What's new

Memoirs of a (Pakistani) Hindu girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup society is stuck in it's culture...they never accepted Islam as a way of life (which it is supposed to be) but accepted it as a different entity and hence can't seem to draw the line between their culture and religion...

I agree that some people in our country have mixed up both culture & religion. However, I think that a certain aspect of culture is to be blamed here. That is the unwillingness to read, many people do not study religion on their own from verified or even factual sources. Instead, they ask people or those self-proclaimed "scholars" who are just as ignorant of religion as they are of religious laws & values. This results in people getting misled, either intentionally or unintentionally. Pakistanis need to encourage self-study & critical thinking, & the government must provide them with valid sources for scholarly consensus & religious or historical text books.

Yup the mindsets I agree are slightly twisted (for some people NOT ALL)

Exactly, I didn't mean that the entire society has a twisted mindset either. As I understand it, a lot of these incidents relating to religious discrimination or abuse occur in rural areas or places with an uneducated populace. That just exemplifies the need for better education in the society.

If you look at the new books, there is alot of changes, I do not remember reading much about Islam in my younger cousins' books...It kind of is left hanging.

Really? Does this mean that they have already modified the curriculum? If so; that is good news. History must always be taught from an unbiased perspective.

TOTALLY AGREED!! 1stly, we need a good government! One that cares for the people and doesn't consume their money for their vacations!

Haha, I agree. :lol:

I agree that some people in our country have mixed up both culture & religion. However, I think that a certain aspect of culture is to be blamed here. That is the unwillingness to read, many people do not study religion on their own from verified or even factual sources. Instead, they ask people or those self-proclaimed "scholars" who are just as ignorant of religion as they are of religious laws & values. This results in people getting misled, either intentionally or unintentionally. Pakistanis need to encourage self-study & critical thinking, & the government must provide them with valid sources for scholarly consensus & religious or historical text books.

Exactly, I didn't mean that the entire society has a twisted mindset either. As I understand it, a lot of these incidents relating to religious discrimination or abuse occur in rural areas or places with an uneducated populace. That just exemplifies the need for better education in the society.

Really? Does this mean that they have already modified the curriculum? If so; that is good news. History must always be taught from an unbiased perspective.

Haha, I agree. :lol:

p(-)0ENiX ullu bana diya na armstrong and tumen :pop:

neend ahrahe the uss time iss liye mene socha kal to wese he ana he so ,so mazak kar k soty hun,baad mein bata dunge .:D

Lol, aap nay acha mazaq kiya tha or apni profile pic wagera delete kardi kay aysay luggay kay asal mein chali gee ho. :lol:

Ab mein bhi kisi din aysa mazaq karoon ga aap pay. (mazaq kar raha hoon) :P

Visitor messages kab chulna shuro hon gaye?

Lol, aap nay acha mazaq kiya tha or apni profile pic wagera delete kardi kay aysay luggay kay asal mein chali gee ho. :lol:

Ab mein bhi kisi din aysa mazaq karoon ga aap pay. (mazaq kar raha hoon) :P

Visitor messages kab chulna shuro hon gaye?

I DONOT KNOW .....ASK FROM ZAKI OR FROM ANY MODERATOR ..........:)

I DONOT KNOW .....ASK FROM ZAKI OR FROM ANY MODERATOR ..........:)

No problem, I will contact a moderator later on. Mein abhi thora sa masroof hoon to phir hum thori dair baad batein kartay hain. :) Bye for now buddy. :wave:

Talon, you are talking about what Islam should be theoretically and ideally. I for one am not talking about whether these issues are there in the true Islam or not.

In practice and in Pakistan, i find people imposing 'their' Islam on others and i find intolerance increasing. This was not the case earlier or rather the intensity of this problem was marginal at best. I can give small examples of these things as well. Today however, most people find it mainstream in Pakistan.

And frankly, what other people think of your religion is reflected by how you act. So for example, if i take a member like Safriz here as an example, i will feel that Islam is a horrible religion and be against it, as it teaches its followers to have a superiority complex and hate against other religions.

On the other hand, if i take someone as Armstrong or maybe Phoenix as an example, i would have a very positive opinion of Islam, as i would feel they are taught to respect other religions just as much as they respect their own.

So these examples of bigotry, which are becoming more common in Pakistan since the last decade, lend those who are not as well informed as some others, to make a judgement call on Islam itself.

People who cannot respect other religion or at least have the decency of allowing others to follow their religion are immature and are the main people behind getting bad name to religion.

It does not matter what is written in the books, if you can not follow it.i

I am not too sure about government public school books....I am talking about the private school books (am not sure if it same to the public ones but I doubt it is)....The private schools like beaconhouse don't emphasize much on Islam...They have Islamiat but really basic stuff....

Talon, you are talking about what Islam should be theoretically and ideally. I for one am not talking about whether these issues are there in the true Islam or not.

Thank you...But I am pointing both what Islam is because people keep throwing what random people do as Islam or is caused because of Islam...as well as What Islam really is...just to show the difference...

In practice and in Pakistan, i find people imposing 'their' Islam on others and i find intolerance increasing. This was not the case earlier or rather the intensity of this problem was marginal at best. I can give small examples of these things as well. Today however, most people find it mainstream in Pakistan.

Not so true. Maybe I am from the city area so am not aware much of the rural things...BUT in the city area there is sooooooo much tolerance...yes, there still are lunatics but the tolerance level has increased significantly...Its just that the media is more open now and it knows it needs stories to sell...and hence, you see more reports in the newspapers/ tv and so on...its not because intolerance has increased but reports have increased! Especially because the media is actually going to these places- yes, its good now we know how bad some people are being treated....BUT it does not represent the whole of Pakistan!

And frankly, what other people think of your religion is reflected by how you act.
In today's world what other people think about a religion should be from their research not viewing some lunatics whom the media thinks is a good front cover news!

So for example, if i take a member like Safriz here as an example, i will feel that Islam is a horrible religion and be against it, as it teaches its followers to have a superiority complex and hate against other religions.

Whose Safriz?

On the other hand, if i take someone as Armstrong or maybe Phoenix as an example, i would have a very positive opinion of Islam, as i would feel they are taught to respect other religions just as much as they respect their own.

Yea, them two have good view points. :)

So these examples of bigotry, which are becoming more common in Pakistan since the last decade, lend those who are not as well informed as some others, to make a judgement call on Islam itself.

I do not judge or even decide about a religion based on 1 -100 people who claim to be following it...I read up about the religion as that is the best way to learn about it...not by looking at people who proclaim to be following it but are actually confused as to what is religion and what their backward culture had taught them!

People who cannot respect other religion or at least have the decency of allowing others to follow their religion are immature and are the main people behind getting bad name to religion.

IT DOES matter what is written in the books! Because the books is what the religion is not what the people think the religion is teaching...

You see....if I were to see that lunatic in America who was burning the Quran....AND CALLED CHRISTIANITY a hate religion- I am not doing justice to the religion because some mad man - who is just from 1 self founded church and was kicked out from another 2 countries called what he was preaching as Christianity!

Same goes for Hinduism or any other religion...Were I to take the crusaders...who killed in the name of the pope and say Christianity is all about blood shed...what sort of a person am I? I should open the bible and read it, do my research before opening my mouth...BECAUSE that is what differentiates a literate from an illiterate!

The illiterate of Pakistan are just following whom their forefathers followed because they are illiterate...hence, I have been saying that education is important! Because education helps one to utilize their minds to think and rationalize!

It's like saying it doesn't matter what the medical books say, lets just chop off 1 of his/ her limb! Obviously a doctor reads up first before preforming any operation. A scientist reads up first before preforming any test/ experiment. A hairdresser also looks up fashions...but when it comes to religion people want to see what the other does rather than reading it up? REALLY?

We had a Chief Justice that was Hindu, does India even have a Muslim Chief Justice?

:lol: Only 3 out of 38 when muslims are 15% of your population

Show me if there is any study or research suggesting that Chief Justice's should be appointed in accordance to their religious demographic proportion of the whole population. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom