What's new

MQM says goodbye to PPPP

Prime Minister Gilani should resign, says Fazl

ISLAMABAD: Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-F (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman on Tuesday demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, compounding pressure on a coalition government shedding support.

Fazlur Rehman made the call just hours after the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), the main coalition partner of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), announced that it was quitting the federal cabinet, although would not join the opposition.

“The prime minister should resign and the PPP should appoint a new one,” Fazlur Rehman told reporters.

His own Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-F party walked out on December 14 after Gilani sacked one of its three cabinet ministers over a war of words with religious affairs minister Hamid Saeed Kazmi, a PPP member, who was also fired.

Their spat related to a corruption scandal reportedly implicating Kazmi’s ministry in booking accommodation for tens of thousands of Pakistani pilgrims.

“He (Gilani) has sabotaged the process of reconciliation among coalition partners and his actions have caused political instability in the country,” said Rehman.

“The government is under pressure and the president will have to take this step.”

The departure of JUI-F reduced the PPP’s coalition to 185 seats in the 342-member national assembly.

The MQM says it is withdrawing its two cabinet ministers over differences with the PPP, but has yet to join the opposition. The loss of its 25 lawmakers would leave the coalition in a parliamentary minority and could bring down the government.

Prime Minister Gilani should resign, says Fazl | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

so let me see 2 MINISTERS in the federal government is all that MQM has!!! and such big claims of "leaving the government" please all a drama and publicity stunt!!! if they are serious they should resign from provincial government!

as for GILLANI i feel his head has to roll inorder to "make way" for mulana and MQM to return!!

Bullshitt!

Every body wants to have their piece of cake in the name of saving democracy! Last i checked an "in-house" change is also a part of democratic system and mid-term elections too for that matter!

MQM is saying they will sit on treasury benches and step out from fedral ministries , Jis ka matlab no more ministries ... where do you see the cake ??

so let me see 2 MINISTERS in the federal government is all that MQM has!!! and such big claims of "leaving the government" please all a drama and publicity stunt!!! if they are serious they should resign from provincial government!

as for GILLANI i feel his head has to roll inorder to "make way" for mulana and MQM to return!!

fedral ministries in pakistan is like sitting on an ATM , Give me examples from history how many political leaders or parties have ever resigned from ministries who has done it ?? most are rather fired or they had to step down... no one does it on principles

fedral ministries in pakistan is like sitting on an ATM , Give me examples from history how many political leaders or parties have ever resigned from ministries who has done it ?? most are rather fired or they had to step down... no one does it on principles

:rofl: mulana did it!! does he also have principal?? and as for "principal" please don't give me principal bull when you yourself say the PPP did the operation against MQM in 92 and currently MQM "objects dictators" and yet sat with musharraf!!

and currently federal ministries are nothing compared to provincial ones! :wave:

as for RGST well the IMF has given a life line to the government! so currently its not the RGST. its all drama!

:rofl: mulana did it!! does he also have principal?? and as for "principal" please don't give me principal bull when you yourself say the PPP did the operation against MQM in 92 and currently MQM "objects dictators" and yet sat with musharraf!!

and currently federal ministries are nothing compared to provincial ones! :wave:

as for RGST well the IMF has given a life line to the government! so currently its not the RGST. its all drama!

which moulana ? fazlul rehman JUI ... do you know that his fed ministers were fired by the govt for hajj corruption thats why he resigned ""No more ministries were there for his party"" !!

As for operations yes PPP did went bonkers , they were all too excited hope you remember BB also claimed Taliban to be her children what happened later every one knows that the same Talibani snake bit her dead. Your memory is rather weak open my replies and i have mentioned under the circumstances after a decade of operation by military establishment and most importantly cuz of WOT , MQM has to shake hands with Musharaf.

i still hope this govt stay for the next 5 years ... MQM if wish to stay in fedral govt or move to treasury ... So all who want PPP govt to crash bacho bad news its not going to happen:wave:

'MQM is not quitting govt for the sake of democracy':chilli:

Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain said that the party had quit the federal cabinet, but was not quitting the government for the sake of democracy.
Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain said that the party had quit the federal cabinet, but was not quitting the government for the sake of democracy. Seats in the National Assembly. DESIGN : ANAM HALEEM MQM would review the situation whether the government does take any actions to sort-out the problems
KARACHI / ISLAMABAD:

Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain on Monday said that the party had quit the federal cabinet, but was not quitting the government for the sake of democracy.

Addressing MQM workers via telephone from London, the MQM chief said that the party had supported the government in difficult times and that President Asif Ali Zardari had made several promises, but failed to fulfill them.

Hussain also said that the federal cabinet was making decisions without consulting MQM ministers. He said that if the government was not willing to follow their advice, it should at least pay attention to their recommendations.

Responding to Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Nawaz Sharif’s allegations, the MQM chief said that Sharif should have a face-to-face debate with him on television.

Damage control

President Zardari formed a two member committee, including Interior Minister Rehman Malik and Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah, to address the reservations of the MQM. Rehman Malik arrived in Karachi late Monday night.

Zardari and Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani also called Sindh Governor Dr Ishrtaul Ibad and discussed the MQMs decision to quit the federal cabinet.

Updated from print edition (below)

Coalition in trouble: MQM ups the ante

The rumblings of political apocalypse for the government have started afresh, as a long-troubled but politically-pivotal relationship suffered a serious setback on Monday evening.

In a somewhat anticipated but major move, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement – the PPP-led coalition’s most important partner – announced that it will pull out from the federal government.

However, the break is not clean and complete – yet.

Though the MQM insists that they will not join the opposition and will continue to sit on the treasury benches, the move will pose a major challenge for the Pakistan Peoples Party, which is at serious risk of seeing a simple numerical majority vanish in the 342-seat house.

While no particular reason has been given by the MQM for the move, the decision, taken after a marathon four-hour meeting of the Rabita Committee in London and Karachi, comes in light of a fresh verbal assault on the party by Sindh Home Minister Zulfikar Mirza on Sunday.

A few weeks ago, the home minister had lashed out at the party, and there were fears that the MQM would pull out after a similar marathon session was held. Things seemed to have been calmed down after an MQM delegation met with the prime minister and president and were assured that they would take action on the matter. However, it wasn’t to be.

According to a statement issued by the party’s Nine Zero headquarters, a joint meeting of the MQM Rabita Committee was held in Karachi and London simultaneously on Monday that discussed MQM’s relationship with the government.

“Despite continual and repeated complaints from its ministers the Co-ordination Committee advised restraint and patience. After thorough deliberations the Rabita Committee has reached the conclusion that there is no point in retaining the ministries, in which proposals and recommendations for the welfare of the people are not only being ignored but also no proper response, was given,” it said.

Hinting at giving the government an opportunity for reconciliation, the statement said the meeting of the committee took complete stock of the complaints of the people as well and after careful discussion arrived at the conclusion that a chance should be given to the government to make amends and for the continuation of the democratic system in the country.

“We have decided to resign from cabinet. Dr Farooq Sattar and Babar Khan Ghauri, both our ministers, will submit their resignations to the prime minister as soon as they return from London,” Haider Abbas Rizvi, the deputy parliamentary leader of the MQM in the National Assembly, confirmed to The Express Tribune.

He confirmed that the party will still sit on treasury benches and continue to work in the coalition government in Sindh. However, he stressed that the decision was not based on any one issue.

“We are giving them (PPP) time before making any final decision of sitting on opposition benches,” he said, adding that his party has already expressed its reservations over a number of issues and had given the government ultimatum to improve the situation.

Rabita Committee member Wasay Jalil hinted that the party had already planned its next moves. “There is a step by step process by which we’ll decide whether to sit in the opposition benches, part ways in Sindh and what to do in the provincial assembly,” Jalil said.

Jalil said the committee would be meeting again tomorrow at 5pm.

The government, on its part, seems to be hoping that the MQM reverses its decision. The President’s trouble-shooter Rehman Malik has once again been assigned the task to ensure that the matter is resolved.

Also, president Zardari’s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar said that no prior information about MQM’s decision was given to the PPP. “We ourselves heard about it through media reports,” he said, adding that reports that an MQM delegation met Rehman Malik earlier today were false. “He did not meet anyone and left Naudero for Islamabad at around 5pm.”

Babar said that the entire MQM development was a ‘storm in a teacup’ and expressed the hope that the MQM would reconsider its decision. “The president has already outlined his policy of reconciliation and I’m very hopeful that all issues with our coalition partner will be sorted out soon.”

Babar said the president would be arriving in Karachi early morning on Tuesday “as scheduled.” This is not the first time that the MQM has done this, he says. “Ups and downs with coalition partners are part and parcel of politics and I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.”

The two larger parties in the centre, the Nawaz Sharif-led PML-N and the PML-Q, with over 90 and 50 seats each respectively in the National Assembly, reacted cautiously on the MQM’s decision.

PML-N information secretary Ahsan Iqbal when contacted said that MQM is still part of the government as it had not announced to sit on opposition benches. He said unless a clearer picture is visible, it will be premature to comment on the future strategy of his party.

When asked would his party go for midterm polls in case the PPP loses majority or would it support the government, he said “let the things get clear. Midterm polls are also part of the democratic process. Our first priority has been that the PPP should improve its governance”.

On the other hand, with the MQM’s possible exit, the PML-Q gains immense importance as it would give the PPP the needed numbers to stay afloat. Kamil Ali Agha, information secretary of PML-Q, also did not give any clear answer, saying that his party wants a continuation of the system but would not become part of the government. When asked to respond in categorical terms if his party would extend support to the PPP in case it loses simple majority in the centre, he said “PML-N has already signed a deal with the PPP. They will not require anyone else’s support. Nawaz Sharif has given them an undertaking”.

Currently, the PPP enjoys the support of ANP, which has 13 seats, PML-F, which has five seats, and the independent candidates that have 17 seats.

Published in The Express Tribune, December 28th, 2010.

All political parties strive for coming into power to achieve goals set in their manifesto. So there is no point in sitting on treasury benches without ministries, imo this is pure pressure tactics. MQM will ask for more/ important ministries and funds for Karachi because if MQM too leaves treasury, PPPP will be left with 152 seats, whereas they need minimum 172. Option for PPPP would be to get support of PML(N) or (Q) or go down to knees and accept terms of MQM and JUI(F).
Definitely PML(Q) will not join PPPP due to difference of opinion within themselves and mainly due to fear of split, in this case purpose of PPPP will not be resolved but PML (N) will love this situation.
If PML(N) comes to support, they will again stay out of cabinet. PML(N) will propagate themselves to be champion of democracy and will keep twisting PPPP government. So again win for PML(N).
Best option for PPPP will be to somehow get MQM and JUI (F) back but will have to lick its own spit by giving important ministries and may be home department of Sindh too. I don't know about JUI but it will be win for MQM if they go back to government or otherwise.

The most interesting thing in this game is PML(N) and MQM firing 155mm guns on each other whereas both have differences with PPPP. :woot:

'MQM is not quitting govt for the sake of democracy':chilli:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PML(N) also says same but both are pounding each other.

All parties should be thankful to God that Kayani is Army chief. Had it been someone else, he would have kicked on the haunches of politicians and a new meray aziz humwatno program would have started by now.

Allah bless us all
:pakistan:

It was not a question of 'if' but a question of 'when' MQM was going to quit this govt. Heck, with MQM ever-increasing demands, even a govt. of angels would be made to feel MQM's heat.
MQM was instrumental in making a deal between BB and Musharraf. Then again MQM ensured Musharraf's graceful exit by making a political alliance with PPP.

But MQM is ruled by the biggest fascist in Pakistan's history. I am convinced that the mafia leader of MQM sitting in London stays drunk a lot of time and directs policies--both hot and cold--depending on his mood. By now his demands are getting too much to bear. This is a repeat of the post-1988 elections--remember how MQM stabbed BB in the back?.

I would say Zardari will only let MQM go if Zardari finally decides to wrap up the PPP govt. and call fresh elections. On the other hand, Nawaz Sharif is the most likely leader of Pakistan and he is in some kind of 'principled' mode for past few years and he and Imran Khan are likely to take MQM to task after PPP exits.

Will MQM push too far this time?

oh wonderful news!

more political games, more political drama

the issues facing the down-trodden as well as other major issues remain untouched

good work to those ''serving'' this country

it happens in every country of south Asia. not new in that, who care about country....

oh wonderful news!

more political games, more political drama

the issues facing the down-trodden as well as other major issues remain untouched

good work to those ''serving'' this country

Pressure tactics.

One wonders after these people failed in their claims that Army is removing the Govt these so-called democrats are trying hard to topple a democratic government.

This is true face of these people.

Jana -- i can assure you one thing. If there is to be another coup, it wont be plotted in GHQ.

these old fart civilians who keep re-appearing over and over again are capable themself to do all the destabilizing activities.....

well put bluntly, best solution I could come up with is to roll them all up in a carpet and throw them off a bridge! :):)

Back
Top Bottom