What's new

Missile capacity gives PLA cutting edge

Beidou2020

Reaction score
Country
China
f8bc1269fd83175324960f.jpg

Yinji-12 anti-ship missile.

Bigger and better weaponry on display at grand military parade are China's 'trump card' in naval warfare, offering clear evidence that nation can easily defend itself.

China has obtained a full strategic strike capability thanks to the rapid development of its strategic missile force, military experts said after the People's Liberation Army made public some of its most powerful missiles in Thursday's parade.

"Compared with last parade in 2009, the missiles displayed in this year's parade were more advanced and powerful. Such missiles represent the long-range strike capability and are must-have weapons for world powers," Senior Colonel Shao Yongling, a military strategy professor at the PLA Second Artillery Corps Command College, told China Daily in an exclusive interview.

A total of 112 missiles from the PLA second artillery corps, the country's de facto strategic missile force, appeared in the parade on Thursday on Tian'anmen Square that marked the 70th anniversary of the victory of the Chinese People's War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression and World Anti-Fascist War. The seven types shown at the grand event were the CJ-10A cruise missile, the DF-15B and DF-16 short-range ballistic missiles, the DF-21D medium-range ballistic missile, the DF-26 intermediate-range ballistic missile, and the DF-31A and DF-5B intercontinental ballistic missiles.

In the 2009 parade, marking the 60th anniversary of New China, 108 missiles in five types were displayed, including the DF-11A short-range ballistic missile and the DF-31A intercontinental ballistic missile.

Among the military hardware on display on Thursday, the DF-26 and DF-21D were the stars of the parade, Shao said.

"The DF-26 can be used to destroy ground targets and mobile seaborne targets. The missile has closed the gap in the PLA Second Artillery Corps' strike range, as we previously lacked intermediate-range projection platforms because the DF-21 is for medium-range tasks while the DF-31 is for intercontinental projection," she explained.

Foreign media reported that the DF-26 is an upgraded version of the DF-21, which was the first solid-fuel ballistic missile deployed by the PLA Second Artillery Corps. It is able to hit targets up to 4,000 kilometers from the launch site, according to IHS Jane's Defence Weekly.

Talking about the DF-21D, the senior colonel said the missile was much anticipated by military observers who have dubbed it as the "aircraft carrier killer".

The official introduction of the DF-21D, which was announced during the parade, said that the weapon will be used to hit ships and is a "trump card" in asymmetric naval warfare.

The DF-21D and DF-26 are likely to be the only two ballistic missiles in the world that are capable of sinking aircraft carriers, she said.

I think I was one of many who thought that the YJ-12 on display was air-launched。It now transpires that the missile is code-named YJ-12A,a ship-based variant of the YJ-12 family。:D

YJ-12A.jpg

Last edited:
I think I was one of many who thought that the YJ-12 on display was air-launched。It now transpires that it is code-named YJ-12A,a ship-based variant of the YJ-12 family。:D

There is a ship-based variant of YJ-12?

I thought the YJ-18 is the ship-based variant?

There is a ship-based variant of YJ-12?

I thought the YJ-18 is the ship-based variant?

Yes,there is。And it is official。

The speculation now is that YJ-12As will replace Russian Sunburns on PLAN's 4 Sovremenny-class destroyers which are being or about to be upgraded with Chinese systems。

The YJ-18 is a different beast。

I hope to see a carrier get sunk one day. How beautiful that would be. A couple of nice DONGfengs.. Beautiful.

There are a couple of pics of past carriers that sunk. USS Yorktown.
post-846-0-05792500-1370624455.jpg

Battle of Midway where 4 Japanese carriers sunk in the same battle with Yorktown.
d1f7532f7eb5.jpg

There are a couple of pics of past carriers that sunk. USS Yorktown.
post-846-0-05792500-1370624455.jpg

Battle of Midway where 4 Japanese carriers sunk in the same battle with Yorktown.
d1f7532f7eb5.jpg

Brand new CVN's I'm talking about. In the future. May it hurt America real bad, and make them return home from terrorizing the entire world. The US contributed much to society before it started to be the world's policeman. Let's be multipolar instead of unipolar. Sink a couple of those floating terror bases, and all will be good.

Brand new CVN's I'm talking about. In the future. May it hurt America real bad, and make them return home from terrorizing the entire world. The US contributed much to society before it started to be the world's policeman. Let's be multipolar instead of unipolar. Sink a couple of those floating terror bases, and all will be good.

Losing a carrier hurts sure. But its not something we are new to. Even when we lost many during WW2.
US_fleet_at_Majuro_Atoll_1944.jpg

Fleet-003-US-VA-Norfolk-20121220-N-ZN152-189.jpg

Oh yeah forgot there was the USS America that was sunk by the U.S. Navy. Pretty modern carrier. Took weeks to sink it though.

A society without policemen is not a free society or a "multipolar" society, it's chaos and mayhem.
A world without policeman will be...

The problem is not USA as policeman. They were the world policeman since 70 years ago and the world lived in a relative peace.

The problem, as in any previous moments of any war, is the lack of natural resources and richness for everybody.

A society without policemen is not a free society or a "multipolar" society, it's chaos and mayhem.
A world without policeman will be...

The problem is not USA as policeman. They were the world policeman since 70 years ago and the world lived in a relative peace.

The problem, as in any previous moments of any war, is the lack of natural resources and richness for everybody.

You're nuts. Who the hell are you to 'trust' the policeman? Things need to happen in accordance to a plurality and majority of world opinion. Not like what they did in Iraq, Syria, AFghanistan,, Libya etc etc. Are you nuts? If I was the world's only superpower, I would use all the tools I had just to streghnten and solidify my position, just like the US is doing. Saldy, the rest of the world hurts from it, even US allies, like we see with all those 'refugees' streaming into Europe.

Losing a carrier hurts sure. But its not something we are new to. Even when we lost many during WW2.
US_fleet_at_Majuro_Atoll_1944.jpg

Fleet-003-US-VA-Norfolk-20121220-N-ZN152-189.jpg

Oh yeah forgot there was the USS America that was sunk by the U.S. Navy. Pretty modern carrier. Took weeks to sink it though.

Only difference being that now you build one in 10 years, instead of in a single year. And China's shipbuilding capacity is about 50x as large, no joke. Google both country's yearly shipbuilding tonnage.

Only difference being that now you build one in 10 years, instead of in a single year. And China's shipbuilding capacity is about 50x as large, no joke. Google both country's yearly shipbuilding tonnage.

LOL! It doesn't take the U.S. to build a carrier in 10 years. And we don't need a hundred aircraft carriers in peacetime. Hence only around a dozen usually. Don't care if China's shipbuilding capacity is huge. They mostly build cargo ships and so on. Not carriers.

You're nuts. Who the hell are you to 'trust' the policeman? Things need to happen in accordance to a plurality and majority of world opinion. Not like what they did in Iraq, Syria, AFghanistan,, Libya etc etc. Are you nuts? If I was the world's only superpower, I would use all the tools I had just to streghnten and solidify my position, just like the US is doing. Saldy, the rest of the world hurts from it, even US allies, like we see with all those 'refugees' streaming into Europe.

Who are you to trust the policemen of the state you live? It's the same, trust or not, it's needed, and without them you would live in a failed state with chaos and mayhem, that is what you want?.

Think in the world as it would be a super-state, where every state is a citizen of that super-state, without a "policeman" in that super-state it will be chaos, and the policeman in this world is USA. Multipolar world is equal to chaos and wars.

The problem is not USA as super-state and policeman. The problem is lack of natural resources, wars are due to economic reasons, not due to "policeman" reasons.

USA has the world hegemony since 70 years ago. Why those wars happened in last years? The problem it's not that they have the power. The problem is economic.

LOL! It doesn't take the U.S. to build a carrier in 10 years. And we don't need a hundred aircraft carriers in peacetime. Hence only around a dozen usually. Don't care if China's shipbuilding capacity is huge. They mostly build cargo ships and so on. Not carriers.

:lol:

You really have no idea what China is building do you?

Who are you to trust the policemen of the state you live? It's the same, trust or not, it's needed, and without them you would live in a failed state with chaos and mayhem, that is what you want?.

Think in the world as it would be a super-state, where every state is a citizen of that super-state, without a "policeman" in that super-state it will be chaos, and the policeman in this world is USA. Multipolar world is equal to chaos and wars.

The problem is not USA as super-state and policeman. The problem is lack of natural resources, wars are due to economic reasons, not due to "policeman" reasons.

USA has the world hegemony since 70 years ago. Why those wars happened in last years? The problem it's not that they have the power. The problem is economic.

No, the problem is there is a power that have monopoly in many areas and they are using those monopoly positions to dominate the world.

The world does not need a dominant power. World needs multipolar world where no country can dominate the world by itself.

:-):-) Are all steel production involved in building aircraft carriers?

Yes, all the steel is used to build carriers :p:

Back
Top Bottom