What's new

Low turnout, More Violence as Kashmiris Boycott India Poll

Abu Zolfiqar

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Low turnout, more violence as Kashmiris boycott India poll - World - DAWN.COM

BARAMULLA: Protesters and police clashed but streets were otherwise largely deserted Wednesday in the final day of voting in Indian-occupied Kashmir for the national election, as boycott calls and fears of violence kept many voters away.

Turnout in the Kashmir Valley constituency voting was about 30 per cent two hours before polls closed.

Police fired tear gas at a crowd calling for a boycott of the election in the town of Baramulla where resentment against Indian rule of the region runs deep, an AFP correspondent said.

“These elections give these (Indian) forces the right to humiliate us, kill us and work against us. That is why I protest,” said Nazir Ahmed, who works on an orchard, in Baramulla.

A grenade exploded at a polling station outside the town but no one was injured, a security official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Turnout in the previous two days of balloting elsewhere in the valley was 25.6 per cent and 28 per cent.

India has long struggled to bring Muslim-majority Kashmir into the mainstream election process, and past polls have also been marred by violence and low turnout.

Hindu nationalist hardliner Narendra Modi and his opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which takes a strong stance on national security issues including Kashmir, are set to win the national election after a decade of Congress party rule.

Thousands of extra soldiers and police, along with sniffer dogs to detect explosives, were on patrol in Kashmir, while officials have said some 600 “miscreants” were rounded up ahead of voting to prevent violent protests.

Although streets were deserted in the towns, voters turned out in villages elsewhere in Baramulla constituency, where some hold out hope that a new government could bring much-needed development.

“I know about the boycott called by separatists, but they are not the ones who can help us get roads and good water supply,” said 70-year-old Abdul Ahad, a resident of Panzinara village, after casting his vote.

“We need people to talk about us where it matters.”

A resident of Dangerpora village said as he waited to vote: “We will not achieve anything by fighting. All issues can be solved if we have peace.”

About a dozen rebel groups have since 1989 been fighting Indian forces, either for independence or for merger of the territory with neighbouring Pakistan.

The fighting has left tens of thousands dead, most of them civilians.

Kashmir was divided between India and Pakistan soon after the two countries, who both claim the Himalayan region in full, gained independence from Britain in 1947.

Along with Baramulla, the mainly Buddhist area of Ladakh high in the Himalayas of the Kashmir region was also voting on Wednesday.

Some 64 seats throughout the country were up for grabs in the penultimate stage of the election, which wraps up on May 12 with results announced four days later.

Typical article meant for Pakistani audience: low on facts, low on intelligence, high on rhetoric.

Meanwhile:

Jammu & Kashmir recorded polling percentage of 49.98% as per last report: Vinod Zutshi, deputy election commissioner

I dont know what constitutes low turnout in Pakistan, but more than 50% is considered normal in any State of India.

Last edited:
As if Baramula is whole kashmir . It is the one of the very few hinterland in Kashmir that has not yet be tamed and will be tamed soon .

Meanwhile:

Jammu & Kashmir recorded polling percentage of 49.98% as per last report: Vinod Zutshi, deputy election commissioner

This 49.98% seems to be number of rapists in Indian population than poling rate of IOK. Anyways this picture says a lot about today's elections...

BnBR5j0CYAA55tn.jpg large.jpg

Kashmiri youth voting.... I mean pelting stones on a poling station in Doabgah in IOK on 7 May 2014.

Typical article meant for Pakistani audience: low on facts, low on intelligence, high on rhetoric.

For a bharati suffering with autism like you. Here are non Pakistani sources reporting the same as Dawn.

Clashes and violence mar polls in Indian Kashmir | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

More violence in Jammu & Kashmir amidst call for election boycott | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Times of Oman | News :: Clashes erupt on Indian Kashmir’s final election day

Violence again hits India election - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

More violence as Kashmiris boycott India elections amid tight security

Arrests as #KashmirBoycott of elections continues

Meanwhile:

I dont know what constitutes low turnout in Pakistan, but more than 50% is considered normal in any State of India.

it's Dawn - which is a hyper liberal publication....and on purpose i posted Dawn since our 'treasured' indian guests here cite it constantly, at least when it suits them

at the end of the day and in simple words - Kashmiris by and large reject indian occupation and I dont see that ground reality changing in the near or distant future......only through draconian measures can indians go on the whole "integral part of india" bandwagon.....even the Chief Minister proclaims that -- and it would be hard to make the argument he's an "ISI agent" (which is also another famous line of you people)

touche

it's Dawn - which is a hyper liberal publication....and on purpose i posted Dawn since our 'treasured' indian guests here cite it constantly, at least when it suits them

at the end of the day and in simple words - Kashmiris by and large reject indian occupation and I dont see that ground reality changing in the near or distant future......only through draconian measures can indians go on the whole "integral part of india" bandwagon.....even the Chief Minister proclaims that -- and it would be hard to make the argument he's an "ISI agent" (which is also another famous line of you people)

touche

What you say?

Should I post dozens of pictures from IOK from today to expose lies of Bharati's or just let them go. Halka hath rakhon ya nahi?

As if Baramula is whole kashmir . It is the one of the very few hinterland in Kashmir that has not yet be tamed and will be tamed soon .

and how will it be "tamed"

more mass graves, rapes and fake encounters your 'men' have become famous for?

What you say?

Should I post dozens of pictures from IOK from today to expose lies of Bharati's or just let them go. Halka hath rakhon ya nahi?

imagery always speaks thousands of words

Oh look!

A couple of teenagers threw stones at a building! Separatists gave a boycott call ! Damn! Thats so unique to Kashmir!

Damn! These elections with over 50% people voting in Kashmir have been a clear failure!

Intelligence really is at a premium beyond the western border of India.

Oh look!

A couple of teenagers threw stones at a building! Separatists gave a boycott call ! Damn! Thats so unique to Kashmir!

Damn! These elections with over 50% people voting in Kashmir have been a clear failure!

Intelligence really is at a premium beyond the western border of India.
Please avoid this thread from now on. For any claims of Pakistanis - our answer is - yes you are right.

Please avoid this thread from now on. For any claims of Pakistanis - our answer is - yes you are right.
I dont understand are they so incapable of understanding facts and logic? What is it in Pakistanis that makes them immune to intelligence?

There is another chap on the Sri Lankan nuclear deal thread talking about how Pakistan is number 1 in nuclear technology in South Asia...and then justifies it by saying US has said they have more nuclear warheads!

I mean...what do you even say to such people?!

Back
Top Bottom