What's new

Literacy in Pakistan 1947-2014

According to express tribune in the last year literacy has dropped from 61% to 58%. This is a very dangerous precedent and a precarious situation. We need to send each and every little kid to school.

5548c5546036d-jpg.227724

We need to focus on red and orange regions

If we manage to get entire South Asia educated.. up in the 90 % from Afghanistan to Myanmar.. That in itself would solve more than half our problems..

And by education I mean good formal education (universal - both boys and girls), not theological, religious etc..

Exactly my thoughts. But as noted by @colorlesssky politicians are probably keeping illiteracy as a tool to keep them in power. If you look closely at the graphs, literacy rate accelerates under military rule and slacks under political governments. There is a method to this madness.

Bolded part.
I don't think that is the major reason for the relatively low literacy in Pakistan. It maybe true that in some villages of Sindh/Punjab and in some tribal areas of Baluchistan the local head honcho might not want educated populace but I really think the impact is far too little to account for the problem. I believe it is the general apathy of the political class not only toward literacy but also toward sanitation, industry, and social issues.

The military numbers are high because the military, while truly more 'efficient' in governance, also had the longer stay in power--by 1988 General Zia alone had rule for about 25% of Pakistan's history!-- and didn't particularly were preoccupied with political issues unlike the politicians had to. A small example: How much time and money was spent by the PMLN govt when facing the Imran Khan's Dharnas in 2014?

Someone told me that if everyone will be well educated, who will work in farms?

Bolded part.
I don't think that is the major reason for the relatively low literacy in Pakistan. It maybe true that in some villages of Sindh/Punjab and in some tribal areas of Baluchistan the local head honcho might not want educated populace but I really think the impact is far too little to account for the problem. I believe it is the general apathy of the political class not only toward literacy but also toward sanitation, industry, and social issues.

The military numbers are high because the military, while truly more 'efficient' in governance, also had the longer stay in power--by 1988 General Zia alone had rule for about 25% of Pakistan's history!-- and didn't particularly were preoccupied with political issues unlike the politicians had to. A small example: How much time and money was spent by the PMLN govt when facing the Imran Khan's Dharnas in 2014?

Civilian governments have ruled Pakistan more than military now. Point was crossed in early 2014. Roughly out of 69 years of Pakistan, military ruled 33 years (1958 to 1971=13, 1977-1988=11, 1999-2008=9 yrs) and politicians ruled 36. There is more to this than just apathy. Imran Khan’s dharna only crippled a small portion of Islamabad. Rest of the country was absolutely open to business. Besides since coming to power Nawaz Sharif (or PPP for that matter) never put anything substantial for education. Situation seems different in the times of military rulers. Coincidence? Not likely.

Someone told me that if everyone will be well educated, who will work in farms?

Educated farmers employing advanced techniques of farming and increasing agriculture output two or maybe threefold. Sounds good?

World's 10 most illiterate #BurkinaFaso #SouthSudan #Afghanistan #Niger #Mali #Chad #Somalia #Ethopia #Guinea #Benin

10 Countries With the Worst Literacy Rates in the World | Care2 Causes

Barely anyone — one to two percent of the population — could read in ancient Rome and nobody thought more people should. Now we recognize that literacy is a human right; that being able to read and write is personally empowering and, in a world that relies more and more on technology, simply necessary.

Nonetheless, millions of children, the majority of whom are girls, still never learn to read and write today (pdf). This Sunday, September 8, is International Literacy Day, an event that Unesco has been observing for more than 40 years to highlight how essential literacy is to learning and also “for eradicating poverty, reducing child mortality, curbing population growth, achieving gender equality and ensuring sustainable development, peace and democracy.”

774 million people aged 15 and older are illiterate, an infographic (pdf) from Unesco details. 52 percent (pdf) live in south and west Asia and 22 percent in sub-Saharan Africa. The latter region is where most of the countries with the lowest literacy rates in the world are located, according to data from the C.I.A.:

1. Burkina Faso: 21.8 percent of the adults in this West African country are literate.

2. South Sudan: This country in east Africa, which became an independent state in 2011, has a literary rate of 27 percent.

3 Afghanistan: 28.1 percent of this country’s population are literate with a far higher percentage of men (43.1 percent) than women (12.6 percent) able to read.

4. Niger: The ratio of men to women in this landlocked western African country is also lopsided: the literacy rate is 42.9 percent for men, 15.1 percent for women and 28.7 percent overall.

5. Mali: Niger’s neighbor on the west, the literacy rate in Mali is 33.4 percent. 43.1 percent of the adult male population can read and 24.6 percent of the country’s women.

6. Chad: This west African country is Niger’s neighbor on its eastern border; 34.5 percent of its population is literate.

7. Somalia: Long beset by civil war and famine, 37.8 of Somalia’s population is literate. 49.7 percent of the adult male population is literate but only 25.8 percent of adult females.

8. Ethiopia: Somalia’s neighbor to the north, the literacy rate in Ethiopia is 39 percent.

9. Guinea: 41 percent of this west African country’s population is literate. More than half (52 percent) of adult males are literature and only 30 percent of women.

10. Benin: 42.4 percent of Benin in West Africa are literate.

Around the world, two-thirds of adults who are illiterate are female, meaning that there are 493 women unable to read and write.

54 of the 76 million illiterate young women come from nine countries, most in south and west Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa and not necessarily those with high rates of adult illiteracy: India (where almost 30 million young women are illiterate), Pakistan, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, the Democratic Republic of Congo, the United Republic of Tanzania, Egypt and Burkina Faso.
first we need to define literacy .. I mean speaking English should not be the criteria of Literacy

Civilian governments have ruled Pakistan more than military now. Point was crossed in early 2014. Roughly out of 69 years of Pakistan, military ruled 33 years (1958 to 1971=13, 1977-1988=11, 1999-2008=9 yrs) and politicians ruled 36. There is more to this than just apathy. Imran Khan’s dharna only crippled a small portion of Islamabad. Rest of the country was absolutely open to business. Besides since coming to power Nawaz Sharif (or PPP for that matter) never put anything substantial for education. Situation seems different in the times of military rulers. Coincidence? Not likely.

Educated farmers employing advanced techniques of farming and increasing agriculture output two or maybe threefold. Sounds good?
well they are rich farmers. Most of the crops are harvested by traditional ways with help of uneducated labourers. You gotta visit fields of ghandum kapas ganna maqai dhaan my friend.

well they are rich farmers. Most of the crops are harvested by traditional ways with help of uneducated labourers. You gotta visit fields of ghandum kapas ganna maqai dhaan my friend.

Lol...Man I know. I'm from Pakistan. Point is the poor and educated is two different things. Our educated class has somehow made it synonymous. Why the farmer working in the field can't be educated? Does he not have the right to education or educated class fears they won't get cheap labour anymore?

Hardly any difference still around 60% mark... shameful and embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom