What's new

Malala Yousafzai leaves Jon Stewart speechless on Daily Show

Here's The Moment When Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai Left Jon Stewart Speechless
Dina SpectorComedy Central

View attachment e4e41f23fd7eff512f2295942d8d89db.png
Yousafzai left Jon Stewart speechless during an appearance on the Daily Show last year.

Malala Yousafzai, 17, won the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, along with India children's rights activist Kailash Satyarthi, 60, for "their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education."

Yousafzai first caught the media's attention at the age of 14, after she was shot in the head by a Taliban fighter for criticizing the organization's tactics.

The young women's rights activist, who was favored to win the peace prize last year, memorably left Jon Stewart speechless during an interview on the Daily Show, a few days before the 2013 awards were announced.

Stewart asked Yousafzai how she reacted after learning that the Taliban wanted her dead. "Her answer was absolutely remarkable," Business Insider reporter Brian Jones said at the time.

Here's the response:

I started thinking about that, and I used to think that the Talib would come, and he would just kill me. But then I said, 'If he comes, what would you do Malala?' then I would reply to myself, 'Malala, just take a shoe and hit him.' But then I said, 'If you hit a Talib with your shoe, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others with cruelty and that much harshly, you must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education.' Then I said I will tell him how important education is and that 'I even want education for your children as well.' And I will tell him, 'That's what I want to tell you, now do what you want.'

Watch the full segment below, her answer starts around the 4:20 mark:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old thread, but became relevant again. :)

@levina @nair @seiko @scorpionx

Here's The Moment When Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai Left Jon Stewart Speechless
Dina SpectorComedy Central

View attachment 130777
Yousafzai left Jon Stewart speechless during an appearance on the Daily Show last year.

Malala Yousafzai, 17, won the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, along with India children's rights activist Kailash Satyarthi, 60, for "their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education."

Yousafzai first caught the media's attention at the age of 14, after she was shot in the head by a Taliban fighter for criticizing the organization's tactics.

The young women's rights activist, who was favored to win the peace prize last year, memorably left Jon Stewart speechless during an interview on the Daily Show, a few days before the 2013 awards were announced.

Stewart asked Yousafzai how she reacted after learning that the Taliban wanted her dead. "Her answer was absolutely remarkable," Business Insider reporter Brian Jones said at the time.

Here's the response:

I started thinking about that, and I used to think that the Talib would come, and he would just kill me. But then I said, 'If he comes, what would you do Malala?' then I would reply to myself, 'Malala, just take a shoe and hit him.' But then I said, 'If you hit a Talib with your shoe, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others with cruelty and that much harshly, you must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education.' Then I said I will tell him how important education is and that 'I even want education for your children as well.' And I will tell him, 'That's what I want to tell you, now do what you want.'

Watch the full segment below, her answer starts around the 4:20 mark:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old thread, but became relevant again. :)

@levina @nair @seiko @scorpionx
And this gal is called a CIA agent??

I'm so glad that the new generation has the wisdom to differentiate right from worng and stand up against the atrocities.
Kudos to this gal and her spunk.

And this gal is called a CIA agent??

I'm so glad that the new generation has the wisdom to differentiate right from worng and stand up against the atrocities.
Kudos to this gal and her spunk.

But many of the new generation also calling her a CIA agent, western stooge, anti-Pakistan & abuser of Islam!! o_O

But many of the new generation also calling her a CIA agent, western stooge, anti-Pakistan & abuser of Islam!! o_O

I agree but you can't get rid of 40 years of filth in 4 years. The fact that there are millions of youngsters in Pakistan like Malala is testament to the greatness of the people of Pakistan, that even after so much brain washing by bigots and charlatans, they are fair minded and open.

I agree but you can't get rid of 40 years of filth in 4 years. The fact that there are millions of youngsters in Pakistan like Malala is testament to the greatness of the people of Pakistan, that even after so much brain washing by bigots and charlatans, they are fair minded and open.

You are 100% right.

Even a blind man can see that Pakistan was far better place to live before the usurper Zia. In an effort to make us better Muslims, Zia and his followers have turned Pakistan into a nest of intolerance where both Sunnis & Shias are target killed every day for no other reason than being born into a different sect.

In our country cold blooded killers such as Qadri are celebrated as heroes and bright young school girls are shot because they want to be educated. Bigoted political leaders call TTP scums Shaheed but not the jawans of Pakistan Army who die defending their country!

You can see by some of the posts about Malala by the extremist lovers in this forum. For such terrorism supporters, Afia Siddiqui; who divorced her husband to marry a known terrorist; is a role model and Nobel Peace Laureate Malala Yusufzai despised as agent of the West!

But of course people like me as well as rest of the world is wrong, only OBL, Mulla Omer , Sufi Mohammed and leader of the ISIS who beheads all those who disagree with him are on the right path.

It would indeed take a very long time to get rid of this extremist loving mind-set.

Last edited:
A very poignant article about the bigotry and narrow mindedness that has poisoned Pakistani society since the usurper Zia uL Haq era:

Nadir Hassan
Thursday, October 16, 2014
From Print Edition

108 13 69 1

10-16-2014_278586_l_akb.jpg
Let it be said at the outset that Malala didn’t need the Nobel Peace Prize for validation. Rather it was the Nobel Committee, its reputation reeling from bestowing honours on villains, scoundrels and the irrelevant, which needed the credibility of being associated with Malala.

The only benefit Malala gets from further international recognition is yet another stage to demonstrate that public displays of commonsense require immense courage and bravery – qualities most of us are deficient in.

At least Malala has the virtue of having earned the prize, even if the award itself is irrevocably tainted because of its previous victors. The only claim we as a country can have on the award is that we created the conditions for her heroism. She was repeatedly let down by the country. First, by a state that was unable to guarantee her right to an education and then her right to live.

The Taliban, in taking over Swat, closing down girls schools and, in a final cruel stroke, handing its leadership to the man who ordered the hit on Malala, deserve much of the blame for demonising an innocent girl. But we are a diverse country and so Malala-haters come in many hues and shades.

The Taliban at least has the dubious honour of being honest in its hate. It admits it tried to kill Malala and has vowed to keep trying if they ever get their hands on her again. Others are disingenuous in their opposition to her. High on the rogue’s gallery are the conspiracy theorists. These self-styled truth-tellers claim not to be opposed to Malala per se; they just want the facts out there.

The facts, according to them, are anything but the most obvious explanation. Malala faked the shooting because there is no way trained assassins would miss their target at point-blank range. The CIA – substitute with villainous intelligence agency of your choice – was behind it to defame Pakistan’s sterling reputation. These are exactly the kind of people who deny the Holocaust but would be the first to volunteer their services to wiping out the Jews should the opportunity arise.

Another subset of Malala hatred uses condescending misogyny to signal their opposition to the Nobel Laureate. She is a mere teenager, they say, unable to think and speak for herself. She is being given her cues by her ambitious and wily father, who is using his daughter for fame and riches. They may acknowledge that Malala was shot but their interpretation ends up robbing her of any agency and signalling that her father, rather than the TTP, is to blame for her plight.

Since the Nobel announcement was made, there has been a surge in people trying to discredit Malala on social media. Not surprisingly, many claim allegiance to the PTI. The online Insafian warriors have spread a fabricated quote where Malala is supposed to have insulted Islam. To ignore all her speeches and writings and instead pinpoint something from a dubious source that contradicts everything she has ever said shows that the anti-Malala view was already rotting their brains; they just needed to pounce on something to make it legitimate.

It needs to be said that the PTI leadership has not done the same to Malala but it is not faultless either since, whether out of sincere belief or opportunism, Imran Khan encourages such hate and exclusion.

In the excitement of his jalsas, Imran said he would make Atif Mian, a rising star in the field of economics who is a professor at Princeton University, his finance minister. Then Imran found out that Atif made the disqualifying mistake of being born an Ahmadi and took back his offer. An academic being shunned because of his faith is eerily reminiscent of our first Nobel Laureate.

A new category of disingenuous Malala-haters emerged after she won her prize. Their line of attack is the ‘but-what-about’ argument. Sure, Malala is great and all but doesn’t Edhi deserve it more? This wearisome debate can be hard to rebut because there are thousands of people around the world who bravely toil in obscurity, making the lives of those around them better. Many people ‘deserve’ an award but the Nobel Peace Prize is given once a year and this one time it was given to a deserving candidate.

That Malala received the award, it should go without saying, is not a slight on Edhi or any of the other countless heroes in the world. This ‘what-about’ debate can be fun when bemoaning Oscar nominations; using it to pit heroes against each other only shows contempt for Malala and her considerable accomplishments.

After the Malala hatred we have had those who went on the defensive and immediately claimed that not everyone in Pakistan is a Malala-hater. It should go without saying that these people do not represent all, or even a majority of Pakistan.

But that we even need to discuss what percentage of a country hates a girl who was shot in the head for wanting an education for herself and her peers says everything there is about the state of the country today.

The writer is a journalist based in Karachi. Email: nadir.hassan@gmail.com
The Malala-haters - Nadir Hassan

Back
Top Bottom