'Mahatma Gandhi is my hero', says Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
'Mahatma Gandhi is my hero', says Obama- Hindustan Times

US President Barack Obama has said given a chance he would like to have dinner with Mahatma Gandhi, whom he considered a real hero.

Obama expressed his desire in response to a question from a student Lilly during his discussion with 9th graders at Wakefield High School in Arlington Virginia where he accompanied with the Education Secretary gave a national speech welcoming students back to school.

Obama called for students to take responsibility and to learn from their failures so that they succeed in the end.

"Hi. I'm Lilly. And if you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?," Obama was asked by one of the students.

"Dinner with anyone dead or alive? Well, you know, dead or alive, that's a pretty big list," Obama responded amidst laughter. The next moment he was serious.

"You know, I think that it might be Gandhi, who is a real hero of mine," Obama said. "Now, it would probably be a really small meal because he didn't eat a lot," he said amidst laughter. But Mahatma Gandhi is someone who has inspired people across the world for the past several generations, he said.

Terming the iconic figure as the source of inspiration for many, Obama said "he (Mahatma Gandhi) is somebody whom I find a lot of inspiration in. He inspired Dr King (Martin Luther), so if it hadn't been for the non-violent movement in India, you might not have seen the same non-violent movement for civil rights here in the United States." said.

Uncle Sam wants your money
he will say/do any thing to get it.

They did it once with east india company,
they will find one more way to do it again.

This is the truth.

One weakness Indians have is they like to be praised and shun criticism. To know one's own weakness and to guard against it is important.

Jai Hind my Indian friends.

This is the truth.

One weakness Indians have is they like to be praised and shun criticism. To know one's own weakness and to guard against it is important.

Jai Hind my Indian friends.

it's not a problem with just the Indians...appreciation is always welcomed.Mahatma Gandhi is appreciated by many Chinese and Pakistanis as well....and in fact world over just as there are people in India who swear by the teachings of chairman Mao...
great people are immortalized by those who remember what they did.

Famous personalities influenced by Gandhi- Hindustan Times

* Leaders of the civil rights movement in the United States, Martin Luther King and James Lawson, drew from the writings of Gandhi in the development of their own theories about non-violence.

* Anti-apartheid activist and former President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, was inspired by Gandhi.

* Albert Einstein once called Gandhi "a role model for the generations to come" in a letter writing about him.

* British musician John Lennon referred to Gandhi as an influence on his music.

* Former US Vice-President and environmentalist Al Gore also acknowledges Gandhi's influence on him.

* Prior to his becoming the President of the United States, then-Senator Barack Obama noted that: "Throughout my life, I have always looked to Mahatma Gandhi as an inspiration, because he embodies the kind of transformational change that can be made when ordinary people come together to do extraordinary things. That is why his portrait hangs in my Senate office: to remind me that real results will come not just from Washington – they will come from the people."

* Amongst other world leaders who found inspiration and hope in Gandhi and his works include Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi and Philippine leader Benigno Aquino, Jr.

Uncle Sam had nothing to do with East India Co, it was the brits.

Famous personalities influenced by Gandhi- Hindustan Times

* Leaders of the civil rights movement in the United States, Martin Luther King and James Lawson, drew from the writings of Gandhi in the development of their own theories about non-violence.

* Anti-apartheid activist and former President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, was inspired by Gandhi.

* Albert Einstein once called Gandhi "a role model for the generations to come" in a letter writing about him.

* British musician John Lennon referred to Gandhi as an influence on his music.

* Former US Vice-President and environmentalist Al Gore also acknowledges Gandhi's influence on him.

* Prior to his becoming the President of the United States, then-Senator Barack Obama noted that: "Throughout my life, I have always looked to Mahatma Gandhi as an inspiration, because he embodies the kind of transformational change that can be made when ordinary people come together to do extraordinary things. That is why his portrait hangs in my Senate office: to remind me that real results will come not just from Washington – they will come from the people."

* Amongst other world leaders who found inspiration and hope in Gandhi and his works include Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi and Philippine leader Benigno Aquino, Jr.

Gandhi wrote letters to Hilter and called his friend. He also told him that he admired him and gave him advice on how ot deal with the British. He told him that “friend” was not just a salutation, but he really meant it. He advised the Jews to commit mass suicide.

“We have no doubt about your bravery or devotion to your fatherland, nor do we believe that you are the monster described by your opponents.” Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi of India to Adolph Hitler of Germany

Mohandas Gandhi described an African tribe as “Only a degree removed from the animal.” Also, “Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized – the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live almost like animals.” – Mar. 7, 1908 (Reference: CWMG, Vol VIII, pp. 135-136) Mohandas Gandhi’s description of black inmates. [Kaffirs are a tribe in South Africa]

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/1939585goodquote0.jpg/:rofl:

Mahatma Gandhi:Hypocrite .
*His racist attitudes toward blacks and whites was somewhat well known.
*He deferred to the Nazis.
*August 1942,Gandhi and his wife,Kasturba were imprisoned by the British.
She developed bronchial pneumonia,her son,Devadas wanted her to take
penicillin,Gandhi refused it.He insisted that she use traditional remedies,like
water from the Ganges river.
*He is quoted in "The Life And Death Of Mahatma Gandhi,"on Feb 19,1944:
"If God wills it,he will pull her through."
The book "Gandhi:A Life,quotes him further:"You cannot cure your mother now,no matter what wonder drugs you may muster.She is in God's hands now."
*After 3 days,Devadas still wanted penicillin for his dying mother,Gandhi again
refused it for his wife."Why don't you trust God?" he asked his son.
His wife ,and mother of his children died on that very day.
*He told one of the doctors that it wouldn't have worked anyways.And that allowing
it "Would have meant the bankruptcy of my faith."
*No less than three weeks later,Gandhi came down with a wicked case of malaria,
he took the drug quinine,and quickly recovered. :blah::blah:

^^^^

Sir, Kindly explain how it is remotely connected to the topic?? :coffee:

Sure thing is this what obama wants to become?

Sir, Obama might admire multiple persons for their respective qualities/skills. Should I assume that he is suffering from a multiple dissociative identity disorder?:chilli:

BTW, I am yet to figure out how your post is related to topic?

Sir, Obama might admire multiple persons for their respective qualities/skills. Should I assume that he is suffering from a multiple dissociative identity disorder?:chilli:

BTW, I am yet to figure out how your post is related to topic?

OK simple if this was to publish in USA newspaper that Gandhi let his wife died cause he did not want her to take medicine and took the same medicine to help him self or he wrote letters to Hitler on how to kill British what do U think will happen to any leader in western world

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Beware of Trolls.

Prove me wrong

OK simple if this was to publish in USA newspaper that Gandhi let his wife died cause he did not want her to take medicine and took the same medicine to help him self or he wrote letters to Hitler on how to kill British what do U think will happen to any leader in western world

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Prove me wrong

There is no need to prove any tom dick and whoever wrong. Gandhi is what he is because of his actions which far more knowledgable people than you have understood for a far more longer period of time. Any one can pick up bits of information out of context and twist it to suit his version of history. How ever since you seem to be hell bent on denouncing him as a person, no one can make you understand so best of luck with your ignorance. :wave:

Btw I do hope these gems of information of yours isnt standard on texts of Pakistani schools.

I repeat again....Please post something which could be related to topic. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom