What's new

Mental retardation: Pakistani scientists discover 30 new genes

But if the government simplified the scientific discovery, showed the study public and helped people understand through an easy-to-understand wording, I am sure the common Pakistanis will listen. Don't call it illegal; just make the people aware and let them decide.
Its not that people are not aware they are but somehow the family politics does not allow them to move beyond it. The example i gave about my colleague, he was well aware of the consequences as he had 3 of his sons deaf and dumb, yet again he married his elder son, the only normal child to one of her cousins in the family. Besides in our part of the world who gives a F the least of which is the government.

first cousin marriage is really really dangerous.

I
Cant say if 7.5% figure is correct or not but cases in Pakistan are high and the primary reason as stated are the cousin marriages. I have seen it in my family as well. First two kids did not survived and third one was mentally retarded and only lived for 4 years before the child passed away.

i think its wrong to call them retarded. Very blunt. They are special people and can be very endearing.

Over 50% of the marriages in Pakistan are cousin marriages! I had no idea it was that high. But as the paper notes, it is this inbreeding that has "greatly accelerated the pace of identification of gene mutations that cause ARID."

Actually its not bared in the religion hence government cannot declare it illegal. But i am surprised at the stubbornness of the people. I remember my colleague had 3 of his sons deaf and dumb because of this yet again he got his elder son who was the only one who was not deaf and dumb again married with his cousin and i was like Shah sb you know the results of this why do you do it and i was even more amazed by his reply, Yar aisi bahir shadi ker lain to sadhi larkiyaan bhati rahain.
Bhati rahain they can get married with some one else
There are many stupid guys like me check out shah sb lol
But I am worried shah only marry with shah cast lol

Genetic diversity helps. Heck, it is very necessary. But those who are born 'retarded' should not be made fun of.
In the West, the extreme case of inbreeding has been European royal families. Consider this portrait by Goya of Charles IV of Spain and his family:
La_familia_de_Carlos_IV.jpg

See the expressions on their faces? For most of them, the eyes are wide open yet there is nothing there, no expression. Goya was not a scribbler and he worked on this painting for weeks and thus spent lots of time with Charles IV and his family. So the omission was not an accident; there just wasn't anything in their minds to reflect on the faces because they were idiots. And to fully validate the artist's judgment and portrayal, they paid him his fee without so much as a peep!

The cousin marriage scenario is actually becoming less common but the previous generations lack of mix and match has allowed certain dormant genes to pipe up.

Its not that people are not aware they are but somehow the family politics does not allow them to move beyond it. The example i gave about my colleague, he was well aware of the consequences as he had 3 of his sons deaf and dumb, yet again he married his elder son, the only normal child to one of her cousins in the family. Besides in our part of the world who gives a F the least of which is the government.

Then your colleague's son should have refused.

As an adult he can refuse and he should. It is simply going to ruin his future.

I

i think its wrong to call them retarded. Very blunt. They are special people and can be very endearing.
Perhaps it went out the wrong way. This was not my intention. The word special i assumed is used for people who have some sort of problem but they can understand, read and write. The child i was talking about he could not even get up from bed. There was water in his brain as i was told by the family. A stud was introduced within the brain but even that did not help. Finally he passed away. The most depressing part in all of this was that her mother our bhabbi could not bear another child. This was her 3rd child.

no need to doing research on mental retardation in pakistan. only mentally retarded will elect NS as their PM.

Perhaps it went out the wrong way. This was not my intention. The word special i assumed is used for people who have some sort of problem but they can understand, read and write. The child i was talking about he could not even get up from bed. There was water in his brain as i was told by the family. A stud was introduced within the brain but even that did not help. Finally he passed away. The most depressing part in all of this was that her mother our bhabbi could not bear another child. This was her 3rd child.

Such children are a gift from God. They go straight to heaven and may take us with them. I do not like talking about my family but a very close person in my family is special. I love her very much. No one can love others the way special people love.

Though it is true that first cousin marriages should be avoided there is still at times a chance of the blood being very similar between those married. I feel sorry for that child you talk about. That is a painful truth-no one knows how long special people will live.

Such children are a gift from God. They go straight to heaven and may take us with them. I do not like talking about my family but a very close person in my family is special. I love her very much. No one can love others the way special people love.
I, too, have family members whose "special" love was highly valued by the parents. So much so that they delayed medical and psychological treatment that could help their children's development into independent adults, fearing the prospect of increased ability and awareness in their offspring would destroy the "special" love. Was what the parents did wrong or not?

I, too, have family members whose "special" love was highly valued by the parents. So much so that they delayed medical and psychological treatment that could help their children's development into independent adults, fearing the prospect of increased ability and awareness in their offspring would destroy the "special" love. Was what the parents did wrong or not?
There are more opportunities for special children in the west. The main cause is a difference in mindset. The westerners want to push special kids, make them equal members of society. This difference in mindset has led special children in the west to achieve more and be independent.

We Pakistanis don't like to push our special children though and we do not expect them to get jobs or education.

Back
Top Bottom