What's new

Mahindra Aerospace's civilian plane NM5 may fly by Diwali

acetophenol

Reaction score
Country
India
Mahindra Aerospace, a subsidiary of auto major Mahindra & Mahindra, has said it is looking towards launching its first aircraft NM5 in the next six
weeks, besides commissioning its upcoming airframe unit in Bangalore by June 2012.
"If everything goes well and according to our plan, we will be able to launch the five-seater NM5 aircraft developed in association with the National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) as early as within the next six weeks," Mahindra Systech President Hemant Luthra told a select media gathering here yesterday.
Mahindra Systech is the holding company of Mahindra Aerospace. The NM5 is India's first indigenously developed civilian aircraft by a private entity, and will cost anywhere between USD 350,000 and 400,000 (around Rs 1.6-1.8 crore), which is roughly the price of a Ferrari. A prototype of the plane is in the final stage of testing, Luthra said.
"Now all depends on the confidence of the test pilot." Mahindra Aerospace is an equal venture between the Mahindras and NAL, a Bangalore-based Government institution. Commercial production of the NM5 is expected to begin at Mahindra Aerospace's under-construction airframe in Bangalore
after the plane is tested.
The development cost of NM5 is USD 10-15 million (Rs 45-68 crore), which is considered low by industry standards, said Luthra, adding he expects to sell around 75-100 planes per annum from the fifth year of commercial production. Mahindra Aerospace, which recently acquired two Australian firms, is working on manufacturing eight-and ten- seater aircraft - GA8 and GA10 - at its Bangalore facility, which is expected to be operational by 2012.
However, Luthra said manufacturing is expected to start at the Bangalore plant only by 2014 as some approvals remain to be taken. "Till then we will continue to produce our planes from our GippsAero plant in Australian." He said the company is keen to export these planes to China. "We already have orders for around 20 planes from a Chinese who is into leasing of planes. But we will not enter into licensed deal with him in the beginning," Luthra said,
without attributing specific reasons for the same.
On the Rs 300-crore airframe unit in Bangalore, he said, "the civil contracts have already been awarded and the full-fledged aeroplane bodyshop should be up and running by June 2012." "Though we want to make the Bangalore unit to be a full-fledged aircraft manufacturing facility, to begin with, we will only be able to do manufacture certain body frame components. As and when we start production, that would make us the first private company to design and develop a general aviation aircraft in the country," Luthra said.
Mahindra Aerospace had in December 2008 tied up with NAL to produce a general aviation aircraft. The NAL had successfully developed the Hansa and Saras aircraft. This is the first public-private joint venture in the aircraft design in the country.
The deal also involves developing a 70-seater regional
transport aircraft (RTA-70), besides a 50-90-seater turboprop
and turbetan family.

the mahindra aerospace also directly supply the assembly lines of the Boeing 737, Gulfstream G150, and the world’s most advanced fighter aircraft, the Lockheed-Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

Mahindra aerospace should be utilized by Indian MOD as a company to design fighters and manufacture them, NAL should be combined with Mahindra while ADA should be combined with HAL, and both should be privatized

NAL also has future airliner project i believe the Indian aerospace industry is sure moving forward :)

HAL is waaaay ahead of NAL in terms of producing state of the art aircraft.NAL should undertake such projects with Private companies to tap into the civilian aircraft market and then enter into the military market with military transport aircraft and look to end HAL's monopoly over defence deals:)

HAL is waaaay ahead of NAL in terms of producing state of the art aircraft.NAL should undertake such projects with Private companies to tap into the civilian aircraft market and then enter into the military market with military transport aircraft and look to end HAL's monopoly over defence deals:)

HAL can design helicopters but not its own fighters LCA was made by ADA, therefore ADA and HAL should merge i guess NAL and Mahindra could merge and serve the civilian market but producing trainers like Hansa and light transport aircraft like Saras for IAF IN etc is not bad option either

Mergers are not even on the table!
And I said 'producing'.HAL can produce 10 Jet fighters(Tejas,which has 45% composites by total mass) per annum while NAL is trying to get Saras right for the last decade!HAL also ranks in the top 100 Aerospace companies in the world(Ranked 36)!
As far as M&M goes,they have the advantage being private entities and hence do not have to face bureaucratic hurdles and running from pillar to post to get anything sanctioned or promote based upon experience and not upon Intelligence/creativity!

Mergers are not even on the table!
And I said 'producing'.HAL can produce 10 Jet fighters(Tejas,which has 45% composites by total mass) per annum while NAL is trying to get Saras right for the last decade!HAL also ranks in the top 100 Aerospace companies in the world(Ranked 36)!
As far as M&M goes,they have the advantage being private entities and hence do not have to face bureaucratic hurdles and running from pillar to post to get anything sanctioned or promote based upon experience and not upon Intelligence/creativity!

my friend if you want a proficient aerospace industry you need good companies like Sukhoi Boeing Northtrop etc India has all that the good engineers manpower etc its just located at the wrong spot merging aerospace labs/companies means sharing of experience/R&D/expertise look at mcdonnel douglas it became Boeing

India has the building blocks but unfortunately the blocks are misplaced

^^^That is true in your country but not here!
HAL and NAL are PSU's and not private companies to decide their own fate.But I understand your point but in reality it is different.In the coming years,the private majors will take over defence deals as they are much much faster than PSU's.
E.g-TATA is already building certain structures for Sikorsky and they are producing warship building steel etc.

^^^That is true in your country but not here!
HAL and NAL are PSU's and not private companies to decide their own fate.But I understand your point but in reality it is different.In the coming years,the private majors will take over defence deals as they are much much faster than PSU's.
E.g-TATA is already building certain structures for Sikorsky and they are producing warship building steel etc.

my friend i am half Indian i care for both Russia and India, the ADA is what in Russia would be called a OKB or a design bureau it should be the design bureau for HAL because it designed LCA and will design the AMCA HAL experience in helicopter designing and trainers along with ADA experience in designing trainers will pay off if merged together it could become like Sukhoi and it could still be state run company like Sukhoi is

what happened to Saras? scrapped? NAL keeps on building prototype that never materialize. learn from HAL/ADA/ISRO also lately DRDO are having successes. NAL ? privatise NAL and sell it to Mahindra.. they will handle it well.

what happened to Saras? scrapped? NAL keeps on building prototype that never materialize. learn from HAL/ADA/ISRO also lately DRDO are having successes. NAL ? privatise NAL and sell it to Mahindra.. they will handle it well.

it should be delivered to AF in 2-3 years i believe, and yes i agree with the last part merging NAL with Mahindra means it could become a company similar to Embraer making civilian aircraft and trainers for the IAF, at the same time ADA and HAL should be merged together ADA being the design bureau HAL being the manufacturing giant (with helicopter designing capability)

Back
Top Bottom