What's new

Norway, Philippines ambassadors among 7 killed in Gilgit helicopter crash

TTP claims responsibility

Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for shooting down the helicopter in Gilgit.

TTP spokesperson Muhammad Khorasani claimed a special task force had prepared a plan to target Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, however, the premier escaped the attempt as he was in a different helicopter.

In a statement, Khorasani said “TTP will soon show the Shoulder Launch Missile (SAM SYSTEM) used in the attack”.

CEeRD12VEAI6xWF.jpg
I'm calling BS, do the TTP have access to MANPADS? And these Mi-17s are almost certain to have had IDS on board (right?).

Unless the TTP used a RPG on the helo during either landing or take off as has been used against US forces in Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan to devastating effect. However I doubt this also because the HLZs would have been cleared by the PA so I can't see how the TTP could get close enough to use RPGs on the Mi-17s.

General Asim Bajwa
1 hr ·
One MI-17 heli out of 3 carrying visitors had a crash landing at Naltar. Total 11 foreigners and 6 Pakistani passengers on board. 3rd MI-17 crash landed, as per initial information all passengers and crew survived. Three passengers received injuries.

AsimBajwaISPR @AsimBajwaISPR · 1 hr1 hour ago
Update Naltar:2 pilots,4 foreigners fatalities.(Ambs Philippine, Norway,wives of Malaysian& Indonesian Ambs).Injured-Polish&Dutch Ambs-5

General Asim Bajwa
1 hr ·
One MI-17 heli out of 3 carrying visitors had a crash landing at Naltar. Total 11 foreigners and 6 Pakistani passengers on board. 3rd MI-17 crash landed, as per initial information all passengers and crew survived. Three passengers received injuries.

AsimBajwaISPR @AsimBajwaISPR · 1 hr1 hour ago
Update Naltar:2 pilots,4 foreigners fatalities.(Ambs Philippine, Norway,wives of Malaysian& Indonesian Ambs).Injured-Polish&Dutch Ambs-5
I assume it was a massive attack from terrorists after reading this....

TTP claims responsibility

Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for shooting down the helicopter in Gilgit.

TTP spokesperson Muhammad Khorasani claimed a special task force had prepared a plan to target Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, however, the premier escaped the attempt as he was in a different helicopter.

In a statement, Khorasani said “TTP will soon show the Shoulder Launch Missile (SAM SYSTEM) used in the attack”.

khorasani called you and told you this ??? and after massive posts you're unable to understand if the sam or any system like that hit the heli thn each and every single person die without any so called injuries.... big lol TTP and propoganda news

If it is shot down by SAM than everyone should have been killed .....

It is a crash landing

Not necessarily, it depends on the damage the SAM/MANPADS is able to inflict. In a lot of cases the missile causes terminal damage to the helo that subsequently causes it to crash but it is very very unlikely a SAM would destroy the helo instantaneously.

It depends on a number of factors but let's wait for some confirmations, I'm not at all convinced this is anything more than a tragic accident and the TTP are being anything but opportunist a-holes.

General Asim Bajwa
1 hr ·
So two Mi-17s out of the 3 ship formation crashed or..........?

khorasani called you and told you this ??? and after massive posts you're unable to understand if the sam or any system like that hit the heli thn each and every single person die without any so called injuries.... big lol TTP and propoganda news
I've already stated this may not be the case my friend.....

Pakistan helicopter crash kills foreign envoys - BBC News

Pakistan helicopter crash kills foreign envoys

_82855936_pakistangilgit4640515.jpg

The ambassadors of Norway and the Philippines are among at least six people killed in a helicopter crash in northern Pakistan, the army says.

The military helicopter crashed during an emergency landing in the mountainous Gilgit-Baltistan territory.

The wives of the Indonesian and Malaysian envoys and two Pakistan Army pilots also died in the crash.

They were travelling to attend the opening of a tourism project in Gilgit. The cause of the crash is unclear.

'Urgent' situation
Military spokesman Asim Bajwa confirmed the deaths of Norwegian envoy Leif Larsen and Domingo Lucenario of the Philippines in a post on Twitter. He said five others were injured, including the Polish and Dutch ambassadors.

Eleven foreigners and six Pakistanis were on board the MI-17 helicopter, he added.

The helicopter reportedly hit a building belonging to an army school in Gilgit-Baltistan. It is not yet known whether there are any casualties on the ground.

It was one of three helicopters ferrying a delegation of foreign diplomats for the inauguration of a chairlift project built by the air force for tourists.

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was scheduled to inaugurate the facility, but his aircraft turned back from Gilgit after reports of the crash.

The chairlift project was reportedly completed more than six months ago, but its inauguration was delayed due to Prime Minister Sharif's other commitments

I'm calling BS, do the TTP have access to MANPADS? And these Mi-17s are almost certain to have had IDS on board (right?).

Unless the TTP used a RPG on the helo during either landing or take off as has been used against US forces in Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan to devastating effect. However I doubt this also because the HLZs would have been cleared by the PA so I can't see how the TTP could get close enough to use RPGs on the Mi-17s.
Most probably it is BS ,their claim to fame on another incident but it is being reported widely even on BBC.
Can't rule it out though.

Last edited:

Bhai mere, you have to take these claims seriously. Maybe it was an RPG hit, forcing the helicopter to crash land. Quite a few US helicopters crash landed in Afghanistan after being hit by RPGs

Back
Top Bottom