What's new

"Makkah and Madinah News and Updates"

Warning a bit long but might be interesting nevertheless for some

Ok, this might not have much to do with Makkah and Madinah as such but I am often asked by people that have not visited, Muslim as non-Muslim have the landscape looks not far from Makkah and in the regions of Hijaz that are not located far away from mainly Makkah.

Also how Makkah looks like as a city outside of the Masjid al-Haram and the neighborhoods around the Masjid al-Haram. Many do not know this but Makkah is one of the biggest cities in the ME and it is a very big city meaning that it is scattered across a large geographic area around the mountain hills and valleys. The majority of Makkah is basically located in a valley and many small villages and neighborhoods located many km from the center are part of Makkah.

Makkah is the hottest city in KSA and surrounded by mountains while lying in a valley which gives it a warmer climate than average in Hijaz due to the effects of the mountains and it's also located far enough away from the beautiful Red Sea (80 km) for that not to have an effect climate wise. Mainly due to the sheltering effect of the mountains. Unlike other major cities of Hijaz such as Al-Baha, Ta'if etc. it is not located 2000 meters above sea level or higher which makes it a very hot city unlike those cities and the hundreds of Hijazi villages located in the mountains.

Makkah together with Jeddah are one of the few major cities in KSA that retain their warm weather (basically summer weather) for nearly the entire year.

Many Makkawis venture out to Ta'if, Al-Baha etc. or the many mountain villages during the summer to cool off when Makkah
is a frying pan (LOL). Some also go to Jeddah which is located about 75 km from Makakh and is a coastal city next to the Red Sea which gives it a cooling effect although Jeddah is still hot during summer.

For instance this is how the terrain looks like a few km outside of Makkah:

5.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

13.jpg

4.jpg

For more photos below look below in the link:

The Mountains of Makkah | NidalM Photography

This is how it looks a bit further away from Makkah but still Hijaz:

Here is a little clip from Makkah:

Makakh is also one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the Muslim world and world overall. You have natives of various Arab origins from various regions and countries on the Arabian Peninsula and obviously Arab countries outside of the Arabian Peninsula such as Egypt, Levant, Iraq , Sudan etc. aside from the people of Central Asian, South Asian, South East Asian, African etc. origins. Or those from the remaining ME.

Many have mixed with each other by now. The local cuisine is influenced by all that and it shows in the food variety.

Makkawi people are in general a very proud people and welcoming and many families have dealt with pilgrims for thousands of years (Makkah was a sight for pilgrimage before Islam as well) and they are accustomed to pilgrims and foreigners.

A curiosity that confirms this is that the current gate keepers of the Kaaba held this position before Islam.
Here is more information for the people who can speak Arabic:

http://makkawi.com

Many other interesting videos below on this Youtube Channel but unfortunately it is only in Arabic.

makkawiTV - YouTube

Last edited:

Many other interesting videos below on this Youtube Channel but unfortunately it is only in Arabic.

makkawiTV - YouTube

Nevertheless, they are SUPERB videos! People don't know about the beauty found in Saudi Arabia. He is wearing the Hijazi colour, yellow, and speaking in Hijazi Arabic. masha Allah, very nice! It almost felt he was gonna rise and start singing a qasida

This is local culture in Jeddah, Makkawis

Before we go off-topic dear then I want you to introduce you to this deceased great cleric that was a family friend of our family and distant relative of my father.

Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The great Al-Sharif Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki.

He visited Pakaistan on several occasions.

From his funeral:

He is greatly missed by the locals.

A great representative of our faith. One of the best in our times undoubtedly.

I have talked about him in detail before.

Last edited:
Makkawi women ‘enrich the holy city’s history’

BjXD_fgIAAA2VOs.jpg:large

Makkah - 1907​
25 March 2014 - 24 Jumada Al-Awwal 1435

MAKKAH — The women of Makkah have played a significant role in the process of development through various ages and worked diligently to spread knowledge and enlightenment among the female members of society, according to a number of historians and anthropologists.

"Through the ages, Makkawi women have played a pivotal role in inculcating knowledge in their society," Abdullatif Bin Dihais, a historian, told Al-Watan newspaper on Sunday.

He said many Makkawi women had established themselves as Islamic scholars and experts in fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) and other branches of knowledge.

Hussain Shafie, professor of Islamic history at Umm Al-Qura University, said many Makkawi women had made their mark in the fields of Islamic subjects, education, arts, language, medicine and others.

He said Makkah is full of families who were famous for their impeccable knowledge in civilizations and religion. "Among others, these include the families of Bin Fahd, Al-Tabariyah and Al-Fasi," he said.

Shafie said many scholarly women in Makkah were teaching Qur'an, fiqh, tawheed (monotheism) and language in their own homes. He cited the names of famous women scholars in Makkah including Asia Bin Jar Allah Al-Tabariyah, Husna Bint Mohammed Bin Kamil, Umm Al-Khair Bint Abdul Qadir, Umm Kalthoum Bint Abdul Wahid, Umm Hani Bint Mohammed, Zainab Bint Ahmed, Zain Al-Sharaf Bint Abdul Qadir, Sayidat Al-Jamie Bint Abdul Qadir, Naseem Bint Mohammed and Kamaliyah Bint Mohammed.

"All these women were also narrators of the Prophet's (peace be upon him) Ahadith (prophetic teachings)," he said.

Faisal Al-Sharif, a professor of modern history, said Makkawi women have been playing a great role in society since the advent of Islam in the Arabian Peninsula.

He said Makkawi women were able to contribute to the spread of knowledge in society on an equal footing with men. "The Makkawi women were famous for their knowledge, intellectual and literary activities," he said.

Al-Sharif said the libraries in the Arab world contain many books written by the Makkawi women on various aspects of knowledge and religion. "The Makkawi women had always enriched the Haj and Umrah seasons through the knowledge they were determined to spread among pilgrims," he said.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...20140325199748

Before we go off-topic dear then I want you to introduce you to this deceased great cleric that was a family friend of our family and distant relative of my father.

Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The great Al-Sharif Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki.

He visited Pakaistan on several occasions.

From his funeral:

He is greatly missed by the locals.

A great representative of our faith. One of the best in our times undoubtedly.

I have talked about him in detail before.

I visited his grave daily before Maghrib

8ff9f3d0bb8411e39abd12c1b09be448_8.jpg

Well you have to follow with the time I guess!​

Makkah Museum

%D9%86%D8%B3%D8%AE%20%D9%85%D9%86%20%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%B6.JPG

527615_10150902908211608_176558199_n.jpg

92.jpg

72.jpg

140995_1373018131_7877.jpg

140996_1373018141_5876.jpg

140997_1373018150_3299.jpg

140998_1373018159_8410.jpg

148958_1381529362_8050.jpg

I went for Umrah last month. Makkah is in total mess literally. Not only expansion Of haram,,, but the construction within 3 KM radius of Haram,,, tearing down buildings,, creating new ones. Makkah is messy and dirty now a days.

Though good thing was,, AL BAIK Restaurant near Haram in some plaza... Finger licking food :D
That HARAM WIFI is not free. So most prefer using their GPRS.

I went for Umrah last month. Makkah is in total mess literally. Not only expansion Of haram,,, but the construction with 3 KM radius of Haram,,, tearing down buildings,, creating new ones. Makkah is messy and dirty now a days.

Yes, it is. Temporarily. The central neighborhoods are but the villages around Makkah, whether mountain villages or not are as they always used to be. Pilgrims usually don't see that much of Makkah but you can see this useful video below and probably recognize some areas.

But right now as mentioned in other threads it is a big construction place. A bit like other parts of KSA right now. But it is temporarily and such work will bring a lot of positives with it. Hopefully that is.

Yes, it is. Temporarily. The central neighborhoods are but the villages around Makkah, whether mountain villages or not are as they always used to be. Pilgrims usually don't see that much of Makkah but you can see this useful video below and probably recognize some areas.

But right now as mentioned in other threads it is a big construction place. A bit like other parts of KSA right now. But it is temporarily and such work will bring a lot of positives with it. Hopefully that is.

There wasn't many buildings infront of Jabal Thawr on my last visit. But now a whole neighborhood is residing there all with Haphazard buildings. Same with Jabal al-Nour area. Road expansion plus an increase in population around Jabal e noor.

Back
Top Bottom