What's new

Model Tejas Mk.2 At Aero India

Looks cooool..! But need more detailed information and official confermation about it.

LCAMK2_RANJAN.JPG

So we'll finally, hopefully, know what it looks like, and how different (if at all) it will be. The DRDO's curtain-raiser statement for Aero India 2011 suggests that it will be displaying models of the air force and navy TEJAS Mk.2. There has been little clarity over the real design changes likely to be incorporated in the Mk.2, so to specifically mention the Mk.2 in its list of model displays suggests that there will be something to talk about. Will it have canard foreplanes? We do know that the aft fuselage will undergo changes to house the GE-F414 turbofan, but that's pretty much all we really know. Will update this post over the next few hours with more.

Hadn't thought of using the totally unofficial fan-art image above until now. It was sent to me by someone last year, but I've misplaced their details. So if you recognise your image, please let me know so I can credit you!

Livefist - Indian Defence & Aerospace: Model Tejas Mk.2 At Aero India
Nice looks very good...:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

I am not so sure about the Canard , but it is not a distant possibility and could very well be integrated with LCA
As far as My Info about Tejas MK2 is concerned , it is expected to have the following changes compared to MK1

TEJAS MK1 MK2

EMPTY WEIGHT 5700 Kgs 6200 Kgs
PAYLOAD 4000 Kgs 4500 Kgs
FUEL LOAD 3000 Kgs 3600 Kgs
HARD POINTS 07 08
THRUST 85 Kn (GEF404) 98 Kn (GEF414)
RANGE 2000 Km 2200 Km
RADAR PESA AESA
Max Takeoff Weight 13500 Kgs 14500 Kgs
Top Speed 1.8 Mach 2.0 Mach
RCS 3.25Sqm 2.00Sqm
Tejas mark 1 has 3.25sqm RCS from where u got this info.??

I am not so sure about the Canard , but it is not a distant possibility and could very well be integrated with LCA
As far as My Info about Tejas MK2 is concerned , it is expected to have the following changes compared to MK1

TEJAS MK1 MK2

HARD POINTS 07 08
RANGE 2000 Km 2200 Km
RADAR PESA AESA
RCS 3.25Sqm 2.00Sqm

just 500 kg increase in payload?? you gotta be kidding

TEJAS MK1 MK2

HARD POINTS 07 08
RANGE 2000 Km 2200 Km
RADAR PESA AESA
RCS 3.25Sqm 2.00Sqm

No offense Archie, but there are several wrong points!

MK1 has most likely an emptyweight of 6.5t, at least that's what the latest spec boards said. They still try to reduce it, but MK2 with AESA, bigger wings and more avionics will be around 7t for sure.
Payload should be increased at least to 5t, which means the MTOW will be higher as well, MK1 has already 7 + 1 (pods) stations, the easiest way to increase the number would be wingtip stations, which means 2 more, but the bigger wings could hint to 2 more under the wings itself, what means 9 + 1, or even 11 + 1 stations for MK2.
Range is debatable as we found out in the LCA thread, but the MK1 has only 2.4t internal fuel now and it should be increased to 3+ t, which is around the increase Gripen NG has.
MK1 has a multi mode radar, not a PESA radar and if Elta won't be the co-developing partner of the AESA, it will be completely new and not much related to the older MMR.
So far MK1 has a speed of Mach 1.6, but 2 was the aim before and still should be for MK2.
No idea where you get these RCSs from, but they fit more to our older Mig 21s than to LCA! A very low RCS was one of the main aims behind LCA and that's why it has a very small size, makes extensive use of composites and RAM materials, has ducted air intakes just like the Gripen and LCA don't even has canards. There is no reason to believe that LCA has a RCS above 1m2, when even bigger F16 B52s with some RCS reductions comes down to 1.2m2.

Regarding the model, I have some big doubt about the addition of canards now, if they would wanted it, they would have added it before. Moreover with the development of the LEVCONS for N-LCA, it stupid to use to different systems for both, so if at all, they would use the same LEVCONS on IAF LCAs as well.

I would say that this has a rather un-canny resemblance to the Yugoslav Novi Avion.

Novi13ot.jpg

But then again, today's European fighter aircraft have a uniform delta-wing-cum-canard configuration similarity.

No, the model (BAE P106) has the canards besides the air intakes on both sides of the cockpit, while the Novi Avion has the air intakes below the cockpit. It also has a cranked delta wing, while the Novi has a normal delta wings.

Dear, the engine is GE F414. A deal is already signed for around a 100 of them for MK2. And this has nothing to do with lifting of arm embargo. Tejas has been using a US engine (GE F404) since its first flight when India was under heavy US sanctions.

Dear, did I say wrong about American engine? F414 is American engine. Of course the lifting embargo would do a lot favour to India, scince Inida incapable of many areas to develop a modern 4th generation aircraft (3rd gen according to american standerd).

sensitive technology transfers from U.S would help India to upgrade its aviation industry in great deal.:wave:

Dear, did I say wrong about American engine? F414 is American engine. Of course the lifting embargo would do a lot favour to India, scince Inida incapable of many areas to develop a modern 4th generation aircraft (3rd gen according to american standerd).

sensitive technology transfers from U.S would help India to upgrade its aviation industry in great deal.:wave:

No you didn't. I was just specifying the engine since you mentioned "either american or russian". Lifting of embargo is surely a welcome development but its not something that is a must for Tejas to succeed.

LCAMK2_RANJAN.JPG

So we'll finally, hopefully, know what it looks like, and how different (if at all) it will be. The DRDO's curtain-raiser statement for Aero India 2011 suggests that it will be displaying models of the air force and navy TEJAS Mk.2. There has been little clarity over the real design changes likely to be incorporated in the Mk.2, so to specifically mention the Mk.2 in its list of model displays suggests that there will be something to talk about. Will it have canard foreplanes? We do know that the aft fuselage will undergo changes to house the GE-F414 turbofan, but that's pretty much all we really know. Will update this post over the next few hours with more.

Hadn't thought of using the totally unofficial fan-art image above until now. It was sent to me by someone last year, but I've misplaced their details. So if you recognise your image, please let me know so I can credit you!

Livefist - Indian Defence & Aerospace: Model Tejas Mk.2 At Aero India

No canard is there in MK2 design. None of the modern plane has canard, F 22, T50 PAKFA, Su 35 etc....

dassault accepts that Canard is just for stability and not for maneuverability.

The canards and fused into the delta wing, making it a cranked delta.

Correct.

Aerodynamic study reveal a little use of Canard on Tejas. A leading scientist said that tejas is a highly maneuverable design. You will witness High degree of maneuverability of tejas in coming air shows.

tejas is all set to emerge as super light weight fighter. Mk2 will carry almost same weight as its own weight. It will be a very high G design with AESA and lot more. Nothing in the neighborhood except (Su 30) will be able to mess with it. It will outclass F 16 and all other Chinese aircraft by huge margin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom