What's new

Lt Gen Naveed Mukhtar appointed as DG ISI

The Accountant

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan Army on Sunday made significant postings and transfers, including the transfer of the ISI chief and DG Rangers.

The development comes two weeks after Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa took over as Chief of Army Staff (COAS).

Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) in a statement announced that Lt Gen Naveed Mukhtar was appointed as DG ISI. He will replace Lt Gen Rizwan Akhtar who has been posted as President National Defence University (NDU).

Take a look: 7 major generals promoted to the rank of lieutenant general

Lt Gen Bilal Akbar has been appointed Chief of General Staff (CGS). The new CGS comes with a vast experience of dealing with internal security matters. Though his focus or responsibility as DG Rangers was Karachi, the transfer of Gen Bilal Akbar indicates the new COAS would like to give priority to internal security.

Lt Gen Rizwan Akhtar presently serving as DG Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) has been appointed President National Defence University (NDU). Lt Gen Nazir Butt, currently President NDU has been appointed Corps Commander Peshawar (11Corps). Lt Gen Hidayat ur Rehman, currently serving as Corps Comd Peshawar has been appointed Inspector General (IG)Training and Evaluation (IGT&E) at GHQ.

Similarly Lt Gen Asim Salim Bajwa, presently serving as Director General (DG) ISPR has been appointed Inspector General Arms (IG Arms) at GHQ. He was posted DG ISPR in June 2012 and promoted to Lt Gen in Sept 2015.

Newly promoted Lt Gen Hamayun Aziz has been appointed Inspector General C&IT at GHQ, while Lt Gen Qazi Ikram has been appointed Chief of Logistic Staff at GHQ. He was also among those promoted recently.

Newly promoted Lt Gen Sher Afgun has been posted 31 Corps Comd (Bahawalpur). Lt Gen Muhammad Afzal will continue as DG FWO. He was also recently promoted to the rank of Lt Gen. Newly promoted Lt Gen Naeem Ashraf has been appointed Chairman Heavy Industries Taxila(HIT).

The names for the incoming DG ISPR, DG Rangers have not yet been announced.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1301868/lt-gen-naveed-mukhtar-appointed-as-dg-isi
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pak...tm_medium=notification&utm_campaign=onesignal

ISLAMABAD – Lieutenant-General Naveed Mukhtar, is likely to be appointed as the new Director-General Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) to succeed Lieutenant-General Rizwan Akhtar, according to a local daily ‘Khabrain’.

The news came as a major reshuffle is underway in the army – the first since Gen Qamar took over the army’s command last month.

Lt-General Naveed Mukhtar, who was serving as a corps commander Karachi for two years was recently succeeded by Lt Gen Mirza.

Lieutenant-General Naveed Mukhtar was previously DG-CT in ISI and commander of 26 mechanised division in Bahawalpur. He joined the Army in 68 PMA. He grew his ranks till Major with 13 Lancers. Then he commanded 22 Cavalry. He is from the armoured corps.

On Friday, seven Major Generals were also promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General, according to the ISPR.

Incumbent director-general, General Rizwan Akhtar was appointed the DG of the country’s premier spy agency in September 2014 and took office in November 2014, when he replaced the retiring Lt Gen Zaheer-ul-Islam.

The appointment is normally for a three-year period unless the ISI chief retires or is replaced by the army chief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the whole team of Raheel Shareef is changing ??? Is it normal ?

I doubt its wise to change DG ISI before tenure as he has done remarkable job while keeping themselves away from power while forcing gov to move against corruption ....

If he has served in the ISI before, he might not be appointed as DG. Although he's one of the best candidates.

Its not changing, they have to perform duties on command and staff both, therefore, absolutely normal

I doubt its wise to change DG ISI before tenure as he has done remarkable job while keeping themselves away from power while forcing gov to move against corruption ....
DG ISI is not for four years so no question of "before tenure".

If he has served in the ISI before, he might not be appointed as DG. Although he's one of the best candidates.
Why if he has been appointed before he might not be nominated DG ISI ? Why serving earlier is a issue ?

These are routine rotations. This is why the Army is such a dynamic institution, its not the individual but the institution that functions. Rizwan Akhtar cannot really serve as the DG ISI forever, he has to be replaced after his tenure is up.

Most of the 2 and 3 stars were promoted during Raheel Sharif's tenure.

These are routine rotations. This is why the Army is such a dynamic institution, its not the individual but the institution that functions. Rizwan Akhtar cannot really serve as the DG ISI forever, he has to be replaced after his tenure is up.

Most of the 2 and 3 stars were promoted during Raheel Sharif's tenure.
But he was appointed in nov 14 ... This makes 2 years ... Normaly DG ISI is for three yyears ... Anyways i hope whatever decision general bajwa is taking it is for greater good of Pakistan and NAP plan gets implemented in its essence at all cost ... Islamic republic of Pakistan is abovbe all institutions and perons ... More important then every one of us ..

No issue at all ...Everyone knows his remarkable performance as DG CT ...I really really wish to see this young guy heading the ISI ...I don't see any other candidate better than Naveed Mukhtar Saab ...

I am not aware of that.

Gen Zaheer ul Islam had also served in ISI, before..but later became DG ISI too

I have heard he was the youngest officer to pass out of Command and Staff college Quetta.

No issue at all ...Everyone knows his remarkable performance as DG CT ...I really really wish to see this young guy heading the ISI ...I don't see any other candidate better than Naveed Mukhtar Saab ...

I am not aware of that.

I have heard he was the youngest officer to pass out of Command and Staff college Quetta.
That is very true ....young but very mature ...General Raheel kept him very close to himself ....if things go straight ...i bet he would be our COAS one day ...this guy has everything an ISI DG should have ...and if he came ...MQM and R&AW shall ben sent straight to hell ...

Lets see Gen Bajwa to take charge with new team and start stability, civil assistance and normalcy operations with full force. I expect him to do something on these lines. Thats how he can add something positive in existing equation.

Isn't Gen Naveed supposed to retire in Oct 2018, technically speaking?

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pak...tm_medium=notification&utm_campaign=onesignal

ISLAMABAD – Lieutenant-General Naveed Mukhtar, is likely to be appointed as the new Director-General Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) to succeed Lieutenant-General Rizwan Akhtar, according to a local daily ‘Khabrain’.

The news came as a major reshuffle is underway in the army – the first since Gen Qamar took over the army’s command last month.

Lt-General Naveed Mukhtar, who was serving as a corps commander Karachi for two years was recently succeeded by Lt Gen Mirza.

Lieutenant-General Naveed Mukhtar was previously DG-CT in ISI and commander of 26 mechanised division in Bahawalpur. He joined the Army in 68 PMA. He grew his ranks till Major with 13 Lancers. Then he commanded 22 Cavalry. He is from the armoured corps.

On Friday, seven Major Generals were also promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General, according to the ISPR.

Incumbent director-general, General Rizwan Akhtar was appointed the DG of the country’s premier spy agency in September 2014 and took office in November 2014, when he replaced the retiring Lt Gen Zaheer-ul-Islam.

The appointment is normally for a three-year period unless the ISI chief retires or is replaced by the army chief.
Appointed and confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom