What's new

Made in India, faked in China- $5bn loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

rai_kamal

BANNED
Reaction score
New Delhi: Chinese manufacturers are increasingly "faking" popular Indian products of consumer goods giants such as Dabur and ITC, undermining the legitimacy of brands and causing losses worth as much as $5 billion annually, officials said.

"A lot of counterfeit Dabur products are made in China. We have conducted at least 20 raids in China but no proper action has been taken by the Chinese," said Ashok Jain, general manager of finance at Dabur India, the country's fourth largest FMCG firm.

He said such fake products manufactured in China with "Made-in-India" tag are supplied across the world, mostly in India and African countries.

"It causes huge damage to the brand. Those fake products are obviously not up to our standards and supplied at very low prices," Jain told IANS.

Dabur, which has nearly $4 billion market capitalisation, operates in key consumer product categories like healthcare, skin care, hair care and oral care. The company's revenue last fiscal was $910 million.

Pradeep Dixit, a senior official of ITC, a $33-billion conglomerate, said the popular FMCG brands of the company were counterfeited by unscrupulous firms and supplied in domestic as well as foreign markets.

"Our popular cigarette brand is faked and supplied widely in the states like Chhattisgarh, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh," he said.

"China is a big problem everybody is facing," said S.K. Goel, chairman of the Central Board of Excise and Customs, told IANS.

Goel said the big international brands like Nokia, Adidas, Reebok and Nivea were also widely counterfeited in China and supplied in India and other parts of the world.

Chinese manufacturers are also faking drugs, endangering lives of patients:angry:. Fake drugs, carrying " Made in India" tags:tdown:, supplied from China were recently detained in Nigeria and other African countries.

K.K. Vyas, Delhi's deputy commissioner of police (crime), said the police have seized and confiscated a lot of fake and counterfeited products of popular brands in the national capital recently.

Vyas emphasised on the need for enhancing punishment for unscrupulous manufacturers and importers. "Punishment needs to be enhanced. Also there is need that judiciary addresses these issues quickly."

"Counterfeiting is a big menace. It is hurting everybody - consumers, industry and the exchequer," said Anil Rajput, chairman of the anti-smuggling and anti-counterfeiting committee of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).

Recently, FICCI formed a panel called "FICCI-Cascade" that expands into a committee on anti-smuggling and counterfeiting activities destroying the economy. Chaired by Rajput, the committee is working closely with the government to curb this menace.

According to a report by think tank Indiaforensic Research Foundation, the total loss to the economy annually due to crimes such as counterfeiting, commercial fraud, smuggling, drug trafficking, bank fraud, tax evasion and graft is estimated at Rs.22,528 crore.

:angry::angry:

You got to be kidding me. No one wants to buy made in India. There are zero luxury brands in India.

MADE IN INDA, LOL :haha:

The ONLY thing I've seen made in india is a $5 T-shirt at Liquidation World, the quality is so low that nobody even pay a attention to it. But I was still curious and shocked that there is actually something made in India. Honestly, made in india is a just a joke, keep them within india pls.:no:

I haven't seen Indian made products outside of Indian stores (actually there is only one Indian store in my city of 2 m) selling food, spices and some daily products. But besides food and spices, the other products are mainly sold to the small Indian community in the region.

Frankly speaking, except the agricultural products, nobody in China prefer Made in India

Frankly speaking, except the agricultural products, nobody in China prefer Made in India
Sure,my colleague gave me a bag of Darjeeling Tea,I forget whether I tasted.

chinese are the worst scum on the earth. the only motivation of chinese to survive is money. Look at how they are exploiting poor Africans and afghanistan to their benefits. China is one country that needs to be bombed out of the world map.

chinese here speak as if they never copied bajaj pulsar as gulsar :no:
shame shame shame...
never ever seen such a copycat nation which will basically copy everything they see..

chinese are the worst scum on the earth. the only motivation of chinese to survive is money. Look at how they are exploiting poor Africans and afghanistan to their benefits. China is one country that needs to be bombed out of the world map.

India has no exploitation. That's why Indians are moving away from democratic, free India to become slaves to Arab sheiks.

If you really want to bomb China, my advice is, bring it on. We welcome all challengers, buy one get nuked free.

By who india ? hmmm your free to hit first.

By who india ? hmmm your free to hit first.

To the contrary, there is a HUGE market for 'grey' and 'black' market Indian pharma/generic drugs in China. Especially, life-saving and related anti-cancer drugs like "geftinat." You will get a lot of hits if you do on-line searches in Chinese.

here's a quick example:
???,?,

I have had chinese friends request me to buy life-saving medicines on my trips to India for the treatment of their family members here in China. A lot of Chinese I know trust overseas generics more than their homegrown ones........so, there is more to it than meets the eye.

Check out these links to know more -

Nothing new here......both the Chinese and Indian marketplaces are filled with spurious counterparts......

Counterfeit Drugs Made In China Relabeled "Made In India" - The Consumerist

—>The Chinese poison train makes plenty of stops outside of the United States. When those stops are in developing countries, bad things can happen. Even worse things happen when dangerous products from China are intentionally mislabeled as being from another country. Say, India.

In this case, the dangerous products were fake antimalarial tablets destined for Nigeria. 642,000 people would have been affected had the Nigerian government not discovered the fake drugs and intercepted them. While the tablets were labeled "Made in India," evidence showed that they were produced in and shipped from China.

Both China and India are big players in the manufacture of generic drugs, and both export medicines to Africa. The Indian government is, understandably, concerned that the incident may hurt the reputation of India's pharmaceutical industry in Africa and elsewhere around the world. Rightly so, since India is more than capable of exporting their own fake drugs. No help from China needed. hahahahaha...good one!..funny!

BBC News - China and India battle fake drugs

fake medcine that killes tens of thousands of indian per year.
fake alchol that hundreds of indian.
That's indian quality.

Indian Model (Orignal) PULSAR
45879.jpg

Chinese Model (Copied) GULSAR
Gulsar186.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom