pakistanis were the attackers of Mumbai? It's up to India to prove it - Pakistani officials may know but will never tell, or else they'll be axed (at least) for doing so.

America supported the mujahids against the Russians? Fine, that's a license for unlimited graft and theft for the next hundred years by Pakistani government officials - if people complain, just point their fingers to the Americans. It's so much easier. What ordinary Pakistani would take a government official to court, anyway?

War between a newly-divided India? Blame the Brits and other Indians for something. It isn't our fault!

That kind of whining and greed and blaming others, I see that as Pakistan's story. (Jihad came later, not just to whip people up against the Russians but to preserve corruption by weakening the rule of law.)

Pakistan is not unique in such problems. South Korea was even worse, I think. The SKs got their act together starting in the 70s and have experienced fantastic economic growth since. But the key thing wasn't that much of the populace blamed the U.S. for its ills. Rather, it was the expectation that whether pro-American or anti-American, South Koreans expected their officials to take responsibility for their country's direction and the rule of law - or else the people would take over the streets en masse to demand it.

This is the sort of thing that is needed to keep democracy strong, and that's what's missing from Pakistan today. Demonstrations yes, elections yes, real prosecutions and voter rejections of corruption, no. When the police explain they are lying to the public about doing their duty by the order of their superiors, what better indication is there that the law remains in the hands of officials, not the people?

I told the truth to you and you start talking silly like other Indians, dude U. have started talking nonsense, and it is a no go. only tell you that u are either confused or have an agenda that does let you see the truth. Either wAy u r wrong.

u should learn "ANGER MANAGEMENT". it will do some good to you.

Myy deduction in the aforementioned post to you were based on Honesty and u have turned it into a silly baseless discussion, Go somewhere else with your silly thoughts, your little lies.

you are saying strange things as u r full of hate for Pakistanis and are blaming all Pakistanis for one guy, if he is what u guys tell me he is, as History goes your country has always lied to us and here u come to do even the worst and blame the whole country, dude U sir are an angry guy, taking your anger on all Pakistanis, u therefore should not be on this forum. dude.

Last edited:
Defence allocation up 35%

February 16, 2009 12:46 IST
Last Updated: February 16, 2009 13:42 IST

Considering the changed security scenario in view of the Mumbai terror attacks, the government on Monday allocated Rs 1,41,703 crore (Rs 1,417.03 billion) for defence sector, almost a 35 per cent increase from the previous year's budget provisions.

Last year's allocation for Defence stood at Rs 1,05,600 crore (Rs 1,056 billion) and the current increase amounted to Rs 36,103 crore (Rs 361.03 billion).

Presenting the Interim Budget for 2009-10 in the Lok Sabha, finance minister Pranab Mukherjee said the allocation has been increased because of the prevailing security environment, which has 'deteriorated considerably.'

Noting that the Mumbai attacks had amounted to the threshold being crossed on the security front, Mukherjee said, "We are going through tough times. The Mumbai terror attacks have given an entirely new dimension to cross-border terrorism."

With the total revised expenditure for Defence last year standing at Rs 1,14,600 crore (Rs 1,146 billion), he said the increased Plan expenditure for Defence this year would be Rs 86,879 crore (Rs 868.79 billion).

Last year's Plan expenditure was only Rs 73,600 crore (Rs 736 billion), thereby providing an increase of Rs 13,279 crore (Rs 132.79 billion) this year.

The increased allocation this year would include Rs 54,824 crore (Rs 548.24 billion) focapital expenditure as against Rs 41,000 crore (Rs 410 billion) in the revised estimates for 2008-09, Mukherjee said.

However, the government would provide for any additional requirement for the security of the nation, he added.

The increased allocation for defence assumes significance as the government has decided to go on fast track acquisition of defence equipment.

The armed forces have already prepared a long list of equipment, mainly for its special forces commandos, to be bought under the fast track process.

After the Mumbai attacks, the government has initiated a massive revamp of the security structure of the country, which includes creation of a Coastal Command.

http://www.rediff.com/money/2009/feb/16bud-defence-expenditure-to-be-increased-this-fiscal.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom