What's new

Learn to speak Farsi/ Persian on PDF!

Hello everyone. I had made a similar post on another forum so I thought to make one here as well. I hope other Farsi speaking members on this forum contribute as well. I'd be happy to answer queries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Phonetics

a - as in "alarm"
æ - as in "cat"
b - as in "book"
d - as in "dog"
ch - as in "chair"
e - as in "net"
f - as in "fine"
g - as in "gum"
q/gh - a hard "g" from throat
h - as in "hat
i/ee - as in "need"
j - as in "jump"
jh/zh - like french "j," as in "je" or chinese "zhou", or "s" in "measure"
k - as in "keg"
kh/x - throat sound, as in german "tochter" or scottish "loch"
l- as in "letter"
m - as in "mother"
n - as in "night"
o - as in "note"
p - as in "poke"
r- as in "root" (have a accent on the "r," like a regular spanish "r" in "naranja")
s - as in "sigh"
sh - as in "shoe"
t - as in "type"
u/oo - as in spanish "luna"
v/w - as in "van" ("v" in Irani dialect, "w" in Afghan Dari & Tajiki dialects)
y - as in "yawn"
z - as in "zoo"

Some Clarification of Roots

(Ar.) - means word is of Arabic decent
(Tk.) - means word is of Turkic decent
(Fr.) - means of French decent
(Foreign) - means that the word is not originally Iranic

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Firstly, some basic introductions and other phrases

sælam = hello (Ar.)

dorud = hello [traditional]

dorud bær shoma = hello/blessings upon you [formal]

Khoda hafez (Khodafez) = goodbye {may God remember you} (hafez = protector (Ar.))

bedorud = goodbye [traditional]

hal e shoma chetor æst? = how are you? {how is your health?} [formal]

hal e tun chetor æst? = how are you? {how is your health}

chetóri? = wassup?

khosh amædi = welcome {you come with happiness}

sobh bekheir; bamdad khosh = good morning

ruz bekheir/ ruz khosh = good day (kheir = good (Ar.))

shæb bekheir/ shæb khosh = goodnight/evening

mersi = thanks (Fr.)

Motshæker/ Tæshækor = thank you (Ar.)

sepas = Thank you [traditional]

sepas gozar hæstæm = I am thankful [formal]

khosh bashi = may you be well/happy

zende bashi = may you stay alive

nam e shoma che æst? = what is your name [formal]

esm e tun chist? = what is your name? (esm = name (Ar.))

to ki hæsti? = who are you?

shoma ki hæstid? = who are you? [formal]

mobaræk = congratulations (Ar.)

Khoda be hæmra e tun bashæd = may God be with you

ruz e khubi dasht e bashin = may you have a good day

nam e mæn ..... æst = my name is .....

are = yes

bæle = yes [formal]

næ, ne = no

khub, nik, beh = good

bæd = bad

khub æst = it is good

bæd æst= it is bad

beh'tær = better

bæd'tær = worse

memnoon
nizare lotfetoon iran e azad o Pakistan :cheers:

Dari is older version, no ?

Myself is not clear on its details, perhaps pasban would give more information about it. But in Afghanistan, the language used to be called Farsi a few decades ago, it was changed to Dari based on some political and bigotry reasons which i dont intend to talk about it. But the term Dari has been used in the past by famous poets such as Hazrate Hafiz and Hazrate Saadi which puts Dari equal to Persian. People have different opinion on the origin of Dari, some people say it is derived from the word Darbar(court?), since this language have always been the langue of court for a very very long time in the wider region, so it took the name of Dari or Darbari, but some other people argue and say since the language was a sweet one with nice tune, it was called after a Partridge called Dari(Kabke Dari). We shouldnt forget that Persian was also changed to Tajiki in central asia(Tajikistan, Samarqand and Bukhara) by the Soviets, their motive was also nasty and political. Since persian is arguebly the second language of Islam, the Soviets wanted to give it a different name to cut it off from the rest of persian speaking world and eventually they forget about everthing, we shouldnt forget that many famouse muslim scholars such as Bukhari, Nisai, Imam Muslim Nishapori, Abu Hanifa(Had persian orgin in Afghanisan, but was born in Kofa) many others, so it was a good reason for the soviets to take that decision.

I will start posting here my understanding of Persian, hope to have guidence from you guys,

I think that learning Persian should have started from Grammer, rather than how to speak thing, you cannot make someone speak unless he/she is able to understand...

once we are able to understand whats written, then it would be easy for us to think of listening and then speaking....

You are right, to learn a language, you need to learn its basic grammer.

I would like to quote Rumi who is becoming more and more famous in west nowadays.

man gung-e-khuwab dida o alam tamam kur,
man ajazim guftan o khalq az shuneed-e-insh
Rumi

forgive me if its wrongly written :undecided:

Althgout i havent heard that poem before, but it looks like it is right. yes, Mulana Jalaludin Muhammad Balkhi(Rumi) is very very famous in persian poetry, it seems like he has paved his way to america as well.

I know Eshgheman means my love :)

Janeman means my soul ;)

------------------------------------------------------

Guy's what's the difference between Farsi and Dari? What about Tajik? Mutually intelligible?

Myself is not clear on its details, perhaps pasban would give more information about it. But in Afghanistan, the language used to be called Farsi a few decades ago, it was changed to Dari based on some political and bigotry reasons which i dont intend to talk about it.

Ahmad.

Isn't true that there is some difference in dialectic(non-formal) between Iranian and Afghani(Kabul) Farsi. As I understand that Afghan version is more aggressive than Iranian. I mean Iranian version is softer and articulate than Afghan(non-formal). Correct me if I am wrong or misinformed.

Ahmad.

Isn't true that there is some difference in dialectic(non-formal) between Iranian and Afghani(Kabul) Farsi. As I understand that Afghan version is more aggressive than Iranian. I mean Iranian version is softer and articulate than Afghan(non-formal). Correct me if I am wrong or misinformed.
You pretty much nailed it. Afghan Persian is more by the book while in Iran you hear more slang. Also, the accent is more feminine.

There is usually a difference between the written and spoken language in Iran (degree is different depending on the person and the region he/she hails from).

Guy's what's the difference between Farsi and Dari? What about Tajik? Mutually intelligible?
Yep they are basically one language, differences are mainly in pronunciation and loanwords
ishqman or eshqeman ?
In Iranian Persian and Dari we say all short 'i' things as short 'e'
So in Iranian it is "eshq-e man", in Tajiki "ishq-i man"
As it is 'ishq' in Urdu
I know Eshgheman means my love :)

Janeman means my soul ;)
Yeah I think Urdu- and Persian-speakers can understand 30-40% of each others words and it's cool ;) :tup:

So they say joon instead of jaan?

lol yeah

Remember, Iranian Persian is much more relaxed compared to Afghan Persian. It's not necessary to follow the written language completely. so even though we write "jan", we always say "joon."

Last edited by a moderator:
lol yeah

Remember, Iranian Persian is much more relaxed compared to Afghan Persian. It's not necessary to follow the written language completely. so even though we write "jan", we always say "joon."

Oh word. Lol, Iranians are like the french of the middle east.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmn....! I had thought that Dari was closer to Ancient Persian whereas the Present Day Farsi of Iran is the Persian Language that evolved over time...!

Farsi was official language of Bengal(Bangladesh) until 1838. Now a days, Farsi is limited to Madrasa. The Bangla language(Muslim version) was once Farsi based but over the year it has been losing it's ground due to out side influenced. It's a shame really.

Back
Top Bottom