What's new

Martyrdom in Hinduism

In Abrahamic faiths, a martyr attains heaven because he dies for his beliefs. In the Gita or in Hinduism there is no such concept. The chief antagonist in the Mahabharata - Duryodhan also attain heaven. When one of the Pandavas asked Krishna why that is - he was told that he has already served his time in Hell - he did good deeds in his lifetime as well.
The closest thing to "martyrdom" in the Indian/Hindu lexicon is "balidaan" - which means self-sacrifice - again this is done without expecting anything in return. For example, in the Mahabharat - the archer Karna sacrificed his life for friendship even though he knew he was fighting on the side of evil - I think one of the Kauravas too was in the same boat - if I am not mistaken his name was Vikarna.

The spirit of the Kuruskhetra warriors, the valor of the Rajput soldiers and the gallantry of the Rajbanshi chiefs have all been nullified and thrown into the gutter by introducing the Arthasastra in the various echelons of the Indian military and security forces.

Who told you that our forces learn Arthashastra in training academies?

In Abrahamic faiths, a martyr attains heaven because he dies for his beliefs. In the Gita or in Hinduism there is no such concept. The chief antagonist in the Mahabharata - Duryodhan also attain heaven. When one of the Pandavas asked Krishna why that is - he was told that he has already served his time in Hell - he did good deeds in his lifetime as well.
The closest thing to "martyrdom" in the Indian/Hindu lexicon is "balidaan" - which means self-sacrifice - again this is done without expecting anything in return. For example, in the Mahabharat - the archer Karna sacrificed his life for friendship even though he knew he was fighting on the side of evil - I think one of the Kauravas too was in the same boat - if I am not mistaken his name was Vikarna.

It is not something that those trained to think in black & white can easily comprehend. Hinduism is all about shades of grey, the "heroes" have their faults & the "villians" have their merits. There is no absolute ownership of either the good or the evil. Contrary to the notion put forward by a poster , Asuras & Devas were not always polar opposites & were certainly not seen as that for much of the early period. After all Varuna, the only one favoured by Prajapati witn the secrets of Rta was classified also as an Asura.

I read Arthasastra, I am not a pro in it but, people often think arthasastra as evil and some of the things described in it as immoral. Fact is Chanakya revealed the ugly side frankly.
I doubt you have studied this, or was taught in any of the institutions.

How many Indians on this thread believe in rebirth in this world??

In Abrahamic faiths, a martyr attains heaven because he dies for his beliefs. .

Correction needed : In ,my faith dying while saving human is also martyrdom, fighting against the evil is also martyrdom, dying while helping the oppressed is also martyrdom, dying in self-defence when you are innocent is also martyrdom. dying for beliefs is not the only degree

In Abrahamic faiths, a martyr attains heaven because he dies for his beliefs. .

Correction needed : In ,my faith dying while saving human is also martyrdom, fighting against the evil is also martyrdom, dying while helping the oppressed is also martyrdom, dying in self-defence when you are innocent is also martyrdom. dying for beliefs is not the only degree

I do read religious texts particularly related. to Hinduism, but for me to believe in any of them has to based on reasoning and facts.

But lot of scientific advancements happened during 16th century on wards after Europeans came to India points to the fact, that western thought evolved from Hindu texts.

Regarding atom,earth and related evolution etc....etc...

Apart from that I like the way the battles and wars took place in Mahabharata ,Ramayana and the events which help and guide people.

Regarding martyrdom , a guy will be given entry into heaven based on his karma. I am a firm believer of principle of karma.

Actually when you are binding this "Dharma" to a written set of rules then you proving Hinduism to be similar to Abrahamic religions. According to Vedas, the "Dharma" is defined by the "yug" that you are living in. One thing may be "Dharmic" in one yug and could be "Adharmic" in another. So Hinduism is more of a directive principles rather than laws and are not binding.

Other than that, Hinduism promotes a person to go out and seek the truth himself/herself and define his own paths. The concept of attaining "Gyan" is nowhere to be found in any religion. The "Aghoris", one of the sect of shaiviks beliefs, practice all kinds of acts and rituals to attain this "Gyan", which includes things like eating half burnt pyres, feces and even menstrual fluids. The concept of animal sacrifice is also followed, they drink, eat meat, they fornicate with anyone and yet they are considered one of the most devout practitioners of Hindu religion.

So you can never define Hinduism with just vedas and upanishads. The structure of hinduism is such that it can assimilate anything. And as rightly pointed out the Supreme Court on India .. its more of a way of living than a religion defined by a book.

LOL. Wrong again.

I am not binding Dharma to anything :lol:....it is Hinduism which does.

