What's new

Lebanon's Hariri says could share power with Hezbollah

Ethylene glycol is my guess :D

That's a good guess.

I would have preferred polonium-210 myself. Nice way to go.

article-2502491-195CB84800000578-56_634x503.jpg

:D

:lol:

@Wahhab2701 your comments.

But Iran under the Shah was an ally of Israel. So how does that makes any sense?:o:o_O

Yeah its a bit complicated. Secretly I think the Shah didnt really like Israel, but because of pressure from US (and Israel lobby), had to maintain diplomatic relations. Iran was Israel's most important ally, in "Israel's doctrine of the periphery".

However wherever he had some latitude he would support still some groups, even if they were hostile to Israel.

@ResurgentIran

Everyone is an enemy in the end of the day since we all fight for power. But you can't deny that Iran and Israel are logical allies in a region completely dominated by Arabs. Sunni Arabs even. Arabs are the main enemies of both Israel and Iranians. At least naturally.

@ResurgentIran

Everyone is an enemy in the end of the day since we all fight for power. But you can't deny that Iran and Israel are logical allies in a region completely dominated by Arabs. Sunni Arabs even. Arabs are the main enemies of both Israel and Iranians. At least naturally.

Good, good, now honestly, tell me, would you prefer an Iran-Israel-U.S. alliance or a more friendlier Iran with its current regime?

@ResurgentIran

Everyone fight for power indeed, but its not about race. Arabs are not a united entity. You have to look at each Arab state differendly that have interests of its own.
Just look at Saddam Hussein's Iraq and Kuwait. Iraq views Kuwait as a natural extension of itself (historlically), but Kuwait acts as a state with different interests that do not wish Iraqi annexation.
Btw Iran and Egypt (most powerful Arab state) had very good relations during Shah. Although Egypt is a competitor, but not on the account of it being Arab. Its a competitor just like Turkey is a strategic competitor. At the end of the day its not about race, although some countries would portray it in such way for their own strategic interests.

Good, good, now honestly, tell me, would you prefer an Iran-Israel-U.S. alliance or a more friendlier Iran with its current regime?

I have not really an opinion about that since the GCC is doing more than fine without both. But I don't think there is any worse than the Mullah's. Right now Iran is a a pariah state. If it became a trustable ally of the world it would be better for the region.
I also believe that it is a question of time before the Israeli-Palestinain conflict is resolved.

@ResurgentIran

Well not all Arab states but more or less all of them are when it comes to Israel and Iran. All of them are against Israel and only one is not against Iran actively and that is Iraq. Rest are Sunni Arab states (vast majority).

No, Iraqi and Kuwaiti relations are good now. The only possibility of any annexation of any Arab country with another is through common unions. The smaller Arabs states would in this case naturally merge with their bigger neighbors. For instance the GCC. All the states would merge with KSA and Yemen as well. If there was a merger. Jordan too. Syria, Lebanon and Palestine would be one body possibly with Iraq. But that's just empty theories.

Egypt is far from being the most powerful Arab country today. Far from it. They have somewhat of a bleak future if you ask me. At least the nearest one. Population size matters little. Yemen has nearly 30 million people and the fastest growing population in the ME and the history (one of the most ancient civilizations on earth) but they are the most poor Arab state. It is clear that the GCC is the leading Arab player now. BTW Egypt and the GCC always had great relations, or should I say KSA at least. We are neighbors and are tied in blood, geography, language, religion, ancient civilization ties, dialect etc. At least my region Hijaz is the closest to Egypt, the Levant and Yemen in all aspects.

Anyway I don't see any mergers happening right now.

I have not really an opinion about that since the GCC is doing more than fine without both. But I don't think there is any worse than the Mullah's. Right now Iran is a a pariah state. If it became a trustable ally of the world it would be better for the region.
I also believe that it is a question of time before the Israeli-Palestinain conflict is resolved.

@ResurgentIran

Well not all Arab states but more or less all of them are when it comes to Israel and Iran. All of them are against Israel and only one is not against Iran actively and that is Iraq. Rest are Sunni Arab states (vast majority).

No, Iraqi and Kuwaiti relations are good now. The only possibility of any annexation of any Arab country with another is through common unions. The smaller Arabs states would in this case naturally merge with their bigger neighbors. For instance the GCC. All the states would merge with KSA and Yemen as well. If there was a merger. Jordan too. Syria, Lebanon and Palestine would be one body possibly with Iraq. But that's just empty theories.

Egypt is far from being the most powerful Arab country today. Far from it. They have somewhat of a bleak future if you ask me. At least the nearest one. Population size matters little. Yemen has nearly 30 million people and the fastest growing population in the ME and the history (one of the most ancient civilizations on earth) but they are the most poor Arab state. It is clear that the GCC is the leading Arab player now. BTW Egypt and the GCC always had great relations, or should I say KSA at least. We are neighbors and are tied in blood, geography, language, religion, ancient civilization ties, dialect etc. At least my region Hijaz is the closest to Egypt, the Levant and Yemen in all aspects.

