What's new

Mental retardation: Pakistani scientists discover 30 new genes

What happens to them, then?
They go to schools specifically for them where there are only special people, and teachers. They are not completely isolated in society and sit with guests and talk when they arrive. They live normally.

The only difference is they are usually not expected to get jobs and education. Education as in schools for other children, o levels/matric, a levels/inter, college, bachelorz degrees etc. My special persons only career was wrapping chocolates for patchi which was done by her school. We do not push them too hard to achieve what other people achieve. They are protected and there is a belief that they will be mocked if we send them to normal schools. I knew a kid like that in my school when I was young. He had a lot of learning difficulty in our school.

They go to schools specifically for them where there are only special people, and teachers. They are not completely isolated in society and sit with guests and talk when they arrive. They live normally.

The only difference is they are usually not expected to get jobs and education. Education as in schools for other children, o levels/matric, a levels/inter, college, bachelorz degrees etc. My special persons only career was wrapping chocolates for patchi which was done by her school. We do not push them too hard to achieve what other people achieve. They are protected and there is a belief that they will be mocked if we send them to normal schools. I knew a kid like that in my school when I was young. He had a lot of learning difficulty in our school.
Would you please provide me with some links so I can learn more about how this is done in Pakistan? Thanks.

Hey! Then why not Indo-Pak marriages?

Good idea.

upload_2016-9-23_14-42-37.jpeg
upload_2016-9-23_14-43-19.jpeg

Would you please provide me with some links so I can learn more about how this is done in Pakistan? Thanks.
I am not a professional or expert in this matter so there is no link I know of that I can provide. I am only a family member of one such person. That job is for the teachers at special schools and they might have more resources in this regard. I wish you the best but I know no links which might help you.

Cant say if 7.5% figure is correct or not but cases in Pakistan are high and the primary reason as stated are the cousin marriages. I have seen it in my family as well. First two kids did not survived and third one was mentally retarded and only lived for 4 years before the child passed away.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Another reason could be stress by in-laws. Subcontinent has a very unhealthy relationship between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law that creates a great deal of stress on the DiL, especially during pregnancy.

It may be a myth that cousin marriages or marriage between other blood relatives cause mental or physical defects. Cousin marriage is common among Sikhs but frequency of incidence of defects is normal just like those communities which don't practice cousin marriage.

It most certainty is not. Sikhs and Hindus, basically all North Indian non-Muslims follow Gotra system.

Actually its not bared in the religion hence government cannot declare it illegal. But i am surprised at the stubbornness of the people. I remember my colleague had 3 of his sons deaf and dumb because of this yet again he got his elder son who was the only one who was not deaf and dumb again married with his cousin and i was like Shah sb you know the results of this why do you do it and i was even more amazed by his reply, Yar aisi bahir shadi ker lain to sadhi larkiyaan bhati rahain.
Riba is barred yet Pakistan engages in it.

Riba is barred yet Pakistan engages in it.
Islami banking i think practices this Riba as opposed to interest. Our president was on record saying Ullamah Karam Sood ki gunjaish paida kerin lol
But anyway how does it relate to the topic at hand??

Islami banking i think practices this Riba as opposed to interest. Our president was on record saying Ullamah Karam Sood ki gunjaish paida kerin lol
But anyway how does it relate to the topic at hand??
It was just my frustration at Pakistan that if some that اللہ has declared war against is openly practiced yet if Pakistan was to ban something permissible, people would come out saying this is wrong. It is just the hypocrisy that I am annoyed at.
I mean Riba is worse than a man lying with his mother.

It was just my frustration at Pakistan that if some that اللہ has declared war against is openly practiced yet if Pakistan was to ban something permissible, people would come out saying this is wrong. It is just the hypocrisy that I am annoyed at.
I mean Riba is worse than a man lying with his mother.
I can understand the frustration. It is true that we are hypocrites of the highest order. For example we like to keep relations with India who is abuser of all the same things and more that we use as an excuse to not have any diplomatic relations with Israel and accept it as a country.

You people never let a chance go vain to degrade Pakistan or Pakistanis. This shows how mentally sick you are and same is the dilemma to your whole nation. But still we should respond to sick people like you as a duty because this may correct your nonsense.

kuch acha bhi to hona chahiye na pakistan me so that we could praise you lol. at least .0001% bhi chalega to speak something good in favour of you

I'm very sorry to hear this. Another reason could be stress by in-laws. Subcontinent has a very unhealthy relationship between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law that creates a great deal of stress on the DiL, especially during pregnancy.

It most certainty is not. Sikhs and Hindus, basically all North Indian non-Muslims follow Gotra system.
I was thinking where he got that from.We dont even marry in our own village or mothers village

Who are you to say that? A guy who has the knowledge of ground zero in this matter told that cousin marriages does happen in some Sikh communities.

kuch acha bhi to hona chahiye na pakistan me so that we could praise you lol. at least .0001% bhi chalega to speak something good in favour of you

Kuch acha dekhna chaho ge to acha nazar aayega, jub dimagh me gobar bhara ho to nazar bhi ghilazat hi aati he.
You inherited shit & garbage in your mind and soul, so this is what you see around.

Mental retardation: Pakistani scientists discover 30 new genes
By Asma Ghani
Published: September 7, 2016
14SHARES
SHARE TWEET
1177701-DrProfJavedAkramdfdfds-1473225780-664-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: Pakmed

ISLAMABAD: A group of Pakistani researchers has discovered some 30 genes causing mental retardation in the local population, paving the way for preventive measures to reduce intellectual disabilities in the future generations.

The landmark discovery has been made by a team of 12 professors from the Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Medical University (SZABMU) of Islamabad working in collaboration with scientists from the Netherlands and the US.

To teach or not to teach: Legislators want PIMS separated from university

The groundbreaking research was announced by the Pakistani scientists on Tuesday. The paper has already been published in Nature’s Molecular Psychiatry – a prestigious international journal with an impact factor of 13.3.

Researchers from SZABMU, Netherlands’ Radboud University Medical Centre and University of Maryland School of Medicine had been working on the research for the past five years.

Dr-Javed-Akram.jpg

“This is a landmark discovery for Pakistan as mental retardation is comparatively high in the country owing to cousin marriages,” said SZABMU Vice-Chancellor Dr Javed Akram, who was the principal investigator from Pakistan.

The elevated level of endogamy in Pakistan has led to increased prevalence of genetic disorders, including autosomal recessive intellectual disability (ARID) with an average of 1.1 cases of severe ID and 6.2 cases per 100 live births of mild ID.

The researcher from Netherlands, who joined the press briefing via video conferencing, said the new findings further expand the existing repertoire of genes involved in mental retardation, and provide new insights into the molecular mechanisms and the transcriptome map of the condition.

Capital hospitals’ issues: SC asks govt to appoint eight administrators in a week

These findings together with results expected to be released during the next eight months will have a significant role in improving the existing diagnostic procedures as well as treatment strategies especially of Molecular deafness, said Prof Hans van Bokhovenand from Radboud university Medical Centre.

SZABMU’s Dr S Riazuddin said the aim was to help bring in new legislations for a battery of tests for postnatal screening of infants and prenatal screening for mental retardation and other hereditary diseases.

The team is also going to propose the government to make mandatory pre-marriage screening for families having genes that cause blindness, deafness and intellectual disability.

The Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims), he said, has already registered some 3,000 such families from interior Sindh and south Punjab having such genes to consult before contracting within family marriages.

The paper published in the Molecular Psychiatry journal can be viewed at www.nature.com/mp/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/mp2016109a.html.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 7th, 2016.
Intra-community marriages are high in Parsis. Now are the cases of mental retardation high in Parsi community?

@padamchen

Back
Top Bottom