What's new

MRCA conteders narrowed to Eurofighter and Rafael: IAF

Reaction score

New fighters for Indian Air Force-News-Exclusives-TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

After exhaustive trials of six fighter jets, Indian Air Force (IAF) has made its choice clear to the Government on the kind of fighter jets needed. Frontrunners for the force are French fighter Dassault Rafale and the Eurofighter Typhoon built by the European consortium. Bernhard Gerwert, Chief, EADS, says “If you are taking into account the portfolio of EADS we can bring the bridge between civil aviation and military aviation.” But the Americans and Russians have lost out. Boeing’s F18 no longer a frontrunner and Sweden’s Gripen too falling off the Indian radar.

Despite MiG 35s big thunder, its engine failing to impress while the F-16, according to the IAF has no future. Another reason favouring Rafale and Eurofighter is political. Thomas Matussek, German Ambassador, “We regard India as a strategic security partner and this is why we do not insist on an end user monitoring agreement period.” So when the mother of all defence deals is signed for the 126 Multi-Role Combat Aircraft either Rafale or the Eurofighter will fly away with the Rs 42,000 crore deal.

Well that settles it, The Eurofighter is getting the deal.

^^^ I think report also mentioned F-18 is under reconsideration ..it was not shortlisted because of engine troubles...but we can't rule out rafael either.

Wow this settles it, I was telling this all along, my informers had same view. Now EF has edge over Rafael. India is looking to be partner in EF consortium. Good decision.

My god is this true?? But both are expensive fighters and without operational aesa?? Years of head breaking and the choice is out. I am really exhausted by now.

In my opinion this is also a classic example of point scoring Journalism...
BTW does anybody remember here that IAF was not supposed to give its choice. Instead they had to submit the analysis of the test results..And i doubt the TIMES NOW got its hand on the submitted report..

New fighters for Indian Air Force-News-Exclusives-TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

After exhaustive trials of six fighter jets, Indian Air Force (IAF) has made its choice clear to the Government on the kind of fighter jets needed. Frontrunners for the force are French fighter Dassault Rafale and the Eurofighter Typhoon built by the European consortium. Bernhard Gerwert, Chief, EADS, says “If you are taking into account the portfolio of EADS we can bring the bridge between civil aviation and military aviation.” But the Americans and Russians have lost out. Boeing’s F18 no longer a frontrunner and Sweden’s Gripen too falling off the Indian radar.

Despite MiG 35s big thunder, its engine failing to impress while the F-16, according to the IAF has no future. Another reason favouring Rafale and Eurofighter is political. Thomas Matussek, German Ambassador, “We regard India as a strategic security partner and this is why we do not insist on an end user monitoring agreement period.” So when the mother of all defence deals is signed for the 126 Multi-Role Combat Aircraft either Rafale or the Eurofighter will fly away with the Rs 42,000 crore deal.

Excellent find!

Interesting, are the notes that were mentioned below the pics of the fighters:
Decision on F18SH awaited due to engine issues!

Gripen lost due to inferior radar!

Mig 35 proved weak during trials!

This would confirm what Pepe (the Brazilian gentleman from the key forum) said before, that F18 and Mig 35 failed in the trials because of engine issues.
Also the doubts about radar performance of the Gripen were found in the Brazilian evaluation.

However, it would be surprising if only 2 contenders will be shortlisted, maybe the vendors will get time to improve their offers (Decision on F18 awaited!).

Can anybody say something about the reliability of the source?

Pressure tactis to bargain for F/A-18 Hornet.

Can this be really confirmed tht IAF has narrowed down on Rafale and EF :whistle:

Wow this settles it, I was telling this all along, my informers had same view. Now EF has edge over Rafael. India is looking to be partner in EF consortium. Good decision.

Can you explain why?

Pressure tactis to bargain for F/A-18 Hornet.

Possible, the media often will be used to direct such competitions into the right way (Dassaul out of MMRCA, Brazilian president openly says he prefers Rafale).

Back
Top Bottom