Anyway I don't see any mergers happening right now.

Not all Sunni Arab states view Iran as enemy. Enemy is a strong word.
Egypt is the Arab superpower, please dont kid yourselves about it.

I have not really an opinion about that since the GCC is doing more than fine without both. But I don't think there is any worse than the Mullah's. Right now Iran is a a pariah state. If it become a trustable ally of the world it would be better for the region.
But as you said earlier yourself, everyone will ultimately fight for more influence, I don't know how familiar you are with politics of EU, but even there keeping the system from collapsing is incredibly difficult, hell, even U.S. has this problem, and we are talking about democracies. Every average Joe in middle-east wants to rule, that makes it even more difficult.

Not all Sunni Arab states view Iran as enemy. Enemy is a strong word.
Egypt is the Arab superpower, please dont kid yourselves about it.

Enemy in a possible confrontation.

We had this discussion many times and even Egyptian members and other Arabs not from KSA were of the same opinion. Egypt is not a Arab superpower. Not right now. I think this is evident. Look at the economy. It is non-existent nearly. Great social etc. difficulties. No resources, not much production etc. There are many Arab states that are doing much better. I hope that Egypt turns it around because they have the human resources by virtue of their big population to become a "superpower" or at least being among the powers of the Arab world economically and politically if they get their act together.

As I said if you are so focused on population size then Bangladesh would be a world power. And half of Africa. But they are not.

Egypt was once the major Arab power but not anymore.

But as you said earlier yourself, everyone will ultimately fight for more influence, I don't know how familiar you are with politics of EU, but even there keeping the system from collapsing is incredibly difficult, hell, even U.S. has this problem, and we are talking about democracies. Every average Joe in middle-east wants to rule, that makes it even more difficult.

Yes, but there are certain issues where people will always unite and the rulers too. Such as a confrontation with a hostile Israel or hostile Iran. But there are conflicting interests inside every country across the world so.

I think that a lot of positives will occur once the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will be solved.

Enemy in a possible confrontation.

We had this discussion many times and even Egyptian members and other Arabs not from KSA were of the same opinion. Egypt is not a Arab superpower. Not right now. I think this is evident. Look at the economy. It is non-existent nearly. Great social etc. difficulties. No resources, not much production etc. There are many Arab states that are doing much better.

As I said if you are so focused on population size then Bangladesh would be a world power. And half of Africa. But they are not.

Its not just population size, although it is significant. Egypt has traditionally been the major Arab center of power. Its people are well educated. Right now Egypt is bit of a dormant, in terms of influence. In part due to peace treaty with Israel.
But I have no doubt that should it rise it crush all Arab states in terms of influence and power. It will be the most powerful Arab state, spreading its power in the Arabian peninsula, Levant and the Maghreb.

The future of the region will significantly be led and governed by Egypt. It is the Arab superpower, period.

@Mahmoud_EGY @agentny17 @Frogman

Last edited:
Its not just population size, although it is significant. Egypt has traditionally been the major Arab center of power. Its people are well educated. Right now Egypt is bit of a dormant, in terms of influence. In part due to peace treaty with Israel.
But I have no doubt that should it rise it crush all Arab states in terms of influence and power. It will be the most powerful Arab state, spreading its power in the Arabian peninsula, Levant and the Maghreb.

The future of the region will significantly be led and governed by Egypt. It is the Arab superpower, period.

Well-educated?

Egypt has a literary rate of just 74% (2012)

List of countries by literacy rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has never been really prosperous. That is why you have had Egyptian migrant workers in Arab countries such as Iraq and the GCC states since the 1960's.

Egypt faces a lot of problems from scarce water resources, overpopulation, (99% of all people live on 5% of all the land of Egypt), political unrest etc.

A LOT has to change before Egypt will become a superpower of the Arab world that will be able to influence politics in Levant, remaining North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

I know that this is just a kid but he makes a lot of correct points:

GCC is the leading force in the Arab world and I quite frankly do not see that change anytime soon.

Well-educated?

Egypt has a literary of just 74% (2012)

List of countries by literacy rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has never been really prosperous. That is why you have had Egyptian migrant workers in Arab countries such as Iraq and the GCC states since the 1960's.

Egypt faces a lot of problems from scarce water resources, overpopulation, (99% of all people live on 5% of all the land of Egypt), political unrest etc.

Yes it has problems right now, but I mainly mean the potential and future reality. Egypt right now is "sleeping". But when it wakes up and Egypt rises again (which it will), it will be BY FAR the most powerful conventional Arab state, as it has always been. Cairo is traditionally the power center.
Egypt has thousands of year old vibrant history of strong national cohesion (unlike the other Arab states, many of them very "fake") and equally long history of strong national institutions.
It will be the leading Arab country.
Again, dont kid yourself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom