What's new

Movies to watch out for, From Pakistan!

to phr ary kyun promo laga rha tha confused :undecided:
Bhai ary movies and ary made in pakistan are two different things
ARYMIP is more or less similar to T-series where you can find legal Pakistani content from different channels and production companies

yar yeah bandi bhi koi shadid cute hay:smitten:chaki
Why-my-toddler-keeps-biting-all-the-time.jpg
Oh kaka @The Sandman enu phar ey tey wadan no penda ey
Eda ek hi elaj ae
aad982dc-acb5-4d45-b3ec-bc467c774447_1.64d5b581282bf7910283b1216a626566.jpeg

Bhai ary movies and ary made in pakistan are two different things
ARYMIP is more or less similar to T-series where you can find legal Pakistani content from different channels and production companies
dasso mein smjhta rha NMA2 ary ki hai :/

Mohsin Abbas Haider opens up about his new bod, hectic film promotions and his love for the character Moon

The sequel of 2014's hit action-comedy will follow the same trio — Javed Sheikh, Fahad Mustafa and Mohsin Abbas Haider — as they pursue a new get-quick-rich scheme, this time in Cape Town!

Images: Is your character Moon any different in Na Maloom Afraad 2?

Mohsin: Na Maloom Afraad's Moon was very loud... he was kind of larger-of-life. He also wasn't very good-looking or well-groomed. But, in the sequel, Moon's got more exposure, he's been abroad, so you'll see that he's well-spoken and better behaved. Appearance-wise, he'll look like quite the cool dude!

Images: You've worked quite a bit on your physique lately. Was it just for this role?
Mohsin: I've always worked out to stay in shape, but my recent six-pack has surprised me too! When I found out that I'd have to be shirtless for a beach song in NMA 2, I knew I had to up my game. I followed a proper diet plan and trained under Shabbir Ahmed Khan in Lahore who is behind my transformation in just 1.5 months.

599e78ac30d0a.png

Mohsin Abbas Haider, Javed Sheikh and Fahad Mustafa

It was really tough, not glamourous like they show in the movies. When we shot the song, Fahad and I could only sip water despite running about in the sun. It was worth it in the end, I believe.

Images: Na Maloom Afraad is big on comedy and action, but there's some social commentary between the lines. Is there a lesson you hope your character gives to the audience?

Mohsin: I think you'll agree that NMA isn't exactly a serious film, but yeah, between the lines, we do try to give a message. Na Maloom Afraad was a bit of a political satire and the sequel is no different. Fahad makes some very incisive comments about the rich and poor in the film, so watch out for those.

As for me, if you look at Moon's journey from a poor musician in Faisalabad to much better financial conditions in South Africa, his life embodies the 'never give up' motto quite well. I think that's a message given out in a comic way through my character.

599c15c539218.jpg

Mohsin with co-actors Fahad Mustafa and Javed Sheikh

Images: Let's talk about film promotions — how crazy has it been? Do you get to spend time with your family at all?

Mohsin: Film promotions are more hectic than a film's shoot [laughs]. We're travelling all the time, we have to drop by at several different locations in the span of a day, etc. Throughout NMA 2 promotions, the only time I saw family was when I was in Faisalabad... I had to pick up some stuff from my place and the whole team had dinner there. That was it. I haven't seen them since!

I'm grateful to my wife, sisters, khala and all my family members who live with me but don't see me for long periods of time. I love them for cooperating with me, even when my absence gets frustrating for them.

599d76cec429b.jpg

A very pumped Mohsin with the rest of NMA2 crew during promotions

Mohsin: I just like Moon. He's a hyperactive Punjabi who tries to gel in every situation, he's always in a rush and has a big imagination. His life is so crazy and tumultuous and happening. Everything is just so fun when I'm Moon!

Images: Sounds like you're ready to play Moon in NMA 3 too. Do you think that will happen?
Mohsin: We get asked this a lot. The director [Nabeel Qureshi] and producer [Fizza Meerza] feel that NMA is a franchise that they can run with.

NMA was a hit, if NMA 2 is also successful, then we'll surely work on NMA 3 as well.

Images: What's next for Mohsin Abbas Haider? Any interesting TV projects, films scripts that have come your way?

Mohsin: I'm next doing a drama serial titled Miraas with director Ali Hassan.

In Pagli, Hira Mani will play a woman suffering from a memory disorder

The upcoming show stars Asim Azhar, Hina Altaf and Noor Hassan to name a few

599fd1bcae9d7.jpg

The upcoming show stars Asim Azhar, Hina Altaf and Noor Hassan to name a few

HUM TV's next, Pagli is all set to hit screens in the coming week.

Starring Hira Mani, Asim Azhar, Hina Altaf, Noor Hassan and Mahmood Aslam, the show will revolve around a girl who suffers from a mild mental disorder.

Speaking to Images, Hira revealed: "Her disorder is such that she loses her memory all of a sudden and she leaves her house, something she does 2-3 times in the show. She's very intelligent, with a quick wit. Woh pooray ghar ko le kar chalti hai. The house she goes to after leaving her own belongs to a psychiatrist, Dr. Khalid (Noor). Even when she's there, she lives there like she owns it; she's that confident."

Expanding more on the plot, she shared, "Now Dr. Khalid has a fiancé, Zubi (Hina) - she breaks them [their relationship] apart and gets the doctor to fall for her."

And then there's a twist. "Asim will be playing my fiancé, who I end up kicking to the curb and try to pair him up with Zubi instead. So whatever she [Hira's character] wants, she gets. It's a very different project. All the characters are really spontaneous, there's good humour. Rona dhona bhi hai but there's comic relief."

"When you watch the show, you'll think of Ankahi. I'm like Shehnaz Sheikh from that [drama] in Pagli. It's not one of those typical saas bahu projects."

Hira and Asim will be featured in the OST and she promises it'll be worth a listen.

"This has been a hard project because it's very expression-driven. She's [Hira's character] crazy and she has to make it seem like she isn't," adds the actress.

When we reached out to Asim Azhar to give us the lowdown on his character, he said, "The character I'm playing enjoys poetry and believes in old-school romance. He is a slightly older guy, simple and perhaps, too honest for his own good."

"Between me and Mehmood Aslam sahab, our characters are always trying to one-up each other. I learned a lot from him; I think our scenes exude great energy and chemistry, something to watch out for!"

Pagli has been directed by Ali Masood and is based on a Shaukat Thanvi novel. The show will air Aug 28.

Will Na Maloom Afraad 2 have an unfair advantage at the box office this weekend?

"I do think it's unfair," said Humayun Saeed of unequal distribution of showtimes between NMA2 and Punjab Nahi Jaungi

59a67856d1298.png

Nadeem Mandviwalla of Atrium cinemas believes that Eid releases are "a bad strategy" altogether.

Eid attracts filmmakers like moths to a flame; producers vie to draw audiences to their films during the lucrative holiday and this year is no different.

While Pakistanis were spoiled for choice on Eid ul Azha last year, this year cinema-goers get to choose between only two local films: Punjab Nahi Jaungi and Na Maloom Afraad 2.

Punjab Nahi Jaungi, which stars Humayun Saeed, Mehwish Hayat and Urwa Hocane in lead roles, is a romantic comedy that revolves around a love triangle and more. Na Maloom Afraad 2 is a slapstick comedy starring Fahad Mustafa, Javed Sheikh, Mohsin Abbas Haider, Hania Amir and Urwa Hocane.

There's no denying that both films feature the industry's heavyweights and are crowd-pullers, but which film will people flock to most... or is that choice even in the public's hands?

A look at Cinepax's Eid schedule and onward reveals that NMA2 will feature on more screens than PNJ on opening day. Although Mohsin Yaseen of Cinepax refused to comment on the disparity between the allocation of the two films, he did say that "Cinepax's show timings are based on the duration and length of the film, as well as the public demand and box office numbers."

"Eid clashes generally depend on the film, if the film is a hit it'll do well, otherwise it won't," he said.

He clarified that the current show timings are tentative and the number of screens distributed among each may see a shift in the future according to public demand.

59a676facd91a.jpg

Punjab Nahi Jaungi and Na Maloom Afraad 2 share a similar duration, the former running a few minutes longer.

