What's new

Make In India - Fighter Jet musings - News, Developments, Updates - F16,F18, Gripen, Any other

He is not pushing indigenous products hard enough

DM tried his best and pushed IAF to accept MK1. It is HAL which is not pulling up the socks and delivering the goods.

For now they have stopped at 36.

True but RAFALEs do not replace MIG-21, Jagaurs. F-16s would be replacing them.

The RAFALE MII deal would pick up speed after F-16 & Super Sukhoi deals are done.

India needs to prioritize the financing.

Last edited:
Do you want to retain the tag of the world's largest "arms importer"?

Its not in my hands or parrikar's hand. The LCA suffered uninspired leadership during the UPA time and that is 10 years lost that cannot be claimed back.

Wishful thinking is not reality.

Without the FOC, its too late for India to buy more Tejas to replace the Mig 21. The only alternative is foreign MII till the LCA program is brought back to track again.

Its not in my hands or parrikar's hand. The LCA suffered uninspired leadership during the UPA time and that is 10 years lost that cannot be claimed back.

Wishful thinking is not reality.

Without the FOC, its too late for India to buy more Tejas to replace the Mig 21. The only alternative is foreign MII till the LCA program is brought back to track again.

HAL is a govt company, what is stopping him to force HAL to accelerate the production by outsourcing it to Pvt players

HAL is a govt company, what is stopping him to force HAL to accelerate the production by outsourcing it to Pvt players

1. Lack of Incentive due to low customer interest.
2. Lack of FOC clearance by Design agency

If its so great, why don't the private player jump in and promise to produce it for IAF ?

No more responsibilities will be given to HAL, the recent deal for the offset between Dassault and Reliance is a clear indication for that. Because of HAL, the Rafale deal was backtracked and delayed for over 2 years.
Reliance what they are doing?

Production for F-16s in India would start earlier than 2020. The main delay is from India. LM is slated to start F-35 production full steam in 2019. Expect F-16 Indian line in 2018.

Logistics nightmare is an unfounded concern.

IAF has procured and maintained the following in the recent past

SU-30MKI - 300
MIG-29 - 70
Mirage 2K - 40
MIG-21 - 250
Jaguar - 145
MIG -27 - 120

Now by 2025, IAF would have

Super Sukhois - 300
RAFALEs -126
F-16s -200

MIG-29 & Mirage 2K would be getting ready for retirement by 2030 and India would start procuring FGFA and Gripen (LCA Tejas MK2) from 2024

These are not rumors. We will see a F-16 Indian line by 2018.

200+ F-16s
No F-18s
Gripen would be a JV to replace LCA MK2.

So no more LCA program? 200+ F-16s sounds good to me but I am sure F-18s will be there as INs new carrier might have catapult launch systems in it. May be Americans might impress IAF with F-15SE capability too.

Reliance what they are doing?

They will be responsible for the offset deal for maintenance of Rafales along with Dassault. Eventually Reliance will take over the responsibility of manufacturing/assembling/maintenance Rafales.

FYI, Reliance is also getting the contract for S-400 missiles manufacturing in India.

So no more LCA program? 200+ F-16s sounds good to me but I am sure F-18s will be there as INs new carrier might have catapult launch systems in it. May be Americans might impress IAF with F-15SE capability too.

There will be LCA, but not as a frontline fighter, but as a frontline interceptor, and light multirole.

I also have a doubt that IAF might not go for F-16s and May choose some other fighter like Grippen.

Then it will be a clear chance for PAF to get their remaining 12 F-16s and also to order 32 new Block-52s.

I am sure PAF is working on getting 45 Jordanian F-16s and these 45+16 previously inducted machines might go through V-upgrade program in Turkey.

Get a grip dude, 200 F-16s! That too by 2024? :hitwall:
Stop living in parallel universe and when making assumptions quote official sources.

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/dassault-rafale-tender-news-discussions-thread-2.230070/page-407#ixzz4O3QOAfWr

Well LM's Texas plant had a peak production of one F-16 fighter per day.

The last F-16s would rollout of the LM's TX plant in OCT-2017 and the LM's TX plant plans to focus on F-35 production starting 2019.

The TX production line would be moved to India in 2018. That gives 6 years to produce 200 fighters which is easily achievable for LM.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom