What's new

Most racist countries in the world - Map

It's very hard to comment on this study without knowing the methods of their survey. How big was the sample size? Where were those people from? What was their educational qualification? What was their economic background? There are just too many variables. In a country like India changing any of these variables can give you completely different results. I am really curious to know more about this. I am counting on @Roybot to find out more. :D

:lol:

Here you go.

For India (Survey was done in 2006)
World Values Survey

For Bangladesh and Pakistan (Survey done in 2001-2002)
World Values Survey

Interesting update on WP website. As I was saying, its all about conditioning and trying to be politically correct.

Update: I’ve heard some version of one question from an overwhelming number of readers: “I’ve met lots of Indians and Americans and found the former more racially tolerant than the latter. How can these results possibly be correct?” I’d suggest three possible explanations for this, some combination of which may or may not be true. First, both India and the U.S. are enormous countries; anecdotal interactions are not representative of the whole, particularly given that people who are wealthy enough to travel internationally may be likely to encounter some subsets of these respective populations more than others.

Second, the survey question gets to internal, personal preferences; what the respondents want. One person’s experiences hanging out with Americans or Indians, in addition to being anecdotal, only tell you about their outward behavior. Both of those ways of observing racial attitudes might suggest something about racial tolerance, but they’re different indicators that measure different things, which could help explain how one might contradict the other.

Third, the survey question is a way of judging racial tolerance but, like many social science metrics, is indirect and imperfect. I cited the hypothetical about Swedes and Finns at the top of this post, noting that perhaps some people are just more honest about their racial tolerance than others. It’s entirely possible that we’re seeing some version of this effect in the U.S.-India comparison; maybe, for example, Americans are conditioned by their education and media to keep these sorts of racial preferences private, i.e. to lie about them on surveys, in a way that Indians might not be. That difference would be interesting in itself, but alas there is no survey question for honesty.

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't get his coin talking about Bangladesh, don't you get that? Stop bothering him. ;)

i know, but i can not say Indian as most racist according to the source because if i do then i am giving creditability to the source which means Bangladeshis are most racist too where BD ranks above India, he needs to understand that :P

WTF!! The "Untouchables" are not defined by their skin tone!!

It really seems like a joke to claim that we are not a racist country. Just a cursory glance at the Classifieds columns in any newspaper will show us our obsession with fair skin. Recently, a mainstream paper carried a story about a Manipuri woman being raped by an ‘African'. The responses to the article were frighteningly racist, about ‘Africans' as drug peddlers, criminals and rapists. Nationals of various African countries face a hellish time in India's metros too. Try asking them how they have to struggle to rent accommodation in Delhi. Or how they deal with open abuse and ridicule on the streets, in the university, everywhere. So much of anti-Dalit discrimination is on the basis of skin colour. It is the dark-skinned who face the brunt of the most obvious abuse. Fair-skinned Dalits are accused of not being Dalit, of faking it. We are one of the few obnoxious countries who openly advertise fairness creams and top film stars endorse these products. These should be banned by the law and they are not. Do we really have the gall to claim that we are not a racist country?

Mr. Yengkhom's point about the law, on which he ends, perhaps needs to be rethought. It does not seem viable to think in terms of extralegal solutions to the race problem. It is only through the law that norms can be enforced precisely because of the insidious and everyday nature of racism. That cannot be countered in terms of the everyday because that sort of countering demands a sensitive public and collective effort which is far from the reality in our spaces. Law is the only form of public humiliation to which we can take recourse to bell the cat on the question of racism.

Mr. Yengkhom's article unfortunately reasserts an Us and Them equation when dealing with racism. The fact is that Northeasterners from all eight States are racist themselves. Recently, an Arunachali student was explaining to me the name for a waiter from her tribe. It had an appellation attached to it that had to do with his darker skin which is what he was constantly reminded of through it being attached to his name. The caste Hindu Assamese have a rough coir mat on which they wipe their feet they call the Naga mat because that's what they think of the Nagas. The Meiteis of Manipur have a term, ‘mayang', for mainland Indians and it is a term of derision and abuse. They are viciously racist about the non-Hindu tribes (Naga and several others) in the State. The examples can be multiplied. The point is simply this: we cannot afford to only point the racist finger at others. Several fingers are pointing back at us.

It is understandable that Mr. Yengkhom is making a point about institutionalised racism. But he is wrong to think it is difficult to prove. On the contrary, it is in this country rather too easy to prove because Indians are obnoxious enough not to even want to hide it. It is very clear to see both the institutionalised and the everyday forms of it: the racial profiling and the sneer, the look, the tone. What is missing is a strict set of laws to immediately book such behaviour even if it is from the state.

Racism is not an invisible wound at all. It is one of the most visible wounds on the face of India. Mr. Yengkhom's own examples bear this out whether it is the codes on dress and food sought to be enforced by the Delhi police in 2007 or the panic around the Tibetans. We do not have strict laws on race as we do on anti-Dalit discrimination in the form of the anti-Dalit Atrocities Act for example, and that is what we need around race and sexuality and other forms of very evident but unacknowledged discrimination. There is no need to make these forms of discrimination present; they are very evidently present.

We have a long history of proving our racism (remember Indian audiences objecting to Peter Brooks' dramatic version of Mahabharata having a black Kunti?) and there is obvious racism around us every day and every moment of our lives. Only the law can prevent this. It is akin to the political correctness codes in the U.S. Only the right wing object to these codes. They ensure civil behaviour in society. We do not need to know what obnoxious thoughts people think about us. We are happy to have them stay in the heads of those people. That's all. As for the institutional struggle in cases of outrageous and extreme violence, once again, it is only the law that can save us.

The currently fashionable rejection of the law can only come with fully politicised subjects who have support mechanisms outside of the law. For most of us, this is a luxury we cannot afford.

Well this an article from The Hindu.

This is my first post when i first saw this it prompt me to say my opinion..

Wth all the things happening all over the world.. Of course is the CHINESE.
Pakistani, bangladeshi and the indians seems to be a nice people.

Your personal pity opinion of hating Chinese people does not change and stand for anything.
Keep your opinion and find a toy to play.

Your problem,Indophobia concerns India and Indonesiaphobia concerns India period.Of I hope you the presence of mind to realize I am an Indian not Indonesian.
@Azazel Okk....so which part of your sentence was supposed to make sense? :unsure:

Maybe if you got out of India...YOU WOULD KNOW Indo is also used for Indonesia more than for India
sigh why do I keep having to educate people living under a rock...Here is an example:

300px-Indomie_Goreng.jpg

....If you are talking about a phobia OBVIOUSLY it will be for those LIVING ABROAD...and outside your LIMITED boundary INDO is ALSO used for Indonesia! Hence, I said try a different word! Of course I had to spell everything out :angel:

Why don't you start with Two Nation theory.

The two-nation theory (Urdu: دو قومی نظریہ‎ do qaumi nazariya, Devanagari: दो क़ौमी नज़रिया,) is the ideology that the primary identity of Muslims on the Indian subcontinent is their religion, rather than their language or ethnicity, and therefore Indian Hindus and Muslims are two distinct nationalities....

BTW, someone recently mentioned do not bring religion in otherwise I can say ALOT about Hinduism (want to start there rather than an ideology) how you guys believe that people were actually created from different parts of a GOD and how the low caste and high caste CAN NOT MIX...deny all you want MAJORITY of India is leaning on this as compared to this 2 Nation theory you want to start with....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats hardly a measure for racism. If I dont prefer a neighbour from another race, it makes me racist? Thats not exactly the textbook definition of racism. Millions of tourist come to India every year for attractions in India, and there are barely few racist incidents where someone from another race is discriminated or beaten up....

Well this an article from The Hindu.

We are racist, like our parents were – The Express Tribune Blog

Like most middle class Pakistanis, they were worried that the complexion of my skin will become dark if I spent too much time outside. My aunts flung concerned glances at me and my cousins during summers, especially when we were returning home after playing cricket, and made taunting comments about our tanned skin. Thus, from a very early age I learned that having dark skin was something to be embarrassed of.

This is an article from the Tribune

The whole survey needs to be studied in detail. where were these questions asked ? What was the sample size ? What was the socio-economic background of the people of various countries who were asked these questions ?

Oh come on let us Canadien win for once ;)

i know, but i can not say Indian as most racist according to the source because if i do then i am giving creditability of the source which means Bangladeshis are most racist too, he needs to understand that :P

While I wouldn't like to straightaway disapprove the survey, but in a country like India it's near impossible to do such a survey unless you have made a great effort to pick a sample size large and diverse enough to represent the nation. Otherwise it's BS.

Anyway, glad to know that India and Hong Kong got coloured in the same colour in some map. :lol: I thought this would never happen.

Also, happy to know that at least most Indians (56.5 %) are not racist even according to this ... ahem survey.

Back
Top Bottom