What's new

Learn to speak Farsi/ Persian on PDF!

what is the vowels in farsi?

Ahmad jaan, Persian heavily stresses on it's present vowels of which there are six in total. They are divided between the short and long vowels (three vowels in each). In different regions, the vowels are pronounced differently. Since you live in the UK, take the example of a Scotsman pronouncing English vowels and a Welshman person pronouncing the same. Though the vowels are same, the regional variations affect them and thus Iranian Farsi sounds slightly different from Afghani Farsi (Dari; excluding the other minor grammatical & regional differences of course) and from Tajik Farsi/Tajiki (though all three are the same tongue). I will go into detail with this when I do my Persian alphabet post soon.

Right, but i was refering to the shared vocabulary which might make it easier for them to learn. Another easy thing in Persian is the absence of Femenine and Masculine. In Farsi there is nothing like that. In Urdo we say(if I am not wrong): Achha Larka and Achee Larkee. But in Farsi we Say: پسر خوب (good boy) and دختر خوب(good girl)

خوب means good and it was the same for girl(دختر) and for boy(پسر) and it didnt change, but in case of Urdo it differed, اچها and اچهی(spelling?)

Gulistan and also Shahnama is one of the masterpieces of persian language. Your Grand Ma's farsi skills must be really good to understand them.

Not exactly. What you are mentioning is Hindi, not Urdu. A woman are also known as 'Khatoon' or 'Aurat' in Urdu. In Urdu, good looking is written as 'khoob' & 'soorat'; khoob meaning good & soorat looks. Another e.g: reflection is also known as 'Shabeeh'. There are also streets in Pakistan called 'Khiaban-e-Ghazi' for example. "Bahaar" is also referred to Spring in Urdu. Newspapers are also called "Akhbaar" in Urdu. "Gulistan-e-Jauhar" is also a famous area in Karachi, Pakistan. Countless other examples.

I am posting this link of me speaking in pure Urdu. I am sure you might get a glimpse of the Farsi words in there, but unfortunately, my accent is pure Urdu & completely different from Farsi, even though I'll be using many of the same words as you might use. And the Urdu words I am using are regular ones, nothing too advanced. I am sure if you read Urdu poetry, you will find it very similar to Farsi. And I am a native Urdu speaker. I can understand some Farsi as well if it is spoken very slowly, & if I can co-relate the Farsi accent to my Urdu one.

Farsi/Tajik/Dari speakers, can you tell me if you understood some of the words I used in my video? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Really appreciate any feedback from Farsi/Tajik/Dari speakers.

bilal, the first 45 seconds I understood nothing but after that I started picking up a couple of words. I'm sure if I listen to it a few times and get used to the accent then i can get most of the Parsi words.

I've noticed that we iranians have a really hard time understanding the Afghan accent but Afghans can easily understand ours! It's sad actually cuz Afghan farsi is the proper Farsi. Iranian Parsi is very simplified. It has its positives though.

I've noticed that we iranians have a really hard time understanding the Afghan accent but Afghans can easily understand ours! It's sad actually cuz Afghan farsi is the proper Farsi. Iranian Parsi is very simplified. It has its positives though.

maybe a bit lazy and dont put efforts to familiarize themsevles with our accent, otherwise there is no any problem. I am not sure if you have heard persian of Bukhara and Samarqand? their accent is totally different from the rest of us, it has some similarites with the persian of Balkh province of Afghanistan, but still differnt, it only needs a bit of focus to know it and thats it.

What is the difference between Farsi and Dari?

mostly the accent. The loan words are also different. We got our loan words from French, Afghans got their loan words from the English language and Tajiks got it from Russian. Other than that it's pretty much the same. Also in Iran we have a much higher tolerance for slang words and that has changed the way we talk today as opposed to Iranians a century ago. On paper though all three countries write exactly the same way. BBC Persian, for example, can be understood by any Parsi speaker on earth all the same. The difference is in the verbal part of the language.

Exactly the same thing, like american ad british english.

Dari is older version, no ?

I will start posting here my understanding of Persian, hope to have guidence from you guys,

I think that learning Persian should have started from Grammer, rather than how to speak thing, you cannot make someone speak unless he/she is able to understand...

once we are able to understand whats written, then it would be easy for us to think of listening and then speaking....

I would like to quote Rumi who is becoming more and more famous in west nowadays.

man gung-e-khuwab dida o alam tamam kur,
man ajazim guftan o khalq az shuneed-e-insh
Rumi

forgive me if its wrongly written :undecided:

Back
Top Bottom