What's new

MG to produce electric vehicles in Pakistan

This is indeed HUGE for us. Pakistan is finally moving in the right direction. Inshallah it continues............ :pakistan:

It is definitely a big moment for a country like Pakistan. Although this will only cater a small percentage of the population. Like a member said, our population doesn't even understand what an electric vehicle is. Let alone its benefits. These Suzuki worshippers are stuck in another era. Even if you shot a Suzuki worshipper in a square and told him the benefits of an electric vehicle he would rather argue that Suzuki beats it hands down.

I like to think that I am lower middle class but my friends say that even middleclass can't own a 1 kanal home in a decent housing society.

Rich and elite will buy Tesla model S or Audi E-Tron not this.

That is an even smaller segment of society. People who can afford Audi's and Tesla are rich according to Pak standards. This MG will be an addition to the list of cars the rich already own in Pakistan.

I think prices of locally made electric cars will be low as tax on electric car is now only 1%.

This is vehicle is not for the mainstream Suzuki lovers. It will be for the rich and elite.
Just like every other government incentive.

Minimum wage is 20000PKR.

Shouldn't the public policy be to have the masses afford a people's electric car for that amount?

Or how many generations will it take to pay off the lease on this?

Don't come back with Robin Hood tales of circular wealth

If it is priced under Rs.6500000 then it should sell really well considering what is happening right now. Almost all SUVs here are sold out right now.

This is big!

Only if Pakistan's power infrastructure is capable of handling the added load of EVs on top of the other existing demands. (Which it isn't, and won't be for a long time.)

Just like every other government incentive.

Minimum wage is 20000PKR.

Shouldn't the public policy be to have the masses afford a people's electric car for that amount?

Or how many generations will it take to pay off the lease on this?

Don't come back with Robin Hood tales of circular wealth

Like I said, firstly the ordinary peeps don't have appreciation nor understanding of electric vehicles. Let alone a luxurious brand like MG. They are stuck with Suzuki's and Toyota's. Japanese auto brands are holy in Pakistan. Often the argument is that they are cheap in use and maintenance. They are supposed to be reliable as a tank which I think is true.

No, the ordinary masses won't be going for MG. Very unlikely in my opinion unless there is a change in attitude.

What does that even mean in Pakistan?

Net Zero? Or just anything on renewable?

Ladder anything on renewable. Im also thinking along the defense line those power planets will be knocked out during a conflict.

Like I said, firstly the ordinary peeps don't have appreciation nor understanding of electric vehicles. Let alone a luxurious brand like MG. They are stuck with Suzuki's and Toyota's. Japanese auto brands are holy in Pakistan. Often the argument is that they are cheap in use and maintenance. They are supposed to be reliable as a tank which I think is true.

No, the ordinary masses won't be going for MG. Very unlikely in my opinion unless there is a change in attitude.
The Government is simply crumbling in front of the capitalist material greed. Nothing new about it.

Pakistani public may see them as commodity but GoP sees them as luxury items. Which then begs the question about austerity measures which then circles round to people who are paying out CASH in millions for putting their own lives in danger which circles back to free health.

Is the parliament building or any housing scheme launched by government a carbon neutral building?

Has the PM set an example of using anything less economical? All people see are helicopters of the officials flying about.

Why can't you admit the corruption?
Ladder anything on renewable. Im also thinking along the defense line those power planets will be knocked out during a conflict.

The non automated ones do get shut down for 500pkr if you know the system. Has happened and would happen again.

Only if Pakistan's power infrastructure is capable of handling the added load of EVs on top of the other existing demands. (Which it isn't, and won't be for a long time.)
It will be in the future. Bus carriers will also replacing their petrol buses with electric ones for certain routes, routes where charging stations are widely available.
1623592440197.png
1623592502705.png

Pakistan’s first electric public bus service launched in Karachi | Pakistan – Gulf News
BYD delivers first electric bus to Pakistan - CBW (cbwmagazine.com)
Trial run of China electric bus conducted in Karachi (nation.com.pk)

I mean a 2 seater car for students, elderly, women, etc.. good for parking too.. so it may eliminate 1000s of middle class 800cc cars. Also reduces heat and pollutants emissions. @Syed1.
View attachment 752997
Edit.. Even a single seater for daily commute like to office, market etc.
People would rather buy electric motorcycles than that atrocity. Both Pakistan and India will be huge markets for electric motorcycles in the future, as soon as the infrastructure to support them will be there.

I know people are of the opinion this is an expensive vehicle which i agree with not entirely for the elite, this is geared for upper middle class who buy civic, altis other cross over small suv the sales of which are booming these days.

The cost of this car will be barely 10% more expensive than its gasoline counterparts, given it has 1% tax in new auto policy vs heavy taxation on gasoline counterparts.

This is a great development because if this starts assembly in Pakistan than the cheaper alto/mehran replacement is not far down the line.

With the recent taxation and low base price its a killer deal most likely will end up cheaper than mehran and alto with basically negligible running cost and maintainance. No need for high end charging network for this one for day to day city use, only need a 3 phase connection at local residence.

One must realize its a model every car company follows, from tesla first introducing roadster - model s - model x - than came the cheaper model 3. It has got to do with creating brand recognition and profit margins in the begining.

People would rather buy electric motorcycles than that atrocity. Both Pakistan and India will be huge markets for electric motorcycles in the future, as soon as the infrastructure to support them will be there.
4 wheeler is more safer and wide customer range (elderly and women). More crash worthy as it has seat belts and air bags. Protects from rain and puddles. Can carry goods. Serve as taxi/Uber.

a three wheeler scooter is also safer to drive but not crash worthy.
1623593908052.png

Back
Top Bottom