What's new

Mecca Royal Clock Hotel Tower is an insult to Islam and to taste

Let's be precise for once. I asked people who criticized the current expansion work on which heritage that is exactly being ruined? The existing Abbasid and Ottoman columns are not going to be demolished they are just removed temporarily and will be put back in place when the final expansion work is done. This time at the back of the Mosque. I explained this to a user in detail in another thread.

I ask again do you even know how it will look like in the end? So how can you talk about esthetics.

You should counter all the correct points that @Chrome9 mentioned. I would have a hard time doing it if I was against the expansion projects as some are here. For unknown reasons.

Well then we will have to wait and see after the end of the construction projects.

Well then we will have to wait and see after the end of the construction projects.

Inspirational hajj pilgrimages to Makkah (and Madinah) | Page 4

I have no doubt that by the majority of the pilgrims AND citizens of Makkah will appreciate the expansion project and all the excellent work in and around Makkah once when fully completed. Now it has barely yet begun! The results will be fully seen in 6-10 years time is my estimate.

Right now it is a big construction mess.

SR3b firm set up to develop Jabal Al-Sharashif area

I must say the way Saudi Govt maintain and keep the holy sites of islam , non muslim nation can do that ... I have no shame in saying if we Pakistani's are taking care of that sites we would be doing corruption in that too... and use 3rd grade materials in construction .. and its not about beautiful or ugly building , if you want make Sydney opera house your mecca because that's one of the most beautiful building on earth , our Kaaba is beautiful in every sense .. you just need eyes to look :)

21st century solutions for 21st century problems. They can't demolish everything and replace them with outdated structures just because they look good. There will be almost 2 billion Muslims in the world by 2030 which means a large increase in the number of pilgrims which demands structural upgrades to take them in. Would you rather be roaming in a 21st century looking structure which keeps you safe or get killed while doing the Sai'i ?
Well the building def looks ugly...no doubt there

I would like to ask this to the Arabs:

@al-Hasani @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa and others...

Do we go for haj to be humble (in 2 pieces of white clothes) or sign in at a 5-star ugly building and live lavishly? Makes absolutely no sense! They could build Mr. Ugly in Jeddah for all one cares!

Last edited:
This is such a silly thread and it's just become irritating how this clock tower has become an issue whereas it's really a non-issue.
Mostly it's stirred up from people who have an agenda and have hardly ever visited these holy places.
The fact of the matter is that there will be more high rises to accommodate the exploding population of pilgrims each year. If any of you have ever been to the holy sites then you would appreciate the dire need of infrastructure to accommodate all these people. I've always been impressed by the saudi's how they take serious the development of both soft and hard infrastructure at the holy sites. They put a lot more effort their than in other cities and i'm quite confident than no other muslim country could do what the Saudi's are doing in terms of spending and development.

Now what are the arguments people come up with?

1) It's too large and it over shadows the Kaabah/minarets. In the Quran/sunnah/aqeedah there is no mention that it is not permissible to build over the Kaabah/minarets. In fact in the holy Quran making things unnecessarily haraam is forbidden. In surah al-Imran verse 93 the Bani-Israel were challenged to find it the taurah what foods they had self-proclaimed to be haraam. We take our ultimate guidance from the Quran and Sunnah as muslims. If it is not impermissible explicitly there, then we have nothing to worry about.

2) It's luxurious and most people can't afford it: Again silly argument, where there is demand there is supply. Have any of you ever tried to book a room in peak times? I personally have and the rooms are booked months in advance! It maybe out of some your budget but don't assume its the same for everyone. Wealth is such a relative thing, what maybe affordable for you might not be the same to me. The fact that many pilgrims prefer living on a site close to haram sharif and are willing to pay for it justifies it's existence. For those who can't afford that convenience, remember it's Allah (swt) that decides how he distributes wealth. People have a problem with the shopping mall but have no problem with the various souks outside, why have a problem with a clean air conditioned place for commerce in 50+ degrees heat? Its the same thing?

3) It should be a low rise area: Ok you have a low rise area, ever wondered how far that area would spread? Makkah is limited as it is, due to its mountainous topography, new "low rise" developments would have to cost an extortionate amount just to make suitable the land for building upon foundations. But the most pressing issue is every pilgrim wants to live near haram sharif. Preferably walking distance, no one wants to have to walk for miles for one salat and certainly not get caught in that awful traffic around haram. The only solution? Go vertical to accommodate the most amount of people.

4) They have demolished Islamic architecture: Again 100% agree with the saudi's on this. There is NO need to preserve everything as is in sacrifice of the well-being and convenience of present say-hajjis. Yes be careful not destroy the environment unnecessarily and all artifacts of interest can be preserved in a museum. But not building because some sahaba's house may have been their and some idiots (mostly our south-asian muslim variety) wanting to to turn it into a shrine is just dumb.

5) its bad taste, the architecture doesn't fit in with the surroundings: As one member mentioned previously, have you seen the final renders of the project? The Saudi government has embarked on an ambitious phase-wise development of haram sharif. Yes right now it may stick out abit but more high rises are expected to be built which should dilute its affect. When the various phases of the projects are completed according to the master-plan i'm sure it will be much more aesthetically pleasing.

Another esteemed member summarized everything I said by saying it's a 21st century solution to a 21st century problem. I just thought i'd expand upon that in simple english for those who are easily swayed but the uninformed/agenda-driven

Oh yes, yes, yes ! Just amazing ! :cheesy:

Continue... See old link :

Saudi’s giant clock to establish ‘Makkah Time’

:bunny:

Let's explain it so even Bubblegum will understand.

People are not criticizing the TOWER, they are criticizing the POSITION of the tower.

Oh, it’s true ? :devil:

Or we would had put then? To 1 km, 3 km, oh no no it is not far enough. Outside Makkah, it would have been much better. Then you will come with all your camels and tents. You're never satisfied or more eventually just for the most part of you :cuckoo:

But do not worry especially. We have nothing to do your opinions and all your brilliant ideas. It's clear for you. :devil:

Last edited:
Below is an incomplete list of destroyed sites in Saudi Arabia

Mosques
Cemeteries and tombs
Historical religious sites
  • The house of Mawlid where Muhammad is believed to have been born in 570. Originally turned into a cattle market, it now lies under a rundown building which was built 70 years ago as a compromise after Wahhabi clerics called for it to be torn down.[19]
  • The house of Khadija, Muhammad’s first wife. Muslims believe he received some of the first revelations there. It was also where his children Fatimah and Qasim were born. After it was rediscovered during the Haram extensions in 1989, it was covered over and it was made into a library.
  • House of Muhammed in Medina, where he lived after the migration from Mecca.[18]
  • Dar al Arqam, the first Islamic school where Muhammad taught.[19] It now lies under the extension of the Masjid Al Nabawi of Madinah.
  • Qubbat’ al-Thanaya, the burial site of Muhammed's incisor that was broken in the Battle of Uhud.[9]
  • Mashrubat Umm Ibrahim, built to mark the location of the house where Muhammad’s son, Ibrahim, was born to Mariah.
  • Dome which served as a canopy over the Well of Zamzam.[18]
  • Bayt al-Ahzan of Sayyida Fatima, in Medina.[18]
  • House of Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq, in Medina.[18]
  • Mahhalla complex of Banu Hashim, in Medina.[18]
  • House of Ali where Hasan and Husayn were born.[18]

Wasn't the same thread opened by the same guy a couple of weeks ago?

On a side note, the understanding of beautiful differs per person.

My personal opinion is that it is fugly. It's like a dick sticking out of the city.
Regardless, neither the building is mine nor the country, so I respect the decision made by the Saudi.

I have a doubt here. How much of the development is truly for the spiritual Muslim who's put his life's savings for a Hajj? As in, are those 5 or 7-star hotels, the symbols of modern extravagance, really necessary next to the holiest spiritual site in Islam, a Deen which stresses on Zakaat and austerity?

Not all Hotels are 5 - 7 stars, but many people can afford them given the fact that there is a great level of competition.

Catering for millions of hujjaj is not easy, especially when their numbers will explode in the future as Muslim countries get richer and their numbers grow coupled with the fact that the Middle east is becoming a global aviation hub.

You're playing a broken record. People are ignorant, know nothing about what is going on in there.

Yet, we often hear loud voices condemning us for not issuing enough visas.

Besides i dont think McDonnalds in KSA serves non halal products and the employees are most probably muslims so whats the problem?

McDonald's in KSA is a Saudi-owned company, its products are produced in KSA.

@al-Hasani are you sure round raised platform is temporary? cause second floor (beneath first one) of that round platform was about to be open next month.

The platforms are meant to serve as an alternative till phase two is finished.

The towar should have been built far away from Masjidul Haram to avoid distraction of Hajis during pilgrimage. Now it looks like a Devil's tower distracting peoples attention from Ka'aba.

11world.jpg

You are an Awamist, who know nothing about what is going on to begin with, let alone contributing positively or negatively to the subjects.

These Towers were meant to accommodate as many people as possible, at a fair decent price.

These Towers were meant to avoid the jam during Holy seasons.

These Towers' earnings will be deducted to charity to help those who are suffering under the Awamist Facist Regime.

Instead of tower and mall maybe they should have built a museum on islmic history and artifacts of heroes of islam.Mall is a bit crass.I don't think any holy city on earth has a gigantic mall right next to its sacred site.

Malls aren't taking much of the room of these two towers compared to the Hotels in each tower. People here and there often wish to stay as close to the Kaaba as possible.

As for Museums, we have three, and two more - close to the Haraam and Madian are under construction -

Below is an incomplete list of destroyed sites in Saudi Arabia

Mosques
Cemeteries and tombs
Historical religious sites
  • The house of Mawlid where Muhammad is believed to have been born in 570. Originally turned into a cattle market, it now lies under a rundown building which was built 70 years ago as a compromise after Wahhabi clerics called for it to be torn down.[19]
  • The house of Khadija, Muhammad’s first wife. Muslims believe he received some of the first revelations there. It was also where his children Fatimah and Qasim were born. After it was rediscovered during the Haram extensions in 1989, it was covered over and it was made into a library.
  • House of Muhammed in Medina, where he lived after the migration from Mecca.[18]
  • Dar al Arqam, the first Islamic school where Muhammad taught.[19] It now lies under the extension of the Masjid Al Nabawi of Madinah.
  • Qubbat’ al-Thanaya, the burial site of Muhammed's incisor that was broken in the Battle of Uhud.[9]
  • Mashrubat Umm Ibrahim, built to mark the location of the house where Muhammad’s son, Ibrahim, was born to Mariah.
  • Dome which served as a canopy over the Well of Zamzam.[18]
  • Bayt al-Ahzan of Sayyida Fatima, in Medina.[18]
  • House of Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq, in Medina.[18]
  • Mahhalla complex of Banu Hashim, in Medina.[18]
  • House of Ali where Hasan and Husayn were born.[18]

:lol: Awamist talking religion :rofl:

We will demolish all shrines, tombs, and cemeteries. There is nothing much you can do about it.

Well the building def looks ugly...no doubt there

I would like to ask this to the Arabs:

@al-Hasani @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa and others...

Do we go for haj to be humble (in 2 pieces of white clothes) or sign in at a 5-star ugly building and live lavishly? Makes absolutely no sense! They could build Mr. Ugly in Jeddah for all one cares!

Why can't we try to accommodate as much people as possible to make them all happy?

I do respect your opinion though.

Why can't we try to accommodate as much people as possible to make them all happy?

I do respect your opinion though.
I have no problem if they wanted to hotels...The problem is why an elaborate ugly looking thing? Did the people living in such a place (not to mention the cost) came to preform haj/ umrah and be humble or came to do the opposite? Isnt in Haram a commoner supposed to be equal to even a king...these large ugly stuff discriminate this and I am totally against that! You want comfort go out of Haram and do whatever you want! But at least be obedient and humble within!

I have no problem if they wanted to hotels...The problem is why an elaborate ugly looking thing? Did the people living in such a place (not to mention the cost) came to preform haj/ umrah and be humble or came to do the opposite? Isnt in Haram a commoner supposed to be equal to even a king...these large ugly stuff discriminate this and I am totally against that! You want comfort go out of Haram and do whatever you want! But at least be obedient and humble within!

1 - Hotels are less expensive than what you think. Any middle-income individual can afford it.

2 - These ugly buildings aren't meant to stay forever.

3 - These can of building, again, can take a far greater amount of people than what the surroundings of Meeca used to be. Therefore, this can make people feel happy, given the fact that their rooms are few steps away from the Masjid.

4 - The revenues of these projects will help many people in need here and there.

I have everything and a respect to your opinion.

Instead of tower and mall maybe they should have built a museum on islmic history and artifacts of heroes of islam.Mall is a bit crass.I don't think any holy city on earth has a gigantic mall right next to its sacred site.

and ignore the pilgrims? who are tiered after performing rituals and need hotel near by... from where they can come to the mecca 5 times a day!
Every one wish to have a room from where Kaaba is visible and nothing wrong with it.
Providing services and comfort to the pilgrims is deep entrenched in Islamic ideology.
In Quran it says 'Mushrakeen are the worst enemies of Muslims' Mushrik is a person who worship any thing else than one devine God/Allah!
Hence it doesn't matter what we Muslims do, you would always object it either way.

Let's explain it so even Bubblegum will understand.

People are not criticizing the TOWER, they are criticizing the POSITION of the tower.
The tower in its current location draws the attention as if its more significant thing. A fellow who returned from Hajj last year told me that he was thinking of praying upon the first sighting of Kaba during the entrance and instead he ended up looking at the tower unintentionally. :(

Back
Top Bottom