Nueplex's schedule for Eid and the days following corresponds with Cinepax's, but with double the shows for NMA2 as compared to PNJ.

In this context, it is extremely relevant to note that NMA 2 has been co-produced by Excellency Films, a production company owned by Cinepax, Nueplex as well as CineStar cinemas.

Nueplex was not available for a comment on the matter, but Na Maloom Afraad 2 director Nabeel Qureshi had echoed Mohsin's belief prior to the cinemas' Eid schedule release: that the number of screens don't matter as cinemas replace them with films that fare better.

However, Punjab Nahi Jaungi star Humayun Saeed, aware of the allotted screen timings, said, "I think that both movies are going to be good and both have been made with considerable effort. Both should, therefore, be given an equal chance. Let's see what happens but at the moment I do think that it is unfair."

59a6778be055e.jpg

The unfair advantage may seem glaringly obvious but Nadeem Mandviwalla of Atrium cinemas believes that Eid releases are "a bad strategy" altogether.

"Films which have a good public perception should not be released on the same date as we do not have a big market that'll allow those films to do well at the same time," he stressed. "The cinemas will divide the shows automatically and that is not going to be good for either of the films."

"If Eid films are doing well and collecting Rs 30-40 crore [altogether], the money will divide between the two."

Giving an example of his cinema, where both films have been given relatively equal screen time, he explained, "The two films have the same public perception, so the public will come out as is but the five shows will be divided for each film. Automatically they [films] cannot go over Rs 3-4 crore in the first weekend [of their Eid collection], and if the initial is that low then the whole run will be lower."

59a676fb0f249.jpg

Commenting on the screen time variance between NMA2 and PNJ in the other two Karachi cinemas, Mandviwalla (who also owns film distribution company, Mandviwalla Entertainment) said, "It's natural but not fair. At the moment the exhibitors have the biggest responsibility in rebuilding the [film] industry because they remain the ONLY source of revenue for any producer. Thus, it becomes imperative to remain fair."

He weighs in on which of the two will fare better at the box office:

Na Maloom Afraad 2 will do well short term as "the reports we're hearing is that it's an average entertainer, on the other hand, Punjab Nahi Jaungiwill do well long term as "people who have seen it are saying it's a good film, and as it's a love story families will come out to watch it."

He added, "On Eid days there is a different kind of a public that comes [to the cinemas] and it's not the family-oriented public, so initially NMA2might have an edge but that will not remain there very long. If both films do well during the first week, their collection during the second week will also be divided."

"In my opinion, both will lose," stated Mandviwalla.

'Punjab Nahi Jaungi' review: Simply put, it is a Mehwish Hayat film

By Rahul Aijaz

1494869-onj-1504083989-817-640x480.jpg

KARACHI : “Story is king” is the most common yet the most imperative advice given in the film-making world. No amount of technical expertise, glitter and glamour, star power or grandiose sets could ever salvage a bad script. And perhaps Nadeem Beyg is one of the few local film-makers who understands that notion and his latest film Punjab Nahi Jaungi is a testament to that.

Tuesday night, I walked into the cinema hall with mixed expectations. The stars studded the red carpet at the premiere of Humayun Saeed and Mehwish Hayat-starrer Punjab Nahi Jaungi and deep down, I was afraid: What if this film would just be another mindless, tasteless entertainment with nothing to take away home, and catering to the lowest common denominator?

The track record this year certainly pointed in that direction. But the hesitation went away as soon as the film began. And by the time it ended, I found myself among the hundreds of others cheering and applauding.

The film starts with Fawad (Saeed) returning to Faisalabad after acquiring an MA degree to a huge celebration from the family. Meanwhile, Amal (Hayat) returns to Karachi after studying in London. While his cousin Durdana (Urwa Hocane) is in love with him, Fawad has been in search for his ‘Heer’ since returning and after Fawad’s mother sends him a photo of Amal, he falls in love with her. This sets the ground for romance, conflicts and a tonne of drama over the next two hours and 40 minutes.

Khalilur Rehman Qamar’s contribution to the film cannot be overstated. His command over language and dialogue is unparalleled and it takes the film to the next level. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself quoting the film’s dialogues for the weeks to come. Granted, the story starts too early. The first half is mostly an entertaining setup for the intense drama to unfold in the second half, which makes it feel like a drag by the end.

The logic and reasoning for some of the basic motivations of characters is flawed and one couldn’t ignore the unfinished arc of Hocane’s character and therefore, the screenplay could have been tighter. Yet, Qamar keeps the story engaging and hits almost all the right notes.

His dealing with larger issues at hand in the country – divorce, discrimination and divisions based on language differences, and women’s respect, subtly is extraordinary. Amal standing up to a feudal, patriarchal mindset makes it as much of a feminist film as it should not be labelled one.

Yet, after all this, Punjab Nahi Jaungi’s biggest strength is not the script, but Hayat. Once a bit skeptical, her presence and star power and grace has grown on me over the years. She swans her way through an effortless performance, natural poise and can turn the heat up in a moment whenever needed in a scene, like not many other actresses can.

Simply put, Punjab Nahi Jaungi is Hayat’s film and I couldn’t imagine any other local actress playing Amal’s character as well as her. And I hope this paves the way for Hayat being able to carry a film all by herself in the future because she certainly has the potential.

Saeed excels too. Telling you his performance (of a flawed character) was in fact flawless would be like telling you, “This chocolate cake tastes amazing,” because of course, it does. Hocane comes off as the Petyr Baelish of Punjab Nahi Jaungi – annoying, manipulative and you totally want her dead. I only wish more could’ve been done with her character. Another not-so-surprising elements comes in the form of Ahmed Ali Butt, who plays Fawad’s friend Shafiq Ahmed.

The item boy of Pakistani cinema steals every scene he appears in. Yet he doesn’t hog the spotlight and keeps space and only elevates the scene with his presence – be it comedy or somber.

Punjab Nahi Jaungi walks a fine line (in terms of story) between turning ridiculous and falling over, yet it somehow manages to keep its balance and not trip often, thanks to Beyg’s flawless direction. With excellent production and visuals, some memorable songs, top-notch performances by the lead and supporting cast, and a great entertainment value, Punjab Nahi Jaungi hits sixers and fours on all fronts. I must admit this might possibly be the only local film which I can watch over and over.

Verdict: Possibly the best film of the year so far, Punjab Nahi Jaungi is a must-watch that will revive your dwindling faith in Pakistani cinema. Don’t miss out on this family entertainer… not for Pakistan cinema’s sake, but for your own!

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Mahira Khan shares first look from her upcoming movie 'Verna'

1496742-mahira-1504263978-678-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: MAHIRA KHAN/TWITTER

After her huge Bollywood debut opposite the King Khan himself, Mahira Khan readies for her upcoming Pakistani movies, Fawad Khan and Hamza Ali starrer, Maula Jatt 2 and Shoaib Mansoor helmed, Verna.

However, this is not the first time the Raees star will be sharing a project with Mansoor as she also starred in critically acclaimed Bol alongside Atif Aslam and Humaima Malick.

The starlet is quite active on social media and frequently does #AskMahira sessions to interact with her fans. And this time, it was long overdue!

Finally, the Humsafar actor took to Twitter to keep good on her promise as she chatted with the fans and revealed a huge detail regarding Verna!

Mahira took to Twitter to share the first look of her upcoming movie which also marks the debut of Coke Studio sensation, Haroon Shahid.

And fans are loving it!

DIojTmpWAAAils_.jpg

امعلوم افرادٹو۔ یواے ای میں نمائش کی اجازت نہ مل سکی

ڈائریکٹرنبیل قریشی کی فلم’’نامعلوم افراد ٹو‘‘کو یواے ای میں نمائش کی اجازت نہیں ملی۔ یہ فلم کل یو اے ای میں ریلیز ہونی تھی لیکن وہاں کے سنسر بورڈ نے فلم دیکھ کر معاملہ نیشنل میڈیا کونسل کو بھجوایا ہوا ہے جہاں سے کلیئرنس ملنے کے بعد ہی فلم کو ریلیز کی اجازت دی جائے گی۔

ذرائع کا کہنا ہے کہ فلم میں اداکاراﺅں کی جانب سے زیب تن کیے جانے والے فحش لباس، فلم میں عربوں کا اڑایا جانے والا مذاق اور انتہائی گھٹیا جملے بازی وہ وجوہات ہیں جن کی وجہ سے فلم کو مشکلات کا سامنا ہے۔ڈائریکٹر، پروڈیوسر اور فلم کی کاسٹ دبئی گئی تھی تاکہ وہاں تشہیری تقریبات میں حصہ لیا جا سکے لیکن سنسر بورڈ کے فیصلے کے باعث یہ ایونٹس منسوخ کردیے گئے۔

اردو ون فلم ڈویژن کے یوسف شارق کا کہنا ہے کہ یو اے ای کے سینسر بورڈ کی طرف سے فلم ریلیز کرنے کی اجازت نہیں دی جا رہی ، ہو سکتا ہے کہ کچھ قطع و برید کے بعد فلم ریلیز کرنے کی اجازت دے دی جائے، ’ فلم سے متعلقہ 7 لوگ دبئی آئے ہیں لیکن ہم نہیں چاہتے کہ انہیں کسی قسم کی مشکلات کا سامنا کرنا پڑے‘۔
21192372_658033031066002_8471111387293114511_n.jpg

59a676fb0f249.jpg

Commenting on the screen time variance between NMA2 and PNJ in the other two Karachi cinemas, Mandviwalla (who also owns film distribution company, Mandviwalla Entertainment) said, "It's natural but not fair. At the moment the exhibitors have the biggest responsibility in rebuilding the [film] industry because they remain the ONLY source of revenue for any producer. Thus, it becomes imperative to remain fair."

He weighs in on which of the two will fare better at the box office:

Na Maloom Afraad 2 will do well short term as "the reports we're hearing is that it's an average entertainer, on the other hand, Punjab Nahi Jaungiwill do well long term as "people who have seen it are saying it's a good film, and as it's a love story families will come out to watch it."

He added, "On Eid days there is a different kind of a public that comes [to the cinemas] and it's not the family-oriented public, so initially NMA2might have an edge but that will not remain there very long. If both films do well during the first week, their collection during the second week will also be divided."

"In my opinion, both will lose," stated Mandviwalla.
dono luggarr. cheapu kahin k. opar se kojay v.

Punjab Nahi Jaungi and Na Maloom Afraad 2 worldwide release gets coverage on BBC News

Pakistani cinema has been trying to revive itself since the past decade and now it seems, the industry is gradually and certainly succeeding in its efforts. Today, two major Pakistani films namely Na Maloom Afraad 2 and Punjab Nahi Jaungi get released in cinemas across the world and as it seems, its not only Pakistan that's excited but the world as well. And we have news to prove it.

BBC News recently gave coverage to the release of the aforementioned Pakistani films and it proves the world is now recognizing the successful revival of Pakistani cinema.

The news stated the number of films being made had increased tenfold and it was a pleasure to hear how Pakistani films with production values at par with India's most lucrative Bollywood industry, were releasing globally today.

Talented Pakistanis with resources are now foraying into the film industry, willing to invest and bring better technology on the forefront and this certainly has increased Pakistan's film outcome with better quality and engaging subject matter.

As Fizza Ali Meerza, producer of Na Maloom Afraad 2 said on BBC News,

"The year when we produced Na Maloom Afraad, it was maybe one of the three films happened to be on the floors. It then grew by the year and right now we have 40 -45 films in process"

Its great to notice directors and producers are now willing to experiment with subject choices and focus on entertainment. Fahad Mustafa also stated how the industry was focusing on lighthearted and entertaining subjects to bring more to the audience.

"People will decide which films they want to watch. You have to make films which the audiences will pick as they want to have fun and laugh. It shouldn't be too intense. Why do we keep on bringing the saddest image of Pakistan and for how long will we do that?"

Punjab Nahi Jaungi and Na Maloom Afraad 2 both explore different genres. One is a romantic movie while the other happens to be an out and out comedy, but the fact that both these movies have been produced with high quality production values, we're quite impressed with the outcome of the industry this Eid and hope for an even better future.

Back
Top Bottom