1. The very nature of Dharma and what is Dharmic is defined in Hindu scriptures. It also defines what is 'Adharma'. The concept of Darhma is incomplete without defining what is Adharma. Otherwise everything becomes Dharma e.g Rape and Murder too. :disagree:

2. Nowhere in the Vedas does Dharma gets defined by the Yug. Only the number of practitioners of Dharma in the world changes during the Yuga.

3. The whole nonsense of 'directive principles' being binding or non binding is ridiculous :lol:. The law is binding on all Indian citizens, but when they break the law and commit murder, it does not strip him of Indian citizenship. Similarly just because you practice or do not practice Dharma does not make it any less binding. Practice of Dharma is very much binding on anyone who is a Hindu.

4. Hinduism does encourage people to seek truth and their own path - Within the Folds of Dharma. You cannot seek the path to 'enlightment' by pursuing Rape, Murder, Arson etc. :disagree: Do you even realize how absurd your argument sound ? But ALL paths needs to adhere to Dharma.

5. Half knowledge of the Aghori practices is a dangerous thing. To claim things about them without knowing the fundamentals of their path is only going to propel you further into ignorance.

6. Hinduism is very much defined by the Vedas, the Sruti, Smriti, Upanishads, puranas, shastras and Samhitas. It is open to new ideas that are in line with the Dharmic understanding and the Dharmic way of life. You cannot start murdering 100 people and say that you have invented a new path in Hinduism :lol: ....all paths have to be within the Dharmic fold.

7. You are wrong about what the SC said. Again half knowledge is a dangerous thing. SC spoke about Hindutva not Hinduism :lol: ....even the SC knows that it is not a competent authority to define Hinduism.

8. If you observe, EVERYTHING you have said is WRONG. Funny that you got thanked by another hindu for talking absolute nonsense. just goes to show how much Hinduism has disappeared from India.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It is not something that those trained to think in black & white can easily comprehend. Hinduism is all about shades of grey, the "heroes" have their faults & the "villians" have their merits. There is no absolute ownership of either the good or the evil. Contrary to the notion put forward by a poster , Asuras & Devas were not always polar opposites & were certainly not seen as that for much of the early period. After all Varuna, the only one favoured by Prajapati witn the secrets of Rta was classified also as an Asura.

No one here, including me, has spoken of Asura & Deva being the opposite. That is a stawman argument. Asura's were those who practiced Asura Vitta which was Adharmic.

If you want to start a thread on the history of hinduism then it is better to start a new thread. I am talking about the practice.

No one here, including me, has spoken of Asura & Deva being the opposite. That is a stawman argument. Asura's were those who practiced Asura Vitta which was Adharmic.

If you want to start a thread on the history of hinduism then it is better to start a new thread. I am talking about the practice.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/115518-martyrdom-hinduism-3.html#ixzz02sI5qSHG
The point is who defines who is which? For a asura the opposite side might look evil . What if U were brought by an asura and made to believe the Deva's were evil?

The point is who defines who is which? For a asura the opposite side might look evil . What if U were brought by an asura and made to believe the Deva's were evil?

Are you aware of the story of Hiranyakashipu, Prahalada and Narasimha Avatar ? Prahalada was born and brought up by an Asura and was told to believe the Deva's were evil.

Why do you think Hindus celebrate the festival of 'Holi' ?

For a Hindu, Hindu scriptures define what is Dharam and what is Adarma. You don't want to believe it as it does not agree with your choice of Lifestyle, don't be a Hindu. Become a christian or muslim or anything else.

But if you chose to believe in any Dharmic Religion then you have no choice but follow Dharma.

Who told you that our forces learn Arthashastra in training academies?

I am telling you. Senior civil and military officers are taught the Arthasastra as part of the curriculum. The Arthasastra enshrines Hindu India's doctrine. Even otherwise this and the Kamasutra have become almost scriptures so that most children get to read these, and most homes keep these.

Just to set matters straight, are you aware of what a Dharm Sankat is ?

It is when a person has to choose between what is profitable to him and what is Dharma. When you have to choose between your personal honor and honoring Dharma.

All those who chose to fight on the side of the Kaurava had to make that choice. They chose personal honor, personal oath, personal feelings to over ride what was the right thing to do, protect and serve Dharma.

The Mahabharat war was fought to protect Dharma and was between those who chose for fight for Dharma and those who chose to fight against Dharam for their own reasons.

Vikarna was wrong to choose the side of Kaurava when Dharma clearly stated that the Kauravas were wrong. That is the moral of the story.

The one of the purpose of the story of Mahabharata is to teach what side to choose when faced with a Dharm sankat. Its a choice the Nazi's had to make during WW2, only they did not have Hinduism to guide them. You do.

I am telling you. Senior civil and military officers are taught the Arthasastra as part of the curriculum. The Arthasastra enshrines Hindu India's doctrine. Even otherwise this and the Kamasutra have become almost scriptures so that most children get to read these, and most homes keep these.

I wish that was true mate. :ashamed:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom